1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I said "1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone"

You also said:

(or anyone really)

True, and I don't think it is. My BMR is only 1420. If I still wanted to lose weight I would not be eating a measly 1200-1400 calories a day. Its ridiculous.

So you wouldn't be sedentary. You'd be out getting active so you could eat more? People do that here. But not everyone is physically capable of burning several hundred calories every day through exercise. I'd be in a wheelchair in a matter of months if I tried that. I'll be lucky to work my way up to a three hundred calorie a day burn over the next year or so. Very lucky. Instead of inheriting a trust-fund, I inherited a bad back. Such is life when one picks the wrong parents.

And even if I were %100 healthy and capable of spending two to three hours a day working out, would I want to? Maybe I'd rather eat less. Maybe some people would prefer to eat less and exercise less?

Yeah I'd still be active. I dont exercise two hours a day. Thats insane. You don't have to be extreme to lose weight. I still wouldnt eat so little if I wasnt active and wanted to lose weight.

The problem is that you are either ignoring or simply misunderstanding that there are circumstances that exist in which people may choose to eat 1200 calories and it could be a reasonable decision.

For example if you took a short and relatively inactive and older female you may need to pull calories down at or near that range to start seeing any reasonable amount of weight loss.

MOST people do not have to bring calories this low. Most people have the option to further increase activity levels to keep fat loss moving and certainly a healthy 19 year old person can readily do this, not to mention you probably have much higher NEAT.

But saying that ALL people fit into your idea is basically nonsense.

I never said all. Don't misquote me. I said for MOST people. If you are older/shorter/smaller and it works for you then thats awesome sauce.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

True, and I don't think it is. My BMR is only 1420. If I still wanted to lose weight I would not be eating a measly 1200-1400 calories a day. Its ridiculous.

So you wouldn't be sedentary. You'd be out getting active so you could eat more? People do that here. But not everyone is physically capable of burning several hundred calories every day through exercise. I'd be in a wheelchair in a matter of months if I tried that. I'll be lucky to work my way up to a three hundred calorie a day burn over the next year or so. Very lucky. Instead of inheriting a trust-fund, I inherited a bad back. Such is life when one picks the wrong parents.

And even if I were %100 healthy and capable of spending two to three hours a day working out, would I want to? Maybe I'd rather eat less. Maybe some people would prefer to eat less and exercise less?

Yeah I'd still be active. I dont exercise two hours a day. Thats insane. You don't have to be extreme to lose weight. I still wouldnt eat so little if I wasnt active and wanted to lose weight.

The problem is that you are either ignoring or simply misunderstanding that there are circumstances that exist in which people may choose to eat 1200 calories and it could be a reasonable decision.

For example if you took a short and relatively inactive and older female you may need to pull calories down at or near that range to start seeing any reasonable amount of weight loss.

MOST people do not have to bring calories this low. Most people have the option to further increase activity levels to keep fat loss moving and certainly a healthy 19 year old person can readily do this, not to mention you probably have much higher NEAT.

I never said all. Don't misquote me. I said for MOST people. If you are older/shorter/smaller and it works for you then thats awesome sauce.

You are backpeddling.

You said this:
    I said "1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really)
  • veg56kg
    Options
    I see a lot of people on here do not know how much to eat. 1200 is practically the amount for a small child. 1200 calories was my lunch yesterday, not a days worth of intake! I don't want to hear any bull**** excuses like "I'm never hungry" or that you cant find any high calorie foods that are healthy.
    My diet is heavily plant based. Even if my foods are not high calorie, I eat frequently and that adds up!
    Furthermore, if you can't meet a simple calorie goal you shouldn't even be exercising and causing further damage to you body.
    1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really) if you want to know how much you should really be eating calculate your BMR and then add calories based on your activity level OR calculate your TDEE which I highly recommend.
    It seems most of you want quick and instant results but under eating isnt the way to do it. Permanent and HEALTHY results that you can sustain are going to take time, effort, and certainly a hell of a lot more food.

Actually you may just be wrong about that:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/08/24/intermittent-fasting.aspx

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2014/08/01/pre-workout-nutrition.aspx

A link to tell me about Intermittent Fasting? What was this a rebuttal for...? I didn't even bother to read it.

