WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mimi: You aren’t alone in your night owl ways. These days I’m quite often both the night owl and the early bird. I rest better some days than others.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

ArleneMatches from BC: Welcome to a great group.:flowerforyou:

Geri in England: I’m glad to hear that your DH is improving after his heart attack. :flowerforyou:

Helen from NE Coastal England: Welcome! It looks like you’ve been making good progress on your weight goals.:flowerforyou:

Heather: My DSIL visited yesterday and looks wonderful. She decided to lose a few pounds when she saw what I was doing, although she chose a different program than MFP. She’s no longer counting calories and trusts herself to maintain. I wish her luck with that and am somewhat skeptical because I know I couldn’t do it without counting the calories in and out every day.:flowerforyou:

Tere: If you’re doing water aerobics who will be able to see whether you’re doing the moves correctly? No one except the instructor if she is watching. :wink: When I started yoga a couple of years ago my moves were all approximations and not very good. Luckily I have a supportive and gentle instructor. Over time I got more fit and learned the moves better. You will too, if you keep it up.:flowerforyou:

MNMargaret: I agree with both you and Heather about the skinny-mini issue. Too thin is just as unhealthy as too thick. I’m in no danger either way at the moment, and thrilled about it. I still have 1.2 pounds to lose to be back at goal. I’m inclined to backslide if I’m not diligent, as I mentioned before, and have to constantly remind myself. This group makes the diligence a lot more fun than I expected.:bigsmile: :love: :bigsmile:

I want to make a statement about this group and its importance to me, so I’ll end with the following quotation:

“One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.”
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC,

Here's a really informative, helpful thread I found about BMR/TDEE. I just followed the directions given and got what I hope will be beneficial information!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

BTW, where in NC are you? I'm in Jamestown.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out!! I am in Burlington. Michele is in Newton and DeeDee is in Winston Salem.

BTW, your eyes are beautiful!! :smile: I love your profile pic.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Lovely Ladies,

Wow! I missed one day and am way behind now. Yesterday I had lunch with a good friend who is celebrating her 80th birthday. She is a very young 80. I worked with her for about 30 years, she just retired this summer! She's an example that young at heart keeps you young! Yesterday I did lower body strength training and treadmill. I always start with some yoga. Today was treadmill for 40 minutes.

Thank you again for the compliments on my tummy shots. Some of this is genetics, I have an Aunt on my Dads side that had a 19 inch waist when she got married, I've never been that small! But I thank Daddy for his genes, he looked fabulous into his late 70's before his health really declined. I have lost about 3 inches in my waist since January. My problem area is upper thighs, still trying to make friends with them!

On the subject of maintenance, I've set my calories at 1300/day. I do estimate a lot on my diary as well. I eat about half of my exercise calories. This has worked for me as long as I make sure to drink a lot of water and consume a lot of fiber (veggies, flax seeds). The other key has been strength training. We have to keep our muscles ladies, they burn calories.

DeeDee, congratulations on finally getting your house back. You will enjoy it so much!

Anne, thank you for the movie reviews! Your garden pics are beautiful! You are a wonderful artist.

Geri, I'm glad your DH is getting better.

Jane, I hope you are nearing the end of the house hunting!

Welcome all new ladies. Hugs to all and wishes for a great weekend for you.

Cindy in OK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Michele - I looked at your photos - gorgeous pool and poolside! And your arms are gorgeous!:flowerforyou: I had one zucchini tot to test it.:laugh:

Alison - Great photo of you and hunky man. You are looking good!

The chorizo stew has come in at 500 calories, so it's broccoli only with it.:laugh:

DH'S team won, so I am expecting him home happy! :bigsmile: I have saved enough calories for ONE celebratory drink. And I will measure it.:wink: Good start to the season. :happy: He is very sad that his nephew, who left his wife and daughter, won't be able to join him because of babysitting commitments. :ohwell: He used to love meeting him for a drink and a meal in the pub beforehand.

Geri - Great to hear from you!:flowerforyou: Glad to hear things are improving for your DH. I love the bus ride story!

Welcome new person from near Newcastle - one place I haven't visited yet. I do intend to though. I love the North East as my brother lived near Durham for quite a while when he was first married and we revisited the area a few years ago for a summer holiday. But never been to Newcastle itself.

Just done a big delivery order for Monday from our "posh" supermarket Waitrose. I love their speciality breads. Among the other things I've ordered some smoked salmon and hot smoked salmon and Philly cheese to make my salmon roll starter. You can freeze it, so it's yet another thing for my magic freezer. I intend it to be eaten with the zucchini tots as a starter for the bbq. People are arriving at different times and we sill be eating later than I'm used to so we need something to keep us going!:laugh: I do love supermarket deliveries. You don't seem to do it much in the States. It is really common over here.:happy:

Bye for now. I am going to chase off hunger pangs with a cup of tea.

