Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Oooh, this isn't geographical at all but

Asterick or asterix are both wrong, the correct one is as-te-risk, like risk.

Et cetera is just like it's spelled with a T, not ex setera or eck setera.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Et cetera is just like it's spelled with a T, not ex setera or eck setera.

See this isn't helped by the people who can't spell the abbreviation 'ect'!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    2 more food ones:

Chorizo pronounced as chorit-zo. Special rage points for trying to overdo a Spanish accent while pronoucing it as no Spanish person would ever do. It doesn't have a 'zz' like pizza! But everybody does it. If being strictly correct it's chor-ee-tho although I do agree that sounds a bit pretentious from an English person, otherwise chor-ee-so is ok for an English speaker.

Canape pronounced as canopy.

being half spanish half central american, the only correct ways to pronounce chorizo are with a "th" sound, or with an "s" sound.
    choritho
    choriso
    I asked earlier about the "cho", maybe you can help? Is it like "CHOp" or "COst"?

I think Italians would pronounce "cho" like "CHOp", which is close enough a language, but I don't speak Spanish.

Yes, as in CHop, sorry, I didn't think to specify that one.
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Caramel has two a's and not one!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    2 more food ones:

Chorizo pronounced as chorit-zo. Special rage points for trying to overdo a Spanish accent while pronoucing it as no Spanish person would ever do. It doesn't have a 'zz' like pizza! But everybody does it. If being strictly correct it's chor-ee-tho although I do agree that sounds a bit pretentious from an English person, otherwise chor-ee-so is ok for an English speaker.

Canape pronounced as canopy.

being half spanish half central american, the only correct ways to pronounce chorizo are with a "th" sound, or with an "s" sound.
    choritho
    choriso
    I asked earlier about the "cho", maybe you can help? Is it like "CHOp" or "COst"?

I think Italians would pronounce "cho" like "CHOp", which is close enough a language, but I don't speak Spanish.

Yes, as in CHop, sorry, I didn't think to specify that one.
    Thanks :flowerforyou: I love learning more about languages.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*
    And apparently we also are barbaric and should be embarrassed over the way we use our eating utensils. I discovered that a couple days ago.

That's true and just a little weird to us civilised Europeans :-p

The 1st time I saw Americans trying to use cutlery (even in a good restaurant) my flabber was gasted.
    But there's nothing wrong with how we use our utensils. We use them differently, but how is that WRONG? The food gets from the plate to my mouth without dribbling down my chin or anything. It's beyond anger-making to be criticized over such trivial things. We don't care how YOU use your fork and knife. Why are you all so concerned with how we use ours? It's as though we're not allowed to have our own culture and customs. It bugs me.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Apparently in the mid-west they have problems with French pronunciations of French words. Particularly in the names of their cities and towns.

I'm looking at you Versailles, Indiana (Ver-sales)

AHAHAH YESSSSSS. I drive by that exit at least once a month and I giggle everytime because people don't even know what place you're talking about if you pronounce the proper way!!!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*
    And apparently we also are barbaric and should be embarrassed over the way we use our eating utensils. I discovered that a couple days ago.

The 1st time I saw Americans trying to use cutlery (even in a good restaurant) my flabber was gasted.
    But there's nothing wrong with how we use our utensils. We use them differently, but how is that WRONG? The food gets from the plate to my mouth without dribbling down my chin or anything. It's beyond anger-making to be criticized over such trivial things. We don't care how YOU use your fork and knife. Why are you all so concerned with how we use ours? It's as though we're not allowed to have our own culture and customs. It bugs me.

Calm the F*** down no one said it was wrong :ohwell:
  • rml_16
    Options

Calm the F*** down no one said it was wrong :ohwell:
    Oh, you didn't see the conversation I was part of on FB about it. The people in question most definitely said it was wrong and were actually angry about it and said Americans lack the basic life skill of eating properly. They weren't joking.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Not locals saying it wrong, more tourists:

Grosvenor.

Correct:
    Grove-nor
    Grove-na (if you're English)

incorrect (and heard by me all the time):
    Gross-vern-er
    Groos-vern-ner
    Grosa-vener
    Gro-Gros? Grows-ner? (Close, but no cigar).

There's a metro stop here with the name in it, hence all of the out of towners struggling. I find it's hardest for people from the South and Midwest, perhaps because it's a very English word/name and New England has many similar silent consonants.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    For the most part, regional differences in pronunciations don't bother me. But there's one that gets under my skin. I'm from Houston, Texas, and moved to Atlanta about six years ago. I just about fell out when I heard Houston County, GA, pronounced as 'HOW-stun.' Wrong, wrong, wrong.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

I'm an American from Podunk, and the way some stab steaks makes me cringe...
  • rml_16
    Options
    For the most part, regional differences in pronunciations don't bother me. But there's one that gets under my skin. I'm from Houston, Texas, and moved to Atlanta about six years ago. I just about fell out when I heard Houston County, GA, pronounced as 'HOW-stun.' Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Clearly, Georgians can't pronounce ANYTHING correctly!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    another of my favorite things about he English language:

Tensas
    Arkansas
    Kansas

And then in the same Indian region as Arkansas and Tensas there's Ouachita, which is said on the end just like Tensas and Arkansas.

One of these is not pronounced like the others...
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    In Oklahoma there is a town named Honobia which they pronounce: Ho-nubby. And Miami, OK is pronounced My-am-uh.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Ask a guy in Massachusetts to say "Worchester" or "Peabody" - Classic!

People in NC pronounce Haiti as "Hay (pause) Teee"!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Ponce de Leon Ave. pronounced in Atlanta: Paansss day Leeeeoyon

Haha, yes! Everyone back home just says it wrong and accepts that pronunciation.

If all of us down here say it that way then we must be right and y'all must be wrong.

Go Dawgs!

You mean "up there." Yankees . . .
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It was phonetic . They spell it aluminium but the British pronounce the word " AL -U -Men- E -Um "
    Sorry married to a Brit .
    I don't know who you're referring to with your "they", but I take it you're American? If you go back and read, my "they" are the Americans.

Everywhere on the planet (with a few exceptions), the element is spelled alumiNIum. It is the original spelling and what I said earlier was that I don't quite see how the letter i was dropped in the U.S.
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but a quick google search will answer that question. I think there's even a Wikipedia page explaining the word's evolution in the US.

Technically, the correct pronunciation IS aluminium (the way the Brits say it). And I say this as an American who says aluminum. :-) And Google Chrome accepts both spellings as accurate.
    I just want to add that both spellings are indeed correct. It's just an interesting etymology with a letter that was dropped; to me it makes no sense, but there obviously is a logical explanation for how it happened. Thanks for the tip to check out the history article of it!

Our colonial cousins LOVE dropping letters for words :-p "U" mostly .. Colour, flavour, humour

We do it to irritate our former colonial overlords. The same reason we drive on the right side of the road and invaded Afghanistan.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The town of Des Plaines is pronounced da-SPLAINS. Ears bleed every time. Also when anyone pronounces the S at the end of Illinois.