1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and eat between 1200-1420 calories a day. It just depends. I exercise 5 days a week doing rowing and strength and I still stay at those calories because I need to lose weight. Not everyone can eat 1200 calories for one meal and lose.

5'9 and exercising that much? You are under eating.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I said "1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone"

You also said:

(or anyone really)

True, and I don't think it is. My BMR is only 1420. If I still wanted to lose weight I would not be eating a measly 1200-1400 calories a day. Its ridiculous.

You believe that THERE ARE NO CIRCUMSTANCES under which someone should eat 1200 calories/day?

Is this what you are saying?
  • veg56kg
    Options

...you then went on to say " or anyone really" ......

To me, this meant, 1200 is not enough as a universal number or for anyone...... Apologies if this is not what you meant!
    For some of us...and I mean me.... to be absolutely specific!...... Losing weight at TDEE hasn't happened, losing weight at 1200 and eating back exercise calories, hasn't happened also. I am finding it hard to find my numbers! I am glad eating in excess of 1200 works for you... Great! It doesn't for others!!!

If you're eating back exercise calories and your small enough to where 1200 is enough for you I see nothing wrong with that.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

True, and I don't think it is. My BMR is only 1420. If I still wanted to lose weight I would not be eating a measly 1200-1400 calories a day. Its ridiculous.

So you wouldn't be sedentary. You'd be out getting active so you could eat more? People do that here. But not everyone is physically capable of burning several hundred calories every day through exercise. I'd be in a wheelchair in a matter of months if I tried that. I'll be lucky to work my way up to a three hundred calorie a day burn over the next year or so. Very lucky. Instead of inheriting a trust-fund, I inherited a bad back. Such is life when one picks the wrong parents.

And even if I were %100 healthy and capable of spending two to three hours a day working out, would I want to? Maybe I'd rather eat less. Maybe some people would prefer to eat less and exercise less?
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

My BMR is less than 1200. I lose less than a pound a week at 1200 calories and am not sedentary. I won't lie and say I'm not jealous of your intake, but the things about me that make my number lower just aren't changing. The less you weigh, the fewer calories you burn with exercise, so for a lot of petite people, eating 1200 is an easier choice than devoting more time to exercise, and that's valid. Some people work the opposite. That's valid too.
  • veg56kg
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

:laugh: Busted.

The sad thing is, you'd get a lot of agreement on this topic, OP, if you hadn't come off so belligerent. Although there would also be a lot of 'seen this thread too many times' reactions.

If you have a friendslist full of people with eating disorders, I sympathize, but most people want to eat as many calories as we can while actually still losing weight. Most of us didn't get fat by hating food.

I dont think they have eating disorders. You don't have to hate food. I genuinely am sorry if it came off in a bad way.
  • veg56kg
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

So you wouldn't be sedentary. You'd be out getting active so you could eat more? People do that here. But not everyone is physically capable of burning several hundred calories every day through exercise. I'd be in a wheelchair in a matter of months if I tried that. I'll be lucky to work my way up to a three hundred calorie a day burn over the next year or so. Very lucky. Instead of inheriting a trust-fund, I inherited a bad back. Such is life when one picks the wrong parents.

And even if I were %100 healthy and capable of spending two to three hours a day working out, would I want to? Maybe I'd rather eat less. Maybe some people would prefer to eat less and exercise less?

Yeah I'd still be active. I dont exercise two hours a day. Thats insane. You don't have to be extreme to lose weight. I still wouldnt eat so little if I wasnt active and wanted to lose weight.
  • DeWitch
    DeWitch Posts: 34 Member
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

The sad thing is, you'd get a lot of agreement on this topic, OP, if you hadn't come off so belligerent. Although there would also be a lot of 'seen this thread too many times' reactions.

If you have a friendslist full of people with eating disorders, I sympathize, but most people want to eat as many calories as we can while actually still losing weight. Most of us didn't get fat by hating food.

"Like" button needed here;)
  • veg56kg
    Options
    Posting judgemental opinions in a condescending tone is not how to win friends and influence people. In fact, it's the opposite of that. But, you're young and naive. You still need a few years under your belt until you learn how to behave in public.

I have apologized already for how I came off but I don't take back what I said.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

I dont think they have eating disorders. You don't have to hate food. I genuinely am sorry if it came off in a bad way.

