What to wear to the gym?

OK, so after saying I can't get to the gym an offer for a free 1 month trial membership arrived at my door. I'm tempted to try it out but I don't know what is appropriate to wear. When I work out at home I just wear a pair of running shorts and sports bra UNDER a T shirt.

I think the running shorts won't be a good idea at the gym for obvious reasons and the T-shirt might look a bit old fashioned. I don't want to show a lot of skin, no belly for sure. So anyone got any ideas?

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    OK, so after saying I can't get to the gym an offer for a free 1 month trial membership arrived at my door. I'm tempted to try it out but I don't know what is appropriate to wear. When I work out at home I just wear a pair of running shorts and sports bra UNDER a T shirt.

I think the running shorts won't be a good idea at the gym for obvious reasons and the T-shirt might look a bit old fashioned. I don't want to show a lot of skin, no belly for sure. So anyone got any ideas?

how about some sweatpants?:blushing:
  • afk1
    afk1 Posts: 88 Member
    hi .... when I went to the gym and now that I am back going to the gym....i wear either sweat pants or capri pants and a tee shirt....I am there for me and dress comfortably.....I am not there for a fashion statement or show, I am there for ME....to get healthy, to learn to get healthy.....to work on me. I say wear what you are comfortable in ....wear what is appropriate to be seen in public obviously but be comfortable.....can't work out if you are concerned about something ripping, tearing or falling out of something that maybe stylish...........you will do just fine......you will be great........add me as a friend, let me know how you are doing.........promise to do the same, we can keep one another on track......exchange our progress :smile:
  • WreckaRed
    WreckaRed Posts: 116 Member
    I wear yoga pants and a tank. Don't like it? Don't look. I am not there to be fashionable!
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    I wear a pair of stretchy pair of workout capris, my sports bra, and a T-Shirt (or spaghetti strap depending on how hot it is here). Sometimes my shirts even have holes in them. I'm not dressing to impress at the gym. I'm going to work out, sweat and then go home. I know some people really like to match and get extra motivation from buying workout clothes, but that's not me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Wear what you're comfy in. Nothing wrong with running shorts.
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    I have the same problem, id like to wear shorts and a tshirt, but id feel weird showing my legs in public. I think id get too warm in sweatpants. But I'm too body concious to wear shorts....
    Add me :)
    I'm so scared about joining the gym, I will in September, my college gym is cheap enough for me to join
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I am 58. I wear loose Capri pants, a T shirt and a sports bra in the gym. I agree about the T shirt looking old fashioned, I am going to get some loose fitting under armour type shirts.

For the pool I wear a dolphin aquatard. It has longer legs, mid thigh. It's not glamorous but that is where I do most of my exercise.

Wear what you are comfortable in, and what you think looks nice.

Send Me a FR if you'd like. :smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I wear matching workout clothes to the gym but that is because I want to. Wear what you like.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    There's nothing wrong with wearing running shorts to the gym. Plenty of people do it. You'll see people in yogas, shorts, sweatpants, even jeans. You'll see people in hoodies, long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts, tank tops, and sports bras.

Wear what you feel comfortable in. No one cares what you are wearing (as long as it's not your birthday suit).
  • Go with what makes you comfortable!

There's nothing wrong with shorts, if that is your preference. Unless the cheeks are hanging out of the back...?

I wear whatever I feel is great for the day - tank, short sleeve shirt, shorts, pants, or whatever.

For the record, I've never been to a gym where people really just workout in a sports bra and shorts, so definitely don't feel obligated to look a certain way :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    I have the same problem, id like to wear shorts and a tshirt, but id feel weird showing my legs in public. I think id get too warm in sweatpants. But I'm too body concious to wear shorts....
    I'm so scared about joining the gym, I will in September, my college gym is cheap enough for me to join

Your college charges you to use the gym?!?!?! :noway:
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    The answer is, whatever you're comfortable in. Obviously there's some level of dress code (some gyms say no jeans which really...don't work out in jeans haha, or flip flops, etc.), but for the most part rock what you want. When I started, I was really insecure, and I work shorts to the knees and big baggy t-shirts. As I go I realized I'm way too hot wearing that much, so my shorts have gotten shorter and I tend to wear tank tops (I like showing all my tats anyway).
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    just wear your smile
  • loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member

Yes, but its only 60euro for the college year. Don't all colleges charge for the gym?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Yes, but its only 60euro for the college year. Don't all colleges charge for the gym?

Not here in Merrica.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I think the running shorts won't be a good idea at the gym for obvious reasons

Huh? What obvious reasons? People wear running shorts to the gym all the time.

"Appropriate:" is all the necessary parts covered and you're comfortable. That's pretty much it. Just check if your gym has a dress code and follow that.

I wear running shorts and T-shirts, yoga pants, tank tops -- whatever. I'm most worried about comfort. I see people in all sorts of different clothes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Not here in Merrica.
    Most colleges here (Merica) charge an activity or facilities fee in the tuition and it covers things like the on-campus gym. So, we do pay it but it's an auto charge and not just for people who want to use that specific amenity.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    I usually wear some type of moisture-wicking top like Nike Dry Fit or Under Armour. I wear gym shorts during the summer and on the days I do weights, I have a pair of black stretchy shorties (that I use under tennis skirts without the built -in shorts) that I wear underneath. You could do the same with a pair of bike shorts or compression shorts. I also have some Under Armour capris that I like. They are form fitting, so I usually wear a looser top with them. The main thing is to be comfortable. I like these wicking fabrics because they dry quickly when you work up a sweat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    You *may* be overthinking this
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Wear whatever you are comfortable in that isn't too loose. I wear a pair of mesh gym shorts and a t-shirt.