What is the weirdest weight loss advice you've ever had?

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    30 bananas a day diet. So stupid.

Isn't that nearly 4000 calories!?

it gets worst, 30 bananas a day is just a slogan. Some followers of that diet, especially the girl that made is popular, eats 50-60 a day.

holy moly, I could not eat 3 bananas a day, and I really LIKE bananas...wow
  • jmcdonald2011
    jmcdonald2011 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    the half diet - where you can eat as much as you want in a day as long as you eat half and throw the other half away. so if you want to eat 40 chocolate bars go for it. just only eat half the bar and chuck the other half.

watermelon is "reverse calories" you burn more calories eating it than are actually in the watermelon.

by a dance teacher when I was a teenager - after every meal drink black coffee and eat exlax. :huh: because at 5'6" and 103lbs I should really lose some weight. (I didn't do that btw)
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The 5 bite diet.
    At your meal time you can have 5 bites of ANY one food you enjoy and you will lose weight.

huge+spoon.jpg

LOL I AM DYING
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Don't eat processed food. Or anything with sugar. Or carbs, carbs are evil too. Oh yeah, and then there's salt, things with salt are super bad. Oh hell, everything is off limits! Just eat air!

Ok, the last part was my own, but yeah. Pretty much this.

:laugh:
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Not advice given to me, but I heard a woman telling her friend once that she doesn't eat any melons because they, especially watermelon, 'have the opposite effect on weight loss." Apparently melons are magic.

In for magic melons.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:

If you go by some of the reviews on sugar-free gummie bears, I'm pretty sure they're essentially laxatives.

I think it's because of a lot of the sugar free ones use sugar alcohols (xylitol and whatnot) and most people start to have digestive issues -- cramping, the runs, etc. -- after 20 or so grams of sugar alcohols. This is something a lot of low carbers discovered with a lot of the "low carb" chocolates and candies (used to be just for diabetics before the low carb craze).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Don't eat processed food. Or anything with sugar. Or carbs, carbs are evil too. Oh yeah, and then there's salt, things with salt are super bad. Oh hell, everything is off limits! Just eat air!

Ok, the last part was my own, but yeah. Pretty much this.

:laugh:

I also heard just today don't eat red meat!

So I suppose we're left with... ... fish and chicken after we get rid of the fats too. Oh wait... even the lean cuts of those have fat...

So let's go with the Sunshine diet! Clearly is the only option left.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I get annoyed with logic behind why people follow Trending diets like Paleo, the idea that I will lose weight and be healthier like Humans from the paleolithic era because I'm eating the way they did. Have you ever met someone from that era and thought to yourself, man he looked good? Also pretty sure humans from that era also had to hunt for their food, went long periods of time without food and probably didn't live much longer than 30-40 years at a time due to sickness and disease and other factors attributed to lack of technology and modern medicine.

I have nothing against the idea of avoiding processed foods if that's someone's personal preference, but why not call paleo the no processed foods diet? I recognize that paleo does work for some people but that isn't surprising if you think about it, imagine how easy it might be to stay under your calorie goal if you can't eat fast food, drink sugared sodas, fried chicken and etc. If I ate nothing but whole foods meats, veggies and fruits and didn't add processed food, oils and butters I'm pretty sure I could stay under my calorie goal too. I would just miss all of my favorite foods and once I stopped the Paleo diet just go right back to my bad habits. All that work learning how to be good at paleo wasted in the end.

If you lose weight on a diet it's because you consumed less calories than you burned which can be achieved by diet alone or in combination with exercise and activity. You can totally gain weight on paleo if you eat at a surplus, there's no magic behind it.

Well, there is more theory behind it than just non-processed foods, and it's still evolving, so you'll see different variations. The Paleo part itself just seems to be mostly a marketing gimick, though I imagine there were groups of people in certain areas of the world that ate very similarly to the diet during the Paleolithic area (just not all people in the world during that time). And some of the variations incorporate more than just the diet -- but lifestyle changes that mimic some of the other things seen in that time (like more emphasis on lifting heavy and high volume, low intensity cardio like lots of walking/hiking, etc.).

More than anything, I see the Paleo diet and its variations more of a response to issues more and more people are having with certain things in the modern diet -- whether it's reactions to gluten, lactose, casein, etc. And folks with some of these reactions find that they do shockingly better on such diets -- many of which diet even know they had these sensitivities until they tried the diet. So it does seem sort of miraculous to them. But Autoimmune, Gastrointestinal Sensitivities Diet is a mouthful. Paleo is easier.
  • Tal_Kyrte
    Tal_Kyrte Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been told that drinking apple cider vinegar will make you lose weight. Yuck! Not to mention how painful that sounds, wouldn't all the acidity be bad for the lining of your stomach?

