Replies

• Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's called working in.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I had two idiots walk up behind me while I was doing squats this morning, one sat on the decline bench behind me, the other leaning against the smith machine. I continued with my routine, did another set and added some plates, at this point my blood is boiling because there is a completely empty squat rack next to me and by the look of their delts or lack there of they weren't waiting to do standing overhead presses.

wait- you're mad because two dudes stood behind you while you were doing squats?

BAW HA HA HA HA HH A

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

you have GOT to be kidding me.

Welcome to the world of being a woman... half the gym finds a reason to sit behind the equipment near the squat racks 'resting' when you squat- get over yourself- if they don't stop you between sets- you had no obligation to talk to them

Cracking me up over here.

"what's the point of curling if you can't see the pump?"

I've always been more annoyed by shrugging in the squat rack, because it seems to be a more common occurrence (and done by guys who have never heard of leg day) but it's NBD. I'm just like "oh hey bro, how many sets do you have left? I need to use this for its intended purpose" and they are like "wut" and I'm like "never mind, holler at yo boo" and they are like "okay."

JK I don't say any of that, I just do something else til the rack is free. I am the only girl lifting for serious at that time and I don't want to be annoying.

Where would you suggest he do his shrugs?

He should probably trade out some of his shrugs for squats.

If you're shrugging 225 but your legs are the same size as my forearms, you maybe should do less shrugs and more calf raises or something JMHO

But it's okay man, I shrug in the squat rack now, too. Because if you can't beat em, join em. You can't roll with the big dogs, then stay on the porch.

and this is just laughable- I'll make sure to tell the guys at my gym shrugging 5+ plates at my gym they can't do it in the squat rack.

PS- same guy FRONT squats 405- to a small 8" box on the ground and the kid is well over 6 feet tall- so that's the proverbial "big guys don't squat low" joke.

I'll let him know what you think of his shrugging in YOUR squat rack. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back.

If you have good reasons for curling in the squat rack, have at it, but the article is mock-worthy.

However, it looks like there might be personal history here, so I'll just sit over there until one of you rage-quits.

Waitaminute, what's wrong with these two suggestions?

It just seems like a lot of reps unless you are going for endurance, and wouldn't the rowing machine be a better choice for that?

And why would you be worried about your back if you are lifting the amount of weight you can curl for 15 reps? If you can curl 225, then would getting it off the floor be that much of a concern?

You know that I'm no expert in this. The article just seems to fly in the face of a lot of what I understand to be true about strength training.

if a person's focus is on building larger biceps, 15 reps is a pretty decent range to be in. and people hurt their backs lifting things off the floor all the time. and by things, i mean things like pencils and key rings. it'll happen because when picking up something they consider light, they don't get focused and set like they would before a 225 pound DL. also, a barbell loaded with say, 10 pound plates on each side will be lower than a standard DL so there's more of a deficit.

i'm not saying a person WILL hurt their back, but when i do my curls, and i do do my curls, i much prefer to lift the weight from a height near where my arms hang.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Got to gym and had to wait for squat rack.

mr-t-crying.gif

Gains postponed.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Dude, the article not only teaches people who probably should start with 5 pound dumb bells how to curl in the squat rack, it recommends that you aim for 15 reps and that lifting the weight off the floor might hurt your back.

If you have good reasons for curling in the squat rack, have at it, but the article is mock-worthy.

However, it looks like there might be personal history here, so I'll just sit over there until one of you rage-quits.

Waitaminute, what's wrong with these two suggestions?

It just seems like a lot of reps unless you are going for endurance, and wouldn't the rowing machine be a better choice for that?

And why would you be worried about your back if you are lifting the amount of weight you can curl for 15 reps? If you can curl 225, then would getting it off the floor be that much of a concern?

You know that I'm no expert in this. The article just seems to fly in the face of a lot of what I understand to be true about strength training.

if a person's focus is on building larger biceps, 15 reps is a pretty decent range to be in. and people hurt their backs lifting things off the floor all the time. and by things, i mean things like pencils and key rings. it'll happen because when picking up something they consider light, they don't get focused and set like they would before a 225 pound DL. also, a barbell loaded with say, 10 pound plates on each side will be lower than a standard DL so there's more of a deficit.

i'm not saying a person WILL hurt their back, but when i do my curls, and i do do my curls, i much prefer to lift the weight from a height near where my arms hang.

Thanks!