WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in. Had a bit of an upset this afternoon at work. Seems someone called my supervisor to complain about two things that were already resolved and one thing that wasn't. She didn't even bother talking to me first which REALLY irritates me. The problem that wasn't resolved wasn't even a problem--she didn't know how to read a report and accused me of having a report that wasn't in balance. I am so sick of the attitudes at that place! The staff is great but a lot of the members have superiority complexes. I want to get moved so that I can seriously job hunt. I'm sure that didn't make much sense because I am so tired.

For those who asked, my house is listed with a real estate agent. The market here is still very slow

I'm off to bed now. I'll try to respond more fully tomorrow.

Carol in beautiful NC
  • Akinom523
    Options
    Ok, confession time:
    I was reading posts during the day, wrote down in a notebook - and left it at work.
    I will post tomorrow.

Have a great evening all!

Monika
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi my lovely friends. I read all the posts but am absolutely exhausted so I'm going to bed with just a couple of comments.
    Sorry I cant' remember names right now.....but.....

A new fur baby! Can't wait to see his baby pictures!

my bike is not only a recumbent, it has three wheels, so at 55 I'm riding a tricycle. I have no balance and fall off regular bikes. I figure I can ride this one until I'm 100.

Heritage makers....thanks I'll look them up!

OK take care Meg who is falling asleep right now
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention yesterday that I bowled for the first time at the other bowling lane. I like it much better. For one thing, there are only 3 people on the league and it goes so much faster. I was out by 2:30 I was able to stop at two stores, come home and Vince grilled pork chops for us to have later in the week. The equipment at this bowling alley is much better, too. And since things go quicker, there is less temptation for people to go wandering off, they tend to stay near their lanes which is good, they're ready to bowl when it's their turn.

Anne - when Vince was first diagnosed with WPW, by the time the paramedics could get him all hooked up to the EKG, he had converted. My guess is that you can survive that high a heart rate as long as it isn't that high for an extended period of time. Question: when you werar your monitor when biking, how high does your heartrate get? I was thinking of you while I was doing the spinning today.

kayzoola - that is just horrible that someone is stealing your dad's identity!

Stephanie from NC - of course you can post here! Where in NC are you? We seem to have quite a few North Carolineans here.

yanniejannie - thanks for your understanding about how I'm "mourning" Bryan. I just don't understand, he refused to even let us talk to Diana, now I really wish I hadn't told him that I was busy and didn't get to sent his card, I sent it now I've been asking him if he received it and approximately when. I guess I just have to keep the happy memories in my heart.

Diane - that's wonderful that you were able to return the phone! Our condo is in Titusville -- across the river from the Cape. It's so nice to get away when we go down there. We usually go down for the Daytona 500 every February.

Cindy in OK - can't wait to see a pic!

Ruth - welcome!

Did an hour of spinning today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do Denise Austin's Boot Camp DVD since we have a Newcomer board meeting.

We are going to change the day of the Newcomer bowling from Wednesday nights to Thursday nights. It really was somewhat of a problem last year and the year before when we'd have the senior bowling in the afternoon and then Newcomer bowling in the evening. There is one couple who said they can't come on Thursday, but they didn't come a whole lot last year anyway. I'm thinking more about the people who are on the senior league.

Well, we drove up to Lexington to meet Jess and get her cats. We had lunch at this place "country Cookin". If they ever go out of business, I don't know what we're going to do....lol There is an organic store near there and Jess was stuck in traffic so I took a walk over there just to check them out. I needed wheat bran and their price was the same as what I pay up here so I got some. Just had a chicken breast (grilled) and sweet potato for lunch along with a salad (no dressing) consisting of small amounts of cottage cheese, tomatoes, onions, peas, raw mushrooms, carrots. Just had water to drink but I admit that I did have 1/2 a brownie for dessert and a mouthful of this oatmeal raisin cookie.

Kim - congrats on getting a FitBit

Lesley - I love when you mention the titles of the DVD's that you do. I just added the bikini boot camp one to my wish list.