I've also been told that you have to drink HOT water to lose weight. It literally "melts" the fat off. LOL. That's why we're all fat now in America, our water is just too cold!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    The 5 bite diet.
    At your meal time you can have 5 bites of ANY one food you enjoy and you will lose weight.

huge+spoon.jpg

I constantly get people telling me that once I lose a bit more weight, I won't be diabetic anymore. I wish, but I've been diabetic since I was 2 lol. There are different kinds.

Oh and my coworkers new diet...you aren't supposed to eat fat and carbs at the same time, otherwise you can't lose weight :/

Yes, this is very common for me also. I have both type 1 and type 2. I'm making progress with the type 2, but as you know, I will never ever ever get rid of type 1. In fact, I had someone argue with me once that he started as a type 2 and became a type 1 (pretty common so far), and that he lost weight and still has type 1, but has been off insulin for 2 years. I responded by explaining why that could not possibly be true because he would be dead if he had type 1 and didn't take insulin for 2 years. After I explained the science to him and we argued for awhile, he just said "I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree." Ugh! This is why type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes should have totally f***ing different names.

End rant.

I've never heard it explained this way, are you referring to LADA 1 or 1.5?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    the half diet - where you can eat as much as you want in a day as long as you eat half and throw the other half away. so if you want to eat 40 chocolate bars go for it. just only eat half the bar and chuck the other half.

watermelon is "reverse calories" you burn more calories eating it than are actually in the watermelon.

by a dance teacher when I was a teenager - after every meal drink black coffee and eat exlax. :huh: because at 5'6" and 103lbs I should really lose some weight. (I didn't do that btw)

I like the watermelon idea... love watermelon, so I wish I could believe it and shred away the pounds eating something I love. *sigh* If only it were that easy...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    "Do Crossfit."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Previous co worker would tell her friend it was OK to borrow points from future days on Weight Watchers.
    One week they ran out of calories after I think 3 days of borrowing forward.

Same people who would wait until midnight to order from dominoes pizza and eat the whole thing because i twas a new day with a new allotment of 'points'

That's funny
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:

If you go by some of the reviews on sugar-free gummie bears, I'm pretty sure they're essentially laxatives.

Yes they are. My son hates ice cream (Pretty sure he might be the only 5 year old on earth who hates ice cream.) so when we go to get ice cream, he gets a bag of candy. When he was 3 he ate 1/2 bag of sugar-free gummy bears. I didn't realize they were sugar free until about 1.5 hours later when I hear my husband screaming from the basement "OH MY GOD! HELP!" I go running down there because I think someone got hurt and there is poop everywhere. Poop on the walls, on the furniture, carpet. My poor child is frozen like a deer in headlights because he doesn't know what is happening. The weird thing is he was wearing a pull up and pants. The poop shot out with such force that it volcano erupted from his clothing. I swear this isn't even an exaggeration. It was insane. Then I saw the bag of gummy bears on the kitchen counter with the "sugar free" label. They went straight to the trash. lol Now we inspect his candy before he eats it. lol

I think that is the hardest I ever laughed at a post. Not cool since I'm at work :wink: I actually formed a mental image of this which didn't help. My commander now thinks I am out of my mind.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    the negative calorie foods, you know - the ones you can eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT because they take more calories to digest than they actually contain. i was recently told this list includes celery, watermelon, broccoli, green peppers, and mushrooms.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This thread made me proper giggle ????????
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    To eat everything with a fork, including french fries. Because apparently people get fat through their fingers.

I'm not even kidding, that was really the theory they were operating under, that fingers soak up the stuff that ultimately makes us fat.

That reminded me of this.

H802hF1.gif

I can't think of anything weird at the moment.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Someone told me to try coffee enemas. Didn't work at all plus it tasted terrible! I'll stick to using my coffee machine!

Lol that tickled me!
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    the negative calorie foods, you know - the ones you can eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT because they take more calories to digest than they actually contain. i was recently told this list includes celery, watermelon, broccoli, green peppers, and mushrooms.

I do imagine if you were just eating those things, you'd likely have a pretty big calorie deficit. Those are all pretty low calorie, high volume foods, so it does make sense in some way.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I haven't received this advice personally, but I read a diet plan online about how eating a tablespoon of oil an hour before meals will make you lose weight. I was thinking, "Yeah duh, because I'd feel so gross after eating oil straight." Heh. Apparently you would only need like 500 calories worth of food because the rest of the calories came from oil.