WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have a chicken-dog story. We do not have a fence for a dog, but somehow a few years back we ended up with a dog who showed up in our yard with a gunshot wound. We called the police who came out and took a report but would not take the dog. Well, somehow it survived; we started feeding it and it became our dog. We live kind of in the country in a subdivision where houses sit on 2 to 5 acre lots, no restrictions. Well, one of the neighbors pulled up in our yard and told me that our dog was getting into his chickens. I explained about how it wasn't really our dog but had adopted us, we didn't know who it belonged to, I'm sorry, etc, etc, when the dog comes bopping up with one of his chickens in its mouth! I was mortified and went into the house to get a $20 bill to give the man for his chicken. Meanwhile, he got the chicken out of the dog's mouth, said it seemed to be okay, and would not take my $20.

We eventually got the dog shots and gave her a name, but she also must have been adopted by another family close by because she showed up one day wearing a flea collar that we did not put on her. Or perhaps it was her original family because eventually she quit showing up. She was a sweet dog, though, except for the love of playing with the chickens!
  • Akinom523
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Monika, I'm 51 and new to MyFitnessPal (10 days).
    I am a 3 year Fitbit fan, and - of course - need to drop some weight.
    I would like to join your group - how do I do that?

Thank you!
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by for a couple of minutes. :smile:

Work is more hectic than usual since I’ll be out of the office for 2 weeks beginning Friday. :grumble:

I made it to the gym this morning and tried a new piece of equipment in place of my elliptical trainer. This kinda looks like the elliptical trainer but you stand up pedaling. I could only do 5 minutes. It whipped me! :tongue: My heart rate was up in no time.

Storm is raising Cain each morning with these chickens. So the neighbors are getting a symphony of rooster crowing and dog barking around 6 a.m:angry: . I am going to have to do some training tasks….. DeeDee: I am pretty sure he would enjoy have a chicken breakfast, lunch, or dinner.:laugh:

Gloria: Unless someone in addition to the SO is there, the bra comes off as soon as I walk in the door. :ohwell: I don’t even care if I have to put it back on later to go out. The SO always gives a sign of relief when I take it off. He says it just looks painful to him and he is glad men don’t wear them. He is also of the opinion that if I spent more time working out on the butterfly equipment at the gym I might be able to build up enough muscle that I wouldn’t need to wear one. :bigsmile: I don’t bother responding to some of his opinions. I could live on the machine and the H Cup girls would still need a bra!:laugh:

Meg and Joyce: The SO is well trained in doing what is best for his body, but he has decided his best course of action is to have the doctor write him a note with instructions for me to implement. :happy: He does whatever I say most of the time with just a little bit of grumbling. Most of the time I say if you do that this will happen and I don’t want to hear a word of complaint about it. We are still working on the salt intake, he says his blood pressure is now in the acceptable range so he can have salt. Although sometimes the salt shaker does get lost somewhere in the kitchen…..:blushing: With encouragement he has developed a love for cooking and clean eating and that helps a lot.

Have a great day!

Tere in RVA
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Monika - Welcome! You just joined. We're here for support for each other on our journeys through life. Come back, get to know everyone, and post often so that we can get to know you!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday to all!

I've been just kind of floating the past 2 days---the cold settled in my chest and the cough med w/codeine makes me so drifty, sleeping strange hours, gorging on Netflix, and surfacing now and then; well, I'm "up" at the moment so I'll chat a bit. Not getting any exercise but not at all hungry either yet.

Welcome newbies!!

I used to go to a city park for exercise.........I'd stretch and then walk. There was a woman who ran there who would do her cool down walk with me on days when we both showed up and, of course, we'd talk and solve all the local and world problems.......had kids the same age too. I knew her with messy hair, nose running, and wearing a DD's old h.s. letter jacket. Very down to earth. She moved away with her family for her husbands political job.........and, I always had the impression that she adored him and was in awe of him. For those who follow the news, I'd like to make a decidedly personal observation that the person I knew was not anything like the person now being vilified daily in the media reports of the trial here. I know it's been almost 10yrs. and people change but my heart is hurting for the person I once walked and talked with.

Joyce...........I love my Tracphone; I have an LG smart phone and get triple minutes............due to renew soon, will let everyone know what kind of deal I get. I don't text if I can help it and if it rings when I'm home I call the person back on the house phone so my mins. last all year.