Did an hour of a spinning downloadable workout today. Tomorrow we have a Newcomer board meeting so I'm planning to do Denise Austin's Boot Camp DVD

Better get ready for bed. I'll probably sleep with Lance and Shadow. Mainly so that they get used to me and I can give Lance his insulin. I'm not even going to try for the next few days, let him get used to me first.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, you are a great mom to care for your daughter’s cat. When I was in my 20’s and 30’s and traveling a lot, my parents kept my cats for me while I was gone. One of my cats liked my mom’s house so much that I ended up giving him to my mom.

:flowerforyou: Carol, when we sold our house three years ago, the market was very slow and even when it was shown, the people had complaints about things that were beyond our control. We just showed up every day and trusted god, kept the house clean, and got so busy on some needed sorting projects that when the right buyer appeared we were almost disappointed because we didn’t have time to finish the projects. The buyer was looking for the exact house (location and floor plan) and the sale happened quickly. It only takes one buyer……there is no real correlation between how many people look at your house and how soon you sell it……do not be discouraged.

:bigsmile: Cindy, congrats on your new fur baby.

:bigsmile: Kim, congrats on reaching a new level of technology expertise..

:flowerforyou: Today I caught up on all sorts of paperwork and chores around the house. We took Bernie to the vet to get his nails clipped---since he’s been an indoor cat, his claws grow too long and he scratches us without meaning to. While we were there a woman came in with a cat that she’d seen under a bush in her yard for a few days. They checked for a microchip and found the owners….the cat had been missing for months.

:bigsmile: Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington

:bigsmile: 18,000 steps today ----225 squats (day 26 of the challenge)----90 minutes of work in the yard

“The secret of contentment is knowing how to enjoy what you have, and to be able to lose all desire for things beyond your reach."
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    hi gals,
    ok I am like a kid with a new toy:tongue: .... so those of you with fitbits, have you linked them to MFP? are you using them to "earn" $$$ via achievemint.com or fitstudio.com..... is it working? or is there any where else you would recommend? a good deal or just big brother? I am always looking to save some cash - Mom says I have champagne taste on a beer budget - but sometimes I can figure out how to have champagne!!! (of course now I have to budget both cash and calories!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ) it is sitting here charging and I don't want to walk much so am researching my new toy....

giggle!
    Kim in N. California
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    So everybody is tired on Tuesday.

I had a strange day I have not even logged my food because I cannot remember what I ate. But I finally got a haircut, not quite sure yet if I like it.

I must have given a little bit of a wrong impression about the pain of biking. I am completely comfortable on my bike for about four hours, that is about a 50 mile ride for me. Only if I ride longer than that it becomes problematic. Four hours is what I usually do this time of year. When it gets cooler, I would like to go on longer rides like 100 miles and this is why I am now on a quest to find the right bike short and/or saddle to ride a few centuries..

Obviously a saddle is a very personal thing and the saddle which might be alright for one person is a torture instrument for the next. Saddles for road bikes are very expensive ( like 250 dollars) and some bike shops let you try out a saddle before you buy it When I was not so experienced I thought that trying out a saddle for one or two hours would be fine, not realizing that the problems for me would start after four or five hours on the bike.
    I resisted the bike shorts for a long time thinking that I would not need them. Then I asked some female bikers what to buy , but once again it is a personal thing. And you cannot rely on the advice of somebody else.

It turns out to be quite an expensive sport. When you bike as much as I do, you end up buying better and better equipment to be more comfortable.

Michele

My heart rate goes up over 140 when I push it. I forgot if that is good or bad, I have to go on that website again, which tells me what normal heart rates are for people my age.

I also have to sleep with the belt to find out my resting heart rate. The only problem is that I do not sleep very well, so I really never come out of a good sleep.
    And I found plenty of Yoga poses for swollen ankles, they are of course all inversions.

Sylvia

I got a kick out of your acting grand kids. It reminds me of the time when
    I was trying to get out of school.

Kim

I love Chile Relleno. I have a wonderful recipe out of a Southwest Cookbook where you stuff the Chile with Goat cheese, dried tomatoes, garlic etc. and then I bake the whole thing in the oven instead of deep frying it. It is delicious and not so bad calorywise.

What do you do when a child throws a temper tantrum? Ignore it.

Stephanie

Welcome. Sounds like you have some hormonal problems. Better have it checked. When I went through menopause I was miserable and moody and put on weight , the whole thing.

