Fitness Misconceptions that drive you nuts?

Options

Replies

• I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Squatting is bad for your knees.
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Use light weights and do high reps (for females) so you dont get big and bulky muscles and look like a man. :huh:
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Only thing that bugs me is that when females think they will get even SLIGHTLY fu*** bulky looking from lifting weights.

Seriously.

I know right I'll tell then just look at my pic and ask them, do i look bulky like a man? I lift. :laugh:
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Put on this ab sculptor belt, sit on the lounge eating pizza and drinking beer and you will have those 6 pack abs in 30 days or less.

:laugh: This. Also those 'Sweatz vests' which are basically bin liners you wear whilst exercising to make you sweat more.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

-Women shouldn't do the bench press because it'll make your boobs shrink lol

:laugh:

I wish this worked

It doesn't, hell this is the only reason I do them :tongue:
  • superjules17
    superjules17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My mum used to say that she was the size she was because she had 'big bones' and no amount of exercise or diet could change that. Apparently her mother was like that , as were all the women in her family....
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    "Diet coke will make you fat."

Been my drink of choice whenever I'm in a club, I'm 165 cm tall, have a 29 cm waist and weigh about 66kg..and yet people who would be classed as obese by the BMI see fit to lecture me on the apparent perils of diet coke. The last person who told me that, I told them how much I weigh and asked them how much they weigh (hint: they were very round), they never answered.

A 29cm waist? Time to eat, my friend... :-]

I am quite a small person. But if I needed to put weight on, it'll be fine - I'll just drink several bottles of diet coke...

Uhh I think you're wrong about the 29cm.. I just Googled the smallest waist size ever and a lady born in 1937 had a waist size of 38.1 cm.. Maybe you mean inches?

Oh crap, I didn't even realise I'd put cm - force of habit. For some reason I measure height and weight in metric, but waist and neck size in inches. So yeah, don't worry - I'm not a skeleton.
  • MandyGraham73
    MandyGraham73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    LOL

My uterus just fell out from laughing so much. That would have been so funny to watch.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    "running will wreck your knees"

I used to explain how proper running uses the ankles as a lever as it has been efficiently designed to be.

Now I look them in the eye and say, "NO! Being fat will wreck my knees." I think they get the hint.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Saying "a pound equals a pound" to explain the incompleteness of the statement "muscle weighs more than fat."

You can not combat stupidity with more stupidity.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    How about some of the most commonly posted (and repeated) threads on MFP:
    -"I've been dieting for 2 days and I went to the gym for 3 hours yesterday and I haven't lost any weight yet!!!"
    -"I'm 5'6" and weigh 130lbs but I want to weigh 90 and can't seem to lose anything!" (people focus on weight alone and not being healthy)
    My personal favorite:
    -"I weighed myself today and I gained 2 pounds since yesterday!!!! I must be getting fat!!! WHAT DO I DO????????????"

-_-
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my sister-in-law, who has a history of eating disorders and yo-yo dieting. It turned out the advice she'd been getting from my mother-in-law for years is that if you are dieting you need to burn more calories in actual exercise than you eat. No reference whatsoever to the calories you burn just being alive and carrying out your daily tasks. She actually nags her on the phone if she doesn't exercise off her entire daily calorie consumption. I was livid!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat

I am sure, this is the absolute biggest misconception.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat

I am sure, this is the absolute biggest misconception.

How so? Please explain the physics in detail.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    No, not again we already had that and I had to stop myself from commenting on it.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    eating meat makes u fat... only vegetarians can lose weight! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The one that gets me is "Vegetarians are healthier". Technically, a diet of potato chips and Coke is vegetarian, but not very healthy at all. Most vegetarians are more health-conscious people to begin with, so they tend to pay attention to what they eat and eat healthier than the general pubic. Strictly removing all meat from your life does not make your diet "healthier".
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to see what you guys have heard from people who don't know anything about fitness.

My most recent one? "Running makes your boobs smaller" *eye twitch*

Running most definitely made mine smaller :\

Granted, they were full of fat before, but still.....

I went through a binging period where I gained 30 lbs (20 lbs lighter than that now) and I would look down and think to myself... they ARE right! I had trouble fitting on dresses that fit before... and the stomach or legs or arms were not the issue.....

Running didn't make them smaller. Eating at a calorie deficit and losing body fat made them smaller. My friend genuinely believes that if she runs (and only runs without any kind of diet change or calorie deficit) her boobs will get smaller, and that simply isn't the case.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    LIFT HEAVY!!!!!!$$$$&&*........Now what was the question...

And the suggestion that CV training wastes the muscles

Those who appear to have credibility, through personal success, pronouncing on their own preferred form of exercise as the ONE TRUE WAY (tm)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    LIFT HEAVY!!!!!!$$$$&&*........Now what was the question...

And the suggestion that CV training wastes the muscles

Those who appear to have credibility, through personal success, pronouncing on their own preferred form of exercise as the ONE TRUE WAY (tm)

^This drives me nuts too.

Lots of things are effective and fun. Enjoy some quality human movement, eat to support the activity level you are undertaking. How hard does it need to be?
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat..."