WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2014

Options

Replies

• JennInTx
    JennInTx Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All.
    It’s been a very busy morning at the office. Started off with our pool pump going out. Not a good thing when you are having guests over for the Labor Day weekend. But managed to get that taken care of this morning. Lots of projects going on at the office today. I enjoy staying very busy. Keeps my mind off of other things.

Wanted to take a moment to let you all know how much I enjoy all your posts and to thank you for letting me join in. Although I don’t know how much I will be able to post, I will try to pop on daily. It’s nice to get to know each of you and to realize that no matter where someone may be, the challenges are still the same.

Welcome to all the newbies. I hope you find this group as delightful and encouraging as I do.

Yesterday was a good food day. I stayed on track with my calories. Water was another issue. Only managed to get in 6 glasses of water (I’m not counting the cup of coffee I had in the morning). I need to do better with taking a full glass of water with me to meetings. Last night I felt especially hungry for vegies, so I cooked spinach, green beans and cauliflower to go with my roasted chicken. Made so much that I have leftovers for lunch today and probably enough for myself and hubby tonight.
    Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

JennInTX (DFW area)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Joyce – the black 3 ring notebook should be easy to find, and maybe part of a back to school sale…:happy:

Alison – I am so lucky to not have insomnia – I read your posts and feel so sorry for you. :yawn:

Patty – so excited for you with all the changes, new jobs, vacation and completing so many mini-goals!!! Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat – and others who commented; I suspect that the friend who walked out on gourmet does have some other issue we don’t know about; but now she is refusing to talk to any of us – it is a group of just 4 so this is a huge blow;:cry: and we have been together and through a lot (1 death of a child, breast cancer for one, eye cancer for another…) so it is not like this is not a close group.. if it was a larger looser group it would not hurt so much. :frown:

The burgers sound great… I am saving that recipe! :happy:

Cappuccino and 2bopeep – welcome

Looking into the walgreens fitbit connection and it does appear that there is a way to link them and get some credit; but I must have had an account in a past life, so am having to reset user name, password etc.... Although it looks like it has some of the same limits that the fitstudio has with smaller amounts and limited use time... However as Carol (I think) said, I'll be using those mini savings to off set stuff that fits that and then save up the cash I would have spent there for a bigger thing else where; or maybe just to have a little more give in my budget.

For our non-stateside friends - the fitstudio looks like you would have to sign up as a friend or relation that lives in the usa; but the achievemint.com seems to be open to all.... and the walgreens only works if there is a walgreens conveniently located.

yesterday was book club and we read a sweet book called 84 Charing Cross Rd. it was set between NYC and London in 1950-60 there is a movie also which we rented and saw... Not a block buster; but a good short read and a sweet movie, a bit a love story, a bit a friendship over distance (like ours!) and a bit of serendipity! I would recommend it.

August goals :
    Stretch 5 minutes a day xxxx
    Walk 45 minutes a day 26 times
    Do Heather’s abc balance 1 time a week 3 weeks done

Kim from N. California
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Beautiful Ladies :flowerforyou: !

I must confess, I have been slacking in coming to post. I'm afraid I've over extended myself in trying to find ways to loose weight, but in a healthy way. I think I've been eating alright. I have to be on a 1500 calorie/22 grams carbs a day "diet", per my doctor. This has been very hard for me, since I seem to be going way off on my carbs. I'm all about quick and easy, but can't seem to find any menus that fit that style. :frown: Therefore, I have been doing alot of searching on the "net" to find menus that can suit my needs. I don't want to buy a whole lot of different items.....I know there is no EASY way out, but guess that's what I'm looking for anyway. :ohwell:

On the brigtht side, TODAY WILL BE MY FIRST DAY AT THE WOMAN'S HEALTH CLUB. YAY! I am looking forward to meeting with my trainer and see what type of program she has put me on!! I do know I will be doing some water aerobics, since I have arthritus in my foot. Maybe I'll learn how to swim while I'm at it! :laugh: Will let you all know how it goes! :wink:

I will do my best to log in more often. I will get to know each of you by name and lifestyle!!! Until then, I wish you all a womderful day and say "Good Job". You're doing great! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers in whatever battles you may be fighting! Take care!

Love ya all,
    Pam In LA.