Hesther in Hampshire UK and expecting rain and wind tomorrow.
  • HSDramamom
    HSDramamom Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I'm finding that I don't care for Jillian Michael's DVD's. I probably won't get any more of hers. I really don't find someone yelling in my ear "higher, faster," etc. to be motivating. Lately, it seems that her DVD's show the person who's playing the music's equipment. I don't care to see that -- I want to see the exercises. Also, the people she has doing the exercises are all so young. I'm not 20 or 30 anymore. So I have to wonder if the things she's doing is OK for an "older" person. Well, everyone to their own. I tend to like Gilad, Jari Love, and a few others

Michele in NC

Michele,

My DVDs with Jillian Michaels have "music without instructor" setting. I don't know if the DVDs you own offer that option. I use that most of the time, unless I feel like I need to be reminded of any details that I may have forgotten with regards to form. I KNOW what you mean about all the fit people in some of her videos, but the Biggest Loser ones (I have Power Sculpt) feature Biggest Loser contestants. Seeing them work motivates me, whereas the super fit helpers tend to discourage me some.

I've not heard of the instructors you've mentioned. I'll check them out. Have you ever used any of Ellen Barrett's workouts? She has such a pleasant, yet encouraging demeanor and most of her DVDs feature women of various sizes and ages. I think she's my favorite instructor. I've been using her Yogini DVD lately and really like it.

Carol in NC told me that you live in Newton. I'm in Jamestown (sandwiched between Greensboro and High Point). It's fun to see some fellow North Carolinians on here! :)

Christina
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! It is a rainy day here but I am actually quite enjoying it. I have the windows open in several rooms and the blinds are open all through the house. I would enjoy it more if it weren't dreary, but this is such a welcome respite from the heat!

Thanks for all of your replies and support. I'm still VERY worried about my friend and I appreciate your prayers and good vibes. I am going to try a month of strict logging and purposeful exercise (I mostly walk.) and see if the scales budge. During that time I also plan to add in purposeful core and strength training again. That part will depend on whether my house sells during that time. I don't imagine having time to do an exercise regime and pack, too.

Heather - To answer your questions: My BMI is 29.2, my BMR is 1556, and Body Fat 28.74%. These are using weight and measurements because I don't have access to an "official" body fat calculator. MFP has me set to eat 1400 calories per day. That is why I'm curious if I'm eating enough on a regular basis. Calculating my BMR on another site, my BMR comes up at 1521 (pretty close to the same) and my TDEE set at 2092 (I put in exercise at 3 times per week, but I average at LEAST 30-60 minutes of focused walking at approx. 4 mph every day and most days it's a lot more.) I've been trying to get in more walking (I can do a lot of that at work because I have very little time to do anything at home most days) and attempting to mix up my foods a bit more.

Mixing up the foods a bit more may be part of the problem. I've been stuck in a rut for the past few months because I've been too busy with the house to prepare foods ahead of time very much. Today, I've done things differently and actually have a crockpot full of baked ziti cooking right now which will give me a few dinners this week plus some for the freezer. I've been trying to focus more on fruits and veggies and haven't been getting as much protein. It's a tough balance. :grumble:

On to happier things!! I looked at six townhomes/condos yesterday. Three were total duds and a fourth was an "If I have to" sort of place. The other two were really great. One has a beautiful :love: :love: kitchen and a garage in its favor, but it has "forest" green (a dark green with blue undertones) carpet and matching green tile throughout the house. It would drive me mad!!! The patio area was okay but it looks over a golf course which I'm not too crazy about. The other one that I liked, has no garage and the bedrooms are fairly small. However, it has a good kitchen, a good-sized living room, a formal(ish) dining area (which I really like), and an amazing patio/outdoor area, plus a front porch!! It does not have a garage and the carpet in the living room needs to be replaced (I can put a rug over the stain), and small bedrooms. Overall, it would be my first choice, I think. I do hope it is still on the market when I'm ready to buy. The excursion did what I wanted it to do; I could eliminate some places because I truly didn't like them (even the realtor admitted they were not good) and I know to ignore those areas in future searches.

I need to put the computer away and do that whole dusting, vacuuming, and mopping thing plus try to pack a little. Once my lunch settles, I think I will do an exercise DVD to try out one of my new ones.

Have a great day!

