1200 cal is NOT enough

Options

Replies

• veg56kg
    veg56kg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    imagine that.. a 19 year old that already knows it all

A 19 year old going to school to be a Nutritionist knows something about nutrition, wow imagine that!
    What chapter are you on? Will you start a new thread when you get to the next chapter?

When school starts I will let ya know.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The OP is right. All these people disagreeing with her for all the wrong reasons. Some of you saying "im fine on 1200 calories" You are damaging your body. Like the OP said, figure out your bmr and tdee. If you cant lose on more than 1200 calories then you are eating more than you think.

How are people damaging their bodies by eating 1200 calories?

Additionally, go to some caloric estimation devices and look at BMR values for petite female subjects and you will find plenty of examples where BMR doesn't get much over 1000. Combine this with activity on the lower end and it could be quite reasonable to eat 1200 calories.

Once again, in MOST cases 1200 is probably too low. But making claims that it's too low for everyone is incorrect, and I'd like you to explain how it's damaging.
  • twikoff
    twikoff Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I hate that word. I wasn't trying to troll people.

what other possible motive would you have for even starting this thread then?

many people on here are following the plans that mfp recommends when putting in their stats... in alot of cases, thats 1200 (plus those that eat exercise cals back)

btw.. basically every single nutrition site details and recommends options specifically for 1200 day plans
    nutrition.com, eatingwell, doctoroz, discovergoodnutrition, livestrong, etc...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I said "1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone"

You also said:

(or anyone really)

:laugh: Busted.

The sad thing is, you'd get a lot of agreement on this topic, OP, if you hadn't come off so belligerent. Although there would also be a lot of 'seen this thread too many times' reactions.

If you have a friendslist full of people with eating disorders, I sympathize, but most people want to eat as many calories as we can while actually still losing weight. Most of us didn't get fat by hating food.

Agree!!

I mostly agree with you Op, but the way you went about it, well.......not very good.

I believe a lot people should be eating way more then 1200 calories, but there are a few who are can do 1200.

I am 45 yrs old and 5'2, right now I'm trying to lose the last few pounds so I am doing 1600-1800 calories.

I have tried 1200 calories and could not do it without having binging issues because I was so hungry and than I started reading more about eating more to lose. Thankful to those "mean people" for putting all those links up for people to read. :drinker:
  • veg56kg
    Options

A 19 year old going to school to be a Nutritionist knows something about nutrition, wow imagine that!
    What chapter are you on? Will you start a new thread when you get to the next chapter?

When school starts I will let ya know.
    So you haven't actually been studying nutrition? You're going to be studying nutrition?
    Or you started and it's summer vacation?

I took a short course last year, but the actual classes and stuff doesn't start for another month.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The OP is right. All these people disagreeing with her for all the wrong reasons. Some of you saying "im fine on 1200 calories" You are damaging your body. Like the OP said, figure out your bmr and tdee. If you cant lose on more than 1200 calories then you are eating more than you think.

Exactly. Someone understands it.

Nope. Another misguided person.

I AM fine on 1200 calories. Losing 1-1.5 lbs a week, with exercising. Feeling great. Oh and if you want to swap qualifiations, I have an Honours degree in Biochemistry & Physiology, plus a Masters.
  • Dayiscoming
    Dayiscoming Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm doing fine at 1200 calories net a day. I eat back my exercise calories and wear a fitbit and eat a good portion of my fitbit adjustments (fitbit adds exercise calories for my steps throughout the day.)

I am 33 lbs above my goal weight. Saw the OP is my height and only 130. My goal is 145. I wasn't losing much eating 1450 net a day for a month and wanted to lose a bit faster. Working for me and I don't feel hungry and get my macros. I used calorieking.com and figured out what my calories would be for sedentary and it said 1200-1400. And when I choose "lose 2 lbs a week" on MFP, it suggested 1200 and said I would lose 1.6 lbs a week.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Sorry but can't resist. So at 19 how many years have you been studying to already be an expert? I know something about nutrition also, but maybe that's because reading comes easy for someone as old as me.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I am not saying its wrong for everyone though! If it works for you and is enough for you, great.

I do appreciate you clarifying that in your earlier posts. You posted a hot topic because this is not a new debate on MFP, and some will insist that there is never any instance where people can safely eat that little and will say, "Only three feet tall people eat that little, everyone else is putting in that they are trying to lose 2 lbs a week." Nah. My # for MFP is 1200 no matter what I put in, and my fitbit number is lower sometimes. 1200 already sucks, so when people (not you, you have clarified) insist on things that aren't true, wounds get a little salty.
  • veg56kg
    Options
    I said "1200 calories isnt like a universal number that is meant for everyone"

You also said:

(or anyone really)

:laugh: Busted.

The sad thing is, you'd get a lot of agreement on this topic, OP, if you hadn't come off so belligerent. Although there would also be a lot of 'seen this thread too many times' reactions.

If you have a friendslist full of people with eating disorders, I sympathize, but most people want to eat as many calories as we can while actually still losing weight. Most of us didn't get fat by hating food.

Agree!!

I mostly agree with you Op, but the way you went about it, well.......not very good.

I believe a lot people should be eating way more then 1200 calories, but there are a few who are can do 1200.

I am 45 yrs old and 5'2, right now I'm trying to lose the last few pounds so I am doing 1600-1800 calories.

I have tried 1200 calories and could not do it without having binging issues because I was so hungry and than I started reading more about eating more to lose. Thankful to those "mean people" for putting all those links up for people to read. :drinker:

I have said repeatedly that I took back what I said. I apologized. I agree with it being okay for some people. I am sorry for the way it comes off to people! Good luck with your weight loss :)<3
  • Daisyalahmad
    Daisyalahmad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with you! For me, I tried 1200 calories a day to "jump start" my weight loss and it has had the opposite effect. I want to eat all the time, no matter how much protein I get, and I feel utterly defeated because I haven't lost weight at that level. I went and calculated my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and it was almost 2500 calories. ANYTHING under that and I will lose weight. Based on the calculator I used I need to eat approximately 1500 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, which is healthy. I am a woman who is 5'5", 313 lbs, and 45 years old. I do weight training 3 days a week. I've upped my calories and am having more success. Down 38 pounds so far! Yay me!
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Don't tell me how to live my life! :sad:
  • veg56kg
    Options

I am not saying its wrong for everyone though! If it works for you and is enough for you, great.

I do appreciate you clarifying that in your earlier posts. You posted a hot topic because this is not a new debate on MFP, and some will insist that there is never any instance where people can safely eat that little and will say, "Only three feet tall people eat that little, everyone else is putting in that they are trying to lose 2 lbs a week." Nah. My # for MFP is 1200 no matter what I put in, and my fitbit number is lower sometimes. 1200 already sucks, so when people (not you, you have clarified) things that aren't true, wounds get a little salty.

Thank you and I really am sorry everyone! Good Luck to you all with your weightloss/fitness goals :)<3
  • veg56kg
    Options
    Don't tell me how to live my life! :sad:

IM SORRY I AM A BAD PERSON D:
  • Jdolphin42
    Jdolphin42 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree and disagree. Mine is currently set at 1270 on days I'm not exercising. I have been going over a little this week. However, I'd rather see me go a little over when it's set at 1270, than go a little over at 1500 or 1800. If your body is truly hungry, then feed it. I also agree with the fact that we're in this together, but on our own journeys. Let's support, not tear down. Have a wonderful Saturday!
  • veg56kg
    Options
    I actually agree with you! For me, I tried 1200 calories a day to "jump start" my weight loss and it has had the opposite effect. I want to eat all the time, no matter how much protein I get, and I feel utterly defeated because I haven't lost weight at that level. I went and calculated my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and it was almost 2500 calories. ANYTHING under that and I will lose weight. Based on the calculator I used I need to eat approximately 1500 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, which is healthy. I am a woman who is 5'5", 313 lbs, and 45 years old. I do weight training 3 days a week. I've upped my calories and am having more success. Down 38 pounds so far! Yay me!

YAYY! I'm so proud of you!! Congratulations :heart:
  • Jdolphin42
    Jdolphin42 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How do you know your TDEE? Does MFP calculate it for us?
  • veg56kg
    Options
    I agree and disagree. Mine is currently set at 1270 on days I'm not exercising. I have been going over a little this week. However, I'd rather see me go a little over when it's set at 1270, than go a little over at 1500 or 1800. If your body is truly hungry, then feed it. I also agree with the fact that we're in this together, but on our own journeys. Let's support, not tear down. Have a wonderful Saturday!

Yes! Agreed :)
  • veg56kg
    Options
    How do you know your TDEE? Does MFP calculate it for us?

No I just google it or go to the website :)

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
This discussion has been closed.