It'll be okay. If you're encouraging those capable of exercising who don't utterly loathe it to do so more often so they can eat a little bit more, I'm all for that (although some studies show our bodies try to sabotage that by making us hungrier and less fidgety the rest of the day. Damn our energy efficient carcasses!). Exercise is healthy regardless. And I do worry when people here describe themselves as 21 years old, 5'8, university student with two jobs, and struggling to eat 1200 calories a day. I've seen those posts.
  • DeWitch
    Options
    maybe you should have posted this on your friends feed then instead of an open forum where everyone is free to see and yes when you post on an open forum everyone is welcome to give a personal opinion on your post that is kinda how this works in a public setting

• veg56kg
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any bull**** excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.
    My diet is heavily plant based. Even if my foods are not high calorie, I eat frequently and that adds up!
    Furthermore, if you can't meet a simple calorie goal you shouldn't even be exercising and causing further damage to you body.
    1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) if you want to know how much you should really be eating calculate your BMR and then add calories based on your activity level OR calculate your TDEE which I highly recommend.
    It seems most of you want quick and instant results but under eating isnt the way to do it. Permanent and HEALTHY results that you can sustain are going to take time, effort, and certainly a hell of a lot more food.

Actually you may just be wrong about that:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/08/24/intermittent-fasting.aspx

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2014/08/01/pre-workout-nutrition.aspx

A link to tell me about Intermittent Fasting? What was this a rebuttal for...? I didn't even bother to read it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

You believe that THERE ARE NO CIRCUMSTANCES under which someone should eat 1200 calories/day?

gw-itcrowdmosspopcorn.gif
  • veg56kg
    Options
    maybe you should have posted this on your friends feed then instead of an open forum where everyone is free to see and yes when you post on an open forum everyone is welcome to give a personal opinion on your post that is kinda how this works in a public setting

I did. I also posted it here. I don't mind the comments.
  • veg56kg
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

I said for ME. I know I can eat more than my BMR + not be active and still lose weight. JC
  • SideSteel
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

Yeah I'd still be active. I dont exercise two hours a day. Thats insane. You don't have to be extreme to lose weight. I still wouldnt eat so little if I wasnt active and wanted to lose weight.

The problem is that you are either ignoring or simply misunderstanding that there are circumstances that exist in which people may choose to eat 1200 calories and it could be a reasonable decision.

For example if you took a short and relatively inactive and older female you may need to pull calories down at or near that range to start seeing any reasonable amount of weight loss.

MOST people do not have to bring calories this low. Most people have the option to further increase activity levels to keep fat loss moving and certainly a healthy 19 year old person can readily do this, not to mention you probably have much higher NEAT.

But saying that ALL people fit into your idea is basically nonsense.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I said for ME. AND ANYONE REALLY.
  • SideSteel
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

I said for ME. I know I can eat more than my BMR + not be active and still lose weight. JC

You said the following:
    1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really)

I then called you on it and you replied with this:
    True, and I don't think it is

Nothing in the above says to me that you are saying "for ME"

You are saying that 1200 calories is not enough for anyone. This is what I am challenging and this (along with your tone I suppose) is what other people are challenging.
  • DeWitch
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any bull**** excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.
    My diet is heavily plant based. Even if my foods are not high calorie, I eat frequently and that adds up!
    Furthermore, if you can't meet a simple calorie goal you shouldn't even be exercising and causing further damage to you body.
    1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) if you want to know how much you should really be eating calculate your BMR and then add calories based on your activity level OR calculate your TDEE which I highly recommend.
    It seems most of you want quick and instant results but under eating isnt the way to do it. Permanent and HEALTHY results that you can sustain are going to take time, effort, and certainly a hell of a lot more food.

Actually you may just be wrong about that:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/08/24/intermittent-fasting.aspx

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2014/08/01/pre-workout-nutrition.aspx

A link to tell me about Intermittent Fasting? What was this a rebuttal for...? I didn't even bother to read it.

Obviously! Because you already know it all...
    Eating MORE is not always the healthiest way.
    I actually "almost" defended you at the start of this because I have "been there, done that" (not as bad as you did though) and have been "jumped all over".
    BUT now I see that you seem to be just asking for more OR trolling and I won't feed trolls
This discussion has been closed.