Michele..............I used to follow the bus the first day of school and I remember coming home and crying every first day of school. It does seem very strange that this is the first year in many that DD is not getting ready to go back to school
    I keep looking at the store displays before I remember!!

Kim........Your yard project sounds like it will have a gorgeous end result!

Anne..........I am both amazed and impressed by your milage..........I think I'm great if I do 7mi!!! Check out your local running club; a lot of them have very active walking members and competitions of various distances..........I know the walkers in the running club here are some of our most active members.

Mimi.........Ahhhh..........Walnut Creek sounds sooooooo reastful to me for some reason.

Alison.........Why not get your reno done as soon as you can so you can enjoy it before you have to move?

Meg...........Nikita.......I've heard lots worse, I like it, bet she gets called Niki. We knew back in Feb that DD was wait listed (she's #9). Out of over 1400 applications they only take 120 and of the 120 only 50 are from our state; so the odds of getting into vet school here are not good for anyone............that, being said, we really need the instate tuition rates.........

Pat...........I was the only book reader in my house growing up. I only remember my mom reading the church mag. or her little daily devotional book............my dad, his Bible.

Gloria..........Congrats on your new job!

Katla...........Hope your plans are coming together smoothly for the trip to your DDs and your worry for your DH is lessened by the plans made for him too; given his history, I can see why you worry about thim.

Lesley.................YUCK, a cold! Hope it's shortlived!

Diane.........Thanks for the La femme Nikita mention; I was trying like mad to remember that show........I loved it!

Teri.........If you are going to be Philly center city, and are so inclined, there is a super Rodin museum...also take a look at Moshulu, a fabulous flotaing restaurant
    had one of the very best meals of my life there!!!

Has anyone else noticed the ebola outbreak is growing??? Yes, I know I obcess about this kind of stuff.......

On family trees.........I was working on my DH's...............turns out the family is Dutch!..........possibly German, but the evidence is more toward Dutch..........and they were among the earliest of the Philadelphia area settlers. This is really odd because he always said he was Polish............ Still can't top the surprise of finding out that both my Lutheran mom and Methodist dad both have Jewish roots..................but it does explain my love of Jewish food and humor!

Off to feed my face..........
    Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I hope you enjoy your visitor and have had a good time.:flowerforyou:

Shani: I’m curious about what changes you’re making in your posture due to Pilates. :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: When we were redoing the our upper deck last fall I considered painting a floor cloth for it, but lacked suitable workspace. I ultimately found an outdoor rug for the spot. What kinds of things have you done in the past? My yoga instructor says there is a Lake Oswego company that makes sports bras that offer support without chest compression and boob flattening. She uses their products when running marathons.:flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: I’d never heard of atrophic vaginitis so I looked it up on line. I found some interesting articles with all sorts of ways to mitigate symptoms. Some of the suggestions seemed reasonable. I wish you luck with this.:flowerforyou:

Rita: I’m happy to see you posting here again with a bit more frequency. You have been missed. I’m glad to help with the Chihuahua spelling. :wink: I also wonder about people who constantly gripe about their partner and stay married anyway. I think some people simply like to gripe. None of my personal friends are in this category. One of the good things to do when happily married is to avoid people who are having trouble. It is too easy to take sides and fight their fights. We learned that early on.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: There is a big difference between a snug bra and a boob flattener/lung constrictor.:grumble:

Gloria: Congratulations on the new job.

Kit in AZ: South Africa is the other side of the earth! On the other hand the internet makes distance a different sort of obstacle than it once was. Communication is easy, but visiting is hard.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You can wear an underwire in an airport, but you’re likely to have special attention because of it such as x-ray, pat downs, and wanding. I’d rather scoot through without that if I can.:flowerforyou:

Rori: Bargain hunters buy patio furniture at the end of the season. We got our upstairs set at Thanksgiving. We’d been looking for several years and found it on sale online.:smile: I am unlikely to attain frequent flyer status. The last time I was on an airline was four years ago for my DD’s wedding. I don’t care for “canned air” and being exposed to the illnesses of dozens of strangers. Then there is the claustrophobia. :glasses: I fly as a last resort when necessary and drink lots of water. I’ll arrive in CO on Saturday and be there until about September 7. That is the date I must get home due to DH’s pending surgery. I may bring DD & the kids with me if she still needs help. The other grandma is up to her ears in family health issues and isn’t able to come as planned.:flowerforyou:

Zanzen: Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Shari: I bought a tankini this year for the very reason you mentioned. I wanted the ease and convenience of being able to use the bathroom without completely undressing.:flowerforyou:

Carol: I like to read when there is nothing better to do. Since I like to read A LOT, it is often the best thing to do.:bigsmile:

Vicki: We’re keeping Direct TV for now, but we stopped automatic pay.:angry:

DH wants to have breakfast and it seems my morning time is done. I hope everyone has a good day.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • Akinom523
    Options
    Thank you, Carol!

