Fitness Misconceptions that drive you nuts?

Options

Replies

• wendy16256
    wendy16256 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've had more than one person say to not lose so much weight that you start looking older. Um, really?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I've had more than one person say to not lose so much weight that you start looking older. Um, really?

They might be referring to many who lose weight too fast and get saggy skin, especially in the face and chin/neck area. That can make someone look older.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    bump to read later, as it's now quittin' time and I'm making a run for it!
  • dkad2013
    dkad2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "I work out for an hour everyday and eat 1200 calories a day and I don't lose weight." A friend told me that once at the gym...she was on the elliptical going at a snails pace because she "doesnt like to sweat" and on the way out got cheetos and a juice from the vending machine....

She went to the gym and doesn't want to sweat ;);)
    What was she doing? inspecting the machines in the gym ;);)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    "If you want accurate calorie burn, get an HRM"

"Cardio burns muscle"

"Too much cardio makes you fat"

" always lift weights before cardio"

"The whole 'marathoner vs sprinter' argument"

"Broken metabolism"

"Muscle confusion"

"Fit people burn fewer calories than unfit people"

"Higher HR = more calories burned"

"Heavy lifting is cardio because heart rate goes up"

"Afterburn"

"Abstinence-only sex ed reduces unwanted pregnancies"
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You don't want to do free weights, you can lift so much more in the smiths machine. It's true but not the point. Just got to love the bros with their mates lifting the last rep, same amount week in week out.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Running will make your uterus fall out!!! It's a classic!

apparently so does heavy lifting.

so what are we supposed to do exactly?

Put a cork in it I guess.

I convinced a young man at my gym (15 i think) that every time I pick up a weight that is heavy- or not colored- my vagina falls out and that's why I keep my backpack with me- it's like a colostomy bag for my who-ha.

I'm not even going to lie- he totally believed me- it was so hard to keep a straight face. Best gym moment EVER.

Omg :laugh: .I'm going to have to test this out lol...I have a coworker who told me her mother's-friend's-daughter's-sister's-step brother's niece had her uterus fall out from lifting weights.

Is this an alternate option to the hysterectomy???
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

-Women shouldn't do the bench press because it'll make your boobs shrink lol

:laugh:

I wish this worked
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Because I'm vegetarian, I can't build muscle as I don't consume 150g of protein a day! LMAO!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    "I work out for an hour everyday and eat 1200 calories a day and I don't lose weight." A friend told me that once at the gym...she was on the elliptical going at a snails pace because she "doesnt like to sweat" and on the way out got cheetos and a juice from the vending machine....

She went to the gym and doesn't want to sweat ;);)
    What was she doing? inspecting the machines in the gym ;);)

I see plenty of people at the gym that are just going at such a leisurely pace and they don't break a sweat...whether it's the treadmill or the elliptical. That's fine if that's what they're there for...but if I'm not pushing myself and sweating and getting the point of exhaustion...then I don't really feel like the visit to the gym was worth it!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a question for a psychologist/psychiatrist rather than random strangers on a discussion board, but WHY is fitness/nutrition the one area where even smart, educated people who are sensible about everything else in life are willing to believe and repeat nonsense? Recently I had a meal with two friends, and they started talking about juicing. They went from there to how helpful they find it to be gluten-free (one proceeded to eat a piece of toast, which I noted but didn't mention). Then they talked about Crossfit (which one said she'd been inspired to check out because I'd mentioned that I've found weight-lifting an important component of fitness; again I kept my mouth shut). These are smart, accomplished people. I bite my tongue, because people don't want to hear the truth (too boring???)

I went to get a haircut recently and the woman who cuts my hair noted that I looked slim and asked whether I'd changed what I've been doing, and I gave the same (poker-faced) answer I do every time (which happens to be the truth): "I moved more and ate less."

And she blurted out, "Well, I don't want to do that!" Points for honesty.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options

" always lift weights before cardio"

I had a personal trainer, who was working out a program for me to follow tell me that!

