WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Kayzoola, I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through with your mom. I hope you will keep us updated on how things are going.

As far as getting negative comments about how thin you have gotten...poo-poo-poopie on them! You are taking care of yourself and doing great at it. Is your family heavy? Maybe they are jealous and think you are looking better than them so they have to drag you back down a notch or two. Family are usually the worst for sabotaging self esteem. Or maybe with the stress over your mom they are just searching for something else to focus on. Same it has to be you. Keep your chin up!

Sylvia
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Another busy day, just wanted to say hi and hope you are having a great day. I did treadmill today then cleaned house. Burned a lot of calories! Hubby took our little old pug girl to the vet to get her annual shots. She seemed fine but after about 2 hours was really itching and walking circles around the house. Not sure if it was a reaction or if something bit her. She is resting now.

Meg, we had three pugs and now just the girl pug. Pugs are perpetual 2 year olds and lots of fun, but not great travelers. Our next furry baby will be a Maltese. We should know tonight when we get him. I will update everyone soon!

Hugs to all,

Cindy in OK
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Kayzoola, I'm so sorry about your Mother. Hugs and prayers for you.

Cindy in OK
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Kayzoola

I found losing my mother (and father) one of the most difficult experiences in life. I never expected it to be so hard, after all it is natural and we see it coming for years. Nevertheless, when it happens and for a long time afterwards I could barely deal with it.

Do not cut yourself off and come to this site for support. About getting negative comments about your weight loss: Sometimes when we lose a lot of weight the body needs time to adjust and we go through a time we do not look so good. But that will even out, plus you are under stress now. Do not get discouraged by them.

I remember I was greatly concerned about the health of a neighbor who lost a lot of weight rather quickly and looked sick for some time. But it turned out that he had lost the weight too quickly and now he looks just fine.

Anne in NV
  • Beachlady24
    Beachlady24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good Day Beautiful Ladies !
    I am new... 52 and recently moved from CA to NC. I just wanted to pop in and say Thank you so much for sharing. I read the stories and I know I'm not alone. I see all these beautiful faces and I am so inspired to hang in there when times are trying. This is an amazing group of women. My story... I've had a stroke to my optic nerve that has affected my vision, so I retired early. This is all new to me. I have so much time on my hands, so I am learning to garden :flowerforyou: . I may not be able to drive anymore, but I am so thankful to have this time with my husband and children. It is my youngest daughter's 20th birthday today. And you have given me a gift!
    Donna
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Sometimes this thread moves so fast that it is difficult to catch up.

There a few things which stuck in my mind but i cannot find them anymore, one of them is

YannieJannie

You were talking about the McDonnells, weren't you.? Well, in this case it looks like all the blame is heaved on the wife. Politicians ..... I am sure she is a nice person, once the tabloids get their claws into a story there is not much left of a person.

I also have a general health question

Despite the fact that nobody can deny that I move my legs enough, I retain water in my ankles.
    I very, very rarely see a doctor and last time I asked her she prescribed some water pills, which did not seem to have much effect. Does anybody has any house remedies?

Sylvia

I always enjoy your jokes. Scary, with the meth lab. So far I have been lucky that there were no meth labs, shootings or illegal marijuana growers in my immediate neighborhood. But that may only be because my house is small, they seem to be more active in the neighborhoods with big houses.

As I am unencumbered I enjoy working on my environment. After all there are enough tract homes around which all look alike. I live in a cul-de-sac with little traffic, but sometimes when I look out the window I see people taking pictures of my house, they probably think I am crazy. I wish I had an empty lot to make a sculpture garden, I am running out of space. Most of my neighbors are supportive and give me their empty bottles instead of recycling them and thank me for embellishing the neighborhood. Some of them do not know what to think of it..

Monika

I cut bottles with an electric tile cutter. If you want to drill a hole in a bottle you just need the right drill bit. Go to Homedepot or any hardware store and ask for a drill bit for glass.

Heather

You go girl. I need something new to read.

Cindy

How is your drawing coming along?

Renny

Have you thought of joining a cycling group? I usually cycle in a group. Only in summer I want to get on the road so early that I bike at a time, nobody else wants to get up.

Cycling in a group teaches you a lot and is fun and most of the groups happen on the weekend.

About misplacing or losing things. I am the queen. I do not know how to label it. ADD, dementia, Alzheimer ,old age or stupidity? On bad days I spend hours searching for something, which has a designated spot in my house like keys, sunglasses, reading glasses or cell phone. Only that I left that item in a different location where it does not belong at all and so I never look there. I wish everything came equipped with a beeper. I can see myself already running around with several of these devices (you know the kind of "I have fallen and can't get up ones) around my neck. Everyone with a different music and alerting me to where I can find the missing items. I guess they will invent something like this soon.

I went biking today despite the fact that my derriere was still hurting from yesterday. But again the weather forecast was bad for the coming days, so I went.

I have no skills in the sewing department. But I would like to invent a new biking short. For those of you who are not familiar with long distance biking, you wear bike shorts which are equipped with a sort of diaper, they call it pad, to cushion your behind, because it is really tough to sit for hours on that little saddle. Now these bike shorts are not only expensive,they are also not very effective. I keep buying new ones in the hope to find one which lessens the pain.
    It all does not make much sense to me, you buy an expensive saddle which is supposed to be comfortable and then you sit on top of this saddle on a huge diaper which basically eliminates the form of the saddle. But without the biking shorts it does not work either.

Anne in the Mojave desert
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Kayzoola, I am so sorry about your mother. I cannot imagine what you are going through. Cyber hugs sent your way.

As for the relatives, try to shake that off. They are concerned because they know you are dealing with a lot. If they are used to seeing you heavy, you will look too skinny to them until they get used to the new you. I had a friend that I had never known at a "normal" size. When she lost 70 lbs, I thought she was too skinny, but really, she was in the right range for her height. She has kept it off for a couple of years now and it took about that long for me to get used to it. I did keep my opinion about her looking too skinny to myself since it would not have been helpful and I knew it was just my perception.

Do try to pop in for support and take care of yourself.

K
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Kayzoola,sending hugs:heart::heart: :heart:
    Kitty,Happy belated birthday:flowerforyou: :drinker:
    more storms coming thur,pretty intense.
    HUGS
    jane
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    Kitty how long do you let your Kombucha ferment and how did you create a starter for it. Do you ever add fruit juice to sweeten it rather than a sugar. The version I bought was made with tea and raspberry juice. It has more of a raspberry taste than tea. It is a bit tarter than raspberry juice by itself. You right is has a fizz to it too. I find drinking about 4 ounces satisfying and I sip it rather than chug it down.

Just got back from our State Fair. Had a great time. The most fun we have is just walking around the fair and seeing the sights. I also enjoy the fine arts, ecology building, education and craft buildings. The also have a building that has flowers and produce on display. We didn't see much of the animals this year. Only briefly went to the horse barn. They did have a great exhibit on different features of a horse like what they look like on the inside and how long their digestive system is. The police exhibit was interesting too. They demonstrated what happens in a roll over crash. Convinced me to always buckle up after watching that. I made sure I thanked them for the dangerous job they have. We just had an officer killed on a routine traffic stop.

Today I enjoyed our State Fair, so tomorrow I have good memories.

2014: contnetment
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    evening all,
    I had to wing it today,trying to figure out exerise , this darn fit bit is giving me fits... and havent heard anything back from them..
    it just sits there and doesnt power up, I have reset it , cleaned the contacts..everything..
    ate ok today..
    Katyzoola~ I know how hard it is, I lost my mom almost 15 yrs ago, and I didnt have the network of friends ,like I do now..
    I hope you can think back on all the wonderful memories you have had and help her ease through the transition and know that one day you will see each other again..:heart:
    well off I go,going to bed early and then up early.. I sorta like it this way
  • Akinom523
    Options
    Anne,

Regarding your water retention, there may be several factors to consider:
    How much sodium do you get per day?
    How much water do you drink?
    If you find your sodium intake to be fine and water intake sufficient to hydrate you, then you maybe fined relief with a dandelion tea. A friend of mine calls it the "p-tea". Some people do good with a banana a day.

