Be Smart... don't fall for Fads and scams :)

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    So Oreos, Doritos and other chips, ice cream, candy bars, fast food french fries, and etc aren't junk food?

Right...gotta bridge to sell ya in Antarctica...

Lie: (noun) "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.."

Certainly we are all literate enough to figure out "lying to yourself."
  • baconslave
    Options
    Like I said, tell yourself what you want. Nobody is taking your crack....er...I mean "junk food" away from you. Take it easy. Nobody's gonna make you go to rehab.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    So Oreos, Doritos and other chips, ice cream, candy bars, fast food french fries, and etc aren't junk food?

Lie: (noun) "a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.."

Says the person who has bacon, the utimate 'processed garbage', as a username. Strong logic
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

I am a personal trainer and I have been hearing so much talk about various fitness and diet fads that need to GO! As a public service announcement (per say) I just want all of you to be aware. You may notice that some of your "Friends and acquaintances" found an "AMAZING Product that WORKS and helps you lose weight by either:

-Drinking one of their "famous" healthy energy drinks
    -Taking Their "Fabulous supplements that promote weight loss (blah blah blah lol)
    -Wear a Body Wrap! I mean come on... Wraps can totally make you drop 20 lbs! (eye roll)
    - Or how about try their yummy Protein shakes that "studies" show can make you drop weight in 90 days AND win a BMW! WOW!

Okay... that was fun (Sorry for the sarcasm!) LOL, but I have clients and new client prospects that ask me all of the time about either buying or selling their so called perfect products. Can you believe some of them even claim: "You don't even have to exercise, the weight just falls off you!" Gahhhh it makes me cringe!

The reason I want you to all be careful is because many of them are scams and schemes. Sure, you could make money by choosing to sell the products yourself... but you are fooling your friends/family that you sell too. The products often are NOT all they are made out to be and some are actually bad. Since more often than not, it is someone you know that is trying to sell it to you, people will fall for the claims it makes. (Not to mention the CD's/Websites they use to make it seem way better than what it really offers.... aka: Good marketing people!)

I hope you ALL are successful in your Fitness Journeys! There is no TRICK or Fad way to get results. You gotta want it! You gotta push yourself to eat clean and exercise. Best of Luck to all of you! <3

xo

Katie

Overall a good message and this site frequently promotes the same views, but the highlighted portion is wrong. You don' t have to eat clean to be fit or healthy. In fact, many of us frequently hit our macro and micronutrient goals and fit in "junk" food on occasion. Let me preface with saying, that doesn't mean we aren't eating fruits, veggies and whole lean foods, it just means we can still eat pizza, burgers, etc.. and still lose weight.
    This. You don't have to eat clean or exercise to lose weight, but fir me eating less processed food and exercising each day has helped me feel loads better. I could not imagine beaver having another processed food, though.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I eat all of those things. I am not unhealthy simply because I eat those things, much like I don't become automagically healthy if I eat an apple. If that was all that I ate, yeah, it would become a problem, much like if I just ate some veggies for every meal it would become a problem because I wouldn't be hitting all my macros and micros. The thing with MFP clean eaters is that if you don't eat clean, then they declare you unhealthy and start talking to you as though all you eat is fast food, twinkies, and pop-tarts.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Probably a typo, but it fits so brilliantly for this conversation! :laugh:
    giphy.gif

This made me laugh. Thanks!!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Says the person who has bacon, the utimate 'processed garbage', as a username. Strong logic

Who is she even arguing with? :huh:
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

rebel-wilson-whoomp.gif
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Please explain why ice cream is junk food. What are your parameters to determine whether or not food qualifies as "junk"?

Nobody's getting upset -- you made a claim, and we're asking you to support it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I had Talenti's Tahitian Vanilla Bean gelato last night.

Ingredients: milk, sugar, cream, dextrose, vanilla, lemon and carob gum.

OH THE HORROR.

And the calories: for 100g - 200cals with macros being Carbs - 25g, Fat - 9g, and Protein - 4g, as well as micros of 6% Vit A and 15% Calcium.

