Ignorant local pronounciations that stick...

Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    It's known as "regional dialects". If this is your biggest problem today, thank the Almighty for your good fortune! Might not be a bad idea to pull the log out of your butt as well....................
    \

The Butthurt is strong with this one
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*

Dead right :-p

Dank uns können Sie nicht lesen
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    well to that I say the word is aluminium not "al -U -Min -e-um"
    They spell it alumiNUM, too. I don't get how that one started, because originally it is alumiNIUM and just about every other country includes the i in the name.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    2 more food ones:

Chorizo pronounced as chorit-zo. Special rage points for trying to overdo a Spanish accent while pronoucing it as no Spanish person would ever do. It doesn't have a 'zz' like pizza! But everybody does it. If being strictly correct it's chor-ee-tho although I do agree that sounds a bit pretentious from an English person, otherwise chor-ee-so is ok for an English speaker.

Canape pronounced as canopy.
    I don't speak Spanish so this one has puzzled me a bit. Is it cho like chop or cost?
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    People around here (even newscasters) say Nor-FORK, instead of Norfolk for the town in Nebraska, many people also say Dez-Moinez, and it is the state capitol!
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It was phonetic . They spell it aluminium but the British pronounce the word " AL -U -Men- E -Um "
    Sorry married to a Brit .
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    It was phonetic . They spell it aluminium but the British pronounce the word " AL -U -Men- E -Um "
    I don't know who you're referring to with your "they", but I take it you're American? If you go back and read, my "they" are the Americans.

Everywhere on the planet (with a few exceptions), the element is spelled alumiNIum. It is the original spelling and what I said earlier was that I don't quite see how the letter i was dropped in the U.S.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Lol I'm now having problem just saying the word aluminium in either the Brit or US way!.

Norfolk, uk, pronounced.... nor-fuk. Who knows if that's right!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know who you're referring to with your "they", but I take it you're American? If you go back and read, my "they" are the Americans.

Everywhere on the planet (with a few exceptions), the element is spelled alumiNIum. It is the original spelling and what I said earlier was that I don't quite see how the letter i was dropped in the U.S.
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but a quick google search will answer that question. I think there's even a Wikipedia page explaining the word's evolution in the US.

Technically, the correct pronunciation IS aluminium (the way the Brits say it). And I say this as an American who says aluminum. :-) And Google Chrome accepts both spellings as accurate.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

I can't remember off the top of my head, but a quick google search will answer that question. I think there's even a Wikipedia page explaining the word's evolution in the US.

Technically, the correct pronunciation IS aluminium (the way the Brits say it). And I say this as an American who says aluminum. :-) And Google Chrome accepts both spellings as accurate.
    I just want to add that both spellings are indeed correct. It's just an interesting etymology with a letter that was dropped; to me it makes no sense, but there obviously is a logical explanation for how it happened. Thanks for the tip to check out the history article of it!
  • rml_16
    Options
    well I'm from England and as far as I am concerned ALL Americans pronounce things wrong! *giggle*
    And apparently we also are barbaric and should be embarrassed over the way we use our eating utensils. I discovered that a couple days ago.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yep American - and it is pronounced aluminium . No men .
    And the word is filet . From the French (remember them ) Not fillit
    and it is not a buffit it is a buffet
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    2 more food ones:

Chorizo pronounced as chorit-zo. Special rage points for trying to overdo a Spanish accent while pronoucing it as no Spanish person would ever do. It doesn't have a 'zz' like pizza! But everybody does it. If being strictly correct it's chor-ee-tho although I do agree that sounds a bit pretentious from an English person, otherwise chor-ee-so is ok for an English speaker.

being half spanish half central american, the only correct ways to pronounce chorizo are with a "th" sound, or with an "s" sound.
    choritho
    choriso
  • rml_16
    Options
    I am irritated when people say FO-ward for FORward, as well as when they pronounce February as Feb-u-ary!

Just sayin':

Feb·ru·ar·y [feb-roo-er-ee, feb-yoo‐] Show IPA
    noun, plural Feb·ru·ar·ies.
    the second month of the year, ordinarily containing 28 days, but containing 29 days in leap years. Abbreviation: Feb.
    Origin:
    before 1000; Middle English; Old English Februarius < Latin Februārius (mēnsis) expiatory (month), derivative of februa (plural) expiatory offerings; see -ary

Pronunciation note
    Many people try to pronounce February with both [r] Show IPA sounds, as shown above. The common pronunciation [feb-yoo-er-ee] with the first [r] replaced by [y] is the result of dissimilation, the tendency of like sounds to become unlike when they follow each other closely. An additional influence is analogy with January.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I just want to add that both spellings are indeed correct. It's just an interesting etymology with a letter that was dropped; to me it makes no sense, but there obviously is a logical explanation for how it happened. Thanks for the tip to check out the history article of it!

Our colonial cousins LOVE dropping letters for words :-p "U" mostly .. Colour, flavour, humour
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    And apparently we also are barbaric and should be embarrassed over the way we use our eating utensils. I discovered that a couple days ago.

That's true and just a little weird to us civilised Europeans :-p

The 1st time I saw Americans trying to use cutlery (even in a good restaurant) my flabber was gasted.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Yep American - and it is pronounced aluminium . No men .
    I think I see where we talked past each other earlier now.

I've only ever heard it pronounced
    a-LU-mi-num (Americans)
    and
    a-lu-MI-nium (others)

but never a-lu-MENium. Where do they say it like that?
  • jferg70
    jferg70 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law says "supposebly" instead of supposedly....drives me absolutely batty!
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Ponce de Leon Ave. pronounced in Atlanta: Paansss day Leeeeoyon

Haha, yes! Everyone back home just says it wrong and accepts that pronunciation.

If all of us down here say it that way then we must be right and y'all must be wrong.

Go Dawgs!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    2 more food ones:

being half spanish half central american, the only correct ways to pronounce chorizo are with a "th" sound, or with an "s" sound.
    choritho
    choriso
    I asked earlier about the "cho", maybe you can help? Is it like "CHOp" or "COst"?

I think Italians would pronounce "cho" like "CHOp", which is close enough a language, but I don't speak Spanish.