Well, to introduce myself, my name is Monika, I did not have weight issues for most of my life, I'm sure many of you can relate.
    Then the mid 40's put a damper on it, but ok, I just worked out a little and avoided an ice cream here and a pie there.
    But then the 50's hit out of nowhere and I gained so much weight! I have over 20 lbs to spare - gained it in a little over a year! And to the best of my knowledge, I didn't do anything to deserve this!
    I have absolutely no experience in dieting - and very little patience for that.
    I am finally reaching the point where I realize that stomping my foot and screaming how unfair this whole perimenopause thing is, won't get me anywhere. So here we go, counting calories. I have a Fitbit for the last 3 years and enjoy competing with myself.
    I do work out, but I could be more consistent with workouts and with my diet. Right now I am at that dangerous spot where I am about to have to replace my entire wardrobe, cause I don't even fit in the "fat day" pants.
    My hormones are going wild, I need a revolving door kind of blanket at night, I get hot, cold, hot, cold - ugh.
    And by day I blush sweaty like a bad bad schoolgirl that just has been caught smoking. But what am I telling you all....first one to raise the hand and say they love menopause symptoms gets a weird stare!

On the up side, I am happily divorced for over 10 years. I found somebody new, but he had a motorcycle accident over 8 years ago and is severely brain injured. I am his legal guardian and caregiver. He lives in a nursing home, and I visit him daily.
    I live with my 2 rescue dogs, Puzzle (hound mix) and Donar (Doberman), I work a fulltime desk job, I love country dancing and my crazy girlfriends.
    I am German, live in the US for 11 years and love my new hometown, Houston and I look forward to getting to know you all!
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies!

Happy Hump Day to all. Hope your day is going as well as you'd like it. :)

Well, I must begin by saying I don't know how all of you seem to do it. By that, I mean keep up with everyone's names and news. I read all the post, but forget who said what. :frown: I don't get to get on here as much as I like. I believe I told you all I can't get to the community on my phone and I don't have a computer....yes, I'm probably one of the last to not own one. :grumble: I do the best I can wth what I have, tho. So please for give me if I don't get on this part of MFP unless it's M-F. This is at work and thank good ness I do have access to a computer and all of you.

I do want to point out that I LOVE reading all of your post when I can! You are an amazing bunch of wome and I am proud to "know" you all. You are very encouraging and upliting. The thing I like the most is the pounds you all have lost. I'm truly amazed at how well everyone has done. PLEASE GIVE ME A FEW POINTERS! I hate to say it, but I don't cook except on the week ends, and that's only sometimes. I am all about quick and easy. I don't have a cupboard full of different things that I can "whip" together something good for my fiance" and I. And my fiance", bless his heart, litterally lives on bologna sandwiches.....and is good with that. Week ends, we usually grill out or eat out. (And this is getting too expensive) I'm afraid I am a poor excuse for a person. :ohwell: I never really learned to cook....or cook things that are good for you! :tongue: I know that's sad for a 59 y.o. to not know how to cook nutritious meals....but most of the people in the south seem to like fattening foods.