YannieJannie

Your bike sounds like one I could not survive five miles on.:flowerforyou:

Maybe you should write some letters to the editor in defense of the lady.

People like nothing better than to trample on somebody who is already down.

Diane

Thanks so much for the tips and the explanation. I do not think I need that particular gadget.
    I have an excellent saddle and I have been fitted on the bike, so that is not the problem. See what I wrote above.
    I am going to check out the acronyms but I doubt that I will remember them. I am lucky if I remember the names of my neighbors.

Must be something in the atmosphere , I am tired too

Anne
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    anne, can I have your recipe for chili rellanos? I love goat cheese!!!

smiles Kim
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, just a quick note. I'm very busy "in my head" with my beloved dog, who has improved some but still isn't "right". The chiropractor got sick, so the appointment on Sunday fell through. We're going to the orthopedic guy later this morning.
    Add to that all kinds of stress (job uncertainty, some fixing-up type remodeling in the house, impending knee replacement [no, don't have a date yet, but it needs to be done] and a couple other things, plus having trouble getting back on track after vacation)...not doing as well as I'd like to be at the moment. Support welcome! :smile:

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

P.S. Skimmed the last couple days; I see there have been health issues (now better, I hope) and fun things (new pet, playing with grandchildren).
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kim, I have never heard of those websites. Tell me a little more about them. Do they connect with fitbit? I need some motivation right now.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!:flowerforyou:

Home again and relaxing in bed. Got to get up in a minute because my friend is coming over for a yoga session.
    Every time I look after my grandchildren I am so grateful that I am fitter. An afternoon of rolling around on the floor and shuffling around on my bottom would have been agony 2 years ago. Following a crawling baby about is surprisingly exhausting! :laugh: She is also pulling herself up so you have to be behind her with outstretched hands ready for the tumble.:love: Oh, but she is adorable! The smiliest, happiest baby ever!:love: DH and DGS spent the whole afternoon "role playing" friendship - his latest obsession. DH was Woody and DGS had a Buzz Lightyear toy. Hours of psychological fun and traumas. He was fascinated by what it means to be lonely and have no friends. And how you can hurt your friends. :love:

DDIL interviewed a potential new nanny while we were there and gave her the job. 3 days a week. DDIL is writing a new psychology book, which is her own idea and system. It was inspired by many of her patients who find no "meaning" in their lives. It sounds very interesting and I will be intrigued to see how it comes out. DS was meant to cook for us, but I was too hungry to wait for the meal he had planned,:embarassed: , so he got kebab on the way home. I stayed within calories for the day, but my sodium has put me up a pound. :grumble:

Finally got home around 11 pm. I miss DGD already this morning.:heart: Next week they are staying with us and I hope she will be OK as she is quite a mummy's girl. DGS adores his dad and plays at going to work in the brewery to make lots of barrels of beer.:laugh:

Will do some more typing today. Fish chowder for dinner.

I will take more notes today as I know I have been remiss at not commenting. I read it all. Welcome to all the new ladies!:flowerforyou: Weight loss is not a linear thing. It's over the 'very' long term that counts.

Heather, happily tired and achy, in Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I bounced out of bed at 2;45 this morning..
    got 14,000 steps in yesterday.. but up a few lbs, who knows? I wont worry about it..
    I made this neat bean concoction ,took a can of black beans, and navy beans(rinsed) mixed that with chopped up multi colored peppers, some diced carrot and a cup of minute rice medley,brown rice, qunioa and another grain, had a big bowl of that for lunch yesterday and will have it again today...
    DH is a little miffed at me,because I brought up giving my daughter some money for a downpayment on a car..
    Bless his heart I understand how hard it is to work with a budget and he does a spectacular job,
    we are like most people ,one foot on the banana peel.. we have 2 homes,one payed for ,one not, the one that is payed for in Florida ,the only way we are able to hold onto that ,is because of our renter.. hopefully she stays until the DH retires
    I only work 30 hrs a week, they cut my hrs a year and a half ago..but I try and pick up the slack here.. my DH is working 52 hrs a week..I feel bad at 62 he has to do that...
    the medical field doesnt give you many benefits, I get no pension, no insurance, I get 2 weeks paid vacation and 3 personal days.. and they write off what insurance doesnt cover for our dental work.
    I shouldnt complain,I am blessed to have my health,and my families health..
    just wish I could figure out a way to get a little more income in..
    havent heard from the other dentist office, probably my pay scale was to high for them.. I will not compromise at my age...
    well I wills stop my yapping for now.. and go make the DH dinner.. and get laundry out of the dryer,make the beds and go for a walk
  • scparke2
    scparke2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    WoW, thank you for the nice welcome. I think it may have something to do with menopause. I have my yearly appointment Oct 3rd. Yesterday when I went to the gym, had a meltdown. I usually run for 3 miles yesterday my body hurt so much I couldn't do it. I haven't updated my MFP profile because I was too depressed to add a gain every week. I go to Weight Watchers tonight and I promise myself no matter what I will post my gain/lost.

I had a good talk with my husband last night and he's going to try to give me more support by not "let's go out to eat", "let's go get some ice cream", etc. I felt better after that.

I live in Johnston County but work in work for all the North Carolina members. Thank you again everyone.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Denise Austin Boot Camp DVD. Tomorrow the plan is to do Bob Harper's Inside Out DVD.

All my Canadian friends: what do you think of Burger King buying out Tim Horton?

barbie - I highly doubt that Jessica will wind up giving her cats to us. Shadow does not like other cats and always stays in the back bedroom. She's a wonderful cat -- but only with Lance. Which can be a sad since we have 4 cats. Oh well. Lance does not like getting his insulin, he needs to get used to me before I can attempt to give it to him. Jessica has a way with animals. I can't explain it. I remember years ago my aunt had a feral cat that she'd been feeding for years. It never once came to her. We were there one day (this is the first time Jessica had been there), and the cat came to Jessica!

Carol - when this house was on the market, the owners didn't think it would sell as quickly as it did. It was almost exactly what we were looking for! As a matter of fact, after the closing we had to rent the house to the previous owner because he wasn't ready to move yet. Barbie's right -- trust God and it will work out

barbie - Vince clips our cat's nails. We do it on the deck only because this way the nail clippings are outside and that's less that I have to clean up....lol That's great that they found the owner of that cat! All our cats are microchipped and so has every one that we've ever had

Cynthia - certainly hope tomorrow is better, even tonight

Kim - I added myfitnesspal at fitstudio. Don't know what it does, tho. At first appearance it looks like you can purchase things, but I'm not even sure of that. I figured I'd add MFP and what happens, happens. Let me know what you find out. I am always looking to save money, too.

We have a Newcomer board meeting to go to today. Vince and I are on the agenda to discuss the fact that we aren't getting enough money for the coffee they provide. I'm sure what'll happen is that we'll make a guarantee payment to them. The difference between what we collect will be taken out of the Hospitality budget, which I don't have a problem with at all. Then we're going to talk to the lady at this place about renting it for a social. In the past we've always had a gala. Well, I think it's past its prime -- way past. I know one lady thinks it's the most fantastic thing on the face of the earth since you get to get dressed up. But the number of people attending has slowly been declining. So this year Vince and I are looking at having a magic show. We just need to talk to the place then we'll propose it to the Board (who I think will go for it). Afterwards, I want to go to Aldi since we'll be up that way. We also need to stop at the bowling alley, Vince'll discuss Newcomer bowling being on a different day and I'll see a lady who bought an item that I need and can only get at the one store near her (which just closed)

I'm going to post this since there seems to be some sort of problem with the program that I use to make notes. For some reason, everything is coming out in caps, and I don't have "caps lock" on. I even tried rebooting, that didn't work. So now I am typing in another sheet and just copying and pasting. We shall see what happens.

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    Good Morning... up early today as son was up sick with more rebound migraine... sigh. It seemed like he was doing well Sunday afternoon ...he was good Monday and then yesterday was a disaster. Had another IV infusion that seemed to help by evening and then this morning worse than ever.

He's due for Botox tomorrow... I was hopeful that diet changes were making a difference but now I have to concede most of his improvement over the summer was the Botox. So very frustrating. And I'm loathe to just have him eat willy-nilly again.

When I called off work for him yesterday I got an earful from his boss. I understand the man's frustration. My husband called in today for him and wants to talk to the owner later. They seem to have an expectation that my son will work every waking hour for them after school and on weekends ... and that just can't happen. Shoot ... I'm not even sure he's going to make it to school the way things look right now.

My sons and their health problems consume me ... this needs to stop ... because my conversation is becoming quite tedious. Sorry.

Kayzoola ... so sorry about your mom's failing health and now problems with dad.

Margaret.... I used to buy son a lot of deli junk like bologna ... but by deli style roast beef I was referring to beef that is cooked medium rare and sliced paper thin ... in the deli they offer two kinds ... a highly processed one and then natural or organic (mega dollars). It just makes sense to me now to cook meat and slice it up .... but I miss the convenience.

Cindy ... a new pup! How exciting!

Anne ... so impressed with all the biking you do ... we have a friend who rides continuously ... even during Buffalo's snow storms. He has a garage full of equipment and I have heard him talk about seats and saddles. As for swelling in your ankles ... I've heard eating watermelon helps! And of course elevation and compression stockings always help.

Sylvia ... laughed out loud about your grandchildren! but sorry one was really sick ...

Today I'm just going to try and stay within my calorie allowance ... and drink water.
    Beth in Western New York
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Kim, here it comes. it does not only tastes great , it also looks wonderful.

Goat Cheese Rellenos

serves 6

Chilies

12 Anaheim or poblano chilies
    2 garlic cloves
    1/2 pound mild crumbled goat cheese
    1/3 pound Monterey jack cheese, greated
    2 tablespoons chopped shallots
    2 pieces oilpacked sundried tomatoes, ninced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basel
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh majoran
    2 thyme springs or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    salt and pepper to taaste
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons heavy cream
    Blue cornmeal for dredging (yellow can be substituted)
    Oil for deep frying ( this is the original recipe, I bake it in the oven)

Salsa
    2 shallots, finely minced
    1/4 cup champagne vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and ffinely chopped
    1 jalapeno or serrano chili seede acn chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cillantro
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoran

salt and pepper to taste

Garnish

3 ripe avocadoes
    6 salad savory (purple kale) or radicchio eaves

To prepare the chilies, roast and peel them. Carefully slice them down one side and remove the seeds, leaving the stem attached. Set aside.

Blanch the garlic in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove teh garlic and chop finely.

In a bowl, combine the garlic with the crumbled goat cheese, Montery jack, shallots, sund dried tomatoes, cilantro, basil, marjoran, and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and shape into 12 rolls about the size of the chilies.
    Gently insert teh cheese rolls into the chilies, being careful not to overfill.
    Close the chilies, securing with toothpicks, and refrigerate until needed.

Beat the eggs into the cream and coat the filled chilies with the mixture. Dredge the chilies in the blue cornmeal.

Then I lay them in an oiled dish and bake them in the oven until brown, but the original recipe says

Heat the oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan until, hot, 375 degree. Fry the chilies until they are light brown. Remove them and drain on paper towel. Remove the tooth picks.

To make the salsa , whisk the shallots in the vinegar. Add the oil slowly, continuing to shisk, tehn stir in the remaining ingredients.

To serve, peel and halve the avocados. Cut each half into a fan and set on one side of each serving plate. Place 2 chilies in teh center and spoon teh salsa into a lettuce "cup" on teh other side of the plate. Serve immediatelu.

Note: The chilies can be rosted and stuffed up to 2 days in advance and kept covered with plastic wrap in teh refrigerator. Teh salsa can be made up to 6 hours in advance.

Enjoy. I love it.

Anne in the Mojave desert.

i
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SueColumbia
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I signed up for this board some time ago and just did not participate. I am sorry for that. The postings that others have made are really motivational as I like to see that people are out there and moving. I took a first step today and went to the gym for the first time in 4 months. I've been traveling (Italy and Scotland for two months) and intermittent babysitting for DD's two wonderful boys. I had a great time and love to watch the kids learn and grow.

I was good on my diet plan until last week. Somehow, I completely lost it and overdid it with cake and ice cream, which I haven't eaten in months. I stopped logging my food so perhaps I wasn't as out of control as I thought. At least the damage was minimal, I gained 8 ounces. Heck, I can do that overnight without falling down and binging.

