TIME

Options
12345679»

Replies

• opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    This is the greatest thread ever.

I fit in more exercise by slowing down time. It's a Buddhist technique. So what would take a normal person one hour in the gym to accomplish, I can get done in 10 minutes by slowing down time. It took me 50 years to perfect this technique, but using that and eating at least 400 grams of protein per day, I stay fit enough to compete in the Olympics. I simply choose not to because my cats would get lonely if I ate all the gluten-free peanut butter.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    7pm/7.30 - go for a run (warm up and cool down)
    8pm/8.30 - cook dinner/have a shower/eat dinner
    9pm/9.30 - tidy do washing chores etc
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

What do you suggest I cut???? Please tell me because I can't see anything I can cut???

oh stop it. You aren't a special snow flake. WE ARE ALL BUSY- and we make time for it. Cut you're hair if it takes too much time to deal with. Batch cook on the weekends
    Cut out wind down time
    Cut out chores every night- save those for the weekend
    Have more clothes to rotate through so you only have to do laundry once a week.

the short answer that you seem to be missing is we don't have more time in the day than you- we MAKE it a priority.

If it's not a priority- then don't do it.
    If it is a priority- then DO IT.

Like anything else- if it's a priority- you'll find a way.- but don't make excuses about it- not a single person here cares if you do or do not change your schedule- no one is judging you for that. But don't ask about how to make time and then just say you cant'. It's nonsensical.

Do you spend HOURS in the gym, JoRocka? Because that's whom she wants responses from.

Not the incredibly fit people who are able to find ways of getting exercise done within a normal life.

I live at my gym- I actually have cot set up in the back for me.

You sleep? I find no time to sleep since I spend most of my time lifting. Sleep is a crutch.

Right. Because it takes hours upon hours of total dedication to get a great body.

Not at all choices like this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MireyGal76/view/i-am-684400
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what the nightly "chores" are? Are you doing laundry every night? Cleaning the house? If you were to figure out what you might want to eat that week then make the meals on the weekend and just heat them up. Or do whatever "chores" you have to do in between cooking.

Or wake up a bit earlier and go to the gym. Find one close to where you work so that you can hit the gym and make it to work on time. There are SO MANY things you can cut from your day to make the time for a workout. And again you don't need to work out for 4 hours. I went to the gym this afternoon and did back and legs. Took me 50 minutes and I did 6 back exercises and 3 leg exercises three sets of 10 reps each exercise, including breaks while my husband did his sets.

50 minutes.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I would like to know what the nightly "chores" are? Are you doing laundry every night? Cleaning the house? If you were to figure out what you might want to eat that week then make the meals on the weekend and just heat them up. Or do whatever "chores" you have to do in between cooking.

Or wake up a bit earlier and go to the gym. Find one close to where you work so that you can hit the gym and make it to work on time. There are SO MANY things you can cut from your day to make the time for a workout. And again you don't need to work out for 4 hours. I went to the gym this afternoon and did back and legs. Took me 50 minutes and I did 6 back exercises and 3 leg exercises three sets of 10 reps each exercise, including breaks while my husband did his sets.

50 minutes.

I run for 45 minutes twice a week, 1 hour once a week and do resistance training for 20-30 minutes three days a week.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Also, you need a place to set down the colostomy bag you carry your vagina around in.
  • greeneyes972
    Options
    Okay firstly I shoot you down as you tried to say I can manage on less sleep I CAN'T it's not that I don't want to I CAN'T I have had to put this in caps as you do not seem to understand this.

I am alot older than you and I cannot function on less sleep so getting up 30 mins earlier is not an option please stop banging on about it.

Washing sports bras was a suggestion someone said about only doing laundry once a week I obviously wash other things and they need ironing etc which I physically have to be there to do.

Wind down time cannot be cut down it's the time I need prior to going to sleep it's about half an hour.

Core is one of the most important parts of my exercise routine due to major back issues.