With that being said, I truly hope all is well with each and every one of you. I promise I will get everyone's name and the story that goes with it. My memory isn't doing to well, the older I get. :embarassed: Please take care and keep coming back.
    And welcome to all the "newbies". I am still one, but I hope to become a regular on here. This is an awesome group of ladies!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Akinom523
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing!
    I figure I have to read the posts with a notepad at hand, so I can remember names and what they said....
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,884 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new people! Come on and post any time you like!

drkatiebug - your story about the dog reminded me about a cat I had once. We had an orange male tabby named Fred who must have been part Coon cat because he was huge and furry. Well, one day I was washing dishes and looking out the window and saw something that looked really strange in the woods behind my house. Called DH over and he got binoculars. Well, lo and behold, it was Fred on top of a chicken trying to catch it and riding it around! It was hilarious! But he also had killed a couple. Well next day, my neighbor who owned the chickens complained about 'wild animals' killing his birds so he had to put up a fence to keep them in. We just looked away and s******ed. Never told him what happened! Another time, Fred came home with what looked like a bullet hole in his face. Cleaned it up and he went on to heal and still be a hunter. Another time, he came home and someone had shaved him bald except for his head! He looked so funny and much like a lion. We never did figure out who the other family was, but figured he was living a double life!

katla49 -- Thanks for your comments. I believe in if you are going to find a complaint or something wrong, don't talk about it unless you have a possible solution. Otherwise, I feel it doesn't pay to complain. It doesn't change anything but sometimes, just feels good to get it out.

Well, my son went to court today for his 'run from the cops' incident. They postponed the court date to the week before Thanksgiving. Not the best time I must say.

I must get back to work. Thanks for being there and listening everyone!

Rita
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Monika & Pearlie: Those of us who respond to many individuals typically have a word document open on the computer screen beside the Women 50+ page. We write our responses into the word document as we read people’s comments. Then at the end, we copy our word document and paste it into MFP. I came to this habit after taking notes and writing extensive comments and then having a computer hiccup that wiped it all out. I lost my post several times before I changed to this system.:grumble: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • nccarolb
    Options
    Wanted to share a fun little fact with y'all...Did you know that, when you don't have a kitchen scale in the office, the postage scale works really well as a substitute?! :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Losing weight at a certain age
    Phase I
    First you find out that your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is so low that you practically have to eat like a rabbit to stay within it.

Then you realize that due to your small stature and the fact that you do not have to lose so much weight that nearly any activity only burns very few calories per hour in comparison to taller and heavier persons.

So you in this case I decide to eat like a rabbit and make up for low calorie burn by being active for hours and hours doing my favorite thing, ie. cycling and eventually the weight starts dropping off.

Enter phase II

The first pound seems to come off your face and makes you look haggard.

Then your breasts shrink rapidly resembling more empty bags than something feminine, let only sexy.

Followed by a derriere looking suddenly deflated .

The saddle bags start to disappear, finally something you like.

And last not least that little roll on top of your stomach and that ugly backfat dissolves.

You are left with areas of empty skin, which looks fine as long as you are dressed , not so good in anything revealing.

Phase III in the past

I start eating more to fill out these empty areas, because skin surgery is out of the question and of course end up at Phase I again because I cannot stand carrying too much weight.

Why do they always tell us that we get wiser ?

Anne, grateful that the weather frogs were wrong and it is not so hot at the moment
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Annie – interesting that you would consider living somewhere else if money wasn’t an issue… I just assumed that the dessert was chosen because folks loved the heat… I have never even visited as I do not like heat at all… HMMMMM “assume” I re- learn how to spell that word too darn often; I will learn!

Cynthia – Count me in! a listening ear

Pat – I love to read also, we did not get a tv until I was ten and even there it was very limited on what we could watch… but homework, reading and playing games… we did a lot of , Mom also often had a big jigsaw puzzle out.

Alison – so hard to get folks to give up their licenses; at least in my area there is not reliable public transportation

Tere – I am surprised to hear you can have roosters; in my town you can have up to 6 chickens but NO roosters….

Heather – enjoy your company! Congrats on new shoes!

Shani – welcome

Katla – sports bra girdle LOLOLOLO

Meg – glad you have decided to like the name Nikita….

Kitty – so are you going to South Africa???

Carol – WOW so proud of you for setting that gal straight! You be as anal as you need to be !
    As for evenings; I don’t get many with down time, but I did join a book club that fills one evening a month with the club and a number of evenings reading the book for the next month…

Craftergin – welcome
    Akinom – you just joined – welcome!!! – thanks for sharing about yourself; lots of the gals here are dealing with menopause issues… I am sorry to hear about your friend in the accident, what a horrible thing, and what great commitment to visit everyday – you are a great friend.

Pearlie - I have to admit, I don’t know how I would lose weight if I did not cook, it is hard to go it on pre-packaged and “go-out” food… But that said, start small…. A pre-cooked chicken and a bag of salad fixing can be a dinner with sliced chicken on day and the chicken shredded on the salad the next….