"FAITH doesnt'make things easy, it makes them possible"
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I'm just popping back in to post today's joke of the day:

:happy:

A pick pocket was pronounced guilty and sentenced to 8 months jail term with an option of $200 fine by the judge. His defense lawyer knowing that his client could not pay the fine, pleaded with the judge asking; “Your honor, my client can only afford $50, but if you allow him a few minutes in the crowd …

:laugh:
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling more chipper today. Thank goodness. DGD and I started off the day with eggs scrambled in a skosh of butter with chopped cooked zucchini and an ounce or so of cooked and crumbled ground beef. Delish. We added some green Tabasco on top to make it even more delish. The strawberries and blueberries on the side were equally good. Yum. No wonder I'm feeling good!

I'm intrigued by Dr. Terry Wahls approach to food. I've looked at her YouTube video (Minding Your Mitochondria) and checked out the "Look Inside" option for her latest book on Amazon. You can read quite a bit of the book there. The science seems solid. She doesn't seem particularly impressionable. And the results are pretty amazing.

I was interested in what she said about actually getting more nutrients with paleo - at least her version of it. She's very focused on nutrition and seems to care about facts not whims.

I had stopped eating gluten (mostly because of the temptation) and not eating added sugar for 6-8 weeks. It definitely helped with appetite. Eating less was easy. There just wasn't the same urge to eat. Anyway, I decided to add gluten back in a week or so ago. Interesting, my appetite went way up. I also noticed that my joints (which had been totally quiet) started complaining. My mother just rolls her eyes at me. Of course, she doesn't want to give up any of the crappy food she and my dad eat! I'm going to go back off gluten to see if it helps.

One thing she didn't mention was soaking, sprouting and fermenting grains to make the nutrients more available to your body. As just a for-instance, soaking beans then throwing out the soaking water reduces lectins, which makes the beans less gassy :bigsmile: :blushing: :bigsmile: and the nutrients more available. I like that! Using warm water and a longer time (say 18 hours or even 24) appears to be beneficial.

Soaking or sprouting grains has a similar good effect. (I did notice that, for people whose iron levels are too high, they might not want to eliminate all the lectins, phytic acid, etc. that make vitamins and minerals less available.)

Good sourdough (not storebought) is mentioned several times as a way to make bread more digestible. (This fits in the "fermenting" category.)

I'm thinking that using these techniques, rather than completely eliminating foods with phytic acid, lectins, etc. might make sense. I feel more satisfied with a diet that includes some grains and beans. What do you think?

btw, totally unrelated, i read in Consumers Reports this morning that the producers are not required to label milk that comes from cloned cows as such. They recommended choosing organic if you don't want milk from cloned cows. Sheesh. FIrst GMO, now cloned cows (which have probably been around for awhile but I didn't know it). What next?

A little label would be nice.

Mimi
    :heart:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!!!
    Catching up today at home.
    Joyce,Happy anniversary:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome new ladies:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: .
    hugs jane
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    Mimi

Just watched Dr.. Wahl. I agreed with many of her points. I have been monitoring my intake of fruits and vegetables by the fiber i eat everyday. I wish they had one for Omega threes and Iodine. She is not the first doctor I heard about Iodine from, but she reconfirms what I have heard. She didn't talk about fermented foods in the talk she gave. Foods like natural fermented sauerkraut found in the refrigerator section, refrigerated pickles, Kombucha, (fermented tea,) and plain yogurt no sugar. I am collecting some recipes to try my hand at pickling some of veggies. I am trying to incorporate these fermented foods into my diet to increase the good bacteria in my gut. I am doing that to improve my immunity. and lessen my cancer risk. My sister died from cancer at age 59.. I will be 59 in November.. Since improving my diet I have not had a cold and despite having a very stressful last couple of months I have not gotten sick since November. Thanks for introducing me to her.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Hello all you calorie recorders and movers and shakers,

it looks like I reached most of my August goals. The first one was to at least drop securely into the 120s weight wise. Since three days I have not seen 130 at any time of the day. I was hoping for it to be 125 at the end of the month, but that will not happen.

I am only 70 miles away from biking 1000 miles this month. Unless I crash I will reach that goal easily. My original goal was 800 but I reached that already and went on. Now I am concentrating on getting faster. Hopefully September will be a little bit cooler and it will be easier. But the days are also shorter and I have to start later and later in the morning. I love the time when I can get out the door at five in the morning and ride into the sunrise.

