• Sugartoes44
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    7pm/7.30 - go for a run (warm up and cool down)
    8pm/8.30 - cook dinner/have a shower/eat dinner
    9pm/9.30 - tidy do washing chores etc
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

What do you suggest I cut???? Please tell me because I can't see anything I can cut???

Get up and go to the gym at 5am (they do open that early) which will give you an hour and a half before your scheduled "get up" time to put in a work out. shower at the gym if you have to do that in order to get to work on time (people do do that).
    Prep all your meals so you don't have to cook every night and all you have to do is heat it up. have enough clothes so that you don't have to wash until the weekend. go to sleep at a normal hour. get back up and do it again.

some people have excuses. And then others, make sacrifices.

Okay how the hell does that give me 8 hours sleep??????

AHHHH! This is so ridiculous. I'm out.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    You could cut time from cooking, tidying, getting ready. If you're dead set on your 8 hours, maybe don't take an entire hour to get ready in the morning - these are the sacrifices people are talking about. Ride your bike to work. Walk on your lunch break.

Also, maybe stop trying to work out before you have your life together. I don't mean that as an insult, but you seem pretty dead set in not coming up with a way to make it work. Change your attitude before you change your schedule.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

What do you suggest I cut???? Please tell me because I can't see anything I can cut???

Get up and go to the gym at 5am (they do open that early) which will give you an hour and a half before your scheduled "get up" time to put in a work out. shower at the gym if you have to do that in order to get to work on time (people do do that).
    Prep all your meals so you don't have to cook every night and all you have to do is heat it up. have enough clothes so that you don't have to wash until the weekend. go to sleep at a normal hour. get back up and do it again.

Put yourself in someone else's shoes, like our SOLDIERS. If they can fight for our country and go days on days with no sleep, you can sacrifice. If a mom working two jobs and is struggling to maintain a house of kids can go on less hours of sleep, so can you. Quit making excuses. Tons of people go every night without 8 hours of sleep, and they manage just fine.

Are you a qualified doctor with access to my medical records? No.

I have to have a minium of 8 hours sleep or I get ill

I do not work in the armed forces due to the above and I cannot have children so I'm never going to be in that situation I am not making execuses.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    And get ill again yeah that's a fabulous plan
    Have you gone to the doctor for this? Getting 7.5 hours of sleep instead of 8 should not make you incredibly ill. You should really get that checked out, if you can make some time of course.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    there are many excuses and little flexiblity and a lot of reasons why she "can't" do this...So for all of us with "easy" lives who make it happen, well kudos to us...this is a losing battle here, and I don't know why we keep offering suggestions when she clearly "can't" do any of them. OP-I truly beleive that if you made yourself get up earlier, lets say an hour, that it may be tough at first but your body would eventually adjust to getting 7 hours of sleep vs 8, from the sounds of it, that isn't something you are intersted in. Yep, during the adjustment period is sucks *kitten*, but in the long run, at least for me....totally worth it...my health is worth more than an hour of sleep during the week everyday, and then I sleep in on Saturdays. You gotta want it and to me, it seems like right now....you don't.

can't and won't are two different things. She can't or she won't? That is the question we all have the answer to.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Can I ask - why does it take you an hour to get ready for work? You can most likely cut some time there.

I have a full time job, a house, pets, 3 kids with corresponding athletic and academic activities and a husband (who has a crazy schedule and does not do daily household chores, plus you wouldn't want to eat anything he cooks lol)

Now, I only get 6 hours of sleep a night which is not doable for you, but since you don't need to spend 2 hours a night at the hockey rink it will even out.

The key for you is going to be prep (and the ability to multitask)!!! On Sundays I make a meal plan and prep as much as humanly possible so cooking is a breeze. Before I go to bed I get the laundry all set so that in the morning I only need to push the button on the washer. While the washer is doing it's thing, I run or cycle. My outfits for the week (with jewelry, under garments and accessories) are put together on Sunday night. I pack my lunch before I go to bed every night so I don't need to do it in the morning. My breakfast is prepped before I go to bed. On the days I go to the gym. laundry gets done while dinner is cooking and I eat breakfast at work (prepped at home the night before and packed in my lunch bag)

Another thing you can do is take that 2 hour workout and split it. Do the cardio on one day and weights the next. It really is not necessary to do both every single day! I lift 2x a week (3 when I'm not training for a race), run 3 days, and cycle 2. On Thursdays I lift and run so I can take Friday as a rest day.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Anyone with kids has done it, and it was no fun.

Did you really enjoy stumbling into work or driving half asleep?

How about that wonderful appearance of being strung out on drugs, all your money was missing to match the dark under-eyes!

None of us did. We did it and we rock for it, but that's supposed to be temporary, not sustainable for long term.

Of course, our body can do it in an emergency, but it's not optimal for health.

I say make the cut elsewhere.

Take time off work, tell the family you're taking and extra hour, I wouldn't suggest anyone sleep less than they need to have time to lift.

Every day. That is me- and I don't have kids.... but it's me EVERY day- EVERY week- for the past 5 years.

And it's worth it to me. Because it's THAT important to me to do the things I want to do- it's a sacrifice. and it's one I'm willing to make.
    Some people aren't- which is fine- but don't whine about no time- when you aren't willing to make a sacrifice somewhere- it doesn't HAVE to be sleep- you're right- make the cut on SOMETHING- but you gotta be willing to CUT something.

Social life? what's that? Training > social life.
    Why? because my training matters more to me than having a beer at a pub.

And OP seems to be missing this- you either give up on sleep- or give up somewhere else- if you aren't willing to do it- then stop crying about it.

Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

Then why ask for advice?

If you read my original post I actually didn't.

Ummm....yeah you did.
    How do all you gym bunnies find the time.

I get up at 6.30am go to work and then don't get home till just before 7pm in the three hours before bed (I need 8 hours sleep otherwise I cannot function) I need to make dinner sort out lunch do any washing and chill a bit. I manage to get in a 30/40 min run but I don't have time for much else how does everyone get in so many hours of exercise?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

By condensing 7-9:30 into lump chores done only once or twice a week....not 2.5 hrs every night.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ok come on you guys. Stop being so mean to the OP! She doesn't have enough time to do what she would like to do, because of her really busy schedule. She just wants to know how come other people are not as busy as her, and can work out when she can't!

OP, I totally understand. Unlike everyone on this thread other than yourself, I have a job, work past 5pm, and commute back and forth from said job. I, too need to sleep, because I am a mammal. I also prepare meals for myself, shower, and sometimes I wash my clothes (not by hand - then I'd be really pressed for time! - but in a washer/dryer). Maybe if you guys were real adults with adult responsibilities and were as busy as us, you would get it.

OP, because you CAN'T get less than 8 hours sleep - like it's unthinkable that you should not conform to some convenient clichéd notion of how much sleep humans need, because you will literally die - you should totally ignore all the well-intentioned advice from those who thought you were looking for suggestions when clearly you just want people to say "oh man you are really busy, your life is so difficult and important! I'm proud of you for holding it together, good luck on your 10K!!!".

ETA Good luck on your 10K
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't have anyone I'm obliged to at home except for my cat. So, I just make time. I may have laundry that needs to be done, but I just make the time. My gym is 24 hours so that helps A LOT.

I also work next door to a fitness center and I sneak in workouts on my lunch break (either run around the track or go to the pool for 30 minutes). I also keep weights and bands in my office and take a few breaks during the day to regroup and do a few reps.

Pretty much I wake up earlier now (yoga is at 6 a.m.) and I plan my life around my workout schedule instead of planning my workout schedule around my life. It might tick some people off, but they don't have to walk around with 80 pounds to lose.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I get up at 6.30am go to work and then don't get home till just before 7pm in the three hours before bed (I need 8 hours sleep otherwise I cannot function) I need to make dinner sort out lunch do any washing and chill a bit. I manage to get in a 30/40 min run but I don't have time for much else how does everyone get in so many hours of exercise?

Me too! And I have two preschoolers.

The answer is: I found a routine that works for me!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Ok come on you guys. Stop being so mean to the OP! She doesn't have enough time to do what she would like to do, because of her really busy schedule. She just wants to know how come other people are not as busy as her, and can work out when she can't!