His weight program was big muscles to little muscles, every week we did chest press, shoulder press, triceps, biceps, russian twist. ONE week, we did one leg press thing on a machine! (out of 8 sessions!)

Then 20 min on a elliptical machine 'so I didn't get sore the next day" Every week. The same exercises and the same low weights.

After the free period (i got it thru work) I didn't take up the chance to pay for his advice!
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options

I've also been repeatedly told that I'm a terrible mother because I work out, apparently I am not spending enough time with my child because I'm "always in the gym". If "anyways in the gym" means 50-60 minutes 3 times a week whilst my son is napping, then yes, I'm a terrible mother because I'm always in the damn gym. I mean it's not like I'm here for him every single waking moment of every single day and I just chose to work out (rather than sit down) whilst he's having a sleep.

I have been told the same thing! I work out 5-6 days a week, most of the days I do it when they are asleep! But yea, I'm a horrible rotten mother because I actually dare to spend some time on ME. Oh and the fact that maybe I am just trying to set a good example for my kids is just completely glossed over. :grumble:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a question for a psychologist/psychiatrist rather than random strangers on a discussion board, but WHY is fitness/nutrition the one area where even smart, educated people who are sensible about everything else in life are willing to believe and repeat nonsense? Recently I had a meal with two friends, and they started talking about juicing. They went from there to how helpful they find it to be gluten-free (one proceeded to eat a piece of toast, which I noted but didn't mention). Then they talked about Crossfit (which one said she'd been inspired to check out because I'd mentioned that I've found weight-lifting an important component of fitness; again I kept my mouth shut). These are smart, accomplished people. I bite my tongue, because people don't want to hear the truth (too boring???)

I went to get a haircut recently and the woman who cuts my hair noted that I looked slim and asked whether I'd changed what I've been doing, and I gave the same (poker-faced) answer I do every time (which happens to be the truth): "I moved more and ate less."

And she blurted out, "Well, I don't want to do that!" Points for honesty.

No one knows what's correct anymore. there's so much misinformation, designed to separate your money from your wallet.
    Which is why they're so willing to believe any fad that comes along.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Recently a friend of mine was insisting that I needed to keep my heart rate in a certain zone, because if I exercised for too long above that zone, it "wouldn't do any good".

Also, I still find it hard to believe that any woman will accidentally get "bulky" by lifting weights. I am at the gym several times a week, and I have seen one woman who looked a bit bulky; my trainer knew her, and said she competes in bodybuilding competitions.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You have to lose weight by exercising and it's not about eating at a deficit.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Also, I still find it hard to believe that any woman will accidentally get "bulky" by lifting weights. I am at the gym several times a week, and I have seen one woman who looked a bit bulky; my trainer knew her, and said she competes in bodybuilding competitions.

I clicked this thread to pretty much say this. I've only spotted a few "bulky" women and they were women who compete either in strong women events or do physique competitions of some sort.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is funny, but I can say that whenever I lose weight, that's the part it comes from first. I've lost 10 lbs in this go-round and dropped from a 38B to a 38A. It's one of those things that is not true for everyone, but does happen to some of us, so the rumor continues...
    I'm with you! Wish it would go from my hips first rather than my bosoms!

Uhhh yeah - running didn't DIRECTLY make me lose my boobs, but running helped aid in the loss of close to 70 lbs which made my 40DD's into 32Ds (even though it's only one cup size, I have NO boobs left. Even though they are D's, it's mostly saggy skin that won't fit into a B or C cup LOL
  • Brandonalex15
    Brandonalex15 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes , mines too -_.-
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    What drives me nuts?

- People who get pedantic about "muscle weighs more than fat." Every moron on the planet knows that 1 lb = 1 lb, and you know full well that they're trying to communicate the idea that "a given volume of muscle weighs more an equivalent volume of fat." If you're nitpicking because they didn't use the word "density," then you are trying way too hard to find fault.

OOO..."pedantic" ...great word.

And I agree. People who say this need to get a life.