Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    They are not wrong pronunciations, they are unexpected pronunciations. Without shibboleths, how would you know who was local and who was a transplant?

Around here we have Berlin and New Berlin, both pronounced BURR-lin. Also, Teutonia Ave is pronounce TIE-tone-yah

SE WI?

Yep. A proud cheesehead.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    FUN reading, so many mispronunciations at this website...and people using correct pronunciations are often verbally attacked:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-584913.html
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options

I'm curious... How do you pronounce it correctly? I need some phonetics here.

kike in doll

Thanks I was curious too. I would never have guessed "kike in doll".
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Always crack me up when yanks say ...

Eye-Rack

Eye-tal-ians

Oh and they never get the town of Leominster right .... (it's Lemster BTW)

PS ... Aluminium ..bwhaaaaaaaaaa
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Gonna have a bob -e-q out in the yad, invite Peta and Linder and cook up some of them Lobstah! :bigsmile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Amerigo
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The one that I wonder about is Carnegie. Andrew Carnegie was from Pittsburgh, but was a titan of industry world wide. As such many places are named after him, New York for example. But everyone else pronounces it Car-nuh-Gee while we say it Car-Nay-Gee.

I really hope everyone else is saying it wrong and not us.

Andrew CAR- NAY- GEE came from Scotland and that is how you say it...with a hard 'G'

And for the record - it's Edin- buh-ruh- NOT Edinboro or Edinburg; Glas GO not Glas-GOW and Aber-DEEN not AH -berdeen. There's American 'English' then there's PROPER English!!
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I am irritated when people say FO-ward for FORward, as well as when they pronounce February as Feb-u-ary!
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's known as "regional dialects". If this is your biggest problem today, thank the Almighty for your good fortune! Might not be a bad idea to pull the log out of your butt as well....................
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    It's known as "regional dialects". If this is your biggest problem today, thank the Almighty for your good fortune! Might not be a bad idea to pull the log out of your butt as well....................

This board is called "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" ... lighten up Francis..:tongue::tongue:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    As a person raised in Michigan, I must add "Sault St. Marie" to this discussion.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's one for the Brits: Gloucestershire. I think I recall it without the "ce" in there, but I'm not sure.

There are many tricky areas in London, too. Marylebone looks to be read Mary-le-bone, but I vaguely remember Maryl-bone.

Yep glos-ter-shire. Same as Leicestershire -les-ter-shire.
    My husband and I both say mar-lee-bone.
    Ah ha! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Missed off a bit... Neither of us are from London so we may possibly be wrong.... Although that'd make everyone I've ever played monopoly* with wrong too. (*it's one of the stations). :)

Edit to add an apostrophe. Just incase it bothers fellow pedants.

I am an Londoner - we say Marl-e-bone / Glos-ter-shear / Les-ter-shear

My biggest grip is the mispronunciation of Leicester square - its not Lie-cess-ter Square its Les-ter Square. If you are a US tourist in London and you pronounce this correctly then you'll be well respected :)
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Okay, here's one for the Brits: Gloucestershire. I think I recall it without the "ce" in there, but I'm not sure.

There are many tricky areas in London, too. Marylebone looks to be read Mary-le-bone, but I vaguely remember Maryl-bone.

Yep glos-ter-shire. Same as Leicestershire -les-ter-shire.
    My husband and I both say mar-lee-bone.
    Ah ha! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Missed off a bit... Neither of us are from London so we may possibly be wrong.... Although that'd make everyone I've ever played monopoly* with wrong too. (*it's one of the stations). :)

Edit to add an apostrophe. Just incase it bothers fellow pedants.

I am an Londoner - we say Marl-e-bone / Glos-ter-shear / Les-ter-shear

My biggest grip is the mispronunciation of Leicester square - its not Lie-cess-ter Square its Les-ter Square. If you are a US tourist in London and you pronounce this correctly then you'll be well respected :)

Assuming "Marl-e-bone" is eeeee as in knee not e as in egg then I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. Lol. And yep 'shire' = "shear" as in rhyming with hear and ear; not "shire" (as in the place hobbits live).
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    PS I love phonics.
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    Options
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    well to that I say the word is aluminium not "al -U -Min -e-um"
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*

Dead right :-p
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    2 more food ones:

Chorizo pronounced as chorit-zo. Special rage points for trying to overdo a Spanish accent while pronoucing it as no Spanish person would ever do. It doesn't have a 'zz' like pizza! But everybody does it. If being strictly correct it's chor-ee-tho although I do agree that sounds a bit pretentious from an English person, otherwise chor-ee-so is ok for an English speaker.

Canape pronounced as canopy.
  • Abscominsoon
    Abscominsoon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are many streets with French names in Detroit. Everyone butchers them, and it drives me nuts.

How bout when people try to say Gratiot!!!