After reading about Michele’s husband I checked my heart rate a little bit more attentively. I slept with the heart monitor belt and had an excellent for resting heart rate. I also realized that most of the time I bike at a heart rate which they consider the fat burning heart rate, so I guess that is good for losing weight. But in future I will go more for the cardio and/or training heart rate.

While checking the heart rate I also found out that according to them I would be considered healthy if I weigh 146 or 109 pounds. I personally do not feel healthy at any weight over 120. I feel like I am carrying a heavy rucksack all the time. I dropped down to 110, I think two years ago ,and was surprised to find out that I was not allowed to donate blood anymore. They said that the cut-off was at 110. Well, I guess everybody defines healthy differently.

I also checked out a book from the library about losing weight when you are menopausal. I could not find a book for post menopausal women. I guess we really do not matter anymore. What bothers me with the eating plan they recommend is that nearly every meal contains bread or pasta. And I am pretty sure, that bread and pasta or anything with flour in it makes me addicted and I start eating too much.

I have been eating more like a rabbit and that seems to work for me. I actually forget eating , but I am not worried about it as I only eat fresh and highly nutritious food.
    I hope I will reach my optimal weight soon, so that I can concentrate on more fun things. There are a few charity rides coming up and sculptures waiting to be made.....

Anne, the little old lady on the road bike
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Just popped in again for a few comments

YannieJannie

Well, I do not have any children or grandchildren who are in danger to be shot by the next girl taking an Uzi into the classroom. But I am more and more concerned about the rise in girl gangs I hear about.
    There were at least five stories last month where girls were involved in home invasions where the home owners were tortured or shot and brutal attacks on girls by girls. This is not the feminist world I envisioned.

Kitty

I hope they will enable voting from home. The participation numbers are so low.

About running your health care.
    The US is not exactly the healthiest country. And a lot of people need help in that regard.
    Here is an article about which countries do best. I was happy to see that the Netherlands came out on top. It is a nation on bikes:drinker: .

It starts
    Netherlands named healthiest country in the world
    And the U.S. didn't even make the top 20. The Netherlands came out on top because of low diabetes rates, low food prices and nutritional diversity. Chad landed last on the list for its costly, unhealthy food options.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/healthiest-country-world-article-1.1582013#ixzz3Big5gV2l

Kim

I remember the Charing Cross Movie, never read the book though. I put it on my reading list. Thanks for mentioning it.

Anne
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I am pooped, of course I would be since I have been up since midnight.. and just sat down around 3:huh:
    delivered Laurie her american chop suey and fudge and she is doing great....feeling well, starts chemo in 6-8 weeks , she will find out what stage she has probably tomorrow.. she is thinking stage 2..
    now the groomer who does our dogs also battled stage 2 and won.. this is a pretty small town so everyone is either related or are friends, so Linda (groomer) gave me her cell phone to give to Laurie so that she can talk to someone who has been there.. so at least I got them connected...
    then after I dropped that off, went to give blood. there computer wasnt working so ended up waiting an hour ,but the time I got out of there it was almost 2 hrs, but I do what I can to help...
    came home fed the dogs, fed the DH, and will get in my jammies and park it in bed.. will probably be asleep before 7 :laugh:
    if I dont see you tonight will catch ya on the flip side:bigsmile:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon Ladies

Just stopping by to let you know I figured out how to get our puppy's photos loaded upright. He got his shots today. He is getting his dental tomorrow. He needs at least 2 teeth pulled, poor baby! I think he will feel so much better once this is done. I will be making sure his teeth get brushed as needed. Remember he is 7 and a rescue, you can tell he is a happy boy now.

I found a recipe for a cabbage dish called Grabure. It is served with fish. It calls for a small knob of butter, I made it guessing and using Smart Balance. It was really good. Can any of you tell me what a knob of butter is?

This is a better day for me and I hope all of you as well. But I'm having wine tonight anyway!

Have a nice evening,

Cindy in OK
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

DS quit his job this morning and then had Botox injections at noon. He's feeling relieved on both counts. Boss was a little childish in his response to son quitting, but it ended ok. Botox has left him sore at the injection sites ... such a painful process ... he never even flinches but you can see the color drain from his face and his eyes glaze. Doctor told us that the point of the Botox is to allow him to live his life until he either grows out of the migraines or his body decides to like being pain-free instead of responding to all stimuli with pain.

Thank you to those who have given wonderful suggestions and support! Have I told you all how much I appreciate you? Know that I surely do!