Thanks for the tip, I will check into that - I'm at Home Depot anyway pretty much every weekend!

Kayzoola,

I lost my mom less than 3 month ago, and I still can't wrap my head or heart around that fact.
    I'm sending big hugs your way!
    Regarding your friends and the skinnier you - on one hand you're dealing with a lot of stress right now. On the other, as long as you feel healthy, enjoy the fruit of your hard work!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Kayzoola - Keeping you in my thoughts. Haven't been there yet but know it's coming.

Donna - Welcome! There are several of us here that reside in NC. What area do you live in?

Anne - I don't know the answer to your bike seat woes, but I am very interested in finding out. I like riding my son's bikes but the seats make my lady parts hurt in addition to my behind. I don't ride as much as I would like because of that.

I ended up skipping work today. It will make the rest of my week harder but I felt totally exhausted this morning. I think the past several months are catching up with me.

Michele - The school is providing gluten free pizza but not much else. With Celiac disease, even the tiniest bit of gluten can cause serious problems. Evidently, they have gluten free bread available but the sandwich meats are out where they are likely to be cross- contaminated by other students dropping bread crumbs on them or touching their own bread with the tongs and placing them back on the meats. The dining hall seems to be set up for those eating gluten free as a choice not as a necessity.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I hope that perfect buyer comes sooner rather than later. I would really like to be settled in a new place by the end of the year.

Alison - My two cents worth: Go for the new job! Many employers will work with new hires who already have travel plans in the works. All you can do is ask!

The repairs on my daughter's new condo seem to have been done to satisfaction. She hired a plumber to go out and inspect the work the owners had done to be sure everything was properly done. Her closing date has been moved to September 2. I'll be glad when she is moved and settled!!

I think I will go have dinner now. My tummy is growling!

Carol in NC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    It’s a Monday. And I was feeling quite lazy so I stayed home today. I ended up finishing our taxes (!!!) and catching up on all our retirement accounts. So I am very pleased. Tonight is aqua zumba. Otherwise no news to report.

Carol: I agree you need a rest day! Do you have your house with an agent? What does he or she say about the lack of showings?

Rori: Grand Platte NE? Do you mean North Platte or Grand Island? I'm about 2 hours from Grand Island (Vicki lives there) and about 5 1/2 from North Platte. Your seafood restaurant sounds grand!!!

Akinom: I often feel relieved to go to work so I can rest up from the weekend!

Sylvia: I had quite the laugh reading about your hubby trying to rationalize with the dogs!

Joyce; I feel overwhelmed thinking about our ministers and what they are going through leaving after 18 years! I’m not sure I could do it

Michele: let us know how the mushroom recipe turns out. The problem with dd is not that she’s mean but that she doesn’t think and she doesn’t get that her actions affect others. That was always something we tried very hard to instill in her

Anne: no need to feel bad; I had a hard time with the acronyms too. But funny, I texted my daughter the other day and said “ty” which means thank you and she had no idea what that meant. I thought it was cute that old me knew what that meant and she did not!

Beth: what a great idea to slice your own meat. I had no idea they were that expensive!

Jane: I forgot where you live with all that humidity.

Kitty: happy birthday! I hope it was wonderful and memorable

Sylvia: I am also glad Bruno didn’t find a homicidal bug! Having a degree in English I really cracked up over the joke

DrKatie: hang in there!

Kayzoola; I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she has peaceful days. As far as looking emaciated when you are at
    a normal weight, is it possible you lost some quickly enough to look “saggy” or are you pale from stress? I have two dear friends who lost a lot of weight quickly and did not look very good for several months; they looked kind of sick. But after a while, something “adjusted” and although they did not gain their weight back, they started looking healthier and healthier. So it may be like for you and that your family will see a good difference soon. In any event, please take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. You know what is best for you. (((hugs)))

Jan: I hope your recovery continues! This has been hanging on a long time

Lahdidah: welcome to the group

Cindy; can’t wait to see your new baby!

Anne: I could never stand regular bike seats for all the reasons you mention. Now I have a recumbent bike that is OOOOOO so
    comfortable!

Well we are supposed to get lots of rain and storms in the coming few days. The Old Farmer’s Almanac also says we will be having a bad winter too. Well! At least my coats fit now! Woo hoo! Take care all, Meg from Omaha where we might be floating into your town soon
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Kayzoola:smile: I'm so sorry to hear about your mothers ailing health! Sending you good wishes and hugs!

Jane Martin:smile: What a lovely pic of your adorable grandchildren:love: !!! Any news about a house?

Yanniejannie:smile: Could you please send some willpower my way, I surely could use a little bit:happy: ! Hope your cold is over soon, it's so not fun being sick in the summer,actually no fun being sick anytime of the year! Feel better soon:flowerforyou: !

Sylvia:smile: Love the jokes! Stay inside out of the heat!!!!!!

Heather:smile: I'm so looking forward to reading your book:bigsmile: !!! Life your profile pic, everyone looks like they're having a grand time!

Cindy:smile: I'm excited to see your new little fur baby:love: ! I love the pic of your pugs, they are so cute:love: !!!

Ann in NV:smile: I just have to say I'm so impressed with your bike riding!!! How long have you been riding? Are you retaining fluid anywhere other than your ankles? Sometimes my hands get puffy from the heat and humidity, and sometimes it's because I've had too much sodium:embarassed: .

Margaret:smile: I love going to the fair and walking around. Our fair is in Oct., so the weather should be a lot nicer than it is right now. My best friend and I go, and we have a blast, and make lots of memories.

Akinom523:smile: So sorry for the loss of your mother:cry::brokenheart: . My mom has been gone for 12 years and miss her everyday:heart: !

Carol:smile: Sending good wishes that your house sells soon!!! What a shame about the University only providing bread and pizza gluten free:angry: !

Meg:smile: Congrats on getting the taxes done:bigsmile: !!! I have to say I didn't know what "ty" meant either:blushing: . I had a friend text "otw" once and I texted back "what???" , it means on the way:tongue: . I do better just typing the word out:laugh: . So are we all in for a bad winter this year?

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: !!!

It has been a busy day around here. New patio furniture was delivered today, new blinds went up, shelves put back in the dining room, the great room is looking almost like it should. Hopefully by next week I will have my house back...YAY!!!! I'm changing alarm companies, I had an incident the other day with one of my security screens going off and the company (I won't name names, but it's a big company) didn't notify me or call the police to have it checked it out. When I called them to inquire why, they said they couldn't get me on the phone (the alarm is going off and you can't reach me, would that not be enough to send the police out to check???? Evidently not....) so I had a local company come over today, they can use the existing wiring so it shouldn't be too much trouble to switch over, and they're cheaper!!! I'm still really upset at the other company. It turned out to be a loose wire, when they took the screens out to wash the windows they didn't get everything put back just so. Thank goodness that's all it was!

Time to take my sweet little doggie for a walk:love: ! Hope everyone has a wonderful evening! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hugs,
    DeeDee in gorgeous NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    kayzoola, so sorry about your Mom. But I can tell you through my own personal experience that these ladies here will envelope you in their arms and stay with you as long as you need them. My Mom died in 2011 and my MIL last year and I know what you are going through. Mom was a huge amount of strength for us all even though she was in pain all the time due to a terrible back, knees and ankles. After she was diagnosed with cancer she dies less than 3 months later. Hugs to you through this journey. It will last the rest of your life. As far as your family doing an intervention about your weight. I agree about your stress level making your physical appearance not looking up to its best. Are you wearing clothes that fit your ever changing body?

Donna, welcome. You sound like such a giving person

Joyce, Indiana
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    It looks like a lot of people had a work free monday:drinker:

About the water retention Monika and DeeDee

I may not drink enough. When I bike I drink several liters of water. But in the A/C home I forget about it..

