Be Smart... don't fall for Fads and scams :)

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Apparently I made too many assumptions in my original post, which I will concede. I don't want to get into a discussion of what is "clean" and what isn't, I was just trying to make the point that just dumping all of the less nutritious foods into the "junk" file without a full dietary profile is jumping the gun a bit. Not to mention the processing argument - which frankly, because I don't live on a farm / ranch, pretty much all of my foods are processed in some way or another before I buy them, and the same can be said for the vast majority of people. My point so far as that went was more along the lines of additives and preservatives (which is what many people call "processed foods" - prepackaged foods, shelf stable foods, etc), which I do not 100% avoid but I try to keep to a minimum myself but have nothing against people who do have some of those things in their diet.

Oh, I do understand and totally agree with your broader point. I've tried to make a similar point myself in the past. I'm just saying don't underestimate the ability of people to demonize foods. It's the only way I've been able to make sense of the usual "clean eating" discussion whereas people go on about sweet treats as if they were inherently "processed" or "unclean." Either one has to assume that they can't imagine anyone baking at home or (as I suspect is more likely) they mean to condemn homemade too, because flour and sugar.

But who knows. I was in one of these discussions once where someone referred to the horrors of processed "white" foods, like white bread and white potatoes. Pretty sure potatoes don't have to be "processed" to get their whiteness. Sometimes "processed" seems to be used (like "clean") as a synonym for "foods of which I disapprove."

I can't see that it adds anything of value to the conversation--just causes more confusion, really--so will continue to point that out, boring as it may be. ;-)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Never thought mentioning the word "clean" would cause such an uproar lol. :ohwell: This isn't even what the post was about haha.

But anyway...

To me: Clean eating means that if you look on a nutrition label on a particular food... that there are minimal ingredients listed and most (if not all) are recognizable, and natural. Processed foods in my mind don't necessarily mean the way the food is handled/packaged. It means food that has not been added tons of extra ingredients to increase sugar and sodium content, as well as preservatives, colors, dyes etc.

So for those of you who were arguing about making homemade ice cream... I would NOT consider that processed or "dirty" as some of you referred, as long as you are using natural products to make it.

Example: I just went and grabbed something random in my kitchen cabinet (No clue how long it has been there... ick :sick: ) It is Idahoan Baby Reds Flavored mashed potatoes in a bag... It says underneath: Homestyle Red and Russet Potatoes with Skins perfectly blended with creamy butter, natural, and artificial flavorings.

Okay... so now I look at the ingredient list which I counted is... 41 INGREDIENTS!!!! :frown: Hmm... for simple mashed potatoes and butter that seems pretty crazy to me! (AND YES I do eat foods like this, just not all the time! Moderation people). Some of these ingredients to pick a few are: Sodium Caseinate, disodium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, stearoyl, bisulfite, artificial color, artificial flavor, dipotassium phosphate, anti-caking agent, corn syrup solids. etc.

Would I personally call that a "clean" food? No... but that doesnt mean you have to NOT eat it. What you eat is totally up to you.

Like people have mentioned... MODERATION is KEY. We all have different opinions about what the word "clean" means, and its silly to get all in an uproar about it since no one is forcing you to follow their version of the word. I stand by my version of the word, so I will follow it. But trust me when I say that I have cheat meals and enjoy every second of it, but I just try to be strict and not do it all the time.

Cheers! Xo

:happy: :happy: :happy:

For me, and some other people, I agreed with most of your OP, but right at the end you said:
    You gotta push yourself to eat clean and exercise.

Why do I need to push myself to "eat clean"? What do you think removing all of the "dirty"/"unclean" foods would do for me?
  • kncapitano
    Options
    Never thought mentioning the word "clean" would cause such an uproar lol. :ohwell: This isn't even what the post was about haha.

But anyway...

To me: Clean eating means that if you look on a nutrition label on a particular food... that there are minimal ingredients listed and most (if not all) are recognizable, and natural. Processed foods in my mind don't necessarily mean the way the food is handled/packaged. It means food that has not been added tons of extra ingredients to increase sugar and sodium content, as well as preservatives, colors, dyes etc.

So for those of you who were arguing about making homemade ice cream... I would NOT consider that processed or "dirty" as some of you referred, as long as you are using natural products to make it.

Example: I just went and grabbed something random in my kitchen cabinet (No clue how long it has been there... ick :sick: ) It is Idahoan Baby Reds Flavored mashed potatoes in a bag... It says underneath: Homestyle Red and Russet Potatoes with Skins perfectly blended with creamy butter, natural, and artificial flavorings.

Okay... so now I look at the ingredient list which I counted is... 41 INGREDIENTS!!!! :frown: Hmm... for simple mashed potatoes and butter that seems pretty crazy to me! (AND YES I do eat foods like this, just not all the time! Moderation people). Some of these ingredients to pick a few are: Sodium Caseinate, disodium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, stearoyl, bisulfite, artificial color, artificial flavor, dipotassium phosphate, anti-caking agent, corn syrup solids. etc.

Would I personally call that a "clean" food? No... but that doesnt mean you have to NOT eat it. What you eat is totally up to you.

Like people have mentioned... MODERATION is KEY. We all have different opinions about what the word "clean" means, and its silly to get all in an uproar about it since no one is forcing you to follow their version of the word. I stand by my version of the word, so I will follow it. But trust me when I say that I have cheat meals and enjoy every second of it, but I just try to be strict and not do it all the time.

Cheers! Xo

For me, and some other people, I agreed with most of your OP, but right at the end you said:

Why do I need to push myself to "eat clean"? What do you think removing all of the "dirty"/"unclean" foods would do for me?

Thanks for your reply. You ask me why you need to "Push yourself to eat clean." This is an example of how I think many of you took what I said out of context. This was meant as a mere "Cmon Guys, try and eat clean, exercise... You can do it!" type of ending to my original post content. :embarassed:

But you do ask a valid question. The answer is you do NOT have to eat clean. What you do is completely up to you. It is something that I tell my clients (I give a much deeper explanation and education since I'm face to face with them etc) and have had amazing results with them so far. But basically, eating healthy will simply get you better results than eating unhealthy. Yes that is BROAD... but the gist of it is true. And unfortunately, Grocers/Products can fool you. They will say the product is something simple (Such as my potato example I gave above)... and yet the product has 41 ingredients. Those ingredients aren't there to just look pretty... they are preservatives, dyes, additives etc that make the food not as healthy as if you were to make your own mashed potatoes with real butter. (Just check the sodium to see the difference).

But again, you don't have to eat clean since we all have different meanings of the word. :) I do wish you the best of luck in your fitness journey though and I'm guessing you probably eat better and cleaner than you realize if you are having success. :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

But anyway...

Cheers! Xo

Thanks for your reply. You ask me why you need to "Push yourself to eat clean." This is an example of how I think many of you took what I said out of context. This was meant as a mere "Cmon Guys, try and eat clean, exercise... You can do it!" type of ending to my original post content. :embarassed:

But you do ask a valid question. The answer is you do NOT have to eat clean. What you do is completely up to you. It is something that I tell my clients (I give a much deeper explanation and education since I'm face to face with them etc) and have had amazing results with them so far. But basically, eating healthy will simply get you better results than eating unhealthy. Yes that is BROAD... but the gist of it is true. And unfortunately, Grocers/Products can fool you. They will say the product is something simple (Such as my potato example I gave above)... and yet the product has 41 ingredients. Those ingredients aren't there to just look pretty... they are preservatives, dyes, additives etc that make the food not as healthy as if you were to make your own mashed potatoes with real butter. (Just check the sodium to see the difference).

But again, you don't have to eat clean since we all have different meanings of the word. :) I do wish you the best of luck in your fitness journey though and I'm guessing you probably eat better and cleaner than you realize if you are having success. :smile:

And it's those last words you just keep pushing in there that keep people shaking their heads at you.
  • kncapitano
    Options

But anyway...

Cheers! Xo

And it's those last words you just keep pushing in there that keep people shaking their heads at you.

Why would you "Shake your head" at me for that? If I'm correct it says that person lost 140 lbs, and you honestly think they did it by eating unhealthy foods 24/7? I mean come on... let's just take this message for what it is rather than make some debate out of nothing. I think its AWESOME when people are successful with their fitness journeys. I am SURE that those who lose weight have cheat meals, I do it myself! We are human after all and should enjoy the perks of life... including unhealthy yet DELICIOUS foods. But eating cakes, fried foods, pizza, and other unhealthy foods for the majority usually does not equal a healthy lifestyle or success in weight loss. (Moderation is key) Again... lets not look into something more than it is... just sayin lol.

ps. I am NOT SAYING you should never eat those things and only eat healthy all the time so lets not go crazy again please haha.
    xo
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

But anyway...

Cheers! Xo

Did actually bother to look up any of those ingredients before declaring that they make your food less healthy? Let's take disodium phosphate for example. Would it surprise you to learn that phosphates are not only necessary for good health, but that chemists have actually created some to treat medical conditions?
  • kncapitano
    Options

But anyway...