It's so bad for me. So bad. Why? I don't know. Because it's just so bad for no reason other than it's ice cream. I mean, I can't have gotten anything out of that..nothing at all. I mean sure it helped me meet my macros and calcium for the day but still...it's ice cream so it just can't...CAN'T...be good. [/sarcasm]
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Eh, it's all some combo of macro and micronutrients. The 'fuel' you referred to is the calories, which are not clean or dirty. That's like saying an inch is ugly.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It always burns me when people make processed foods as the devil... I get it, it's semantics... but lets get real here, if there is cooking and preperation of food than it is by definition processed. Whether I make mac and cheese from a blue box or make the pasta from scratch and buy overpriced cheese that has come from grass fed free range cows that have never touched growth hormones or antibiotics in their life.

but as far as the rest of the OP... I getcha... I don't get it either. I would rather go about it in ways that don't result in quick and temporary fixes.

This is the one that usually gets me too. Demonizing food because it's "processed."

Plenty of perfectly nutritious foods are processed, sent through conveyor belts and automated processing like so many other things we eat. What about that makes them unhealthy?

People just don't understand where their food comes from. They still cling to the ideal of chickens roaming free on the farm and slaughtered one at a time by the farmer.

Baby carrots are a 100% processed food. When someone can tell me why they should be avoided I'll give this "processed foods are bad" nonsense a second look.

Exactly... On Friday there was a dermatologist that came in to talk on skin health and she ended it on the note of "eating clean and avoiding processed foods"... I almost blurted out loud enough "what like baby carrots and mashed potatoes?" the people around me heard me blurt it out though.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

There is more than one way to health... and for some that involves their favorite "junk" foods. Yesterday I relished in eating a cupcake... it had at least an inch of mint buttercream frosting on it and it was glorious and yes indeed was healthy for me... it perhaps didn't help my macros one iota (I don't know what the exact macro stats are because it was from a local bakery)... but that's ok, because I try to not eat that food often anymore... and it was good from a mental health perspective. How? I have been seeing this particular bakery's cupcakes for weeks now and have been wanting one. I bought them for a special occasion to share with my family.
  • arnostbilej
    Options
    I still see OP's "public announcement" as a thinly veiled marketing attempt ... aside from stating the obvious, her post does nothing but promote her as a fitness and nutrition "expert" ... so the gist of what I took away from her post is here is a piece of marketing to tell you not to fall for marketing. :wink:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    one of the mods said it in the 3rd reply of this very thread!

but i agree with everything else you said

No, he said you don't have to eat CLEAN. Who says only "clean" food is healthy? I'd argue that whole wheat bread is healthy, some people define clean as no processed foods.
    again its a discrepancy in definition. i define eating clean as eating nutrient dense foods, which to me is really the only logical definition, pretty much anything else is just based off of broscience
    That's not what they said.
    Overall a good message and this site frequently promotes the same views, but the highlighted portion is wrong. You don' t have to eat clean to be fit or healthy. In fact, many of us frequently hit our macro and micronutrient goals and fit in "junk" food on occasion. Let me preface with saying, that doesn't mean we aren't eating fruits, veggies and whole lean foods, it just means we can still eat pizza, burgers, etc.. and still lose weight.

There are tons of nutrient dense foods that wouldn't be considered clean though....
    to you. i would assume that to most a nutrient dense food is considered clean

what would be an example though out of curiosity?

Any canned vegetable/fruit, pre-made frozen turkey patties, frozen fruits/vegetables, peanut butter, a variety of nutrient dense cereals you can buy...

There are just a few.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If someone says "clean" diet, I generally assume they mean the following (unless, of course, they've specified that there is a reason to exclude one or more of the following):

lean meats, a variety of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, dairy, and whole grains.

However, for someone to immediately demonize any "unclean" or "junk" foods is a little unfair. Many people consider ice cream as "junk food" but I make it myself at home with cream, whole milk, sugar and vanilla extract. Not a single one of those ingredients is considered not "clean" and the only additional processing (you know, after milking the cow, pasteurizing the milk, refining the sugar from cane sugar, extracting the vanilla from vanilla beans...) is the freezing process in the ice cream maker. This is why I don't really pay much attention to people demonizing many "junk" foods off the top without a complete dietary profile.