I eat no salt, I use mostly spices, which may also be wrong. I also eat practically no processed food.

I grow dandelions in my yard, but in summer I very rarely drink tea, while in winter I drink gallons of it.

I read today on one of the threads here that you should add cranberry juice to your water, which may not be a bad idea, because I like my water a little bit flavored when I bike.

I do not know if I retain water anywhere else, I just know that after a long bike ride I weigh about three pounds less in spite of the fact that I drink so much water. My legs look like elephant legs, I have no ankles at all.

About the biking

DeeDee
    I biked all my life, but never to the extent I do now. I only bought a road bike recently and just simply love it. I really regret that I did not start earlier because at my age it is difficult to get strong enough to participate in competitions. A few years back we had the world championship for Ironman here. I looked at the bodies of these athletes and thought to myself, that is how I want to look too.
    They have participants of all ages. I love biking and swimming and hate running. Always did. Even in High School. My goal at the moment is to get down to my optimal biking weight and then I may start running too. As long as there are still pockets of fat on me, I will not run.

Meg

There is a group of men my age I run into nearly every morning on recumbent bikes. I never liked this kind of bike in the gym and I would be scared to ride it on the road because you are so low, but I am sure it is not so hard on your butt. They seem to have a lot of fun and all look very fit. Sometimes I ride along with them for a while, but the road bike is faster and I move on.

Carol .

Joining a bike group might be a good idea for you at your stage in your life. You never know when the house will sell. I had houses which sold on the first weekend and houses which were on the market for months and months without anybody showing any interest.

You hit the nail on the head with your remark that the problem is not only your behind but our lady parts. Especially on a road bike, due to the position. And this is what I am thinking about l. They make these pads so that they cover everything and after riding a while the pad bunches up under you and it really hurts your lady parts. The pad should only cover the sitting bones. I have a Selle Italia which has a big cut out, but what is the cut out good for if it is filled by a huge pad?:cry:

Maybe this group can invent a new bike short and we will all get rich. it is a big problem, men complain too.

Anne:heart:
  • Akinom523
    Options
    Carol, I have some girlfriends that specialize in "staging" houses. They come to the house you want to sell, and they tell you exactly how to move furniture, plants or whatever to make it as appealing as possible, even what kind of scent should linger in the kitchen. I am sure you can find someone like that where you are too, and if you have a realtor, they probably have somebody. Houston is a very fast moving housing market and you have to really make your house look nice around here - but then they tear it from your hands and pay what you ask.

Anne - I don't bike because my "lady parts" can't handle those seats. I think I could lower my butt in a cloud of cotton on the seat - and still be hurting!
    And regarding the strengths or the body, check out http://ernestineshepherd.net/ - this lady is my inspiration! I think she is 77 now. I want to be like her when (and if) I grow up.
    Maybe you need to start carrying a water bottle around the house, I do....and add a nice amount of steps looking for it every day, I misplace more stuff than I can put away. And sadly there is nobody else in the house to blame, hehe

DeeDee, thank you, hugs your way!

Monika
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I got up at 2:30 this morning to allow myself enough time for long walks for both dogs. We left the house at 5:30 to be sure that nothing (bridge, ferry, traffic, etc.) would make us late for Jake’s appointment. We caught an earlier ferry than we expected and got to the doctor's office extremely early expecting to sit in the waiting room and entertain ourselves with the our phones and reading material. Instead they took Jake early and we got out earlier than we expected and were at the wonderful Asian restaurant at 11:00 and home by 2:30. The test was one where they injected Jake with radioactive stuff and had him walk on the treadmill....they took pictures of his heart---before, during, and after the treadmill walk. I don't know when he'll get the results. The streets are very steep uphill from the ferry dock in Seattle so we took a cab from the ferry to the doctor, but then we could walk back.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington

:bigsmile: 22,000 steps today ----220 squats (day 25 of the challenge)----2 minute plank

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

94392c9yzje9jch.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did about 25 minutes of yoga then held my plank for 2 min 30 sec, off to take the extremepump class. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a spinning downloadable workout.