OP, I totally understand. Unlike everyone on this thread other than yourself, I have a job, work past 5pm, and commute back and forth from said job. I, too need to sleep, because I am a mammal. I also prepare meals for myself, shower, and sometimes I wash my clothes (not by hand - then I'd be really pressed for time! - but in a washer/dryer). Maybe if you guys were real adults with adult responsibilities and were as busy as us, you would get it.

OP, because you CAN'T get less than 8 hours sleep - like it's unthinkable that you should not conform to some convenient clichéd notion of how much sleep humans need, because you will literally die - you should totally ignore all the well-intentioned advice from those who thought you were looking for suggestions when clearly you just want people to say "oh man you are really busy, your life is so difficult and important! I'm proud of you for holding it together, good luck on your 10K!!!".

:laugh: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just realized that in your original post you have 3 hours after work to cook, do chores and "chill a bit". That, right there, is your work out time. Busy people who prioritize health and fitness sacrifice "chill a bit" for exercise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just some background, I'm doing a 10K in September hense the cardio each night this will soon be more like an hour instead of 30/40 mins unfortunately if I can round the run in September I need to do this each night at the moment I can fit in maybe one rest day a week at moment.

Why do you need an hour of cardio every day to train for a 10k? Sounds like major overkill to me... Run 3 x a week, one of which is a long run (up to an hour) then maybe 2 x strength training and 1 or 2 days rest is the general format for 10k training?
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I just realized that in your original post you have 3 hours after work to cook, do chores and "chill a bit". That, right there, is your work out time. Busy people who prioritize health and fitness sacrifice "chill a bit" for exercise.

In those three hours an hour is spent running (with warming up and down).

Shower and dinner pretty much take an hour before I get slammed for this my hair is down to my waist it takes time to wash and towel dry.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

In those three hours an hour is spent running (with warming up and down).

Shower and dinner pretty much take an hour before I get slammed for this my hair is down to my waist it takes time to wash and towel dry.

get a haircut.

that'll save you some time.

a cute little pixie cut maybe?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, nobody here has magical buckets of free time. Almost everyone here works, commutes, eats, sleeps, etc. Most of us don't have nannies or maids, either. If you want to fit in another activity, you have to give something up or figure out a way to do things more quickly. Add two days of weight lifting (45 minutes to 1 hour) and don't clean on those days. Batch cook and eat leftovers. Shower more quickly, pare down your "wind down" routine, throw a load of laundry into the washer in the morning before you go to work.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Me too! And I have two preschoolers.

The answer is: I found a routine that works for me!

I did a half marathon last November too!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Anyone with kids has done it, and it was no fun.

Did you really enjoy stumbling into work or driving half asleep?

How about that wonderful appearance of being strung out on drugs, all your money was missing to match the dark under-eyes!

None of us did. We did it and we rock for it, but that's supposed to be temporary, not sustainable for long term.

Of course, our body can do it in an emergency, but it's not optimal for health.

I say make the cut elsewhere.

Take time off work, tell the family you're taking and extra hour, I wouldn't suggest anyone sleep less than they need to have time to lift.

Every day. That is me- and I don't have kids.... but it's me EVERY day- EVERY week- for the past 5 years.

And it's worth it to me. Because it's THAT important to me to do the things I want to do- it's a sacrifice. and it's one I'm willing to make.
    Some people aren't- which is fine- but don't whine about no time- when you aren't willing to make a sacrifice somewhere- it doesn't HAVE to be sleep- you're right- make the cut on SOMETHING- but you gotta be willing to CUT something.

Social life? what's that? Training > social life.
    Why? because my training matters more to me than having a beer at a pub.

And OP seems to be missing this- you either give up on sleep- or give up somewhere else- if you aren't willing to do it- then stop crying about it.

Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

Cuts:

Wake up later so you can go to bed later. (7am)

Skip "Wind down" and that gives you an entire hour daily 9:30pn-10:30pm to do an extra bit of working out.

You'll need to bathe later and workout earlier, but you can switch those times up.
  • puddingsteel
    puddingsteel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hopefully OP is not spending too much time getting caught up in silly arguments over time management with complete strangers...:yawn: