WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies,

Down a pound today; first I've gotten weighed since vacation and happy with it! Three and a half to go of the 10 pound regain. Still coughing...........and no appetite............which might be a good thing, after all.

Heather...........I'm among those glad to hear you have decided to bring back your writings of the past. Will be looking for that cauliflower cake recipe also.

Allison.........Congrats on your dress bargain; it sounds lovely. I'm a Panera fan too; u pick 2..........usually get the Greek salad, dsg. on side and chicken noodle soup. Sometimes indulge and have their big kids toasted cheese...........yum! I'm not happy that they've stopped making the decaf coffee after 2pm here..............makes no sense to me.

Katla.............I do agree............waiting in the recovery room alone is hard on the nerves............no desire to do a repeat on that either. Sfe trip to you! I also took the AARP safe driving course for an insurance fee break...........all I remember is that it was sooooooooooooooo boring........and took WAY too long.

Margaret...............A double victory for you with DS and DSIL both doing better.

Meg........Have messaged you those details. Does your free education benefit for children extend to grad/vet school? Want to adopt another????????? LOL.

Kitty............A very happy birthday to you and good wishes for a safe trip and a great time in San Diego.

Michele...........Ahhhhhh....maybe that stray kitty has found a home elsewhere............I would be a crazy cat lady if DH wasn't allergic.

Diane...........I remember candlewicking!!!! Somewhere, I have a pillow...........haven't seen it for years............

Cynthia................Believe it or not there is a site called "find a grave".............your graves might already be photographed in their records and online.

Cindy............I can't wait to see your grandmother drawing!

Tere.........Hopefully the rooster will just disappear and your problem will be solved. If it continues, I would not let anyone's lack of "paperwork" allow my dog to be possibly injured or my home peace to be soooooooo upset. Animal control does work with people to some extent but they do enforce the law.

Off to find something to eat. Stay strong, all and have great days!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic............sunny, humid, hot
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options

Gloria, I regularly toy with the idea of joining a zumba class, but so far have not had the nerve.

Sylvia

Oh it's SUCH fun. Like any class, it's all about the best instructor "fit". I have a favorite and all ages, shapes, sizes, levels of rhythm, etc. feel welcome and have fun. I've been to other classes that I didn't really enjoy. Most places offer the first class free so it can't hurt to go try a few out.

Our class was great today. Hard work, sweaty but lots of fun. Hardly seems like an hour passes and it's over.

Saved all my cleaning for today and now I don't feel like doing it. Think I'll work hard for an hour and whatever I don't get done, I can do over the weekend.

Wishing everyone a great day!

xo- Gloria in sunny and steamy Metro Detroit
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,256 Member
    Options
    Katla - Have a wonderful trip! Hope all goes well with the birth.:flowerforyou:

DH and DSIL are sitting in the garden in the sunshine and all the prep is done.:bigsmile: I had to bully DH to do his "jobs". He likes to leave prep until the last minute, but I think he was quite glad that I insisted he squeezed the limes as it took quite a while and creates mess. He will be glad later when he can just rustle up 5 mojitos with no bother!:laugh:
    We pick up his daughter and niece from the station at 7pm. I am putting my feet up for ten minutes.
    I am definitely going to go over calories tonight, but I will restrict how much I eat. A taste of everything will suffice.

I wonder whether we will end up with a karaoke session like we did at Christmas.:bigsmile: :drinker:

Love to all. Going to put on my glad rags now.:bigsmile:

Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies;
    Things are about the same health wise..I have tried for 2 days to get a hold of the Dr. who was going to get another GI to see if he could help me....I have left 2 messages....I will not try again..when I see my family Dr next week she will get me a GI so I can start living normal again...eating regular foods again...my strength is getting weaker and I haven't lost any extra lbs but my clothes fit looser now...a nice plus to this aggravation....:cry:

Jan---Happy to hear you have lost some lbs...soon be at your goal...good job!!! Take Care!!!

Sylvia---- That was a great idea sending the letter to your son...more fuel for his fire Take Care!!

Carol----It is great that you are getting out and enjoying your life again...I know when my DD's ex walked out on her and the boys..she was past herself in worry about how she was going to bring her family up on her own....but in time she got out and is now doing 2 jobs...which I wish she did not have to do..her health is an issue...Her dad and me moved close by and have been doing all we can for her...helping get the children off to school..having a car right there for when she needed it and all the support we could..Take Care!!

Katla---I am also having issues with my hair cutter..I have asked her twice to not cut my hair too short...when I go this time I am going to nicely ask again for her not to scalp me...hopefully we can fix this issue..or I find another hair cutter..