Anne - when Vince was first diagnosed with WPW, his heartrate was -- get this one -- 300+ (the machine couldn't go any higher). Right now he's taking rhythmol and atenolol so that when he does go into tachacardia, it isn't as bad. It WILL happen again, unfortunately. The other thing would be an ablation which would put a cut in the electrical pathway, but that didn't work the first time he tried so we have no reason to suspect that it'll work the second time around. It's just scary, especially this time since this is the longest it's ever gone on. I wear a heartrate monitor, too, when I'm taking a spinning class. I just find it is so easy for my heartrate to get too high. I am on facebook, but I don't do much on it. I mainly try to keep in touch with the kids and sometimes I post pics or videos there, but not much else. Speaking of heartrate, it was interesting (even tho I already knew this) to see how his heartrate went up when he was sitting versus when he was laying down and when he was standing.

Gloria - I was just about to ask you when Aaron started school! Have a good week. As far as getting too skinny, what does your doctor say? If you tell them that the doctor says that you aren't too skinny, that should quiet them down. They're probably not used to seeing you looking so good

yanniejannie - thanks so much for your concern. Yes, I'm feeling better today about Bryan. You can mark my words, I'll probably get melancholy again around the holiday time.

Lahdidahdah - welcome. You're more than welcome to come here all the time -- we love having you

Tomorrow we're going to be going to Lexington, VA to meet up with Jess and do a "cat exchange". See, she and Kris are going to Maine for a wedding, so we're going to watch her cats while she's gone. I have these squash cookies for her to take and some of these double chocolate cookies. Cookies can easily be molded to fit in the suitcase because they're going to fly up. I'm also going to give her and Kris a piece of the double chocolate bread pudding for them to try.

kayzoola - I'm so so sorry to read about your mom. Take care of yourself

Donna - welcome and happy birthday to your daughter. You sound like you have such a wonderful attitude.

Anne - I find that especially in the summer my ankles swell. What helps? Well, I wear a compression stocking to bed and I've noticed that when I have my feet up for a time (like in a recliner watching TV), my ankles aren't as swelled. I'm trying to limit my sodium, but I'm not totally convinced that that has much of an impact. But I can tell you that the compression stocking does.

Carol in NC - I remember hearing ads on the radio for companies who will list your house and if it doesn't sell within a certain period of time, they will buy the house. My guess is that they'd price the house so low so that it would sell, but that's only a guess.

Meg - as I anticipated, the mushrooms were watery, probably because they were frozen first. Actually, it had pretty good flavor, but I think it would probably be better if the mushrooms were fresh. Sometimes I worry that Denise won't have a decent future, I'm sure she won't go for her Bachelor's degree (which we are willing to pay for in full). What will happen in 20 years if she were to get sick and doesn't have any benefits? She just can't seem to conceive of the concept of sacrificing today for the good for tomorrow.

DeeDee - which fair do you go to? I sure hope we're not in for a bad winter. Do you know what "ttfn" stands for?

Monika - you're a hoot telling us about losing things!!!!

Went to play mahjongg tonight. The other day I noticed that the bumper in the front of my car wasn't flush with the quarter panel. Vince looked at it and it appears that my constantly bottoming out in the gal who has the mahjongg's driveway apparently broke the clips that hold it in place. So I'm going to get it fixed but I won't be parking in her driveway any more.

Michele in NC
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Michele

Thanks so much . I immediately put my compression stockings on. I completely forgot about them. I wear them every day in winter, but in summer it never occurred to me. You would think with all the Yoga we are doing, swollen ankles should not happen. That reminds me I will look up in my Yoga bible what they recommend for swollen ankles.

I always get so frustrated when I hear about a medical condition they cannot cure . You would think that nowadays we should be advanced enough to correct nearly everything. Sometimes it also seems to be a question of luck to find the right physician.
    I did not know that you can survive such a high heart rate.

Anne