I didn't actually ask for help as such I asked how people manage to fit in their epic gym sessions

Well it sounds like you've decided what your priorities are. What does it matter what other people do with their lives? I really don't get this post...
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options

The Gym opening times are not an issue it's just that it's a treak to the gym and my gym workout is 2 hours long so I can only really do it at the weekend.
    Then change your routine for the days you have less time.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Okay firstly I shoot you down as you tried to say I can manage on less sleep I CAN'T it's not that I don't want to I CAN'T I have had to put this in caps as you do not seem to understand this.

I am alot older than you and I cannot function on less sleep so getting up 30 mins earlier is not an option please stop banging on about it.

Washing sports bras was a suggestion someone said about only doing laundry once a week I obviously wash other things and they need ironing etc which I physically have to be there to do.

Wind down time cannot be cut down it's the time I need prior to going to sleep it's about half an hour.

Core is one of the most important parts of my exercise routine due to major back issues.

I didn't actually ask for help as such I asked how people manage to fit in their epic gym sessions

I haven't read through everything yet but here are some suggestions.
    Spend some time on a day off meal prepping for you your week. Like precook ur meals or just the meats and either set them aside in the fridge or freezer. Find some crockpot meals. This is a life saver for me

I'm 34 and love my sleep and yes if I go too many nights with very little sleep I get migraines so I kinda understand where you are coming from kinda some of it is just an excuse. Start off with 2 earlier mornings for lifting if that goes well add in the 3rd day keep in mind you have at least one day off between those so you could still get the sleep you need.
    I have 3 young kids 7,4 and almost 2 and yes I have my husband but he works long hours, I'm the one who works close to home with a full time job.

Schedule one of your lifting days on a day off so that's another day you can get your sleep in. Again I have only gotten to this point in the posts but when you ask for suggestions try them before knocking them down we are here to help. I agree we all have busy schedules and I finally got it that I had to put ME first

Since you have a long work day can you even get up and take a 5 min walk every hr or some body weight exercises.
    Good luck to you and now I'm going to finish reading the posts.
  • codycsweet
    Options

What would you call an epic gym session?

It's just I see all these people who spend 4 hours at the gym or burn my whole calorie allowance in a workout.

Depending on what they are using they probably not that epic. MFP hugely over estimates calorie burns and it's not what others are doing it's what you do. Remember weightloss happens in the kitchen exercise is for fitness and heart health.
  • codycsweet
    Options
    I don't live with my boyfriend so I have to do my own washing and cleaning.

So you're doing laundry and cleaning the house every single day?? I do laundry once a week (on the weekend typically)and my gym clothes every day. Washing the gym clothes doesn't take all night.

Why not dedicate a few hours on the weekend and make/package all your lunches so you just grab-and--go in the morning? What time do you have to be at work for and is the gym close to your work? If it is then you can certainly suck it up and get up earlier in the morning and go to the gym a few times during the week.

You say your run 30-40 minutes. Is that a day? If it is then I'm not getting the lack of time thing because you don't need to workout for 2+ hours a day.

I run 30-40 minutes every night. I have a gym routine that I love which is about 2 hours long but I just can't do it atm.

What the heck are you doing for 2 hours at the gym? I mean seriously. I am at the gym for 75 minutes max most days. When I worked out at the fitness center in my office I had limited time and I was able to bang out a really good lifting session in less than hour. Seriously, what are you doing that takes so long?

1 hour of cardio (40 mins on the treadmill, 10 mins on the bike and 10 mins on the cross trainer) it's all interval training. The 20 minutes of weights and 20 minutes of core training then streching. My PT updates it monthly.

But you're already running 30-40 minutes a day so why are you doing an additional hour of cardio? Unless I am mistaking this.

I would like to do my workout but I don't have the time. I just can't work out how people fit it in.