Roasting more beef today and did chicken yesterday. I have way too many males in this house ... most of it is gone already!!

My husband and son are gun owners (I do not own any but am very competent with the use of firearms). And we practice above and beyond gun safety here ... at my husband's insistence. The tragedy with the little girl and her instructor was preventable. So very sad.

Anne ... I had to laugh when you said post-menopausal women don't matter anymore. Reminded me of a an incident my mother had with her former gynecologist. She was 75 at the time (now 82) and was at the doctors for her yearly. The doctor asked why my mother still came in for a pap-smear ... she could stop ... and my mother (who always had abnormal results that needed repeat testing) responded with "I'll stop when I'm ready to have cancer!!" She still has a yearly.

I'm trying to reign in my stress eating ... and I really need to get back to the gym and regular exercise! I'm making a point of wearing pants that are a little tighter with the hope they'll remind me not to go hog wild!

Have a great afternoon/evening.
    Beth in WNY (It was 55 degrees this morning, the leaves are turning color, Fall is on its way)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. This will be short. I'm really tired and going to bed early. We got ANOTHER 3.5 inches of rain last night. I think we will dry out then there will be storms on Sunday.

Kim: COPS is a reality show where you watch police go out on calls. A sound man and camera man (or women) go with them, wearing bullet proof vests and go right into the action with them. They film in different cities for several weeks and have the cops talk to the cameras during the "down" time about why they became cops, what they like best, etc . DH and I have always enjoyed it.

Can't believe the 9 year old using an Uzi....what gun range would allow that!!!!!!!! What parent would either for that matter?

Work was slightly better today and I got a lot done, so came home a bit early. I'm off tomorrow and Monday so maybe I'll have a better attitude Tuesday for our all-day meeting. bleh. It's an issue of doing clinical. My fall course has 3 10-hour clinical days a week and I also teach in class the other two days and I have worked for years to get the boss to cut down my clinical because the class becomes absolute chaos because neither I nor my coworker are here to deal with the course! Now it sounds like I'm doing clinical the whole time in a unit I've never been to, so there's orientation, etc, etc, etc. My blood sugars are also crazy with this clinical. If I have to do it I will, but then I may resign at the end of May and this is a job I've loved for 18 years.

OK rant over, heading to bed without dinner (I sound like a bad girl, don't I?). Take care, Meg from watery Omaha
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Well, our highs for the next week have been revised upward to 89 and 90. Had a very nice nap mid-afternoon today. Will have a short walk later. Didn't record food today........forgot to weigh some things early on but certain I have eaten within my calories.

Kim........ 84 CCRoad sounds familiar; maybe I have the book here somewhere in one of my many book piles.

Mimi............Looked at Dr. Wahls on a TED speech on youtube, they had a big disclaimer on her speech for some reason (???). She's made remarkable progress at improving her physical condition so I think she's on to something----at least something that works for her!! Interesting, good points, and useful food for thought. Worth consideration, I think.

Anne.........Will check out your article on The Netherlands.

Cindy..........Hmmmmmm........a small knob????? My guess is anywhere from a t. to a T.

Beth............My aunt died of ovarian ca. at 42............I had been having vag. ultrasounds yearly with my PAP..........one year my ob/gyn asked if I still wanted to continue and I told him I still didn't want to get cancer
    Jessica Tandy (actress died of o.ca. at 85); it was discovered when she was 80 always sticks in my mind.

On guns........My dad had 2 sisters; neither had children so all my known cousins are on my mom's side. She had 7 sibs
    2 did not make it to adulthood:
    a 10 yr. old boy died a month after being pushed down the school steps of the internal injuries sustained in the fall and my youngest aunt died of either scarlet fever or diptheria at 2.
    Of the 5 remaining aunts and uncles and their children ( I am the youngest of the 1st cousins):
    1 was killed by a neighbor he while hunting----the guy tripped, the gun went off and destroyed my cousins femoral artery, he bled out quickly.
    1 killed himself----after killling his ex-wife and her new boyfriend........his children and babysitter were present.
    1 killed himself, supposedly over depression over the cost of his diabetes meds.
    1 botched suicide attempt after a g.f. left him; now OK.
    DH had 3 sibs.........he now has 2 due to a gun suicide.
    My experience with gun violence has been both devastating and personal............all these people were male, middle class, middle-aged "responsible" adults, except for the one who lived, he was about 20. I am not up for a debate and don't claim to have a solution, just wanted to share the permanent and devastating effect guns have had on my family.

yanniejannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Anne, I got my weight down to 110 and was so excited until three health care professionals (primary care doctor, gyn nurse practitioner, and osteoporosis specialist) told me to gain weight. They suggested 125 as a good weight. It broke my heart but I followed directions and have been keeping my weight between 124 and 127 for about a year. I rarely eat bread, noodles, rice, pasta, cereal, or any desserts or sweets. I have a friend who follows the eating plan of Gray Sheet Anonymous----they eat no white flour or sugar, weigh and measure their food, write down their eating plan for the day, tell the plan to someone else and eat only three meals with nothing in between. Their plan is based on the belief that they are allergic to white flour and sugar and have come to the program after years of compulsive overeating and many failed attempts to get eating under control. I’ve learned a lot from her and admire her a lot.

:bigsmile: :heart: Cindy in OK, your puppy is darling----what is his name?

:heart: :smooched: Hugs to all of you and thank you for the support and encouragement you give to me and to each other

:heart: Barbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington

:bigsmile: 18,000 steps today ----another fabulous line dance class---2 minute plank--an hour on the exercise bike

1884975rxg0f68m70.gif

1836545mblph7p32e.gif

My word for 2014 is “mindful”
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    {{{{YannieJannie}}}} ... there are no words for your family's losses ...
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Only managed 9892 steps for Wednesday but house cleaned. washing done, back garden beds seasoled.
    Managed 30 minutes of Jeannette's Crunch kick-box party before breakfast, 10 minutes Bob's kettle-bells after breakfast. 2 mile doggy walk after lunch. Having jeannette's breakfast and lunches today, healthy.
    Off to seasol fron and side garden beds and tidy house.
    Friends coming round after lunch for metal we have over
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Barbie

What reason did they give you that 110 is too low?
    I think all the flour now on the market has been genetically modified. When I was younger I had no problem eating bread, cake etc.

I looked up Dr. Wahl.
    That eating plan of Dr. Wahl sounds exactly like the eating plan Dr. Fuhrman suggests in his book Eat for Life. And I realized that this is exactly how my mother fed us.

YannieJannie

What a terrible story. I have never known anybody who was killed by a gun, I only see all the stories in the news and get very upset. How can one family take so many losses?
    About guns. I am nearly seventy years old. I have lived an adventurous life and lived and traveled in many places, some of them were considered dangerous. Never in my life there was one situation where a gun would have helped. Not one. Nor do I know anybody who was ever in a situation where a gun would have made a difference. The only time in my whole life when I came in contact with rifles was while hunting in Africa and I would have preferred it to be a photo safari, but I was a guest.

Anne
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!Could use some prayers.Son hurt his back.Going to Violet`s house to see what I can do to help.
    HUGS
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Bob Harpers Inside Out DVD. Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the Humane Society and give them my aluminum then take the deep water class. Maybe stop at Bi-Lo for the items they have on sale before I go to class. Then come home and we're going to plan to cut the entire yard tomorrow.

Leslie - When doing the DVD, I just don't like the one gal, Stephanie. She's always grimacing and it looks like she's working much too hard and will injur herself. So I just don't look. I watch Francisco, although his form when he's doing the triceps isn't all that great. I honestly don't understand how they can use the same weights for every exercise. I can use a heavier weight for the lunges, squats, biceps, but need to go lighter on the shoulders since those are smaller muscles.

Carol - Thanks for telling me about how you can get the rewards. It looks to me like you have to log in your exercise in order to get exercise points. I don't like to log my exercise since MFP will give me more calories. I like to just make a note and know inside that any overage on the calories is going to be taken care of. Everything crossed for your "looker" to be turning into a "buyer"

Anne - my favorite saying is "I'll be dead and buried and the dirt will still be here". Good for you choosing the movies over cleaning the house! My breasts are dense and lumpy, too. when I was in my 20's, waaaayyyy back then they at first were always operating taking out those tumors. They were always fibradinomas so the doc finaly said "I'm not even going to bother any more". A few years ago I had to have a tumor removed (begnine), and I was totally expecting a drain, they don't use them nowadays. Wish we had a good library of exercise DVD's. Here in the South I think they think exercise is akin to something terrible.

