What is the weirdest weight loss advice you've ever had?

Options

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter burns your fat very quickly.... Oh.....,..

I wish this one was true!!!!
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:

If you go by some of the reviews on sugar-free gummie bears, I'm pretty sure they're essentially laxatives.

Yes they are. My son hates ice cream (Pretty sure he might be the only 5 year old on earth who hates ice cream.) so when we go to get ice cream, he gets a bag of candy. When he was 3 he ate 1/2 bag of sugar-free gummy bears. I didn't realize they were sugar free until about 1.5 hours later when I hear my husband screaming from the basement "OH MY GOD! HELP!" I go running down there because I think someone got hurt and there is poop everywhere. Poop on the walls, on the furniture, carpet. My poor child is frozen like a deer in headlights because he doesn't know what is happening. The weird thing is he was wearing a pull up and pants. The poop shot out with such force that it volcano erupted from his clothing. I swear this isn't even an exaggeration. It was insane. Then I saw the bag of gummy bears on the kitchen counter with the "sugar free" label. They went straight to the trash. lol Now we inspect his candy before he eats it. lol

I think that is the hardest I ever laughed at a post. Not cool since I'm at work :wink: I actually formed a mental image of this which didn't help. My commander now thinks I am out of my mind.

If you really want a laugh (and ltos more of the same), read the Amazon reviews of sugar free gummy bears. Funniest. Thing. Ever.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Another take on the magic meal timing thing, overheard yesterday at work: to lose weight you can't eat within 40 minutes of waking up. The person who said this said he read it Men's Health so it must be true.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bumping, b/c funniest thread ever.
  • EmpressZhark
    EmpressZhark Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    That celery is calorie-negative, because you burn more calories digesting it than it contains. I've heard similar things about chewing ice cubes too - your body burns more calories to warm the ice up, so the more ice you eat the more calories you burn.

Whilst I'm sure eating ice cubes does technically burn calories, the effect will be incredibly minimal and have no impact on weightloss at all.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Another take on the magic meal timing thing, overheard yesterday at work: to lose weight you can't eat within 40 minutes of waking up. The person who said this said he read it Men's Health so it must be true.

Oh, so that's my problem, is it?

Well, I have news for Men's Health: in the battle between sleep and pretty much everything else, sleep ALWAYS wins.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    HCG diet.....
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    This isn't something I heard, but in my younger days when I wanted to drop 10-15 lbs, I'd switch to hard liquor and not drink beer. LOL! Work out? Uuhhhh, there's booze to consume and hijinks to be made!

Ha! Same (still do this. Oh vodka and diet coke after work instead of a pint... BECAUSE THE CALORIES THE CALORIES.

The hangover....the hangover. End up eating the calories back the next morning at Greggs anyways.)
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was told by a supposedly genuine medical doctor at my HMO that men only need 1200 calories per day. So I should eat 1200 calories per day to maintain. Then if I want to lose weight, walk for 30 minutes a few times per week, which burns 400 calories.

Suffice it to say he was not my doctor any longer.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I was recently told by a friend about the wish it away diet that you don't have to count calories and you magically lose weight. She is convinced that using visualization about how you want to look and feel is all you need to lose weight. Apparently she seen this on some talk show recently. I don't know. Of course she hasn't lost any weight yet, poor girl.

I try to talk sense into her but she just tells me counting calories and watching the portion sizes are "too hard" she will just keep at it. She finally stopped trying to press it on me so I don't really care. I put it out there my offer of help. If somebody doesn't want it, I cant do anything but sit back and shut up.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Not advise given to me, but I have friends who won't eat things like avocados, peanuts/peanut butter, or other high-fat natural foods because apparently all fat is bad and fat makes you fat. Not calories.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ah the power of magical thinking!

Someone once told me to write out what I wanted on a piece of paper then rip it up and throw it into the wind. If I really wanted it bad enough the "Universe" would then provide it to me.

I don't know but it just sounded like littering to me :laugh:
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    these stupid body wraps and waist cinchers. I hate em! its everywhere and I wish they would just go away. its not the way to lose weight
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    accupunture on my ears + chicken stock and papaya juice for 2 weeks

oh and this: inyecting my body with CO2 (every inch or so, on EVERY BIT of my body) so fat would "turn to liquid".

Yeah, my mum and her obsession with my weight got me on both of those.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    A waiter the other night told me to not drink water for one hour before or after any meal. He said something about concentrating the digestive enzymes so your body digests the food more effectively. And, this advice was from a nutritionist he "knew while living in LA, where you know, nutrition is EVERYTHING". And also? this was Angelina Jolie's nutritionist, so you know it's good information.

I smiled as I sipped my water with lemon.

My coworker says the same thing! I always drink a water bottle during my meals so I don't overeat and that's what keeps me in line and she told me I might as well eat garbage because I'm drinking water at the same time and it will just flush everything right out of my system.

There IS an exception to this being BS. The only time this is solid advice is if you have a gastric surgery. You aren't supposed to drink anything for 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after. My fiancée's mother had the sleeve and she usually has to wait an hour or else she gets sick. But other than that? I have my 32 oz cup with me at all times! LOL
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I just spent like twenty minutes explaining to my coworker that since I calorie count, I log vegetables. She insists that the calories in veggies are so small it doesn't matter. I can understand where she is coming from. 30 calories of zucchinni doesn't sound like much. But when I on;y have 1700 calories in a day the veggies add up and overeating is overeating. She just doesn't get it.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:

If you go by some of the reviews on sugar-free gummie bears, I'm pretty sure they're essentially laxatives.

Yes they are. My son hates ice cream (Pretty sure he might be the only 5 year old on earth who hates ice cream.) so when we go to get ice cream, he gets a bag of candy. When he was 3 he ate 1/2 bag of sugar-free gummy bears. I didn't realize they were sugar free until about 1.5 hours later when I hear my husband screaming from the basement "OH MY GOD! HELP!" I go running down there because I think someone got hurt and there is poop everywhere. Poop on the walls, on the furniture, carpet. My poor child is frozen like a deer in headlights because he doesn't know what is happening. The weird thing is he was wearing a pull up and pants. The poop shot out with such force that it volcano erupted from his clothing. I swear this isn't even an exaggeration. It was insane. Then I saw the bag of gummy bears on the kitchen counter with the "sugar free" label. They went straight to the trash. lol Now we inspect his candy before he eats it. lol

Oh the poor little guy. I shouldn't be laughing as hard as I am when I think of his little face and how he must have looked!
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I can't remember which piercing I was getting, rook or conch, but I was asked several times if it was to lose weight. Apparently, it's supposed to make the weight just drop off? It hurt my ear whenever I would chew, so I suppose if someone were to abandon eating as a result, it could work? :laugh:

Whenever I visit my grandmother, who is well into her 70's, she tries to show me exercises. On my last visit, she was showing me how to do leg lifts all the while explaining that I should eat a strict diet of grapefruit. That one isn't really weird...it just makes me smile.

It's also suggested that I tan. Not only would it look better than being fat and pale,but it increases circulation. Also, the heat will cause me to sweat and burn more calories. I didn't have a response for that one.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I have also heard the "don't combine fat and carbs" thing.

You can eat bread. You can eat butter. But as soon as you put the butter on the bread...BOOM. Fat.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    HerbaLife. ..I have friends who are" coaches" and always see them on FB talking about how good it is and all these people who have had good results. I'm just like what's going to happen when you go back to eating regularly. O, and they have a children's line smh