I personally don't keep many "processed" foods in the house other than things like steel cut oats (processed - I don't just get a bunch of freshly cut oat from a field someplace and do it myself) and make treats from scratch. Does that mean I eat "cleaner" than other people who have other kinds of treats sometimes? No. Does that mean I eat less "clean" than people who never have treats? No. The only major difference is I don't tend to have many artificial preservatives other than refrigeration and that's mainly because my family just finds that homemade treats taste better.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

I am a personal trainer and I have been hearing so much talk about various fitness and diet fads that need to GO! As a public service announcement (per say) I just want all of you to be aware. You may notice that some of your "Friends and acquaintances" found an "AMAZING Product that WORKS and helps you lose weight by either:

-Drinking one of their "famous" healthy energy drinks
    -Taking Their "Fabulous supplements that promote weight loss (blah blah blah lol)
    -Wear a Body Wrap! I mean come on... Wraps can totally make you drop 20 lbs! (eye roll)
    - Or how about try their yummy Protein shakes that "studies" show can make you drop weight in 90 days AND win a BMW! WOW!

Okay... that was fun (Sorry for the sarcasm!) LOL, but I have clients and new client prospects that ask me all of the time about either buying or selling their so called perfect products. Can you believe some of them even claim: "You don't even have to exercise, the weight just falls off you!" Gahhhh it makes me cringe!

The reason I want you to all be careful is because many of them are scams and schemes. Sure, you could make money by choosing to sell the products yourself... but you are fooling your friends/family that you sell too. The products often are NOT all they are made out to be and some are actually bad. Since more often than not, it is someone you know that is trying to sell it to you, people will fall for the claims it makes. (Not to mention the CD's/Websites they use to make it seem way better than what it really offers.... aka: Good marketing people!)

I hope you ALL are successful in your Fitness Journeys! There is no TRICK or Fad way to get results. You gotta want it! You gotta push yourself to eat clean and exercise. Best of Luck to all of you! <3

xo

Katie

I agree with lemon here but I will add this as well
    Can you believe some of them even claim: "You don't even have to exercise, the weight just falls off you!" Gahhhh it makes me cringe!

You don't have to exercise to lose weight...that is for health. Lots of people lose all their weight without moving any more than they ever did...

Overall the top part is a good message...middle it starts to fall apart and at the end when clean eating was mentioned..well it went down the toilet unfortunately.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    PSA: Junk food isn't healthy food. You can say it as many times as you want, but it isn't healthy. Sure, if you have the right kind of body, you can burn off all that filth you eat and remain mostly healthy, but junk food still isn't healthy food. There are many people with many genes, me being one of them, that can't get away with it. CICO taken into account, if I ate my calories in junk food, I'd be a sick puppy.

IMO, it's ridiculous to get defensive over your junk food. It just comes off as addiction-behavior. Nobody is taking your precious junk away from you. If it works for you, roll with it. Just don't lie to yourself.

If there were only one right diet, there would only be one diet book.

and this...well whatever.

French fries are full of potassium, ice cream lots of calcium.

Food is not filthy unless it's been rolled in dirt...moderation...80/20...no reason to give up the 20 to lose weight or to be healthy.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Like I said, tell yourself what you want. Nobody is taking your crack....er...I mean "junk food" away from you. Take it easy. Nobody's gonna make you go to rehab.

Honestly I find your responses to be the most over the top and exaggerated. No one thought you were going to take food away, from anyone. You can't. But your replies seem to indicate this is either a subject that you have an intense personal response to...or junk food shot your dog.

Sarcasm is a lost art... I have attacked no one, I haven't said anyone is a bad person, as I don't believe such a thing over junk food. It is absurd and ridiculous to me to get so defensive over junk food. Food is fuel. I also said "If there was only one good diet, there would be only one diet book."

Table sugar and high fructose corn syrup aren't good for you. Eat it if you want. If it makes you happy. Still isn't good for you.

Apparently many here are in a mood to feel personally attacked today. Which is fine. No sense of humor? Ok. Get angry.
    I don't understand all the vehemence over harmless and non-malicious OPINIONS on the internet. But if it works for you guys, go with it. (Which was also something else I said about people who indulge in junk food. Reading comprehension is important. :bigsmile: )

Go on and have a fabulous day. You all should go eat an Oreo and bowl of ice cream, I hope it makes you feel better. :flowerforyou: