good food/bad food

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    OP just asked what where healthy and unhealthy foods and that what I gave her, however that just for health and to make weight loss easier. In order to lose weight you have to meet your carbs and fats and proteins without going over and being in a energetic deficit over I period time. :P
    What's unhealthy about ice cream?
    Nothing, except for me it's the lactose. Thank the heavens that I can buy lactose free ice cream, otherwise I'd perish.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    How many times do I have to tell you! Yes you can eat bad food in moderation. My god! You guys got to use some common sense. I said that healthy foods do help with weight loss, by keeping you full longer and helping keeping blood sugar valence and getting all your nutitrients to ward off cravings. But however it won't automactily make you lose weight. You have to be in a caloric deficit while still meeting you carb fat and protein needs without going over. *closes book even harder*

But you keep calling them "bad food." There are no bad foods.

To some people, there are bad foods. You, along with everyone else, just need to respect that and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding what's healthy and what's not. Besides it's their body not yours. They can choose to feed it what they wish.

I can say the same for your posts too, as well as people pushing demonizing foods. "If I want to eat pasta, I will because it's my body, not yours!" When someone asks my opinion, I'm going to give it. That's what OP did. That's the point of this thread, in case you missed it.

By the way, having an opinion about something doesn't make it true. I like to rely on science for that.

I clearly didn't miss the point of the thread considering I gave my opinion just like you gave yours. :laugh:

If you rely on science and such, you might want to take a look at this: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002436.htm. Then try to tell me "there are no bad foods."

All that article does is tell you to avoid a bunch of foods, but it never gives reasons why. Totally useless.

If you were familiar with SCIENCE and NUTRITION you would know why! It's scary that you are a nursing student and don't know why those foods should be avoided.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How many times do I have to tell you! Yes you can eat bad food in moderation. My god! You guys got to use some common sense. I said that healthy foods do help with weight loss, by keeping you full longer and helping keeping blood sugar valence and getting all your nutitrients to ward off cravings. But however it won't automactily make you lose weight. You have to be in a caloric deficit while still meeting you carb fat and protein needs without going over. *closes book even harder*

To some people, there are bad foods. You, along with everyone else, just need to respect that and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding what's healthy and what's not. Besides it's their body not yours. They can choose to feed it what they wish.

I can say the same for your posts too, as well as people pushing demonizing foods. "If I want to eat pasta, I will because it's my body, not yours!" When someone asks my opinion, I'm going to give it. That's what OP did. That's the point of this thread, in case you missed it.

By the way, having an opinion about something doesn't make it true. I like to rely on science for that.

I clearly didn't miss the point of the thread considering I gave my opinion just like you gave yours. :laugh:

If you rely on science and such, you might want to take a look at this: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002436.htm. Then try to tell me "there are no bad foods."

Read it. There are no bad foods. Article doesn't label a single food bad. It does identify some foods to consume in greater quantity under the assumption that the general SAD diet has certain inadequacies. You'll not that the article also states

"Eat low-fat breads, cereals, crackers, rice, pasta..."

All the foodz that mrs peanutbutter (processed, added sugars, deadly allergen for some) said were bad.
    Thank you for pointing out how wrong she is.
  • Opinion sorry. I type fast without thinking a lot!
  • I still eat peanut in moderation though. Moderation is key!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to nuts. Ergo nuts are bad food. I will now go forth and tell everyone that miys are bad because clearly if I view it as bad for me it is bad and I am in no way obligated to include the qualifier of 'for me'.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

All that article does is tell you to avoid a bunch of foods, but it never gives reasons why. Totally useless.

If you were familiar with SCIENCE and NUTRITION you would know why! It's scary that you are a nursing student and don't know why those foods should be avoided.

tumblr_m4qffwnOsy1rwcc6bo1_250.gif
  • Can we all just drop it okay. We all ranted out heart out! So can be all just be calm again! That would be nice!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I love threads like this on rainy days. Okay, no I don't. I need my pool and a beer. Maybe a Krispy Kreme.

Oh man, can I come over to your place? I can't drink the beer, but I'm all in for the Krispy Kreme.

OP, there are no good or bad foods. You can have cookies, soda, chips, fast food, etc. You just have to exercise moderation with them, since they are higher calorie. Shoot, I've had fast food everyday this week, and during my weight loss, I know on average I ate out at least once a week.

You don't have to sneak around foods or cut things out. That's the fast track to failure. Eventually (or at least one hopes), you'll reach maintenance (AKA, you've lost all the weight you want to and just want to stay at that weight). Are you going to give up all the foods you love for the rest of your life? No. You're going to eat them. You're still going to have Thanksgiving & Christmas dinners. You're still going to go to Birthday parties chock full of ice cream and cakes. Are you going to forgo them? No. You're going to partake and enjoy those times. As they say, EVERYTHING in moderation. Fit all those things into your daily life and calorie goal. Have success, enjoy life, lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    You're pointing the "no common sense" finger out at many of us, but there are three more of those fingers pointing back at you.

