Be Smart... don't fall for Fads and scams :)

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm curious, not bashing just genuinely curious. You have stated over and over that people keep bringing up that you used "clean" when that wasn't even what your post was about. You said it though and it was part of your post. Why wouldn't people harp on that if it is something that they find offense with? Also I'm curious why you felt the need to come on here and post your public service announcement? Do you honestly think that people don't know about these scams already? The people that would buy into them aren't people that would listen to your warning anyways. It looks like this was one of your first post's ever on this forum what prompted you to do this today? I'm honestly just wondering your thought process. Not in a bad way just wanting to find out where you are coming from on this.

You are correct, I have brought it up because people got sensitive about a word and took it out of context. So I was simply (well... trying to simply) explain my reasoning in using that word. I had no idea how sensitive everyone is to the word "Clean." And I don't mean this to insult anyone... but I've been in the fitness industry for over 6 years and have been to conferences and that is a very common used word to explain general healthy whole foods. It is not black and white... but generic term. I really didn't see how it was such a big issue. :huh: I'm still actually shocked that people took such a simple word and created drama with it lol. (As in saying I said they MUST ONLY eat clean foods... and never eat unhealthy foods. Which I clearly CLEARLY stated that I eat them too). :angry:

To answer your second question about why I came on here and gave my "public service announcement when you say most people already know about them. Not to be rude... but you are completely incorrect here. It is GREAT if you and others you are friends with know all about these scams. But a LOT of people don't. I get asked about them all of the time. I just was on facebook and more people were posting them in hopes of getting people to buy into the scams so they can make money off of it. So I came on here to simply give a warning to those who might not know about them.

I joined MFP a couple years ago and had a few threads going... but haven't been on since then and they are no longer on here apparently. I was just as surprised when I saw that it said it was my first post. Granted... it has been a long time. I plan to be more active on here.

Hope that answers your questions. As I said earlier, if I can help one person not fall for a scam... then I'm happy. I have since had several private messages telling them about their experiences with it and that they enjoyed the post. So I'm glad I could help them. :heart:

The whole issue with your post is you advocate against fads but don't realize that "clean eating" is just as much of a fad. No food is inherently bad for you and will not cause you to become unhealthy. Health is determined by weight, body composition, lifestyle, genetics and more. To suggest that one person is more healthy than the next because they eat "cleaner" is not only wrong but very misleading. Even if you eat like "crap", losing weight and exercise will provide you huge health benefits because obesity has been linked to most health issues than any one food will be.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    youcandoit_zpsd8f6ed54.jpg
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe if there weren't so many stickied PSAs in this forum, people wouldn't climb out of the woodwork to post their own diet manifestos.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    I don't think you said that junk food was unhealthy, but there is a difference between something not being good for you and something being unhealthy. That's what annoys me. An Oatmeal Cream Pie isn't unhealthy. Is it good for you? Probably not physically (mentally yes :), but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy.

Actually I did say that. :smile:
    PSA: Junk food isn't healthy food. You can say it as many times as you want, but it isn't healthy. Sure, if you have the right kind of body, you can burn off all that filth you eat and remain mostly healthy, but junk food still isn't healthy food.

unhealthy: 'harmful to health." "not having or showing good health."
    I'm having trouble understanding how something that is not physically good for you, is not unhealthy.

But whatever. Clearly, I hold the minority opinion here. That's fine. I have other things to do. Good luck sorting it all out. I'm sure you'll find the right of it.
    Oh look, another faceless member, with no profile pictures, a closed diary and who is still well away from their goal telling us we are all doing it wrong. Why am I not surprised.

In for us to be taught how to undo our success by someone who "thinks" they're way is the right way.

eh
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm not the type of person who can cut things entirely out of my diet. I am eating healthier and exercising and the weight is coming off. However, I'm going to let myself have treats now and then even if it's not "eating clean" (I don't really even know what that means.) I know I'm just a pictureless newbie still about 15 lbs from my goal (some of you guys seriously are snobs by the way,) but I really believe in moderation.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I had no idea how sensitive everyone is to the word "Clean." And I don't mean this to insult anyone... but I've been in the fitness industry for over 6 years and have been to conferences and that is a very common used word to explain general healthy whole foods.

Another reason why I don't go to "fitness conferences" anymore.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Also, with regards to all the lack-of-picture kvetching, have you thought that maybe some people want some anonymity? I am going through cancer treatment and I haven't advertised that to a lot of people in my life (including my coworkers) and I want to keep it that way. I guess I could post headless pictures of me in a sports bra but do you all really want to see the huge scar on my abdomen? I really don't love the idea of showing it off. Anyway, I'm losing weight for me, not for strangers on the internet.

I thought these forums were supposed to be for support, but I keep seeing a lot of people feeling superior because of their number of posts or something stupid like that. It's not really conducive to getting more people to join in.