Carol in NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat!!
    Going to spend the day with my 3 sons and 2 DIL and 2 grand daughters.
    Probably won`t be on much today.
    Heard from the apt,hoping to get the townhouse.
    Have a good one.
    HUGS
    jane
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    update,no pets for the townhouse.
    So gonna see about the apt.
    hugs
    jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hello my wonderful friends. I was bitten by the GI bug yesterday and still feel awful today. Cancelled our night out with friends. I read all the posts, but not up to responding. have a good Saturday and keep on your plan! Take care Meg from drizzly Omaha
  • HSDramamom
    HSDramamom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this will bring a smile to your day and a little inspiration as well. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAnAVLWyf80

Christina
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Carol - sounds like you have a great plan!:flowerforyou: I would think, if you faithfully log every strawberry etc then you could happily eat 1500-1600 cals a day..:drinker: Walking, even fast, doesn't burn up much so that includes 100 - 200 cals for your daily exercise, depending on the time you spend. Strength training doesn't take long, a lot can be done in 20 mins, and shows great results, both for vanity and fitness.:bigsmile: Mfp gives you 64 cals for that!:ohwell:
    Well done for your resolve!:flowerforyou: Good luck!:flowerforyou:

One lady I am in touch with logs every single tiny thing that passes her mouth. I am a bit more relaxed than that. I ignore cucumber, lettuce, broccoli etc. But I admire her resolve and she successfully maintains.:wink:

Come on home DH! I m starving! :laugh:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I am just sitting down now... worked until noon,came home and changed, went to see DFIL and then to the trail to walk.. did about 3 1/2 miles walking before my heel started to hurt.. was driving DH electric car,so where I parked the car, I was able to plug it in and charge it for a bit while I walked..
    then got in the car and took myself up to Whole Foods.. I only go when the DH isnt home so that I can poke around at my leisure,had my lunch/dinner up there, even though I am trying to eat clean I had a slice of white pizza and a chai latte unsweetened..then went around the store looking.. the desserts and cookies oh my:noway: did buy myself some vanilla sleepytime tea, trying to stay asleep at night with menopause is something....
    I also broke down and bought some Lara bars,no sugar ,but are sweetened with dates, so it is all natural.. will have those when I am craving something...
    also bought no sugar added food based multi vitamins...and raw chocolate protein powder packet to try..also some unsweetened coconut water..then left there and went to Shoprite.. they have these little Quinoa,rice and corn squares that are really yummy for a snack and I use that with 4 of them and a laughing cow vegetable cream cheese wedge for a snack for under 100 calories..now here comes the bad part... they had small gelato's on sale and I bought 3...now I will have a spoonful once in awhile ,but mostly for the DH.. I did buy myself Yasso peanut butter cup greek frozen yogurt bars that are 130 calories a piece, and I will have them on occasion.
    I am trying to be faithful with alot of the non processed,no white anything..and I am doing pretty well.But like alot of you said..you do what you need to do.but you dont have to be a drill sergeant.. so I am exercising daily eating right and and am hopeful that the lbs will come off eventually.. it took years to put on,we dont lose it over night:wink:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi,all,

Have not fallen off the edge of the world. We are in Pa. After a meander up I-81 with several detours to see things of interest. Computer availability is spotty and going to be more so as we start actually camping for a week tomorrow. Have seen relatives, staying with a cousin right now and having dinner with a long time friend tonight. Have scanned quickly, probably missed a bunch.

Love and best to all,
    Yanniejannie
    Near Pottsville, Pa.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    K in NEGA,

The line at the top of my post about satisfaction came from Gloria in Metro Detroit--so thanks to Gloria for encouraging me!

Let's stay this course! It will definitely be for the better!

Thanks, Gloria! I did need to hear it.

And to Christina, because I would have missed it otherwise.

Only one reason why I love this thread.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    K in NEGA,

The line at the top of my post about satisfaction came from Gloria in Metro Detroit--so thanks to Gloria for encouraging me!

Let's stay this course! It will definitely be for the better!

My pleasure! All of our "courses" are a little different for different reasons but we're all reaching for the same "finish line" :smile: :heart:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It's a perfect summer day here in the Motor City. Low 80's, low humidity, clear skies.

Went back to the trail I took Aaron to the other day and rode this morning, after I stopped at the farmer's market in that town. Floated in the pool for a bit and did a little school shopping with my boy.

Enjoyed lots of locally grown produce today for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Need to go log.

Happy weekend to all!

xo- Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here is today's joker the day:

:happy:

The Teacher had asked the class to write an essay about an unusual event that happened during the past week.

Little Johnny got up to read his. It began, "My daddy fell in well last week."

"Good Lord!" the teacher exclaimed. "Is he OK?"