Cheers! Xo

Did actually bother to look up any of those ingredients before declaring that they make your food less healthy? Let's take disodium phosphate for example. Would it surprise you to learn that phosphates are not only necessary for good health, but that chemists have actually created some to treat medical conditions?

lol here we go again....

Okay... you can easily pick an ingredient listed and find various reasons why it is good. If you read what I wrote... I was giving an EXAMPLE of how simple foods you buy in stores are not always just what you think they are. For example: Potatoes that you make at home vs those that come in a bag and have many more ingredients that most people have never heard of. Will Phosphates kill you? NO. Phosphates (the same one listed in the ingredients) are also used in cleaning products and pesticides.

As I've said for what feels like 100 times now. You can eat what you want, I simply prefer to go for (general term of clean) foods... with mostly natural ingredients that are not made in a chem lab. What I eat shouldn't bother you. I wish you success. xo
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Just felt like putting this up

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

0306dacf-e1fc-4ec1-a028-5084bbc08762-460x460.png
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's just that there's a big difference between "I simply prefer to go for (general term of clean) foods..." and "you have to push yourself to eat clean". Mainly the "I prefer to" and the "You have to". :smile:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    And this is why you should really familiarize yourself with a particular community forum before you post your five paragraph public service announcement/advertisement there.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

But anyway...

Cheers! Xo

lol here we go again....

Okay... you can easily pick an ingredient listed and find various reasons why it is good. If you read what I wrote... I was giving an EXAMPLE of how simple foods you buy in stores are not always just what you think they are. For example: Potatoes that you make at home vs those that come in a bag and have many more ingredients that most people have never heard of. Will Phosphates kill you? NO. Phosphates (the same one listed in the ingredients) are also used in cleaning products and pesticides.

As I've said for what feels like 100 times now. You can eat what you want, I simply prefer to go for (general term of clean) foods... with mostly natural ingredients that are not made in a chem lab. What I eat shouldn't bother you. I wish you success. xo

What you eat doesn't bother me. Did I make a thread telling people what to eat or referring to certain foods as being bad for you? No, I did not. I'm not sure why what other people eat bothers you that you need to attribute any success they have had to "eating cleaner and better than they think."

I don't think anyone is surprised that food that comes in a box on a shelf is going to have additives and preservatives to keep it from spoiling. That doesn't make it detrimental to your health. It may not be the way you choose to eat, but that does not mean that people who choose to eat that way are doing themselves a disservice or damaging their health. You also have to take a person's overall lifestyle into account when discussing health and well-being.

I don't see what phosphates being used in cleaning products and pesticides has to do with anything. Water is used is in cleaning products and pesticides, that doesn't make water bad for us. Things like multivitamins and vaccines are also made in labs, and that doesn't make them bad for us.

The problem isn't the way you eat, it's that the reasoning you are using to support your argument of why you think people should eat your way isn't holding up.
  • kncapitano
    Options
    And this is why you should really familiarize yourself with a particular community forum before you post your five paragraph public service announcement/advertisement there.

Yes and No. Maybe I should have read through some posts so I knew how sensitive people were to hear the word "Clean" when referring to food lol. However, I am completely 100% satisfied with the actual content I posted. (The part about the clean wasn't even what the post was about!)

I think warning people of potential scams is a good thing. If it doesn't phase you or bothers you... then ignore the thread. (This isn't directed to you... I'm saying it in general). I have had MANNNYYYY people approach me about trying to sell me on so many different miracle weight loss products. They do this because they know if I sell it to my clients they will receive a lot of $$$. (Network marketing pyramid) I am fine with people wanting to make money, but I don't believe in scamming people to do so. That is just me and THAT is what my post was about. I take none of that back. My bad on using "clean" lol.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't think you said that junk food was unhealthy, but there is a difference between something not being good for you and something being unhealthy. That's what annoys me. An Oatmeal Cream Pie isn't unhealthy. Is it good for you? Probably not physically (mentally yes :), but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy.

Actually I did say that. :smile:
    PSA: Junk food isn't healthy food. You can say it as many times as you want, but it isn't healthy. Sure, if you have the right kind of body, you can burn off all that filth you eat and remain mostly healthy, but junk food still isn't healthy food.

unhealthy: 'harmful to health." "not having or showing good health."
    I'm having trouble understanding how something that is not physically good for you, is not unhealthy.

But whatever. Clearly, I hold the minority opinion here. That's fine. I have other things to do. Good luck sorting it all out. I'm sure you'll find the right of it.

