WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• kittytoo
    kittytoo Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi, all -

Getting ready to go to San Diego, CA for the weekend. My hubby has a 36' Hunter sailboat "Shalom" that we keep over there. It's my birthday weekend and I will probably eat too much, but I always seem to come home from sailing without gaining weight. I think it is because sailing is more calorie-consuming than it looks. I should look it up on the exercise schedule; see if anyone has entered a value for it ....

Does anyone know how to get to this thread from the mobile app, or is that a no go? I won't be back before Monday and I will miss so much. :sad:

Katie -

A bomb threat at the grocery store?!!!

Anne -

DH used to lived in Johannesburg. A lot of the ranches/farms have been redistributed to the "previously disadvantaged." (Their term, not mine.) It's how DH lost his business, because he couldn't find a "previously disadvantaged" qualified to take over his business and had to shut it down. Lots of his SA friends have moved to the States and think he is crazy to want to go back, even if it's temporary. I don't mind going over and staying a good long while, but I don't want to buy property. We may sell his sailboat here and buy one we can live on there (a 38' Hunter is like a small apartment inside.) Or maybe a motor home.

Michelle -

Belly dancing is a blast. My instructor, Mahin, teaches online classes. (Her website is "She's Got Hips".) I'm sure there are others as well. Once you know the basics, you could go with videos.

Tere -

Here in Phoenix, we get the odd rooster. (Residents are allowed 5 hens, but sometimes a rooster sneaks in.) The problem is, it never gets dark because of the lights, and the poor fellas crow all night long, thinking it's going to be sunrise soon.

Karen in Scottsdale -

Welcome! You're in my back yard. I just took a job up by El Pedregal.

Sylvia -

I like your granddaughter already. I often say that we don't have to walk past the trash in the streets on our morning walks. I take a bag along and pick it up. DH was amazed at how clean the US roadsides are compared to SA, where they still just toss stuff out the car windows or whatever.

Heather in Hampshire -

What would it take for me to get that Cauliflower Cake recipe? I have some great aubergine recipes (eggplants for those US folks who may not know). I planted a few plants in deference to my DH's love of said fruits, only to discover that they are perennial in Phoenix, AZ. I get TONS of them....

Kitty in Phoenix
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    p.s. my 2 cents for Carol is to find something outside the house to do. Knitting, etc. is fine for a while but it sounds like you need to make yourself go out. Join an exercise class once or twice a week....perhaps yoga and/or some sort of fun dance class (Zumba, belly dancing, etc.). xo
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did 30 minutes of Tony Little Total Body DVD. Don't know if I'll have time to do another 30 minutes later today. Update: true to my form, I didn't get to it. I only get to it in the a.m., that's the time that works for me. If I don't exercise early, it doesn't get done, and this just reinforces that

tomorrow the plan is to do Richard Simmon's Dancin to the Oldies DVD. I know that I'm not real crazy about his DVD's only because he really doesn't give good cues. But it's something different and something that I can do at home. But first I need to take Vince to the eye md to get the patch off, then I'll probably come home and exercise.

Anne - there's a lady at our bowling who raises chickens so I always give her my empty egg cartons. She just told me that she's not going to be bowling during the winter but that she does bowl on Wednesday evenings, so if I need to, I'll just go there and give them to her.

Karen - welcome! So glad that Joyce directed you here -- thanks Joyce

Joyce - do you ever go to Waffle House? I know Vince would love to go there, but I don't know that there's anything that I would have. If you go, what do you have? I always thoughtt Beef O'Brady's was just one restaurant by us. But then they closed and when we went to FL I saw one there, that's when I realized it was a a chain!

Patty - I'm glad that woman came back to you. I remember you talking about her.

lkellandmay - Barbie is wonderful about starting a new thread every month. So glad to have you join us. So, yes, we'll be here in September, then in October, then November, then December and so on

Patty - I'm still having trouble logging into coursera. I'm even having trouble sending them an email. Wonder what the problem could be?

Sylvia - If it were me, I'd just delete that email from your son's exwife. On second thought, I agree with yanniejannie. Keep it for documentation but don't bother responding to it. You have much better things to do with your time (like come in here)

Carol in NC - do you know that I never heard of shag until we moved to NC?

Heather - I'm sorry, but I just have to skip the parts where you talk about all that wonderful food. Boy, have you been busy! Glad you got back to your writing

Just had an apple while I was getting dressed, then did 1/2 hr of Tony Little's Total Body DVD, then took Vince for his surgery. It all went well and we came home around 9:45, had breakfast, then went to Aldi. Forgot to get cukes but baby bella mushrooms are on sale so I bought some and just now cut them up and have them in the freezer after roasting them to get most of the moisture out. After Aldi went in the pool for a bit, in to get dinner ready and roast those mushrooms.

Vince checked and the food we put out for the kitten hadn't been touched. I didn't hear it at all while I was outside so I'm just hoping that it went back to its owner. I do want to grill pork chops sometimes this weekend for us to have later in the week. The last time we were grilling, that's when the kitten came to us. We think it's because he smelled the food. So grilling again should tell us if he's still around or not.

Alison - you go to see your FIL so often, maybe take him fewer cookies. Keep the ones you have already made in your freezer and take them to him the next time you take him cookies. I'm not sure that the cookie tin will keep them any fresher, guess it can't hurt, huh? I remember when we had that Murder Mystery Dinner. I needed a dress so I went to the Salvation Army. There was me standing in the store saying "not sexy enough, not sexy enough"...lol I understand that they're building a Panera Bread near me. I really like them, so I'm hoping that it's not just a rumor but is a fact.

Margaret - it seems in summer I, too, retain more water. I can always tell that in summer my watch is tighter than it is during the winter.

Meg - what is the ladder workout on the treadmill?

kittytoo - happy birthday! I don't think you can access this forum from mobil app, at least I've never been able to. What I usually do, tho, is post something on the main page if I need to.

kitty - I checked out Mahin's site, I signed up for her emails but I didn't see any online classes.

Michele in NC
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    finally bumping into this part of the thread - not even going to try catching up!
    Gail, metro ATL
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here is today's joke of the day:

:happy:

At a Catholic school, there was a "meet the teacher" open house for the 2nd graders. After the meeting, a Nun announced that there would be a small reception afterwards in the cafeteria. All the children and parents filed in, and saw on a table a plate of apples, a plate of cookies, and some water bottles and juice. As the children went through the line, one boy saw that there was a sign on the plate of apples that said, "Take only one. God is watching." So, the boy took an apple and moved on to the cookies. He helped himself, and then took a small piece of paper, and wrote: "Take all you want”. God is watching the apples."

:laugh:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, loved the joke today

Kittytoo. I asked the exact question about posting on the message form the apps. Some one hear told me you have to go the browser on your mobil device and just go to MFP, log in and go to the message boards. I tried it and it works! We are going to Florida in October and I do not want to take my lap top since it is kind of an antique now and is big and bulky. My next laptop will hopefully be an Apple product. Dear hubbie said I can get a new laptop for Christmas and I already have my SIL on the look out for a refurbished one. The desk top is older than the laptop! So I enjoy my Ipad for all my mobil needs.

We went to Bob Evans for supper tonight and they had a picture of their fall menu. I have always seen the cinnamon blossoms at the check out but never had one. Our waitress said we could order one for our bread, in fact we could order two if we wanted. So I ordered one and oh it was so good. They had warmed it up. We have never been to Waffle house. It was a big college hangout when our girls went to Georgetown College (not Georgetown University, this is a Baptist school in Kentucky). It is a 24 hour place and a good amount of students went there to study and drink coffee all night.

Joyce, Indiana
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The Rooster: :explode: Well after the sun came up the SO found where the rooster had been scratching in our back yard. I haven’t called animal control because although the rooster is illegal, I think my neighbors may not have appropriate paperwork. They have been good neighbors until the rooster. So hopefully it will be gone shortly.

Drkatiebug: Bet the bomb scare was a little scary. Glad you made it home late but in one piece!:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: Shame on you scaring that young man!:laugh:

Sylvia: I use blockers on facebook and email so I will not have to endure such. One of my son’s ex-girlfriends sent me the same kind of email. I felt about her the same way you feel about your ex-daughter-in-law. :devil: I agree that you should keep it for documentation.

Kitty: I’ve wanted to do belly dancing for years. I just don’t have enough time to do everything I would like. Although I did purchase a DVD for learning how to do it. I pop it in once in awhile. :happy:

Carol: I agree with Gloria! Get out of the house. We have community centers with free activities. Before the SO I found a lady with limited funds like me that wanted to learn how to golf. We both found one other person, made a group and got four lessons for $20. After we mastered the basics we would go to the driving range and share a bucket of balls for $5. We met so many people and a got a workout to boot.:wink:

Well ladies, it was called to my attention at the bank that my drivers license expired in 2013. So off to DMV I went to rectify the situation. I had to take the written test which I flunked. :tongue: So I have to go back tomorrow after studying the book tonight. Hopefully I’ll pass and then hop in the car to drive to Philly.

I am so looking forward to getting away. I hope to be able to check in!

Take Care All:flowerforyou:

Tere in RVA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, I got a phone with an extra tough exterior so I didn’t buy a special holder or cover, but Jake did for his. I carry mine in my purse in a special pocket or in the pocket of my jeans when I walk the dogs….There is a weekly belly dancing class in the Senior Center where I went for practice for the line dance performance. I noticed the same thing that the women were comfortable with their bodies.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, keep the e mail for documentation and don’t answer it and don’t think about it again. Do not let her words rob you of the joy in your life.

:bigsmile: We had friends over this evening for a discussion that included pizza and I planned how many pieces I’d have as a rare treat. I didn’t eat the dessert and drank a lot of water. My friend who does “Gray Sheet OA” brought her own meal and ate it happily with no concern about the pizza boxes on the table. Our table has extra leaves and opened up to accommodate 10 of us in great comfort. One man had the new phone with the stylus so he could write notes on the screen rather than typing them on the keyboard.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington

:bigsmile: 17,000 steps today including an awesome line dance class
  • dinaesia
    dinaesia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello from TX!
    I weighed myself this a.m. and still no change. This is a long plateau. I need to track my measurements. I can tell my clothes are a smidge looser. Speaking of scales, may I ask which brand/type you have? Does anyone have the one that measures body fat and water weight? Do you like it? My DH is fussing about our scale. He can't get the same reading three times in a row. I said it's because the floor isn't level from the settling of the house. Ours is digital and about 10 yrs old. Sis has a spring type that reads 5 lb different from mine. I put a new battery in ours, and it works fine for me, but DH's still fussing.

I'm into crafts, too. I started with macrame', remember that? In fact, my mom just pulled out a couple of macrame' books and gave them to me I did candlewicking in the 80's. I learned to quilt in the 90's. I'm a home-sewer and quilter. I dabble in restringing beads and making bracelets. My husband knits and does woodworking. He built several quilt frames for me.
    My husband and I are voracious readers.

Welcome Craftergin, Monika, Karen, Zenzen and Ikellandmay.
    If you click on my topics at the top of the message boards, you should see this group in your list. It is very active. Once you post, you're in the group. It helps to keep a notepad handy, unless you have good pc skills.

Steve Harvey had a woman on his show, she does treadmill workouts and dances on the treadmill. I think she goes by Dancingdiva on youtube.

Sylvia -do you use an air cleaner in your studio? Or in your home? We have several and they help my sis's asthma.

Gloria - Good for your office to have healthier snacks! An apple a day....

Joyce - Does your DH take a joint supplement? Have you ever tried Black Cherry juice? It is supposed to be good for arthritis.

Shani - Now that we are older there's more of us to wriggle into a suit. That's why we here at MFP. I like the tankinis, but I'm too tall for them. It's d**n hard to wriggle out of a wet suit to go to the bathroom.

Alison - I also love to clearance shop. I head straight for the clearance racks first thing. Hope your foot feels better soon.

Cynthia - Are you coming to Abilene? I'm about 250 miles from there.

Carol -Good for you for standing up for yourself! I tend to read while the tv is on in the evening. Or I'm on the pc, checking emails, etc.

Moeggep - have a great time on vacation! bring us back some tee shirts!

Monika - you said you're having a hard time with menopause. Have you tried soymilk? My sister told me about it. I use it to cook with like in mashed potatoes, sauces. It has isoflavones, which mimic estrogen. It might help. Menopause is different for every woman.

Anne - I looked at your photos. Wow! You did a lot of work on your house. I love the heron mosaic and the figures. So cool.
    And the phases was funny. Gravity is not our friend.
    I have to say I never cared for Woody Allen's movies. Even though this new one has Colin Firth, whom I love, nope, not gonna see it.

Meg - how wonderful that your co-workers have showered you with baby things. Very thoughtful! Take a moment and catch your breath. You deserve a break.

Kittytoo - Happy Birthday! Have a great weekend!

Diane, in TX
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The last couple of days have been crazy busy - between a ladies lunch thrown by my mom (good china and silver!) with some of my favorite nieces and my sister-in-law and dinner tonight with my mom, dad, sis and her husband - and visits each day to Curves gym. I've thought of you all and will catch up soon. I hope tomorrow!
    Best regards,
    Mimi
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My cold is still hanging on so no training only walking round the garden and our paddocks. keeping an eye on calories. I had Chilli con carne on Mission tortilla chips for lunch and enjoyed it. Forgot how much I liked that
    I used to tech at Countours Gym for a year until I got tired of whining women and left for pastures greener and better gym, my bedroom lol
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Sylvia: “armpit of Kansas”, haha. :laugh: Makes me want to move out there right away! Agree about the mail. Document it somehow and don’t answer.

Tere: good luck with the driver’s test.

Diane: macramé, yep, we all did that! No, I’m not coming to Texas (at least not anytime soon); I’m just trying all avenues to find someone in Abilene who could take photos of two graves and possibly make an inquiry at the cemetery office. :blushing: I’ll keep looking. If I ever go myself I’ll look you up!

I’m very down today; my dog has a lot of pain from what we hope is “only” muscle spasms in his back. :cry: Vet checked him out yesterday and couldn’t find anything internal (and he eats and does #1 and #2). But he’s only lying on the floor and when we go outside (only a few minutes) he walks very slowly and stiffly, and lies down again as soon as we’re back in. It just consumes my thoughts when he’s not well; he’s my buddy and I want to solve every problem immediately.:brokenheart:

In half an hour the guy will come to take off wallpaper and maybe start painting in the spare room; the first phase of the “renovations”.

Hope everybody has a good day (and that my dog improves),
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,255 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just checking in quickly before the fun starts!

Kitty - if you google cauliflower cake ottolenghi it will come up under recipes from The Guardian.

Katla - you mentioning knitted dishcloths made me look it up on U tube and google. I bookmarked an instruction page. You can also knit scritchers from tulle net. :bigsmile: :tongue:

Onward and upward! DH is already saying he is exhausted! I must put my face on before I do anything more.
    While I was cutting up the salmon rolls this morning I was left with some ends. Guess what happened to them.:embarassed: :ohwell: :laugh:
    Love Heather in the UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I slept in, I fell asleep around 7:30-8 last night, woke up at around 10:30 was warm, mr cheapo opens the windows and puts the window fan in the window, meanwhile it is muggy as all get out outside,doesnt want to spend the money on the A.C.:huh:
    so I moved to my room opened the windows and finally fell back asleep and what time did I wake up? 5 a.m. that is at least 2 hours later than I have been getting up..
    my body must have needed it.
    Michelle ~ good idea about putting the cookies in the freezer,next batch that is what I will do, right now I have them in a large zip-locj
    k and will put the zip lock in the tin..
    we love to go to Bob Evans when we are in Florida..
    I get what my dad used to make for us,and his mom made for him.. fried cornmeal mush.. sliced and fried thin and then a little bit of butter and maple syrup,,, mmmmmmmm
    My DB birthday is Sept 4th and he will be 50.. he and his MIL have been up in New Hampshire for the last few weeks and are going down to the cottage tonight for the weekend... I sooo wish I could get up there.. hopefully in a couple of weeks..
    Doris and I did talk to my elderly friend at the Cape.. she just turned 87 yrs old has been in and out of hospitals,nursing homes and home for the last 5 yrs or so.. she had her left leg amputated at the knee and has an ulcerated sore on her other foot that is not healing.. she gets around the house in a wheelchair. Her SO has been through chemo and radiation for lung cancer,but is doing a bit better..
    I so wish I lived closer so that I could help them out, neither of them have family close, I think Ray has a nephew somewhere, and Ruth has a couple of niece's in Germany.
    So we are all they have really..
    this is where I am starting to freak a little .. when something happen's to Doris I am just going to be beside myself..we were talking in the car yesterday and she said she is ready.. and I told her her WELL we are NOT... she is 83 and has her aliments ,but she isnt in to bad a shape..she lost her DH at 60 yrs old from lung and throat cancer and he was like my second dad..he couldnt even tell me that he was terminal,he had my mother do it...
    Ruth will be another one, I met her through Doris ,and I just love the Cape, if I had extra money I would buy a little place up there to summer in... but that wont ever happen...
    Ruth didnt know that I wanted a place up there and they did a reverse mortgage on there home there or else I would have scooped that one up..it was not ment to be..
    the cottage in New Hampshire ,wills stay in the family,but It wont have my name on it.. my DB needs to have something of his own,he has nothing of tangable value.. my DH and I have 2 homes,so that is why I gave up my share to him
    I did look up a few modems that are compatible with our service,wrote them down and my DH just laughed and threw it away, so I am guessing I will be sitting ehre in the corner of his office ,with a t.v. tray a hard chair and my laptop for awhile
  • VictoryWarriorat60
    Options
    Hi ladies. Hope you don't mind me joining in. I just started MFP today. I registered in 2013 but done nothing about it until now. I'm 53, live in the UK and need to lose 40-50lb. I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid three years ago and it's been difficult ever since trying to keep the weight stable. Any advice + motivation + chat would be welcome.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's Friday at last! I thought for a minute that I could sleep late tomorrow, but no, tomorrow is lap time at the pool at 8am. I've been up every morning this week at 5:45 or earlier, so even another hour will seem like a lot.

My middle granddaughter is turning 8 on Sunday so I took cookies for her class this morning. When I walked into the office the lady said, "Hey, aren't you the one who walks her grandkids to school and picks up trash?" Maybe I should just get a T-Shirt.

We are having her birthday at my house on Sunday and I asked her what her favorite meal is. She said Pizza and Corn Dogs. Good grief! Doesn't she get enough of that at school? Every time I ask what they had for lunch it's either pizza or corndogs.

About the letter from the ex-DIL, I forwarded it to my son and he will send it to his lawyer to add to the file. Apparently there is a thick file filled with her acid-laced ramblings. They won't help her in court, that's for sure. Anyway, we have agreed to ignore it and not respond. So I'm trying not to think about it, but all yesterday afternoon I was kind of composing responses in my head. Couldn't help it. It wouldn't stop! But of course, I won't send any of it. Hopefully now that I've said it all in my mind I can forget about it.

Princess, welcome! I hope you stick with us. Post a little something every day so you get in the habit, and we can get to know you better. This is a great group. I don't personally have a thyroid problem, but I bet somebody here has and can give advice.

Diane, We have looked into air cleaners, but they are very pricey. We would need a pretty big industrial model to handle all the dust in this place. But it could help. I have a macrame owl hanging on the wall in the bedroom at the lake cabin. Found him at a yard sale and he needed a home.

Speaking of yard sales, I went to one last weekend. I was looking at a roasting pan with a lid that I liked (a good size for a chicken or small turkey) but it was in a box with a bunch of other pans. Everything was coated with dust, and marked at $30, and she wouldn't split up the set. So, I walked away. As I was leaving she called after me "Would you take that whole set for $15? I just want to get rid of it." Well, that was about what I had hoped to spend on the roaster, so I said yes. I got the box home and didn't mess with them till yesterday. I washed them all, thinking if they were usable I might give the rest of the pans to my son or something. No way! They turned out to be a set of Magnalite Professional hard anodized cast HEAVY aluminum pots and they are like brand new. Three saucepans, two skillets, the roaster and a lasagna pan. I used one this morning and I really like it.

Tere, our neighbors across the street used to have chickens and their rooster was pretty well behaved. But I liked the sound of a rooster in the morning. Reminded me of growing up on farms. I don't know how the other neighbors felt about him. But we don't have any zoning rules out in the country where we live, so if he was a problem, nobody had a chicken-leg to stand on...HeeHee.

Cynthia, I have tried using a mask, especially for spraying glazes and mixing chemicals, but I find it really hard to breathe in a mask. I get light headed after just a couple of minutes. So I try to have a fan blowing the dust away from me, but not sure how well that works. It probably just mixes the dust in the air all over the room. Too bad about your clay teacher with a bad attitude. Most clay artists are a generous, caring and helpful bunch, but occasionally you run into a prima donna. I roll my eyes when I hear anybody refer to themselves as a "master potter". That is the first hint at a**holeism.

Heather, I didn't know about your dad doing pottery. That's great! You learned an appreciation for it. Congrats on the new Word program. I still use the old version 2003 because I have trouble learning new stuff. I'm such a dinosaur. If it does what I need and I know how to use it I don't have any desire to upgrade. That's the way with my drafting software too. It doesn't even work with the newer operating systems, so I'm stuck using XP for the rest of my life. I'll be darned if I upgrade. It would cost over $3,000. Did I mention that I'm cheap too?

Carol, I hope you are feeling better. Depression is really hard! You get to write your own paycheck?

Cindy, your drawing skills are excellent! I can't wait to see your grandmother.

Akinom, Welcome! I don't know what browser you use, but in my google chrome I made a bookmark for the "My Topics" page so I can find the group easily. Every time the thread splits off I look for the link at the bottom of the last page. Posting to that new thread puts it back into your "My Topics" page.

Margaret, I wish I could have seen the Matisse exhibit!

Meg, I wish my hubby would start to eat more healthy foods. We figured out our BMI's the other night and for the first time ever mine is lower than his. He was pretty bummed about that. I am now just barely in the obese range. Two more points and I'll be overweight!

Dr. Katie, we had a bomb threat at Wal-Mart once. They told us on the loudspeaker that there was an electrical problem and that we should all leave our baskets right where they are and proceed to the front of the store. Employees were fanned out ushering us out. Outside we saw the police cars and fire trucks and knew it wasn't just an electrical problem. Turns out it was a disgruntled employee.

Gloria, I regularly toy with the idea of joining a zumba class, but so far have not had the nerve.

Kitty, I love Sand Diego! We went there on vacation once and hubby had just taken sailing lessons (he even had a certificate in his wallet) so we wen to a big lagoon/bay place and rented a little sailboat. It had two sails and I was in charge of the jib. They told us, whatever you do, don't go past the bridge because that's open water! Well, we were having a great time, then hubby dropped the steering thingy and couldn't get it back, and we were heading straight for the bridge! I was laughing, but he thought we were going to die. He finally got the steering thing and we lived to laugh about it. I think that was the last time we rented a sailboat. I use my phone's browser to get to the thread. The app doesn't work for the threads. Wish it did.

Well, I'd better get busy. Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

We are a busy group! I did some yoga this morning and next I will be on the treadmill. The discussion about the rooster reminded me of one my Grandmother had, he was mean. One day he decided I was going to be his target and would chase me every time I went outside. He never caught me, but he had big spurs, that was my motivation to run fast!

Cynthia, I hope your pup feels better soon. It is so hard when our pets don't feel well.

Sylvia, I would buy the T-shirt. You are getting to be famous! I will post the photo of my Grandmother when I post the drawing so you can see both.

Margaret, I would have loved to see the Matisse exhibit. We are fortunate to have strong support for the Arts in Oklahoma. We have some really nice museums in OKC and Tulsa.

I'd better get busy, I've a habit of dawdling in the morning sipping coffee and reading......

Welcome to all newbies and hugs to all!

Cindy in OK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Friends,
    :drinker:

Lesley hope you feel better

Michele my rings get tighter in the summer because of water retention.

Tere hope the neighbor situation clears up soon. There is a reason they say fences make good neighbors. The boundaries are clear.

I use a fertilizer called Chicken Magic. It uses to be called Chicken DOO DOO. Yes it is what you think it is. It does still have a slight smell. So Tere having the real McCoy must be worse.

Slept well last night. I had my tart cherry juice and some calcium and magnesium. I also ate a banana for potassium. I do not drink alcohol because it can disturb deep sleep. I slept eight hours. AHH. Hopefully that will help me start going the right direction on the scale. I know when I am tired it is harder for me to do portion control.

Today I will continue the same bedtime routine so that I get a good night's sleep, so tomorrow I will wake up ready for the day.

2014 Word: contentment
  • SheFitWalks
    SheFitWalks Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Momsamodel - Kim - I love stretching! It feels so good to stretch and get my muscles relaxed. Have you ever done any yoga? I'm wondering if that works the same way as stretching?

I've been doing Leslie Sansone's Walking DVDs this month. Some of the videos on Fit2b.

Does anyone know of a yoga DVD or type of yoga that is good for 50+ ladies who are starting at the very beginning? ...and not very flexible. ;) I watched The Great British Sewing Bee last year and was so impressed with the 70yo winner who does yoga daily.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce and Michele: My neighbors are going to drive me to the airport in the morning and want to take me to a Waffle House. I wonder it if is part of a chain AND I wonder whether they can provide food for someone who can’t eat milk, cream or butter.:huh:

Sylvia: I love your jokes. God is watching the apples, indeed. :bigsmile:

Joyce: You are right about using the Web to log onto MFP. I can do that from my phone, but I’ll be taking my laptop on my trip because it is so much easier to use. I can’t open a document on the side on my phone as I do on my laptop. If DD is still without internet access, I’ll be forced to simply post my food from the phone and say hi to friends. I may be able to find wifi locations. I hope DSIL gets things put back together by the time I get there. I don't think it is a priority. They're in survival mode for now. He's working long hours to make money and she's getting by a day at a time.:flowerforyou:

Tere: Good luck with your driver’s test. I bet you’ll sail through it after just a little study. AARP has an online driving course for those of us “of a certain age." I took it a couple of years ago and got a break on my insurance rates. I ALSO learned how to navigate those $%& traffic circles. Now that I understand them, I like them fine. The class they have isn’t aimed at gaining a license in any particular state though. It is ll about safety. :flowerforyou:

Diane in TX: How can you be too tall for a tankini? They have two pieces and you can even buy different sizes for top and bottom. Do they leave you with a bit of bare midriff?:huh: :flowerforyou:

Lesley: Whiners are obnoxious, and I can understand your frustration. It takes a tactful and patient person to teach them. Then there are those who won’t even try. My mom always said, “I can’t.” It was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Eventually, she couldn’t.

Cynthia: I’m sending good thoughts for your poor dog.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I’ve bought the scritchers in a local shop, but I don’t want to try to knit or crochet one, because I don’t care for the feel of the tulle net in my hands. Scritchers are great for scrubbing carrots or parsnips before adding them to a soup or stew. You don’t even have to peel them, and there is a lot of nutrition in the skin.:flowerforyou:

Princessat50: Welcome. There will be an abundance of good advice here.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: It seems you’re getting noticed for your morning walks to school. I hope others decide to try it, too. Your town will be better for it, and so will the kids and the adults who walk with them. I love the term *ssholism. It is so apt for so many. May none of us join the group.:glasses: :flowerforyou:

I need a haircut! My barber is gone, and the hairdressers I’ve been to don’t “cut it.” They either don’t understand what I’m asking for or don’t have the needed skill. I’m not sure what to do. I'll be taking DH halfway to our son's this afternoon, and we'll all meet for a celebration at a restaurant. Then they'll take him to their house & I'll come home and finish packing. I leave for CO in the morning. Have a great day, everyone.:flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!