Everything in moderation. There are no good or bad foods AT ALL, except that to which you are intolerant or allergic, those you don't like, those that make you ill, or those that your doctor has told you to avoid for medical reasons.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

Sounds like you're not familiar with reading through scientific studies. You linked to an article, not a published study. As mentioned the article talks about foods you should eat more and foods you should eat less but does not state that you should completely cut out any foods. It also talks about limiting saturated fat which is highly questionable since some of the healthiest diets in the world are high in saturated fats...
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Your personal attack really hurt me. Now I guess I'll either change my opinions to match yours or drop out of nursing school.
  • How many times do I have to tell you! Yes you can eat bad food in moderation. My god! You guys got to use some common sense. I said that healthy foods do help with weight loss, by keeping you full longer and helping keeping blood sugar valence and getting all your nutitrients to ward off cravings. But however it won't automactily make you lose weight. You have to be in a caloric deficit while still meeting you carb fat and protein needs without going over. *closes book even harder*

tumblr_m4qffwnOsy1rwcc6bo1_250.gif
    Lol lol lol!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Bad foods for me are olives' avocados, cottage cheese. All are nasty tasting to me. Also if there is an fungi growing it's bad I won't it eat.

There are some people who take these labels really seriously and has negative effects on them when they eat these so called bad foods. I.e want to purge. Feel bad etc My opinion is to stop calling food . Eat in moderation
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    You know what I give up this place it isn't supportive. Yes some of you are actually helping and I'm sorry I didn't point out who they wrre and who wasn't. I just wanted a basic idea and I'm sorry if my questions were "dumb" or repetitive or something but their real questions. I didnt know what type of food to stay away from or not or if it was good for me or not i understand chips bad and veggies good but their is some veggie and fruits that are not good for you at all to eat thats what i was looking for more of a depth into it instead of just plan idea. Sorry I came for help maybe I should take my questions else where. And I do read through the comments maybe not as well as a I should but when I see stupid picture or people laughing and not taking it serious it loses my hope. So thank you people who did help me and actually told me which is good food and which isnt and people who decide to just get into a fight or laugh instead and lose the matter of the real question thank you for letting me know not to ask questions on here any more and take them somewhere else where i can get help. Good day to you all.
    I'm sorry you choose to feel this way. However, please listen to me--as I said in an earlier post I used to label foods good and bad. I was only able to lose weight and keep it off when I stopped labeling food and realized you can eat everything in moderation and still lose weight.

My diary is public. Take a peek.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I just ate half of a high-fat, lowish protein avocado... mmm avocados. Some people would say they're "bad" because they have too much carbs and too much fat to fit into their system/paradigm of what a food plan/diet should be.

When I was having gallstone attacks (before they took the bugger out) they told me I should avoid avocados. But thank goodness that avocados aren't "bad"... they were just ill-advised at the time because they'd cause me severe pain.

This is called deciding for myself what's right and wrong for me to eat (my doctor gets input, too) thru a process called critical thinking. I'm grateful I learned how to utilize this skill and apply it to decisions I make about my food. Because if I listened to the mainstream tv doctors, I'd surely still be morbidly obese like I used to be.

Opinions are great, when they're founded in objectivity.
    [edit for missing verb]
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

That's fine and true. But, the OP has NO idea and is asking random strangers and then getting angry when most of them tell her they don't believe in bad foods. Not only that but she clearly thinks, for some reason, that EVERY food category has good and bad versions. She asked for good/bad meats, good/bad nuts, now she's mentioned good/bad fruits and vegetables. I suppose one COULD classify foods as good or bad if there were some specific criteria, which she has never offered. If you're watching carbs, potatoes would be "bad." If you're eating low-fat, fried chicken would be "bad." But if you're eating IIFYM, both of those would be"good." She doesn't even know what she's asking. :noway:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Your personal attack really hurt me. Now I guess I'll either change my opinions to match yours or drop out of nursing school.

Or perhaps, you can join the Legion of Science and understand that that article is both dated (despite its update date) and inaccurate. The information on eggs, salt, fats can all be questioned and found wanting.

For example, the 4 eggs a week is really only valid for someone with cholesterol issues. (http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2012/08/should-i-stop-eating-eggs-to-control-cholesterol-diet-myth-4/)

A general guideline to generally limit or avoid shrimp is also incorrect (http://www.healthline.com/health/shrimp-cholesterol-and-heart-health).

edit: spelling
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Huh?

To some people there are good and bad foods, but I think you might be missing the point.

There are good and bad foods per individual choice based on individual experience, but numerous people in this thread are extrapolating their choices to respond to the OP's thread.

For example, I HATE cooked cabbage, therefore to me it's icky bad. However, I am not going to tell someone it's bad just because i don't like to eat it.

Same thing with cheesecake. It sends my tummy into a flurry (and me to the bathroom), but I'm not going to say it's a bad food.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Or perhaps, you can join the Legion of Science and understand that that article is both dated (despite its update date) and inaccurate. The information on eggs, salt, fats can all be questioned and found wanting.

For example, the 4 eggs a week is really only valid for someone with cholesterol issues. (http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2012/08/should-i-stop-eating-eggs-to-control-cholesterol-diet-myth-4/)

A general guideline to generally limit or avoid shrimp is also incorrect (http://www.healthline.com/health/shrimp-cholesterol-and-heart-health).

edit: spelling

(I completely agree with you and I hope you understand that my last post was sarcasm. Wasn't sure if it came across clearly enough, haha.)