Worked some more on the front yard, just adding cardboard and mulch, decided that a chair and maybe little table needs to go in a corner of the lot under a tree...I'll be on craigs list looking for one...

August goals :
    Stretch 5 minutes a day xxxx
    Walk 45 minutes a day 15 times
    Do Heather’s abc balance 1 time a week 3 weeks done

Kim from N. California
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Hi, new and old ladies. I mean new and old to MFP of course.

Wanted to report that I finished that book from Deborah Moggach on which the movie “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” is based.

I liked the book too, though it is quite different from the movie and many of the characters are switched around in the movie, so it is a little bit confusing reading the book after you saw the movie.

The book seems a little bit more realistic, the movie being more sugar coated, streamlined and humorous. For example the Marigold Hotel in the book is in Bangalore, which is the Silicone Valley of India and not a particular interesting town, while in the movie the Marigold Hotel is in Jaipur in Rajistan, which is much more exotic. There is no charming, good looking , young manager of the hotel in the book and there are more characters with all the detriments of old age to follow. I am now reading another book of the same author “Tulip Fever”.

I am also on my way to the movies again. This time I am going to see the yearly offering in August from Woody Allen. I was not a big fan of Woody Allen in his earlier years, but I like the movies he makes now. I particularly liked “Match Point” , “Vicky Christina Barcelona” and “Blue Jasmine” and I find even his movies which are not so good, well worth the money and entertaining and thought provoking..

Diane in TX

Yeah, my bedroom has a southwest exposure and the late afternoon sun really hits it. I did already everything you suggested and more. I planted trees to shade that wall. I covered the whole house wall with mosaics in the futile hope that this would give it more insulation. But you know our summers, if it stays 100 degree Fahrenheit at night, it is pretty hopeless.

Sylvia

I always forget to ask you if you are a ceramist? I got that impression because you mentioned kilns?

I am a hand-builder. Never learned to throw.

I know Kansas has a fantastic Ceramic Art institute, I wanted to apply there at one time, but could not figure out the logistics. .

Carol
    About the evenings.
    I am retired. And somehow I seem to be busy all the time. I read a lot. But I also make sculptures. I have to keep my hands busy so that I cannot eat. I used to knit a lot and loved it. But I really do not need sweaters here in Nevada. I must have about fifty of them, I barely ever wear.

Craftergin

Welcome to the group. I used to live in the Valley, but then moved to Nevada.

Kitty

I would go to South Africa in a heart beat. I have never been there, only in Kenya and more northern African countries, but I hear South Africa is breathtakingly beautiful.

YannieJannie

Thanks for the tip. I will. I need to move my legs in a different way than only biking.

Pearlie

I usually like to cook, but lately I do not want to spend too much time in the kitchen because I get too tempted. I bought a rice cooker and make very simple, fat free meals with it. I had a Japanese student renting a room from me once and I watched him cook his meals with a rice cooker. Looking at his slim figure, I could see that he was doing something right.

You need to use brown rice . Brown rice cooks very slowly but they give you measuring cups , so that it comes out right every time. Brown rice is much better for weight loss than white rice. After the rice cooked about ten minutes, I add chicken or turkey and vegetables in the steam dish. Add some spices and after twenty minutes and no work you have a nutritious, low fat meal without much clean up. I buy frozen turkey patties and hormone free chicken breasts and big bags of frozen vegetables. Or mostly I use fresh vegetables.
    But the best way for me to lose weight is to eat huge salads, I throw in everything I like and munch on it all day. At the moment I very rarely eat meat.

Anne
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Kim

I just saw your post and will answer it right away while I am still on the computer. It was never my intention to stay in Nevada.

I also did not realize how much harsher the climate is here than in was in the L.A. area. When you visit somewhere, you never get the full picture.

I like heat and warm weather. But we get over hundred days with over 100 degree Fahrenheit here. It is too much. I am an outdoor person. I like my garden, I cannot use it in summer at all. There is a huge retirement community here, but those who can afford it go somewhere else in summer.

Anne
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Ann, yes, I make pottery. Mostly wheel thrown but some hand building. I've actually taken a lot of time away from pottery after I had a year of heart trouble, but yesterday I threw several pieces just to see if I still remembered how. I have a little studio and gallery that has been sadly neglected. I'm hoping to get back to it now.

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    Options
    Thanks for your evening activity suggestions! I will get back in the swing of things but, right now, since I just finished the huge projects of getting the house on the market and the boy child off to college, it feels so odd to have time on my hands. I do read--A LOT! That is my very favorite pastime and has been that way since I was a child. In the winter months, I also crochet and knit (too danged hot right now to hold yarn!) and I scrapbook but I don't want to pull out "messy" stuff while the house is up for sale. I actually have several books (besides my 'for fun' read that is always present) that I've purchased and put aside while I was so busy. I will pull one of those out tonight and get going on it. I also am going to begin the packing process. Might as well get all of that temporarily unneeded stuff put into boxes so that I can concentrate on last minute stuff when moving time does arrive. (May that be SOON!)

I wish it was time to go home! I'm hungry but don't want to eat until I get home and have my real dinner. I'm also tired of sitting here! It's gotten to the point that sitting for more than 30-60 minutes makes me hurt all over. There are too many people here today to pace like I usually do by this time of the day. Oh well, I have jobs so I must be grateful. I wish I could take this down time and transfer it to December and January when I'm so busy I can't breathe!

Off to see what else I can get done...

Carol in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie~ If we could afford it we would, we are always flyin sorta by the seat of our pants,we hav a bit of savings, but we are paying windows off for our place in florida,we are trying to fix that up peace meal also..our home her in Ct. was built the year I was born so it is 54 yrs old.. we have done some updating.siding,rood,new kitchen counters,sink took down a few walls,yardwork..
    but with me working 30 hrs a week, and my DH workin 52 we are just trying to survive and make it to his retirement, becuase for me it will be at least 10-12 before I can even think about that..
    by that time who knows if we will be on this earth for goodness sake.
    when Tom gets back from Florida in October we will be selling our Chevy Traverse, it is a full size minivan that we bought and traded in our pick up and our malibu, which we both miss(malibu) bought the chevy cruze and that is sitting in florida covered up, dont really need 3 cars , so the traverse will go and we will use that money to get the cabinets reserfaced, put new laminate in the kitchen and family room, we will do it piece meal,so that it is cheaper that way
    ate pretty horrible today,but tomorrow is another day..
    going out with my friend Doris, tomorrow so that will be fun.. have to figure out what to make the DH for dinner tomorrow..
    well my DSIL spoke with my dad and my uncle and came up with a plan to save the place in New Hampshire and my dads home..
    they will quick claim deed the new hampshire cottage to Sean and Jean.. which leaves me out of it, I will not get anything when my dad goes. but that is ok, DH is so close to retirement we dont want to mess our financials up..
    dad will get a home equity load and pay the taxes off and get the leins off of things, and Sean will be responisble for the cottage..
    I have tried to be a good person all my life, and I dont expect anything left to me from either side of the family.. but it would be nice to get a little something .. Oh well, Toms brother got his parents house,his other brother took mommy for whatever money they had and Tom the responsible one got squat..
    just goes to show ya huh?
    I guess our reward will be in heaven
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Oh well, we have a flash flood warning and there is no way that I am going to leave the house. So I am going to chat a little bit more.

Sylvia

How wonderful. I have two kilns in my garage, but it turned out that the garage is really too hot to work in most of the year. So I converted one of my bedrooms in a studio.

I like to work big, but the big kiln is a little bit battered at the moment, I have to find a repairman to get it fixed. So I can only make smaller stuff. One day, in Santa Fe, I saw one of these huge ceramic sculptures Viola Frey made and immediately wanted to do something as big. Never was able to, unfortunately. Oh well, she was a professor and had a lot of helpers in her grad students.....

There is nothing more healing than to dip your hands into clay. I will take throwing lessons, one day, I hope.. I started working with clay because in the Southwest we have so many Indian tribes who make beautiful pottery and story tellers. One day also in New Mexico I watched an Indian demonstrating how to coil a pot. I decided that I wanted to try that and I never looked back.

I hand built huge vessels but mainly I do figures. None of my life-size figures is still alive. It is very frustrating. It turned me a little bit off to try again. I am isolated with my ceramic work now. I used to take lessons at the local university, but my favorite professor is retired now. And everybody else throws. .
    Like with many other things I discovered my love for ceramic a little bit too late in life.

Anne