"He must be," said Little Johnny. "He stopped calling for help yesterday."

:laugh:
  • rentrikin
    rentrikin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump 6629963.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did about 50 minutes of Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones DVD today. Then went to the farmer's market. The guy with the real good corn wasn't there, but the guy with the real real sweet cantaloupes was there. I bought 7. If they're not cut up, does anyone know how they should be stored? On the counter or in a dark place? Unfortunately, he had the cantaloupes last week and I couldn't get there because of the social and he won't have them next week -- at least he said he won't. But he did tell me that he's expecting to have some red okra. He just wants to pick it when it isn't real wet out. I was thinking that I haven't had any red okra yet this year. Another guy said that he'd have some purple potatoes next week. We shall see. He said he didn't bring them this week because they weren't washed. Like I would care! I can wash them just as well as he can, so that's what leads me to wonder if he truly has them.

Tomorrow's plan is to do one of Leslic Sansones' walking DVD's

Anne - it's a good thing you called animal control. That woman! I try as much as possible to avoid artifiial sweeteners. I have this "thing" against putting something in my body that was made in a lab. Actually, I prefer not to even use sugar if I can avoid it. I drink my tea without sugar in it, just lemon. thanks for the sorbet recipe. "8 persone" -- 8 servings? I don't have an ice cream maker, can you make this in an ice cube tray?

Made some chocolate cookies for Jess. She's going to a wedding at the end of the month, and me being me, can't let her go to Maine empty handed! So I have some squash cookies and these chocolate ones that she'll eat. I don't think she'll eat the squash ones, but Kris' parents probably will. Vince wants some, but I think I'll probably give them to Jess. There's a lot else he can have. Plus, I want to try that fudge recipe.

Arlene - pour yourself a nice tall glass of decaf unsweetened ice tea and hop right on

We went out on the upper patio last night, Vince and Ken were listening to music. Anyway, later in the evening we realized that these catepillars that we find in the pool sometimes come out at night. Anyone know what they are?

Geri - "we all have weeks when we don't do as well" Tell me about it! I'm trying so so hard to reel myself in from the social. I'm trying, but it isn't easy. I know that if I get back into the tofu/cocoa at night, that'll help. Vince is fine after his colonoscopy and so glad to be eating solid food again!

Helen - welcome! You do so many interesting things

Fatand Fifty - welcome!

tere - one of the good things about water aerobics is that if you're doing things incorrectly, no one can tell under the water! Just keep moving, that's the most important thing

jb - have a great time with your mom! You have such a way with words (talking about the summer pounds)

Cindy781 - I one time had a 19 inch waist. I think I was probably around 2 or 3 at the time....lol

Christina - the only problem I sometimes see in Jillian's BL tapes when she uses BL contestants is that they sometimes don't use correct form. I never thought of using the "music without instructor" setting because I like to be reminded of the form and what's coming up. I have heard of Ellen Barrett. For some reason I don't think I have any of her DVD's. Does she just do the yoga DVD's? That may be why. I have quite a few yoga DVD's. Yes, I love to see other North Carolineans on here, too

Carol in NC - that one townhome/condo sounds really great. I do so hope it is still on the market when you're ready to buy (which shouldn't be too long from now)

Meg - take care of yourself

Heather - I'm like you, if I just have a little bit of something (like last night I just had a bit of cucumber and a bit of tomato) I just ignore that. It isn't very many calories. Now if I have a cup of cucumber or a good amount of tomato, that I will count. But not the small bits.

Alison - I've only been to Whole Foods once, but I really liked it. DeeDee - isn't there one by you? I'm thinking that was the one I went to

Welcome to everyone else new that I may have missed.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Tere, when I started line dance classes almost 10 years ago shortly after I retired, I told myself that my goal for the first class was to not fall down and not knock anyone else down....when I succeeded at that, I made a commitment to attend the class regularly so I could learn the routines and do better than just not falling down....I wish the same for you in your water class..no one is looking at you, they are busy thinking about themselves.

:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: Heather, once again you explained beautifully how easy it is to add a few more calories without even noticing and how important vigilance is.

:bigsmile: Welcome to everyone who is new.....keep coming back....consistency is your friend.

:bigsmile: I've had super day....another one of those all day meetings....this one just 30 minutes away....I drove over with my friend who just came back from visiting her family in Waco so we could have time to talk....my cousin is home from the rehab place and has an aide coming in a few days a week so now she has a new set of things to complain about....I've kept up my daily phone calls because she says that she likes them and looks forward to hearing from me....she asks me what do to about things and then argues with me about how they won't work.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington

:bigsmile: 18,000 steps today

1836545mblph7p32e.gif