good food/bad food

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    To some people, there are bad foods. You, along with everyone else, just need to respect that and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding what's healthy and what's not. Besides it's their body not yours. They can choose to feed it what they wish.

That's fine and true. But, the OP has NO idea and is asking random strangers and then getting angry when most of them tell her they don't believe in bad foods. Not only that but she clearly thinks, for some reason, that EVERY food category has good and bad versions. She asked for good/bad meats, good/bad nuts, now she's mentioned good/bad fruits and vegetables. I suppose one COULD classify foods as good or bad if there were some specific criteria, which she has never offered. If you're watching carbs, potatoes would be "bad." If you're eating low-fat, fried chicken would be "bad." But if you're eating IIFYM, both of those would be"good." She doesn't even know what she's asking. :noway:

OP hasn't stated if she has any medical conditions…. diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. If she has any of those things, it'd be important for her to note that. Say for example she has high blood pressure, processed foods would not be in OP's best interest.

So I agree and think she needs to spend time researching what kind of "diet" she wants to follow. Maybe even speak to a dietitian who can help better inform her of nutrition.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to go back and read the rest of this thread. However in the mean time:

There are very few, if any, foods that have a negative impact on health, in reasonable doses, assuming no medical conditions.

There are 'healthier' and 'less healthy' diets as a whole.

Keep it simple. Try to eat a good amount of fruits and veggies, get your protein in (meat is fine if you eat it, although you may want to limit processed meats), get fats from a variety of sources (nuts, avocados, seeds, dairy etc) but be careful with portion sizes. If you have room in your allowance and they are not triggering, you can allow yourself some treats.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How many times do I have to tell you! Yes you can eat bad food in moderation. My god! You guys got to use some common sense. I said that healthy foods do help with weight loss, by keeping you full longer and helping keeping blood sugar valence and getting all your nutitrients to ward off cravings. But however it won't automactily make you lose weight. You have to be in a caloric deficit while still meeting you carb fat and protein needs without going over. *closes book even harder*

But you keep calling them "bad food." There are no bad foods.

To some people, there are bad foods. You, along with everyone else, just need to respect that and move on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding what's healthy and what's not. Besides it's their body not yours. They can choose to feed it what they wish.

I can say the same for your posts too, as well as people pushing demonizing foods. "If I want to eat pasta, I will because it's my body, not yours!" When someone asks my opinion, I'm going to give it. That's what OP did. That's the point of this thread, in case you missed it.

By the way, having an opinion about something doesn't make it true. I like to rely on science for that.

I clearly didn't miss the point of the thread considering I gave my opinion just like you gave yours. :laugh:

If you rely on science and such, you might want to take a look at this: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002436.htm. Then try to tell me "there are no bad foods."

All that article does is tell you to avoid a bunch of foods, but it never gives reasons why. Totally useless.

If you were familiar with SCIENCE and NUTRITION you would know why! It's scary that you are a nursing student and don't know why those foods should be avoided.

Your personal attack really hurt me. Now I guess I'll either change my opinions to match yours or drop out of nursing school.

Or perhaps, you can join the Legion of Science and understand that that article is both dated (despite its update date) and inaccurate. The information on eggs, salt, fats can all be questioned and found wanting.

For example, the 4 eggs a week is really only valid for someone with cholesterol issues. (http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2012/08/should-i-stop-eating-eggs-to-control-cholesterol-diet-myth-4/)

A general guideline to generally limit or avoid shrimp is also incorrect (http://www.healthline.com/health/shrimp-cholesterol-and-heart-health).

edit: spelling

(I completely agree with you and I hope you understand that my last post was sarcasm. Wasn't sure if it came across clearly enough, haha.)

Of course it did.
    Nurse on.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If it makes you hungrier, if it makes you crave, it if makes you sick, if it makes you tired, if it makes you cranky, if it makes you weak: It's bad food. If it makes you satisfied, if it makes you feel good, if it gives you energy, if it makes you strong: It's good food.

What foods do that may vary from person to person. Find foods that are OFY. Optimal For You.

This!!!! Is what I live by!!!!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Looks like I need to go back and read the rest of this thread. However in the mean time:

There are very few, if any, foods that have a negative impact on health, in reasonable doses, assuming no medical conditions.

Keep it simple. Try to eat a good amount of fruits and veggies, get your protein in (meat is fine if you eat it, although you may want to limit processed meats), get fats from a variety of sources (nuts, avocados, seeds, dairy etc) but be careful with portion sizes. If you have room in your allowance and they are not triggering, you can allow yourself some treats.

:flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

:flowerforyou:

jon-stewart-colbert-bravo.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Good foods:
    Fresh vegetables, raw or steamed
    Fresh fruits
    All natural yogurt or kefir
    Nuts and nut butter
    Non gmo meats, preferably grass or vegetable fed
    Whole grains and breads, pastas, rice and flours made from whole grains

Bad foods:
    Foods that are highly processed and or chock full of preservatives
    Frozen dinners
    Soda

The easiest way to think about it (in general) is the more layers of packaging a food has the worse it is for you in terms of its nutritional content.

Yes you can still lose weight eating 1000 calories of twinkles every day, but you will not be healthy long term. If you choose to keep your head in the sand about this very simple concept, that's fine, but its really very simple.

Looks like I should be going for the donut

5ecn79.jpg

2zy8jnl.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Avoid packaged food...

packagedorganic.jpg
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Trust me, you don't need to read this thread. Perfectly put.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    because the majority of this nonsense calls for it...

wKN7qV2.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    That's a French dog.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For me food like icecream, cake, candybars b/c icecream makes my stomach hurt and cake, cookies candybars are trigger foods to binge and I leave them off my diet for now. (for the most part) But I wouldn't call them "bad" foods. I see people on her all the time that eat stuff like that and lose weight.I prefer lower calorie foods that are dense and filling. Occ I do have chips, (I love salty, crispy foods) but some people would call that bad. I've lost almost 40 lbs and I eat a lot of food. I've eliminated some things from my diet like colas and diet drinks b/c of health reasons but a lot of people drink diet sodas and regular sodas and do fine. Watermelon has sugar in it and I eat a lot of it b/c it's dense, and it satisfies my sweet tooth. Eat foods you like and make you feel good all in moderation. (I'm learning that as I go). Good Luck to you!!!:smile:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    That's a French dog.
    well that's just... like... your opinion, man.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    For me food like icecream, cake, candybars b/c icecream makes my stomach hurt and cake, cookies candybars are trigger foods to binge and I leave them off my diet for now. (for the most part) But I wouldn't call them "bad" foods. I see people on her all the time that eat stuff like that and lose weight.I prefer lower calorie foods that are dense and filling. Occ I do have chips, (I love salty, crispy foods) but some people would call that bad. I've lost almost 40 lbs and I eat a lot of food. I've eliminated some things from my diet like colas and diet drinks b/c of health reasons but a lot of people drink diet sodas and regular sodas and do fine. Watermelon has sugar in it and I eat a lot of it b/c it's dense, and it satisfies my sweet tooth. Eat foods you like and make you feel good all in moderation. (I'm learning that as I go). Good Luck to you!!!:smile:
    \

Lovely post!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    That's a French dog.
    well that's just... like... your opinion, man.

I subscribed to that magazine for years, mon ami.

Also.....

82341d1373761709-hi-im-16-can-i-get-450hp-out-homebrew-turbo-kit-under-$3000-tumblr_ls43mbtlv41qhzdcmo1_500-gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Good foods:
    Fresh vegetables, raw or steamed
    Fresh fruits
    All natural yogurt or kefir
    Nuts and nut butter
    Non gmo meats, preferably grass or vegetable fed
    Whole grains and breads, pastas, rice and flours made from whole grains

Bad foods:
    Foods that are highly processed and or chock full of preservatives
    Frozen dinners
    Soda

The easiest way to think about it (in general) is the more layers of packaging a food has the worse it is for you in terms of its nutritional content.

Yes you can still lose weight eating 1000 calories of twinkles every day, but you will not be healthy long term. If you choose to keep your head in the sand about this very simple concept, that's fine, but its really very simple.

Looks like I should be going for the donut

5ecn79.jpg

2zy8jnl.jpg

Wait!!!! Is this a trick question? 'Cause donut.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as good and bad food. There are foods that are very high in calories, but it's still food.

A calorie is a calorie whether it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs.

All weight loss is---is calories in versus calories out. You choose which foods your calories come from.

THIS!!! It is the ONLY, and FINAL, answer
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I love threads like this on rainy days. Okay, no I don't. I need my pool and a beer. Maybe a Krispy Kreme.

Yeah but no but yeah but no - just clicked - with beer I need savory food - Krispy Kreme should start making salty donuts!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I love threads like this on rainy days. Okay, no I don't. I need my pool and a beer. Maybe a Krispy Kreme.

Yeah but no but yeah but no - just clicked - with beer I need savory food - Krispy Kreme should start making salty donuts!

I knew there was something sort of 'off' with that post. That's it! By themselves, beer is good, and Krispy Kreme is good. But, together, they are bad. Pizza and beer, Krispy Kreme and milk. Good.

This is coming from a retired drunk mind you... so, I can only actually 'do' the Krispy Kreme(s) and milk. But, when I did drink... never beer and Krispy Kreme.