Maybe I'll just post a picture of my cat. Would that make my opinions more valid?

Rant over :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, not bashing just genuinely curious. You have stated over and over that people keep bringing up that you used "clean" when that wasn't even what your post was about. You said it though and it was part of your post. Why wouldn't people harp on that if it is something that they find offense with? Also I'm curious why you felt the need to come on here and post your public service announcement? Do you honestly think that people don't know about these scams already? The people that would buy into them aren't people that would listen to your warning anyways. It looks like this was one of your first post's ever on this forum what prompted you to do this today? I'm honestly just wondering your thought process. Not in a bad way just wanting to find out where you are coming from on this.

(As in saying I said they MUST ONLY eat clean foods... and never eat unhealthy foods. Which I clearly CLEARLY stated that I eat them too). :angry:

You did it again. You're killing me, Smalls.

Did what? Read carefully what I wrote... that was about what others said, not myself.

Man, harsh group towards someone just trying to warn people about health/fitness scams that I see daily. Isn't this a Heath and fitness forum to share tips, advice, etc? I'll say it again... MYYYYY BADDDD for using a common word. My Baddd that it got taken in the wrong context. MY BAD for wishing you all a healthy journey. I mean clearly I don't know what I'm talking about :huh:
    To those who sent me private messages supporting my post. Thank you :) Glad I could help. I have no regrets about what I said other than using a word that basically took all meaning away from what I was actually getting at. :laugh:

I have read what you have wrote numerous times throughout this thread. You have constantly implied that unless something is "clean", it is unhealthy. It has nothing to do with whether or not you eat "unhealthy" as well. It is about what you are stating. Let me put it like this and see if you still don't understand.

Take 1 diet that is 100% clean food (by whatever your definition is) and hits perfect macros/micros for that persons goals (your choice). Think to yourself for second on how healthy you consider that diet.

Now, take diet #2. This diet consists of 80% clean food (by whatever your definition is), but the other 20% consists of all the remaining foods that don't fall into the clean category. It still hits perfect macros/micros for the individual.

Which of those diets are healthier in your opinion? By your constant remarks to clean/healthy, I am guessing I know the answer.

If your answer is #1, you really don't get it. If the answer is #2, I stand corrected. I have just been taking your words out of context.

I would pick 2 in a heart beat. I tried to explain numerous times that it isn't black and white. Saying a goal should be to eat clean never was intended to mean 100% of the time. I just meant... try to eat healthy more often than not lol. I don't know anyone who could eat clean all of the time without being totally miserable. Obviously if I thought that were the case, I wouldn't cheat too which I stated I do. That is what I have been getting at. I think if you are getting your macros and micros, and still allow yourself indulgences then you are doing great. (As I mentioned early... I'm italian and love some good bread, pasta, and definitely wine!)
    Healthy and clean are in the perception only. What is healthy and clean to you might not be the same for someone else.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

What you have to "get" or "understand" is this...your post was fine until you said you had to eat clean and exercise...yes "eating clean" is a hot topic because it's a fallacy, it's another fad or scam...
    And, this right here is what the OP does not realize.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Also, with regards to all the lack-of-picture kvetching, have you thought that maybe some people want some anonymity? I am going through cancer treatment and I haven't advertised that to a lot of people in my life (including my coworkers) and I want to keep it that way. I guess I could post headless pictures of me in a sports bra but do you all really want to see the huge scar on my abdomen? I really don't love the idea of showing it off. Anyway, I'm losing weight for me, not for strangers on the internet.

I thought these forums were supposed to be for support, but I keep seeing a lot of people feeling superior because of their number of posts or something stupid like that. It's not really conducive to getting more people to join in.

Maybe I'll just post a picture of my cat. Would that make my opinions more valid?

I figure those of us without profile pics are the ones with jobs. :laugh:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Yea, I live in my car and collective welfare.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP a couple years ago and had a few threads going... but haven't been on since then and they are no longer on here apparently.
    If your previous threads were anything like this, I could see why they would no longer be on here.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

(As in saying I said they MUST ONLY eat clean foods... and never eat unhealthy foods. Which I clearly CLEARLY stated that I eat them too). :angry:

Did what? Read carefully what I wrote... that was about what others said, not myself.

Man, harsh group towards someone just trying to warn people about health/fitness scams that I see daily. Isn't this a Heath and fitness forum to share tips, advice, etc? I'll say it again... MYYYYY BADDDD for using a common word. My Baddd that it got taken in the wrong context. MY BAD for wishing you all a healthy journey. I mean clearly I don't know what I'm talking about :huh:
    To those who sent me private messages supporting my post. Thank you :) Glad I could help. I have no regrets about what I said other than using a word that basically took all meaning away from what I was actually getting at. :laugh:
    You can't suggest eating healthy food around here without sending the yahoos into a tizzy.

They like their junk food and they don't want to hear that it might not be healthy.

They cannot be convinced that such a thing as junk food exists, much less hat it might be bad for them.

It was nice of you to try to help people. :). But, some people cannot be helped. There are none so blind.

Leave them be.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

Yea, I live in my car and collective welfare.
    I don't think you need to worry about your boss, clients, coworkers, students, whoever recognizing you from your quads. But maybe. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the slam on photoless posters was meant to include me, so not sure that would help. (I actually do have another photo in my open profile, but it's just a headshot, so doesn't show the abs or cheesy scene shot or whatever is supposed to be necessary to have an opinion according to the poster with the wine who made the comment and OP.)

That said, I vote for photo of your cat. Cats are great. Cat photos are cute.

Anyway, I'm not sure what having a photo or lots of prior posts has to do with the merits of your opinions, if they are well-expressed and well-thought-out! So I'm happy to read them, whatever they may be.
  • kncapitano
    Options

You can't suggest eating healthy food around here without sending the yahoos into a tizzy.

They like their junk food and they don't want to hear that it might not be healthy.

They cannot be convinced that such a thing as junk food exists, much less hat it might be bad for them.

It was nice of you to try to help people. :). But, some people cannot be helped. There are none so blind.

Leave them be.

Finally someone with some sense! LOL :laugh: My friend and I last night were laughing at the "Hysteria" people made over a such simple word! A word that is also similar to the term diet and healthy that also get bad recognition. While I do understand their point of view in terms of various meanings of the word, They need to get overrrr it. It is NOT that big of a deal, no reason to cry over it. :sad: I never ONCE (not ONNNNNEEE TIMEEEE) said people should eat clean 100% of the time yet the still want to go onnn and onnnn about it. I guess being a nationally certified trainer, fitness specialist, and working assistant to a doctor and nutritionist must mean I know nothing... lol. (eye roll)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I would pick 2 in a heart beat. I tried to explain numerous times that it isn't black and white. Saying a goal should be to eat clean never was intended to mean 100% of the time. I just meant... try to eat healthy more often than not lol. I don't know anyone who could eat clean all of the time without being totally miserable. Obviously if I thought that were the case, I wouldn't cheat too which I stated I do. That is what I have been getting at. I think if you are getting your macros and micros, and still allow yourself indulgences then you are doing great. (As I mentioned early... I'm italian and love some good bread, pasta, and definitely wine!)
    Healthy and clean are in the perception only. What is healthy and clean to you might not be the same for someone else.

This, especially given the incredibly diverse assertions one sees about what is "clean" and "unclean." For example, dairy is a common one. Someone who is lactose intolerant shouldn't eat lactose, presumably, but what does that have to do with anyone else? Someone who is celiac should avoid gluten, but that doesn't make grains (though flour is of course processed, and so are steel cut oats) unclean. Same with the special diet that someone with diabetes or pre diabetes might follow. I don't have either, but I do feel better with slightly lower carbs (40%) than MFP's default, in large part because it allows for more protein. But that's me, it's not some general rule about eating that everyone should follow just because it seems to work for me.

Beyond that, if someone says "eat clean," that's NOT the same as "eat clean most of the time," sorry. Words have meanings and the fact that "clean" seems not to (at least not one that isn't hopelessly ambiguous) makes it a poor word choice if one is trying to communicate.

Even more important, my objection to "eat clean" is not simply that I assumed that the OP was saying that you could never, never eat a cookie (or pasta, I guess) and be healthy. It's that I don't consider eating pasta or even a cookie "cheating" and don't personally think that's a healthy way to think about food. Also, again, saying "eat clean" gives me no way to understand what is being advised, since after all this I think the OP has said that bread and pasta and wine are both "clean" (when she was saying that homemade ice cream wouldn't be unclean like the boxed mashed potatoes, in her opinion) and "unclean" (above when she defines them as cheats).

If a term is so unclear that no one even seems to use it consistently, why it is a good word choice?
  • kncapitano
    Options
    I joined MFP a couple years ago and had a few threads going... but haven't been on since then and they are no longer on here apparently.
    If your previous threads were anything like this, I could see why they would no longer be on here.

Ohhh I'm sorry Lolowolf... I had NO IDEA that giving people a heads up about a lot of current (and upcoming) Health Scams was a bad thing. Did you even read my initial post? Man... I am so terrible that I wanted to at least offer insight since these scams often do have a lot of followers simply because they market well. :noway: (Think about all the popular Protein shakes, pills, energy drinks, wraps to lose weight etc are... not many realize that they are scams surprisingly.)

So many snobby people on this so called friendly health/fitness site... pretty sad actually. :sick: But again, I stand firm with my first post and then all the many dumb posts I created to defend what I actually meant when I used a simple word. oyyy. :laugh: