What is the weirdest weight loss advice you've ever had?

Options

Replies

• strassenkoenigin
    Options
    At my age I have lived through a lot of diet fads.

But this story is about a diet advice which actually worked.
    After not seeing her for a few months I met a friend who was always chubby and she was suddenly slender, her skin and her hair had improved , she looked absolutely beautiful.
    Of course I was curious to know how she got there.
    "Pasta and tomato sauce" was the answer. Obviously she had consulted a dietician who determined that this was what she should be eating and the result was convincing. It did not work for me. But of course I did not consult the dietician.
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just something I heard on tv years ago from Fergie: "I stay thin by drinking a shot of vinegar everyday. That's it."

Idk why celebrities feel compelled to tell everyone they don't workout or diet. Quite the opposite, they just laze about inhaling pudding.

Bruh...
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    the negative calorie foods, you know - the ones you can eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT because they take more calories to digest than they actually contain. i was recently told this list includes celery, watermelon, broccoli, green peppers, and mushrooms.

I do imagine if you were just eating those things, you'd likely have a pretty big calorie deficit. Those are all pretty low calorie, high volume foods, so it does make sense in some way.

sure, if you ate only those things. but there's no such thing as negative calorie foods... http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/negative-calorie-foods/faq-20058260
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    the negative calorie foods, you know - the ones you can eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT because they take more calories to digest than they actually contain. i was recently told this list includes celery, watermelon, broccoli, green peppers, and mushrooms.

I do imagine if you were just eating those things, you'd likely have a pretty big calorie deficit. Those are all pretty low calorie, high volume foods, so it does make sense in some way.

sure, if you ate only those things. but there's no such thing as negative calorie foods... http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/expert-answers/negative-calorie-foods/faq-20058260

No, I agree. But, when people are looking to lose weight, you rarely see someone say "hey, you really need to cut back on your broccoli/celery/mushroom consumption." That's why I said it makes sense in some way, regardless of the whole negative calorie fallacy.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options

No, I agree. But, when people are looking to lose weight, you rarely see someone say "hey, you really need to cut back on your broccoli/celery/mushroom consumption." That's why I said it makes sense in some way, regardless of the whole negative calorie fallacy.

lol cut back on your broccoli/celery/mushroom consumption. true - those foods that are wrongly considered negative calorie foods are usually good foods to add to your diet.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've been told that drinking apple cider vinegar will make you lose weight. Yuck! Not to mention how painful that sounds, wouldn't all the acidity be bad for the lining of your stomach?

I've also been told that you have to drink HOT water to lose weight. It literally "melts" the fat off. LOL. That's why we're all fat now in America, our water is just too cold!
    Well, no. Your stomach lining is designed to resist (its own) acidity. How do you digest your food w/o stomach acid?
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The weirdest weight loss advice I get is every morning here on MFP when the spam hits. That **** is wack.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've also heard the one about not eating carbs and proteins at the same time because they are digested by different enzymes which cancel each other out , but wouldn't that make you lose weight not gain it! LOL
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I had a colleague tell me all you needed to eat was a handful of walnuts and a cup of blueberries instead of regular food. It would have everything you need, you wouldn't be hungry and you would lose weight.

I never tried it...but he was crazy on other things so it was part of the package.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The commercial that states that overweight people can take weight loss pills and lose weight without changing their diets.

Sure that would work!

Big Fat Eyeroll!
  • cazziecoo
    cazziecoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I attended two weeks of slimming world with friends and we were told that we could eat unlimited pasta and should eat grapefruit every day. Unsurprisingly, most of the group was gaining weight instead of losing, which they were told was because they were eating the wrong type of brown bread. :huh:

I ate all the fruit, veg , potatos, pasta on slimming world and lost 3stone!! Just got bored if it in the end!

I lost almost 2st on slimming world a while back but I got annoyed that I could only eat certain brands of food off a list that were "Syn Free" when the exact same thing from a different supermarket was the same calories but was not "sun free" because it wasn't on the list.

We also got encouraged to eat as much and as often as we liked of the foods on another list - in the end my weight loss hit a standstill because I was gorging on homemade chips all day long with no portion control! I also got sick of eating dried packet food because it was Syn free.... MEH
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    This isn't something I heard, but in my younger days when I wanted to drop 10-15 lbs, I'd switch to hard liquor and not drink beer. LOL! Work out? Uuhhhh, there's booze to consume and hijinks to be made!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    The weirdest weight loss advice I get is every morning here on MFP when the spam hits. That **** is wack.

You mean I can't black magic my fat away along with my ex boyfriend and my money troubles?
  • SoftasRaine
    SoftasRaine Posts: 88 Member
    Options

8. "You should take diuretics, I heard it helps jump start weight loss!" Because who doesn't want to shart themselves every time they blink?!

omg i can't stop laughing!!!!! lmao

i have tons myself.... ugh!

"do you know how many calories are in that americano?!"

you're eating that whole apple?!
    yeah...
    well, that's probably why you're fat

"you should eat avacado mashed with coconut oil with every meal."

"the trick is eat under 800 calories a day! it keeps you surprisingly full and energetic!"
  • UsernameisNick
    Options
    I've been told before to take plenty of laxatives to lose weight. I suppose technically it works short term :laugh:
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've been told before to take plenty of laxatives to lose weight. I suppose technically it works short term :laugh:

One five-pound bag of sugar-free gummy bears, coming up!
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ugh. People who try and tell me that going gluten-free or vegan will magically make me lose weight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I have actually been told by a dietitian, a physician, and a nurse practitioner that eating carbs within a certain amount of time before bed can impact fat burning. Their reasoning is that carbs are burnt off first for energy before fat. So if you do your workouts in the mornings, not eating carbs for dinner helps to burn more fat in that morning workout since your body has no carbs to burn off for energy. I read an article recently about research that supports this idea but I don't remember where. I'll look for it.

You're probably thinking of short-term studies, where they didn't measure actual body fat lost, they measured markers (signs) of fat burning during a very short period. Most long-term studies paint a different picture. This 6 month study found that carbs at night actually increased fat loss:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

Exercising in a fasted state only burns more fat if the exercise is low intensity (easy) according to research. If the exercise is vigorous (like it usually is) your energy output will probably be lower, and you're more likely to burn muscle as fuel, through the process of gluconeogenesis (your doctor can confirm this). It's only a small amount of muscle burned, but it's still not a favorable state to be in.

A calorie deficit trumps everything else when it comes to long-term fat loss.
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options

One five-pound bag of sugar-free gummy bears, coming up!

LMAO!!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    30 bananas a day diet. So stupid.

I just read a blog about an "Egg Fast Diet" where you eat only eggs, cheese and butter for five days! I like eggs, cheese and butter but if that's all I get to eat for five days I may kill someone! Either with my aggressive attitude or some fatal gas! :noway:

Butter on top of cheese eggs doesn't sound that tasty. In fact, it might make me retch...