I know you're a tourist because ....

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's too hot for you here. You are super pale and/or horribly sunburned in your "beach attire" that is way too small for your body. Your out of state license plate is a dead give away. You're probably just stopping to use the restroom on your way to someplace much cooler than this.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You actually like being in Times Square

You went to Red Lobster in Times Square.

You stop and stand in the middle of the sidewalk to take pictures of buildings.

It takes you three tries for you to swipe your Metrocard correctly.

It takes you more than 15 seconds to buy a train ticket.

You speak German, Japanese or French and your whole crew is dressed in expensive clothes.

You are Japanese and buying things in bulk at Tanger Outlet.

You hang out in Port Jeff, Riverhead, Montauk or the Hamptons. (these last two are specific to Long Island)

I don't even live in the city but I frequent it enough to spot the tourists, lol.
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You have no idea what a Grockle is (or that you are one)
    You feed the seagulls despite all the signs telling you not to
    You walk around with a map in your hand and still don't know where you are
    You get cream tea at a stupidly price cafe and then eat your scones wrong!!
    You walk in packs at a ridiculously slow speed

Seeing how im British i don't expect many people to get how annoying number 1 and 4 are!!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    -You don't bother visiting anything other than Disney, Universal or the Outlets instead of exploring the food scene, the music scene, the art scene, anything other than the parks.
    -You don't understand why locals don't go to the parks all the time
    -you're wearing a new Orlando/ Disney/ Universal/ Florida shirt
    -You want to feed the Gators
    -You're sunburnt
    -You want to swim in Gator-Infested water
    -You are confused that it rains everyday in summer
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You get off one of the many giant tour buses, and instantly reach for your camera.
    You comment on how "cute" the historic buildings and landmarks are.
    You find it reasonable that a local high end coffee shop charges $5.00 for a small latte.
    Even when everything in this city is laid out in a grid, you still get lost.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You are white, walking along our Riverwalk wearing a 20" Giant sombrero in the 100 freaking degrees..wearing shorts, tube socks and tennis shoes.. for Gods sakes... lose the hat and socks.. get some chanklas and a baseball cap....and put away that 12" camera around your neck before you get mugged walking back to your car you so ignorantly parked (cheaply) on the underpass/poorly lit at night and where the homeless people sleep... We're a hole different town by the light of day..

It's okay.. we know we live in a tourist town.. that's why locals avoid downtown like the plague !
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    you wear a "Boston" t shirt

you are ordering lobster at an expensive and stupid restaurant

you're driving slowly enough that the front end of my car is lodged firmly up your .....

you let your kid chase the shore birds (and you get to deal with me for that :wink: )

you have hair that doesn't move

your turn ....

Love this !.. If I ever get to the Boston area again.. I would go fishing with a wonderful group of gals that were an absolutely wonderful fishing team..., the time of my life !!!!!! Unfortunately, I get so little time off now..it's a pipe dream...
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You call it the Willis Tower.

Please...go away.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options

I was going to post something about the chain restaurants in Times Sq. But, considering I'm from NJ I feel like I have no authority as I could be considered a tourist myself ?
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You are surprised when I dont end my sentences with "eh".
    You ask me where I can buy real maple syrup.
    You ask me if there are gas stations between here and Alaska, and then look annoyed when I say you dont even need any further north because the polar bears will give you a push when you need it.
    You ask if you should wear a sweater on the tour. Never mind the Georgian accent, you are a tourist from a long lineage of tourists if you're worried about getting a bit chilly underground on a 35*C day. It's not cold, it's refreshing!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    - You think everyone acts just like the jersey shore cast
    - You ask if I know Snooki
    - You pronounce it "joisey" trying to be funny or maybe trying to fit in, who knows?
    - You don't know anything about the greatness of Taylor ham, egg & cheese (Or whatever "pork roll" for you south weirdos)
    - You're under the impression that the whole state smells like a grandma fart passing through an onion. Whatever bro..you're only like 15% right.
    - The phrase "mischief night" means nothing to you

Though I don't know why anyone would come to NJ for tourism, there ya go.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You're wearing cargo shorts and sneakers. Also you're with you're family and you're all wearing SHORTS. So many short pants at once, together, on the subway. Oye.