Diane in TX - good for you getting those bargains! I got a bathing suit at Kohl's. I'll wait to see if the others go on sale, then I'll buy the cheaper one and return the one I have. If not, then I'll just keep this one (it WAS 60% off). I'm always on the lookout for aerobic DVD's. The problem is, I don't care for dancing or kickboxing, I just don't feel I get a workout from kickboxing. And most of the DVD's are either dancing or kickboxing

Heather - right now I'm scheduled to usher at the Green Room next Friday. I'm VERY surprised, the show is Guys & Dolls and one gal said that there were A LOT of tickets left. I would have thought they'd have flown out the door. And looking at the usher chart, not many ushers have signed up. Good luck on your mammo.

Patty - I was beginnning to wonder where you have been off to. I was hoping it was someplace really exotic! Good luck on the new job application

Well, I've been sleeping in the bedroom with Lance and Shadow. Last night when we gave the cats "treats" (this is when Loki gets his phenobarb), Lance wanted some treats so I gave some to him. Last night he came on the bed with me twice. So I'm thinking that I can start giving him the insulin at least once/day. I think he's starting to trust me some now. He does have this one corner in the room that if he goes to, even if I want to just pet him, he hisses at me. So I just leave him alone when he's there.

Talked to Jess last night. She wanted me to talk to Kris' mom, which I don't have a problem with. Jess said "she'd make a good mother in law". But then she said that she wasn't telling us anything. She and Kris have been going out for a bit over a year now, and so far we haven't heard the "boys are stupid" phrase which usually means that she's ready to go on to another guy. I just wish Kris had a 9-5 job instead of 9pm to about 5am. But you can't have everything. I also wish he was more supportive of Jess going to vet school. Oh well....... As long as she's happy, that's what matters. Have a wonderful time in the Caymans

Pat - do you get to Titusville? We're usually there the lat week in Feb since that's when the Daytona 500 is held. Thanks so much for the black bean veg burger recipe. I especially like when people post not only the recipe but also the nutritionals. Have you made them?

Very warm here. A few of the neighborhood ladies came here. When Vince walked in at 2:00 we were still talking in the kitchen. As he puts it "looks like you had a Dennis the Menace pool party". The reference is to a cartoon a while ago where Dennis and Joey are standing next to a pool and they comment "adults are weird. They have a pool party and no one goes swimming"

yanniejannie - it looks like one of our trees is dead. I just noticed it. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if they took out all the pine trees. That's because they're right where our drainage field is and in winter pine trees keep their needles so not as much sun gets to that area. When you buy premade veggie burgers, they are usually so high in sodium. What I like about patcoh's recipe is that the sodium isn't outrageous

Regarding that girl shooting in AZ, Vince is somewhat knowledgable about guns and he was saying that that Uzi was set on automatic. If it hadn't been set to automatic, that wouldn't have happened. At least that's what he's telling me.

cappuccino_mu and 2bopeep - welcome!

Cindy in OK - adorable pup! When I had my mammogram, this time they used the 3D imaging machine. I honestly thought that it didn't squeeze me as much as the other machine did. Usually, when they say "hold your breath", I comment "no problem". This time I actually had to hold my breath.

Alison - I meant to mention to you, you cook for so many people. What I do lots of times is buy a plate at the Salvation Army, run it thru my dishwasher, and use that to give them the food. If I don't get the dish back -- it's not like I've lost a whole lot. That was so nice of your to get your friend and Laurie together. I'm sure it'll help your friend to talk to someone who's BTDT

Jenn in TX - pop in as often as you can. We love hearing from everyone. Have a great weekend with your company

Pam in LA - I've been here for a few years now and I admit that I STILL don't know everyones name and lifstyle. And then, of course, there are people who for whatever reason have to go on hiatus for a while and when they come back I need to relearn all about them. So if you don't remember everyone, don't worry

mimi - thanks for posting. I was worrying about you

Anne - what was your resting heartrate? I'm guessing in the 50's maybe? I'm trying to stay away from breads and pasta. Don't always succeed, but I'm trying. I do find that if I have a lot of bread or pasta, I start to crave sweets. If I must have a bread (like a roll on the burger), I try to go with one of those whole wheat thins

Beth - I bet it is a great relief for ds to not have that boss. I'm glad to see that someone else says that the gun incident was preventable. I wasn't sure how much to believe Vince, but now I do. Your mom sounds like a hoot!

Meg - so where are you keeping that arc?

yanniejannie - I'm so sorry for your loss

jane - prayers for your son

Michele in NC