There is so much on my mind that I do not have the fixes for right now..but I am praying it will be there when I need it :cry:

I hope you all have a sunshiny weekend!!
    Liz fr Halifax NS
    3052186q0dj8643hl.gif
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,878 Member
    Options
    No ambition today. Tired.

Rita
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Momsamodel - Kim - I love stretching! It feels so good to stretch and get my muscles relaxed. Have you ever done any yoga? I'm wondering if that works the same way as stretching?

I've been doing Leslie Sansone's Walking DVDs this month. Some of the videos on Fit2b.

Does anyone know of a yoga DVD or type of yoga that is good for 50+ ladies who are starting at the very beginning? ...and not very flexible. ;) I watched The Great British Sewing Bee last year and was so impressed with the 70yo winner who does yoga daily.

I suggest Hatha Yoga. I've been doing it for over 20 years. My first video was Rodney Yee's AM yoga. It is still my favorite. You can view it on YouTube. He is still my favorite teacher.

Cindy in OK
  • Akinom523
    Options
    Hi everyone, Happy Friday!
    So relieved it's Friday and I have a busy weekend ahead. :glasses:

Diane, I am in TX too, North of Houston. Thanks for the welcome! I usually do avoid soy, I fit more the profile of estrogen dominant. :sick:

Cynthia - I hope you find someone in Abilene, I am in Houston :smile:

Sylvia - thank you, that information helps me a lot!! :flowerforyou:

Cindy - where can I find a rooster with big spurs. I plan on training it to chase me to the gym daily! :blushing:

Rita - hope you feel better soon! :happy:

I say it publicly, I intend to return to the gym today after a couple of weeks off (after hurting my shoulder and my hip with too much too fast). I will be more careful this time!

Have a great rest of the day all!
  • scared1
    scared1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am "down and really tired", I resort to eating junk and then feel more down and tired. Just try to at least take a short walk and keep thinking you can do this.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's very short joke of the day:

:happy:

Ah! Yes, love is blind, and marriage is an eye opener!

:laugh:

OK, this is strange. I posted today about finding Magnalite cookware at a yard sale and now my browser is plastered for ads for Magnalite cookware. Who is listening to this stuff?

I think big brother's other name is Google.

Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    LOL..........my ads are for Hebrew National Hot Dogs, toliet paper, the Washington Redskins, a nutrition class, Modcloth, and Zulily.............don't see the connection to the rest, but I did mention liking Jewish food yesterday..............
  • kittytoo
    kittytoo Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks, ladies for all the birthday wishes. My DH and I got to looking at the calendar last night and realized that next weekend is Labor Day. (How did that happen? It's still August!) Anyhow, I'd much rather have four days in "Sand Diego" than just one, so we postponed my birthday trip to next weekend. Had to juggle the schedule a bit, but it's worth it. Thank you Joyce & Carol for reminding me there's a browser on my iPhone and to access MFP through it. :blushing:

Went for a walk this morning. Let the dog run loose on the golf course. I've been worried to do that because I was afraid he would run off (he is an adoption dog), but he would run off a little ways, then either run back or look to see if we were following him. So cute! Also spend almost an hour weeding and pruning my pepper tree that almost blew over. When I went to enter it in MFP, there was no option for yard work!??? I added one, because I figured it's as much exercise as an hour of leisurely walking. At least!

Tere -

I think you need to find a way to get that rooster in a soup pot. Then you won't have to turn in your neighbors - or listen to him any more. JK. Kinda.

Heather in UK -

I found the recipe. It's in UK measurements. :sad: You are making me do math..... :grumble:

Sylvia -

You must have been up at Mission Bay, near Sea World. Our boat does not have a tiller. It's a big boat and we have a wheel. Just like driving a car. Only I learned to sail with a tiller and sometimes turn the wrong way. There's been a couple of times I worried about ending up on the rocks, LOL.

SheFitWalks -

Try Yoga for Inflexible People - you can search it on Amazon and it will bring up a bunch of options. The nice thing is, that the "low" options are already built in. It's a good place to start. I do Hatha Yoga, but if you don't know the low options or the video does not tell you them, you can get really confused trying to do something you're not ready for.

Time for another cup of coffee. :drinker: I have some work to do today, too ....

Kitty in AZ
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    Kitty love the soup idea for the tough old bird. :laugh:
  • kittytoo
    kittytoo Posts: 27
    Options
    YannieJannie - not sure HN hot dogs are Jewish food .... although they are kosher, LOL.

I am actually writing again because I forgot to welcome Princessat50.