Also, dat haircut. On ladies, longer in the front and shorter up in the back.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    You don't know how to parallel park- or you stop traffic on a busy road for a few minutes while you try.

You don't realize that speed limits are the bare minimum.

You don't know how to change lanes without cutting someone off.

You take more than 5 seconds to change lanes.

You think driving an hour for food is excessive. Good food is worth it!

You ask locals if they ever met a famous actress or actor.

And as my sister that works at Fendi would say...they go into a designer store but aren't wearing expensive shoes, ring and/ or bag. You can look like crap but that salesperson recognizes who is serious by the shoes you wear.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love tourists.
    I love BEING a tourist.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You ask me for directions to the quay. (And when I start to answer you flounce off without listening and say, "Oh god, you're not even BRITISH!" Based on a true story.)
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You ask me the way to Loogabarrouga (Loughborogh) and pronounced "loffboro
    You think Warwick is produced "Warraway") pronounced warrick
    You ask me if I've ever met the Queen (well, actually, I have.....)
    You tell me that hot tea is gross (I think iced tea is gross...)
    You think English weather is crap - that's why England is GREEN - it rains a lot!

But I love tourists - keep bringing us your money!!
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Having made a few trips to Chicago I get these LOL
    You ask me for directions to Soldiers Field.

Never been to Chicago for football season but I knew where the stadium was
    You ask where you can get a good thin crust Chicago pizza.

Who the hell orders thin crust in Chicago?
    You think it's funny to us to imitate the SNL superfans.
    You actually refer to it as the magnificent mile.

Kept calling in Majestic Mile... gave up and just said Michigan Ave.
    You can't understand the traffic reports on the radio. (any Chicagoan will get this one)

I didn't understand anything that had to do with traffic and highways!
    You say soda.

I always say that and I am from an area that calls it Pop!
    You've never had Jay's potato chips.

Next time I go I will try these
    You think Wrigley Field is worth seeing.

As a baseball fan it was worth seeing. Plus my Brother in Law was playing for the Cubs at the time so it was a double win. I actually like that Ball Park compared to some of the others I have been too.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think this one works for any city...

You choose to eat at Hard Rock Cafe! Or Planet Hollywood!
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I was going to post something about the chain restaurants in Times Sq. But, considering I'm from NJ I feel like I have no authority as I could be considered a tourist myself ?

You're only a tourist in NY if your from Jersey if you come into the city to go to the clubs in the middle of winter and come without wearing a coat, even though the walk from the path train is three or four avenues. :)

You're a tourist if you get on the subway... at ANY stop... and ask, "Is this the train to New York?"
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wanna play!

Here are mine:

- You're downtown
    - You own a suit
    - It's summer and 100 degrees and you wore snowboots (or it's winter, 30 degrees, and snowing and you're *NOT* wearing the local uniform of snowboots with shorts and a hoodie).
    - It's summer, and you're so sunburned it hurts to look at you.
    - It's winter, and you're so sunburned it hurts to look at you.
    - You just passed out on the street from dehydration.
    - You just passed out on the street from altitude sickness.
    - You just passed out on the street because you visited your first dispensary and have no idea what you're doing.
    - You just passed out on the street because you thought you could drink at your normal lowlander pace.
    - In a city long-known for its truly incredible food, you want to visit the first Chipotle (or whatever other chain you like that started here). Or you went to Hard Rock Cafe. Downtown. Or Casa Bonita, when you learned it was a real place and not just something made up for South Park.
    - You look shocked and confused when it hails on a 90-degree day (or, in winter, when there's snow on the ground and it's 80 degrees).
    - You're either shocked that there are still so many Wild West towns still around, or shocked that we're not all still the Wild West towns of legend (and how you reconcile that with the equally weird notion that everybody skis and everybody smokes is beyond me).
    - You fail to understand why we keep a glowing-eyed, murderous scultpture at the airport to welcome tourists...