Anyway, I have no travel plans in the short term and hope to be able to lose another 8 by the end of October. What do you think? Is it doable?
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Kim (and Joyce and Michele) - I have my Fitbit synced with MFP. I also have it synced with FitStudio and absolutely LOVE walking into Kmart and walking back out with my items without ever having to pull out my wallet! I've been trying to get basics there such as toilet paper, paper towels, cat food, detergent, etc. so as to save my cash for things I can't get at Kmart. I have used the points at Sears, too, but rarely shop there. I just read that Walgreens has a similar program. I don't shop there, but I'm sure I could start! :tongue: I'm all about saving my money and, since I walk a lot (as far as FitStudio is concerned) I earn lots of points! For those of you who might not have a Sears or Kmart nearby (Barbie?), you can order many things from the websites.

Speaking of websites and saving money...For those of you who are familiar with Dollar General, did you know that you can order many things online from them? I discovered it by accident at work and use their sale items combined with the $5 off coupons they send me to get basic things shipped directly to my door. Their minimum for free shipping is $35.

I decided last night that I truly have a sinus infection. I always fight it so hard that I have a hard time admitting to myself that I actually have one. I tend to play ostrich when it comes to them, but I gave in and called the doctor this morning who is calling in an antibiotic for m. My daughter is sick with some sort of respiratory thing, too, but she has a fever of 102. And, yes, after much prodding from me, she has a doctor appointment this afternoon! She just texted that she feels so bad that she wants her mommy. But, she also forbade me to come by because she doesn't want me to get sick.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement about my house. The realtor is holding an open house on September 6 so I hope that will bring out someone who really needs my house to call their home. When we sold our last house, we had an open house in September and the buyer came from the open house. Hoping the same strategy and "luck" will hold true this time. All will happen when it is time, but I never claimed that patience was one of my virtues! :laugh:

Today is the schedule for day 3 of 30-day Shred. I do hope this sinus issue won't make me feel too bad to get it done. I did a yoga/pilates DVD last night that was pretty good. I can't remember the lady's name, but she is very soothing and the moves she does are not so advanced that I can't keep up. Well, except when she started doing push ups! I know my upper body strength is not what it could be, but I also think that my shoulder joints are never going to allow me to do a lot of push up type moves. I can hold a plank fairly well, but the motion to do a push up really hurts my shoulders. There are two 20-minute workouts on the DVD so I am going to plan to do the second one on Thursday.

Does anyone have a really good recipe for black bean burgers that doesn't call for lots of weird ingredients? I made some very basic ones on Monday and had one for dinner last night. It was pretty good and I look forward to eating the rest of them, but I am searching for a recipe that will taste more like the one I have at a local restaurant.

Beth - I'm sorry your son is suffering again. Our children's health problems are hard to cope with at times. My son's employer was not too bad about being upset when he called in sick. It's my employer that developed a problem with it! His doctors' appointments seemed to cluster together, but when one is seeing 3-4 specialists in different cities, it takes time, and since I am the only parent, it is up to me to take him. I realize it's not optimal, but all of my work got done and I used my vacation time to cover the time.

I called UNC-Charlotte's dietician yesterday and she was great! She is going to get Andrew to take her on a tour of the dining hall and show her what changes need to be done to make eating gluten-free more feasible. As I talked to her, she said that it sounded like a few simple changes by staff (along with some more education) should open up a lot of choices for him. That conversation could have been a "fight" but her attitude and willingness to look into everything made it very pleasurable instead.

Cindy - Congrats on the new puppy!

Sylvia - Stay out of the heat!!! Cute story about your grandkids, although I'm sorry the little one was so sick.

I suppose I need to get work done. I know I left out a lot of folks, but I really do read and think about you in your struggles and your successes.

Carol in beautifully cool for August NC
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello Everyone, I just got back from another camping/visiting family trip so havenot been able to keep up to date ,
    taking it from here welcome to all our new ladies , well wishes and prayers to all in need.

Even with all the different foods and surroundings I managed to stay the same weight wise so I'm happy there guess all the
    hiking with the grandkids payed off they sure don't sit still for long!

Michele on the Tim Hortons and Burger King thing we have 25 Tim Hortons in our area and 1 Burger King
    I think most of the average Canadians feel as long as they get there Timmies everyday does not matter who's name is on the ownership papers lol

Wishing everyone a great day

Juanita in Sudbury