Obviously! Because you already know it all...
    Eating MORE is not always the healthiest way.
    I actually "almost" defended you at the start of this because I have "been there, done that" (not as bad as you did though) and have been "jumped all over".
    BUT now I see that you seem to be just asking for more OR trolling and I won't feed trolls

I didn't mean it like that, I saw the title and didn't see the point in reading it so I asked what your point was. I'm not saying everyone has to be like me and eat as much as I do. My point is that most people aren't eating enough. It doesn't have to be 2500 cal, but more. I did not mean to upset anyone. I have apologized multiple times. I just want everyone to know that when I made this post I was just trying to say that for a lot of people it is unhealthy to eat so little. That is all. I understand if you are older/shorter/smaller. I'm not debating that.
  • veg56kg
    Options

You also said:

(or anyone really)

You are backpeddling.

You said this:
    I said "1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone (or anyone really)

JC. What more do you people want? I misspoke ( my like mistyped) I have seen the error of my ways! I corrected myself multiple times. I still stick to the fact that for MOST people it is not enough. For SOME it is.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    1200 is perfectly fine for many people. Sounds like you have a case of teenager superiority complex.
    Calm down and worry about yourself. Those that eat 1200 will customize their own weight loss plans based on personal needs and situations

Tactfully stated. =)
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    imagine that.. a 19 year old that already knows it all
  • nezbit88
    nezbit88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump - just to sit back at watch veg56 keep trying to ride the high horse she is on.
  • veg56kg
    Options

A 19 year old going to school to be a Nutritionist knows something about nutrition, wow imagine that!
  • MyiahRose
    MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The OP is right. All these people disagreeing with her for all the wrong reasons. Some of you saying "im fine on 1200 calories" You are damaging your body. Like the OP said, figure out your bmr and tdee. If you cant lose on more than 1200 calories then you are eating more than you think.
  • cheesevixen_staci
    cheesevixen_staci Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think that maybe you just are where you want to be with your weight loss or strength training, and now you feel the need to look down on others who are still working toward their goal. You can change your body, but modesty is something you, girl, need to work on. It's a maturity thing.. That's just my opinion........as if we need to state the obvious.

1200 isn't enough for me when it comes to weight loss. I'm too hyper. This is my first week at a little over 1300 and I get hungry at times. If you have an active lifestyle I suggest higher than 1200. If you do nothing 1200 may be a good place.

I'm not gonna pick apart my words. Read what you want, get angry on your own.
  • veg56kg
    Options
    I think that maybe you just are where you want to be with your weight loss or strength training, and now you feel the need to look down on others who are still working toward their goal. You can change your body, but modesty is something you, girl, need to work on. It's a maturity thing.. That's just my opinion........as if we need to state the obvious.

1200 isn't enough for me when it comes to weight loss. I'm too hyper. This is my first week at a little over 1300 and I get hungry at times. If you have an active lifestyle I suggest higher than 1200. If you do nothing 1200 may be a good place.

I'm not gonna pick apart my words. Read what you want, get angry on your own.

I'm not looking down on people. I actually agree with what you said.
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A 19 year old going to school to be a Nutritionist knows something about nutrition, wow imagine that!

congrats on passing trolling 101
  • veg56kg
    Options
    The OP is right. All these people disagreeing with her for all the wrong reasons. Some of you saying "im fine on 1200 calories" You are damaging your body. Like the OP said, figure out your bmr and tdee. If you cant lose on more than 1200 calories then you are eating more than you think.

Exactly. Someone understands it.
  • veg56kg
    Options

congrats on passing trolling 101

I hate that word. I wasn't trying to troll people.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Misread, but my overall point was that the math works for me like it works for everyone. Isn't it funny that when I eat what Fitbit or MFP tells me to, I lose the weight they predict I will, by following the math? Sometimes the simplest answer is the best. If all the math predicts that this is what I should lose, and that's what I lose, it's probably not user error.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Curious as to why your diary isn't public.
    We could all learn from your valuable wisdom on nutrition.
  • veg56kg
    Options

Curious as to why your diary isn't public.
    We could all learn from your valuable wisdom on nutrition.

I thought it was (?)
  • veg56kg
    Options

I can lose on 1200 calories. People are saying for some, that's our deficit number. Not maintenance. I'm not damaging my body. The math works for me like it works for everyone else.

I am not saying its wrong for everyone though! If it works for you and is enough for you, great.
This discussion has been closed.