Fitness Misconceptions that drive you nuts?

Options

Replies

• imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options

FYI, 38B and 36C are equivalent bra sizes or "sister sizes." When band size decreases the cup letter increases to keep the same cup volume. http://www.brasize.com/bra-sister-size.html

Thanks for sharing this! I dunno if the person who you were responding to found it useful but I do! Thanks! :)
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    No pain, no gain. Ugh. If you are really hurting, you are damaging yourself.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    "Eating fatty foods will make you fat."
    Anyone talking about somatotypes. They always get it wrong.
    "Eating healthy costs more than eating fast food." Learn to shop, to budget, and to cook.

And just because I didn't see any cat gifs.
    tLYCSsR.gif
  • LovelyValentina
    Options
    a calorie is not a calorie.

I absolutely hate that one too. It gives SOME ignorant people an excuse to eat thousands of calories of 'health' foods like diet sour cream or something in excess and even if they don't lose weight they still have the nerve to defy what even children learn in science class about energy storage in the human body.

Sorry guys rant over.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Only thing that bugs me is that when females think they will get even SLIGHTLY fu*** bulky looking from lifting weights.

Seriously.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I have to listen to ONE more person tell me they just can't possibly lose because of a thyroid condition while they shove bags of chips in their face... >_< Bonus points if they have never even been diagnosed by a doctor and just assume they have it.

My thyroid hasn't functioned on its own since I was 8. If you're off meds, yes, it does make it much harder and sometimes even maintaining weight is really hard to do... but you can fix that by (guess what!) GETTING ON MEDICATION. You have to actually DO something about it for it to get better. Will it make weight just fall off you without effort? No. You still have to work for it, and you may even have to work harder than some other people have to. It sucks, but too bad. It is NOT impossible.
  • WolverhamptonFitness
    WolverhamptonFitness Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    People have said it, but its the whole.... Women lifting makes them bulky....
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    "It's OK - it's OLIVE oil" said whilst drizzling (aka ladling) it over EVERYTHING.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    What drives me nuts?

- People who get pedantic about "muscle weighs more than fat." Every moron on the planet knows that 1 lb = 1 lb, and you know full well that they're trying to communicate the idea that "a given volume of muscle weighs more an equivalent volume of fat." If you're nitpicking because they didn't use the word "density," then you are trying way too hard to find fault.

Lol yeah, this.

the kind of people that quote this as their biggest peeve, are the kind of people that I go out of my way to avoid.

Muscle DOES weigh more than fat (in equal amounts, which is BLINDINGLY OBVIOUSLY what people are talking about)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    "Diet coke will make you fat."

Been my drink of choice whenever I'm in a club, I'm 165 cm tall, have a 29 cm waist and weigh about 66kg..and yet people who would be classed as obese by the BMI see fit to lecture me on the apparent perils of diet coke. The last person who told me that, I told them how much I weigh and asked them how much they weigh (hint: they were very round), they never answered.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The boobs one is an interesting debate.. when I was 10st I was a 34DD, now I'm 2 stone heavier I'm a 36G. I hope to drop a size or two as the weight comes off - watch this space (not literally the space where my boobs are LOL)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Been my drink of choice whenever I'm in a club, I'm 165 cm tall, have a 29 cm waist and weigh about 66kg..and yet people who would be classed as obese by the BMI see fit to lecture me on the apparent perils of diet coke. The last person who told me that, I told them how much I weigh and asked them how much they weigh (hint: they were very round), they never answered.

A 29cm waist? Time to eat, my friend... :-]
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Something even some more experienced people fall for: everyone should do stretching.

Not true. In some cases stretching is detrimental to your chosen sport and creates instability at the joints.
  • anacepeda
    anacepeda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If I have to listen to ONE more person tell me they just can't possibly lose because of a thyroid condition while they shove bags of chips in their face... >_< Bonus points if they have never even been diagnosed by a doctor and just assume they have it.

My thyroid hasn't functioned on its own since I was 8. If you're off meds, yes, it does make it much harder and sometimes even maintaining weight is really hard to do... but you can fix that by (guess what!) GETTING ON MEDICATION. You have to actually DO something about it for it to get better. Will it make weight just fall off you without effort? No. You still have to work for it, and you may even have to work harder than some other people have to. It sucks, but too bad. It is NOT impossible.

Exactly! I dont have thyroid problems but my dog has and the above statements apply (not trying to compare people and dogs, but some things happen the same way on both!)
    She was obese and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, before the meds she had no energy to go for a proper walk (and you can't say its laziness, its a dog!). Now with the proper daily medication and daily 40 minutes of fast paces walk, the stamina went up and I have a healthy dog and not obese anymore!
  • SinCityFit
    Options
    I'm just curious to see what you guys have heard from people who don't know anything about fitness.

My most recent one? "Running makes your boobs smaller" *eye twitch*

Running most definitely made mine smaller :\

Granted, they were full of fat before, but still.....

I went through a binging period where I gained 30 lbs (20 lbs lighter than that now) and I would look down and think to myself... they ARE right! I had trouble fitting on dresses that fit before... and the stomach or legs or arms were not the issue.....
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

I am quite a small person. But if I needed to put weight on, it'll be fine - I'll just drink several bottles of diet coke...
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Put on this ab sculptor belt, sit on the lounge eating pizza and drinking beer and you will have those 6 pack abs in 30 days or less.
  • Thatslimgal84
    Options
    eating meat makes u fat... only vegetarians can lose weight! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jshmiami
    jshmiami Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I am quite a small person. But if I needed to put weight on, it'll be fine - I'll just drink several bottles of diet coke...

Uhh I think you're wrong about the 29cm.. I just Googled the smallest waist size ever and a lady born in 1937 had a waist size of 38.1 cm.. Maybe you mean inches?
  • jshmiami
    jshmiami Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "I'm not losing weight because I'm building muscle. "

Depends on how big the person is, but for many people (including myself) the only way they can gain muscle is by eating waay more than normal. I just finished a bulk and gained a lot of fat in the process. But clearly "gaining muscle" forever by eating over your maintenance isn't a good idea, so I'm about to start a cut. But judging by your fit picture, I'm guessing you know what I'm talking about!