If you're already running 40 minutes/day you don't need to do an hour of cardio a day in addition. You can fit both your lifting and your running in. You can fit in your 40 minute run and an hour of lifting.

It isn't in addition it's because I can't fit it in. Please can you tell me where I can fit in the hour of lift when I can only just fit in 40 mins of running.

Yes it's simple you don't do both every day rotate like there have suggested. I learned the hard way you can only do so much. Or wait till after ur 19k to add lifting.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Try meal prepping on weekends, this way you have more free time during the week. Also, maybe focus on gym time on weekends when you aren't working and keep up cardio during the week. Since deficit is all about the week vs. Daily deficits. Good luck, you will figure it out:)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I don't live with my boyfriend so I have to do my own washing and cleaning.

So you're doing laundry and cleaning the house every single day?? I do laundry once a week (on the weekend typically)and my gym clothes every day. Washing the gym clothes doesn't take all night.

Why not dedicate a few hours on the weekend and make/package all your lunches so you just grab-and--go in the morning? What time do you have to be at work for and is the gym close to your work? If it is then you can certainly suck it up and get up earlier in the morning and go to the gym a few times during the week.

You say your run 30-40 minutes. Is that a day? If it is then I'm not getting the lack of time thing because you don't need to workout for 2+ hours a day.

I run 30-40 minutes every night. I have a gym routine that I love which is about 2 hours long but I just can't do it atm.

What the heck are you doing for 2 hours at the gym? I mean seriously. I am at the gym for 75 minutes max most days. When I worked out at the fitness center in my office I had limited time and I was able to bang out a really good lifting session in less than hour. Seriously, what are you doing that takes so long?

1 hour of cardio (40 mins on the treadmill, 10 mins on the bike and 10 mins on the cross trainer) it's all interval training. The 20 minutes of weights and 20 minutes of core training then streching. My PT updates it monthly.

But you're already running 30-40 minutes a day so why are you doing an additional hour of cardio? Unless I am mistaking this.

I would like to do my workout but I don't have the time. I just can't work out how people fit it in.

If you're already running 40 minutes/day you don't need to do an hour of cardio a day in addition. You can fit both your lifting and your running in. You can fit in your 40 minute run and an hour of lifting.

It isn't in addition it's because I can't fit it in. Please can you tell me where I can fit in the hour of lift when I can only just fit in 40 mins of running.

Yes it's simple you don't do both every day rotate like there have suggested. I learned the hard way you can only do so much. Or wait till after ur 19k to add lifting.

I do a body weight progression program. What is your goal for your 10k? You should be able to fit it in.
  • codycsweet
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

What do you suggest I cut???? Please tell me because I can't see anything I can cut???

Get up and go to the gym at 5am (they do open that early) which will give you an hour and a half before your scheduled "get up" time to put in a work out. shower at the gym if you have to do that in order to get to work on time (people do do that).
    Prep all your meals so you don't have to cook every night and all you have to do is heat it up. have enough clothes so that you don't have to wash until the weekend. go to sleep at a normal hour. get back up and do it again.

some people have excuses. And then others, make sacrifices.

Okay how the hell does that give me 8 hours sleep??????

If or when you have kids you will not being getting 8 full hrs of sleep enjoy it while you can.
  • codycsweet
    Options
    Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

Get up and go to the gym at 5am (they do open that early) which will give you an hour and a half before your scheduled "get up" time to put in a work out. shower at the gym if you have to do that in order to get to work on time (people do do that).
    Prep all your meals so you don't have to cook every night and all you have to do is heat it up. have enough clothes so that you don't have to wash until the weekend. go to sleep at a normal hour. get back up and do it again.

some people have excuses. And then others, make sacrifices.

Okay how the hell does that give me 8 hours sleep??????

Put yourself in someone else's shoes, like our SOLDIERS. If they can fight for our country and go days on days with no sleep, you can sacrifice. If a mom working two jobs and is struggling to maintain a house of kids can go on less hours of sleep, so can you. Quit making excuses. Tons of people go every night without 8 hours of sleep, and they manage just fine.

Are you a qualified doctor with access to my medical records? No.

I have to have a minium of 8 hours sleep or I get ill

I do not work in the armed forces due to the above and I cannot have children so I'm never going to be in that situation I am not making execuses.

Just because you may not be able to conceive or carry a child doesn't mean you can't.

There is adoption or step children. Never say never

YOU JUST ARENT READY FOR THE CHANGE and that's okay at some point you will be and I hope then you will try some f these suggestions.

focus on ur 10k then re-evaluate your workout needs. We can't do everything and we certainly can't if your not willing to make some type of change at this moment. A lot of people have given you some great ideas and you've shot them all down without even trying. I'm not your typically female can be ready and out the door in 20 min on a daily basis. Maybe look at making some morning time changes to get ready quicker. Just a thought
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Okay daily timetable
    6.30 - Get up
    7.30 - Leave the house
    8.30/8.45 - get to work
    6pm/6.30 - leave work
    7pm/7.30 - get home
    9.30/10pm - wind down
    10.30 - Sleep

First, you have all the time that you NEED. You have an hour each day to workout. That is all you really NEED. Run 3 days per week, and lift 3 days per week. Three days of running for an hour is enough to train for a 10k, I promise.

Now, if you WANT more time to workout, then it becomes a matter of priorities. Other people can give you suggestions, or tell you how they prioritize their time, but ultimately only you can decide what you are willing to give up in order to find more workout time.

-Since you are very clear that your 8 hours sleep is a priority, you need to find the time elsewhere. That would mean spend less time cooking, cleaning, showering, or getting ready in the morning.
    -Use Sunday as your prep for the week day. Do most of your cleaning, all your laundry, iron all your clothes for the week, prep food for lunches and dinners, precook meals for easy reheating during the week. This could save you 30-60 minutes daily during the week.
    -If you don't have enough laundry to last a full week, buy more.
    -Invest in a crockpot. Huge cooking timesaver!
    -Learn to love ponytails. I used to have very long thick hair. It would take forever to dry. Ponytails are a big timesaver. Often after my evening shower I would put my wet hair into a low loose ponytail and sleep in it that way. Then when I got up in the morning I would do a quick flatiron. Would take about half the time of a blowdry.
    -You don't need to completely cut any one thing. If you can cut 15 minutes from getting ready in the morning, and 15 minutes from cooking/cleaning/chores, that's an extra 30 minutes per day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've been giving a lot of thought to the concept of time lately,

I find making time for the gym is easier because I've decided to commit to my physical growth. So I find myself scheduling other things around my workout sessions. Social takes a back seat, time with my wife takes a back seat. I've even changed some of my work schedule for it.

If it is important to you, you'll make time for it. If it isn't important to you, you won't.

Just how it is.
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been giving a lot of thought to the concept of time lately,

I find making time for the gym is easier because I've decided to commit to my physical growth. So I find myself scheduling other things around my workout sessions. Social takes a back seat, time with my wife takes a back seat. I've even changed some of my work schedule for it.

If it is important to you, you'll make time for it. If it isn't important to you, you won't.

Just how it is.

^^^This. And when I stop doing it, my Nurse Practitioner yells at me for not making my fitness #1 priority.

It does help that my boss is a health nut himself, so he has no problem if I go workout at lunch or show up late or modify my schedule to accommodate a class.

However, I was just replying to say that the OP has workout time in the schedule she posted. If that's working for you, then why worry that some of us are going to the gym longer? Just do what fits into your schedule. If that's not enough, start finding more time. If you have a 24-hour gym in your area, I recommend it. And also, once you modify your sleep schedule (for example, I am not a morning person but yoga is at 6 a.m.), you will get used to it and not be dragging.

Lastly, all you folks sleeping on cots at your gym. Wimps. I just roll out my yoga mat. ;)