What to wear to the gym?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm just want to feel comfortable and not stick out....... Last time I was in a gym was before my kids were born, over 14 yrs ago.
    Please don't leave me hanging! What is the "obvious" reason for not wearing running shorts???
  • happieukjen
    happieukjen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi my first session at the gym on Sunday I wore a tshirt and capri length leggings.. I really enjoyed it and decided to take up a subscription at a local gym :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    A: wear something that doesn't stink
    B: wear something that covers your "junk"
    C: that is all I have

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'll wear what I want, and the ladies love it.

"Excuse me sir, I can see your testicles...and you stink."
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I wear matching workout clothes to the gym but that is because I want to. Wear what you like.

me too. I have a whole drawer just for workout and swimming wear. I actually plan my outfit the night before. Thanks to goodwill I have picked up some really cute stuff. Wear what you will feel comfortable in and wont get too hot in. Nobody will care what you wear. You are your worst critic. Everyone else will be focused on what they are doing. Have fun and get sweaty. Good for you for joining a gym.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Just get there. I treated myself to some nicer stylish stuff after I started seeing results this year. If you want to cover your tush and to wear a t-shirt, the plainer the better. The less Disney characters the less old fashioned. Even a white or black V neck. You can do leggings or boot-leg yoga pants if you want something less old fashioned than sweat pants.

(People are saying it's not a fashion show and no-it's not, but it's OKAY to give thought about what you're wearing to the gym. If not for comfort, for feeling hot too :))
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Stretchy running Capri's, and a racer back tank....comfy!
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I seriously just wear whatever clothes I wear at home to the gym. Like sweatpant and a simple shirt or something old and stretchy so I can do yoga.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Glad he has confidence, but I don't want to be that guy or gal :)

so what if you are?

WHO CARES.

point being - you're over thinking it. I wear sweats- fitted capris- or shorts so short my vagina is quiet in danger of falling out.

yes people notice the shorts.

Stop over thinking it.

put on clothes that don't make you self conscious- you're going to be self conscious enough obviously- if over sized sweats and shirt make you feel blended in- wear them then.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    T shirts are old fashioned?

I wear capris and a t shirt. Usually one with something motivational printed on it, sometimes without.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Capri length yoga pants and tanks with a sports bra are my staples. Shirts that are too baggy are annoying and can also ride up so if you choose a tshirt, get one that's more fitted.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm never going to find out, am I? On my death bed, my last words are going to be, "Why shouldn't you wear running shorts to the gym?"

My family will be so disappointed.
  • Fredhatfield2
    Fredhatfield2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Shorts and a t shirt are fine. Wear some biker shorts under regular shorts if you'd like. The clothes shouldn't be too baggy, though... Reason being they can get in the way and/or be a bit of a hassle to move in, especially if you are using dumbbells. I suppose it's not that big of a deal, though. Just a thought.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    Go with the 80s look; one piece with hi-cut sides, sheer leotards and droopy legging-things. You'll compliment my Richard Simmons outfit nicely!
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You won't stick out. People wear all kinds of stuff at the gym. There is a guy in my gym that dresses like the 80's, wears headphones, and dances while intensely staring into his own eyes in the mirror. It's endearing.

There's a guy at my gym who always wears slacks...yes as though he is going to work business slacks and a lady who works out in her skirt and pantyhose. People just wear what is comfortable for them....I'm more of a workout compression pants, sports bra and tank person.
  • Leanbean65
    Leanbean65 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sounds uncomfortable, pantyhose? Really?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    <~~~ What I wear to the gym... sometimes I even wear a tank... it's too hot and humid here to worry about how much fat I'm showing and if others don't like it well then they can just:

giphy.gif

edited for my incorrect word usage.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, id like to wear shorts and a tshirt, but id feel weird showing my legs in public. I think id get too warm in sweatpants. But I'm too body concious to wear shorts....
    Add me :)
    I'm so scared about joining the gym, I will in September, my college gym is cheap enough for me to join

Your college charges you to use the gym?!?!?! :noway:

Yes, but its only 60euro for the college year. Don't all colleges charge for the gym?

When I was at university (I'm English) we had to pay for the gym.

I wear cropped gym trousers or leggings, a sports bra and a vest top (tank top to Americans) to the gym. I wear what's comfortable.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, id like to wear shorts and a tshirt, but id feel weird showing my legs in public. I think id get too warm in sweatpants. But I'm too body concious to wear shorts....
    Add me :)
    I'm so scared about joining the gym, I will in September, my college gym is cheap enough for me to join

Your college charges you to use the gym?!?!?! :noway:

Yes, but its only 60euro for the college year. Don't all colleges charge for the gym?

Not here in Merrica.

That's what I was going to say... At my university the only thing you had to pay for were the classes... but to use the weights or cardio machines, there was no fee.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a right or wrong thing to wear at th gym as long as it is comfortable for you. Some people like form fitting clothes while some like baggy clothes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My gym does not allow tank tops and sports bras are not supposed to be visible. It seems like most sports bra straps are set fairly narrowly, though, (racerbacks) so I break that rule all the time because my tops are mostly v-necks or scoopnecks as I hate crew neck shirts.

Anyway, I wear black capri leggings or shorts and t-shirts. I like tops that are a bit roomy but if I'm going to be using an exercise ball or push ups or planks where my shirt is likely to hang down, I'll wear my regular size.