Also, Cynthia -

What kind of dog do you have? My friend has one of those long dogs aka "weiner dog" (For sure I'm gonna get HN ads now, too!), and her dogs always had back problems. My Shih Tzu has had them, also. I thing any long dog can have back problems. (I am assuming it is not age or other injury.) Sending good vibes your way. We love our pets like children!

Kitty
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!:drinker:
    welcome princess at 50.:flowerforyou:
    Very humid,heat index 90-100.Gonna stay in.Seems we are getting our summer weather now,when the kids are in school.
    Poor Violet is home sick,the joys of being in school and the germs.:cry:
    Catching up on my card club,making cards for kids with life threating illnesses.
    Have a good one.
    HUGS:heart:
    jane
  • christinekluczewski
    Options
    Hi, I'm Chris, and I'm a 64 year old woman who has about 20 pounds to lose. So far on My Fitness Pal I have gained one!

my problem is sticking with something consistently enough to see real results.

I live in CT with my retired husband and I still work 4 days a week. Both of our grown sons live at home right now. It makes things a little sstressful. My 86 years young mother lives with us, too, but she has an inlaw apartment and is able to be independent.

today is my day off and we are going to a local agricultural fair. I haven't gone in at least 20 years, but wanted to do something different! It's humid and cloudy but rain is not expected. The entertainment tonight is Danielle ? I forgot her last name but she won The Voice a few years ago. Country music is not my favorite but I remember she had a lovely voice.

hope to get to know you all better in the coming weeks. Chris
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    the last few days I have been feeling a bit edgy, I dont know how to explain it..maybe anxiety? about what I dont know, just feel constantly jittery...
    I did get a phone call from my dad's PCP, i really do like him, told him about my dad's latest issue driving, and he agree's ..with the dizziness, he is deaf and only wears one hearing aid,and having these little accidents..
    well he said he will have them call him in for an appt to talk it over the driving situation, he will have to tell him that there are concerns over his driving,so Sean and I will be outed eventually..but the Dr does agree that it is unsafe for him..so we shall see what comes of that..
    I was just reading our local newspaper and there is a postion open for a FULL TIME office person at another dental office in my town.. it looks good.. but I have been where I am for the past 8 yrs, we havent gotten a raise in 3, they cut my hours by 10 a year ago..
    but then we have our plans set for florida for 3 weeks in december. my DH it is up to me, I could at least go for an interview..
    I dont know...
    I will pray about it, everything always works out as it should...
    I work tomorrow until noon, then over to see the DFIL then off for pizza tomorrow night.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chris. That's quite a household you have there! Stress can be one thing that can make you either gain or hold onto those pesky pounds. I hope all your sons do a lot around the house. That's quite a chore to cook and clean after 4 grown boys, a husband and mother.

Sylvia, great yard sale find!!!! I haven't been to a single yard sale. I guess it was my Mom that kept me going to yard sales. Are there any pottery stores in your area that you could go in, start your pottery from the bottom up and then they would fire it for you and you then paint and finish it up. Oh, I wish I knew what else I was going to write to you.

Our choir director is a stickler for timing and our trio doesn't have it right and we sing it August 31st. So we have an extra practice this Sunday evening right before church. I don't go on Sunday nights. That is usually the only time we get to see our daughter. We take her out to supper, do our individual shopping at Walmart and then hang out at our house for awhile. So I have sent a message to see whether she needs to change it to Saturday. Sunday eve after she leaves our house she meets all her friends with dogs out at our local private dog park. I also messaged my older daughter to see how her weight loss is this week so I can post our Kimmel girl weight loss update on face book. We are now over 110 pounds. The other girl is one of My husbands nieces we were able to hook up with when My dear MIL died. She has done really well after she went on a gluten free diet. But she has an only son who has oppositional defiant disorder and he has done poorly on his medicines lately and is in the hospital for medication change observation. So it has been a very stressful week for her and she may have not lost any weight.

Joyce, Indiana

Went back and read your post Sylvia. Do you have ad block on your computer? If not go to the google chrome store and download it. it's free. I still get ads on the side sometimes but not as many. I do know that big brother is watching. Even when I order something at Walmart I get emails suggesting like things.
  • yanniejannie
    Options
    Welcome Chris and any other newbies I missed.

I think the stew pot idea for that rooster is the best one yet!

Kitty........LOL! I also don't think big brother in charge of our ads knows about hot dogs not being traditional "Jewish" food (even if kosher) but I have had some really good food courtesy of some very good Jewish cooks!. I was royally spoiled by a friend who worked for a Jewish elementary school and another who worked at a Jewish nursing home, both gave me treats all the time............I could easily live on a good brisket, noodle kugel, potato latkes, almond cakes, and challah.........YUM! Nothing makes French toast better than challah!

Now I have an ad for State Farm; I got a quote the other day...........but it was over the phone although I did give them an email address.

yanniejannie
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    TGIF my friends. I did not go into work today; instead I went to walmart for the household shopping, ran errands, worked on the book some, got my depo shot, picked up the kid from school and went to the y where I swam for ½ hour. We are getting quite the rain storm; the news says it’s coming down at a rate of 5.3”/hour! Whew! I was going to do water aerobics this morning but when I got up I was stiff and sore all over plus I had a headache from shoulder tightness. So I thought walking would be a good way to loosen up instead of another workout.

Oh I didn’t tell you; yesterday on the treadmill I actually RAN! OMG I haven’t run since I was a teenager! It felt SOOOOO good!

So last night I had this crazy texting conversation with DD#1. The next door neighbors are giving her a changing table and a high chair and for 2 weeks I have been trying to get her to pick a day to come get it. Yesterday the neighbor told me she would like to get rid of the furniture soon, so I texted Tanya:
    Me: When you come over Saturday, go next door and talk to Mrs. B and tell her a specific date and time you will come get the baby furniture. And tell Dalton (the bf) he has to show up.
    T: I can’t
    Me: Why not
    T: I don’t have her phone number

So now I’m sure she thinks I’m the biggest B****on earth because my response was: You’ll be here Saturday. She lives next door. Walk over there.
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Where did I put those sharp objects the other day?

Gloria: maybe we should have a photo album party!

Michele: the ladder workout is like this: warm up, go fast 2 minute, slow down 2 minutes, go fast 4 minutes, slow down 4 minutes, go fast 6 minutes, slow for 6, repeat the 6s (I don’t do that part), the fast for 4, slow for 4, fast for 2, slow for 2, then cool down. We had a kitty wandering around our backyard today and my kitties had no idea what to think of it (from the window!)

Sylvia: cute joke! Isn’t it crazy to be happy that you soon will be simply overweight??? Actually that is a great accomplishment and you should be very proud. I get bra ads (must be telling me something) and ads for Methodist College here in Omaha which is where I work! They want me to get a nursing degree! Should I tell them I already have that, plus three others including a PhD?

Tere: here is my favorite drivers license question: you have a green light but a blind man starts to cross the intersection. What do you do? My favorite response has always been “honk and proceed!”

Diane: I use a weight watchers digital scale at work. It’s in the gym which has a hard floor so it sits evenly. We have a really old scale at home I just use for trends.

Lesley: hope you feel better soon

Cynthia : Benny Beagle sends get well wishes to your fur baby!

Princess: welcome to our group. Small changes make huge changes

Shefit: Michele here recommended I get Rodney Yee yoga videos and they are great.

Jan: yes actually the school benefits extend through grad school and cover spouses too! You might as well move it; all my kids’ friends always wanted me to adopt them for some reason. I never could figure that out.

Heather; I am ready for my mojito please!

Liz: take care; I hope you get your medical issues settled down soon

Kitty: try adding gardening

Chris welcome to our group. I love that your mom is 86 years young

Alison: re raises: we just got an email from the college president who was crowing that once again we are getting a 1% raise this year! Woo hoo. I want so badly to ask if he has noticed groceries are up by nearly 18%

HEBREW NATIONAL! HEBREW NATIONAL!

Maybe now I’ll get ads with coupons. I love those things!

Speaking of related things, did you know Walmart has a program called savingscatcher? You enter your receipt number and they find you price matches and give you the difference in an e-gift card. Now that’s a brilliant idea!

oK ladies, I better go build an ark. It’s supposed to rain hard all night long. Take care, Meg from Omaha where it is pouring.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Worked out in the gym today for the first time since I am back from vacation. Walked, did NuStep, weights and stretching. Food was good today, salmon burgers and fresh corn for dinner. I love this time of year with all the fresh fruits and veggies. Think I may go the Farmer's Market tomorrow morning.

Kittytoo - add my good wishes for your birthday. Sounds like an awesome outing.

grandmallie - Are you still on prednisone? That can cause jitters and anxiety. A friend of mine described it as feeling like she wanted to jump out of her skin. Exercise can help but if it gets too bad let your doctor know.

Katla - Are you familiar with the Portland area? I am going to a conference to be held at OHSU in October and wondering about hotels in that area, whether it is a decent part of town.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD where it is supposed to storm tonight and tomorrow.

Don't measure success or failure by material wealth, but by how you feel; our feelings determine the richness of our lives.