I've dropped 76lbs and am at around 12% bodyfat right now eating good ol whole foods, processed foods, and lots of sugary goodness. How about I wish you luck in sorting it all out instead Bye.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Yes and No. Maybe I should have read through some posts so I knew how sensitive people were to hear the word "Clean" when referring to food lol. However, I am completely 100% satisfied with the actual content I posted. (The part about the clean wasn't even what the post was about!)

I think warning people of potential scams is a good thing. If it doesn't phase you or bothers you... then ignore the thread. (This isn't directed to you... I'm saying it in general). I have had MANNNYYYY people approach me about trying to sell me on so many different miracle weight loss products. They do this because they know if I sell it to my clients they will receive a lot of $$$. (Network marketing pyramid) I am fine with people wanting to make money, but I don't believe in scamming people to do so. That is just me and THAT is what my post was about. I take none of that back. My bad on using "clean" lol.

Still going on about this? christ.
  • kncapitano
    Options

But anyway...

Cheers! Xo

lol here we go again....

What you eat doesn't bother me. Did I make a thread telling people what to eat or referring to certain foods as being bad for you? No, I did not. I'm not sure why what other people eat bothers you that you need to attribute any success they have had to "eating cleaner and better than they think."

I don't think anyone is surprised that food that comes in a box on a shelf is going to have additives and preservatives to keep it from spoiling. That doesn't make it detrimental to your health. It may not be the way you choose to eat, but that does not mean that people who choose to eat that way are doing themselves a disservice or damaging their health. You also have to take a person's overall lifestyle into account when discussing health and well-being.

I don't see what phosphates being used in cleaning products and pesticides has to do with anything. Water is used is in cleaning products and pesticides, that doesn't make water bad for us. Things like multivitamins and vaccines are also made in labs, and that doesn't make them bad for us.

The problem isn't the way you eat, it's that the reasoning you are using to support your argument of why you think people should eat your way isn't holding up.

I'm not arguing anything? That part at the very end of my post was simply saying that to get good results you need to work for them by eating clean (SORRRYYYY should have said Healthy) and Exercise. (Aka... there is no magic pill that gets results, gotta work at it). I still stand by that point only I had no idea how sensitive people were about the word "clean." My bad lol. However, the rest of my post was valid and if it even helps one person... then I'm satisfied with it. :)
  • kncapitano
    Options
    [/quote]

"I've dropped 76lbs and am at around 12% bodyfat right now eating good ol whole foods, processed foods, and lots of sugary goodness. How about I wish you luck in sorting it all out instead Bye.gif
    [/quote]"

That is great! I'm not taking anything away from you. I'm right there with you, I eat whole foods, and occasional sugary goodness treats myself. I am successful as well in my fitness journey. However,I have nothing to "Sort out" So not sure what you are referring to there.
  • Hornsby
    Options

But anyway...

Cheers! Xo

lol here we go again....

I'm not arguing anything? That part at the very end of my post was simply saying that to get good results you need to work for them by eating clean (SORRRYYYY should have said Healthy) and Exercise. (Aka... there is no magic pill that gets results, gotta work at it). I still stand by that point only I had no idea how sensitive people were about the word "clean." My bad lol. However, the rest of my post was valid and if it even helps one person... then I'm satisfied with it. :)
    You keep implying that clean means healthy and that if it isn't clean, it's unhealthy. That shows that you just aren't getting it.
  • Hornsby
    Options

"I've dropped 76lbs and am at around 12% bodyfat right now eating good ol whole foods, processed foods, and lots of sugary goodness. How about I wish you luck in sorting it all out instead Bye.gif
    [/quote]"

That is great! I'm not taking anything away from you. I'm right there with you, I eat whole foods, and occasional sugary goodness treats myself. I am successful as well in my fitness journey. However,I have nothing to "Sort out" So not sure what you are referring to there.
    [/quote]

You weren't quoted or at least you weren't the last post of that quote sequence. That was a reply to the bacon girl.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    You keep implying that clean means healthy and that if it isn't clean, it's unhealthy. That shows that you just aren't getting it.

Exactly this^
  • kncapitano
    Options

Exactly this^

I have never stated that everything not 100% clean is unhealthy. I even said I eat processed foods too. I get it! I get it! lol, things get taken way out of context in these forums I guess. Whew! :huh: :huh:

Eat what you want! As long as you are happy and getting the results you want then go for it. (Again... the purpose of my post had nothing to do with the term clean eating" Jeesh. :laugh: :noway: