Fitness Misconceptions that drive you nuts?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That you have to spend hours at the gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Running will make your uterus fall out!!! It's a classic!

apparently so does heavy lifting.

so what are we supposed to do exactly?

Put a cork in it I guess.

I convinced a young man at my gym (15 i think) that every time I pick up a weight that is heavy- or not colored- my vagina falls out and that's why I keep my backpack with me- it's like a colostomy bag for my who-ha.

I'm not even going to lie- he totally believed me- it was so hard to keep a straight face. Best gym moment EVER.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Lifting and running are the only "real" exercises.
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When you work out your fat turns to muscle... :noway:

When you stop working out your muscle turns to fat
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    This is funny, but I can say that whenever I lose weight, that's the part it comes from first. I've lost 10 lbs in this go-round and dropped from a 38B to a 38A. It's one of those things that is not true for everyone, but does happen to some of us, so the rumor continues...
    I'm with you! Wish it would go from my hips first rather than my bosoms!

I wish it would go from the girls first.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Don't lift weights, it'll make you bulky. Coming from a female trainer, among a few other people.....yeah I won't be using you as a trainer :indifferent:

Oatmeal makes you bulky.

"Oh you're just gaining muscle"....using an elliptical....with a calorie deficit....:huh:

I wish my oatmeal would grow my muscle :(
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    How people think that the calorie burn number on their Polar FT4 is perfect. Runs off laughing. :flowerforyou:

Sorry .. I have found it to be at times very very very wrong. And that was doing simple walking. Gave mine away to my sister.

People need to understand that it cannot measure calorie burn at all .. it can only measure heart rate. The calorie burn is just some guys math calculation, just like on every other device. They are often wrong.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to see what you guys have heard from people who don't know anything about fitness.

My most recent one? "Running makes your boobs smaller" *eye twitch*

Well....

Any form of exercise that causes you to lose body fat will almost definitely have some effect on the size of your breasts since fat gets deposited there as well. If you shrink the size of your fat cells through a program of diet and exercise, you *are* going to "make your boobs smaller." That's just a fact.

So, while it may be unfair to single out running per se, it's not actually inaccurate to say that "running makes your boobs smaller" any more than saying "losing weight (generally) will make your boobs smaller" is inaccurate.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction

" I'm doing 100 crunches a day to reduce my big belly "
  • Jim_Barteck
    Options
    What drives me nuts?

- People who get pedantic about "muscle weighs more than fat." Every moron on the planet knows that 1 lb = 1 lb, and you know full well that they're trying to communicate the idea that "a given volume of muscle weighs more an equivalent volume of fat." If you're nitpicking because they didn't use the word "density," then you are trying way too hard to find fault.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Options
    You might not be hungry, drink a glass of water instead.

That's actually not a misconception. If you are dehydrated, first your body sends out the "I'm thirsty" signal. If you ignore it, the body will then send out an "I'm hungry" signal because it can also extract water from the food you eat (think especially apples, watermelon, celery, etc.).
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

I convinced a young man at my gym (15 i think) that every time I pick up a weight that is heavy- or not colored- my vagina falls out and that's why I keep my backpack with me- it's like a colostomy bag for my who-ha.

I'm not even going to lie- he totally believed me- it was so hard to keep a straight face. Best gym moment EVER.

LMAO!!!! Oh man I wish I could have seen that!! The who-ha colostomy bag is a lot easier to use than just putting a bucket under you and hoping for the best.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to see what you guys have heard from people who don't know anything about fitness.

My most recent one? "Running makes your boobs smaller" *eye twitch*

Well....

Any form of exercise that causes you to lose body fat will almost definitely have some effect on the size of your breasts since fat gets deposited there as well. If you shrink the size of your fat cells through a program of diet and exercise, you *are* going to "make your boobs smaller." That's just a fact.

So, while it may be unfair to single out running per se, it's not actually inaccurate to say that "running makes your boobs smaller" any more than saying "losing weight (generally) will make your boobs smaller" is inaccurate.

While that may be true in some cases, there are women whose breasts are almost entirely mammary tissue. Losing weight and body fat isn't going to effect breast size by any large degree in these cases.

And given that large breasts run in her family- all the women of which appear to have fairly low body fat- it's highly likely she's one of these cases.
  • TheBookSiren2316
    Options
    My doctor told me running wont help anyone lose weight. He told me not to bother running because it wont do anything. O.o
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I so didn't read coRk at first glance. What's my mind doing over there in the gutter?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Omg :laugh: .I'm going to have to test this out lol...I have a coworker who told me her mother's-friend's-daughter's-sister's-step brother's niece had her uterus fall out from lifting weights.
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I so didn't read coRk at first glance. What's my mind doing over there in the gutter?

Well that could work too lol
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    "anything... for woman".

unless "anything" = tampon.
    Ugh, yes. So many food items end up having less of the satiating fat and protein and more sugar/carbs and marginal vitamin supplementation. The idea that women need a smaller, less nutritionally rounded item to avoid "bulking up" is asinine. It's almost ironic - given the recent wave of low-carb/keto enthusiasm, you'd think manufacturers would be offering more options to capitalize on the trend. The sugar in many "women's foods" often exceeds the fat and protein combined.

The "I don't wanna get bulky" line is pretty common around the office, and people generally don't care to listen when you tell them that the majority of women with bodies they strive for also do strength training in some form.

I also really hate the idea that one eating schedule is superior to another. I've been told by many people after sharing that I do intermittent fasting and eat later in the day than most that I NEED to eat breakfast first thing in the morning, that I NEED to be eating 6 small meals a day to succeed, and that I NEED to avoid eating after 8PM if I don't want all those calories to turn straight to fat. Trust me, if all my calories eaten after 8 turned straight into fat, I'd be gaining 2+ lbs a week! One style is more superior than another only on an individual basis.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You might not be hungry, drink a glass of water instead.

I actually like that one - sometimes drinking a glass of water does the job. if It turns out youre genuinely hungry, you'll have that snack, and you had a glass of water too, which hasn't set you back anything.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    What drives me nuts?

- People who get pedantic about "muscle weighs more than fat." Every moron on the planet knows that 1 lb = 1 lb, and you know full well that they're trying to communicate the idea that "a given volume of muscle weighs more an equivalent volume of fat." If you're nitpicking because they didn't use the word "density," then you are trying way too hard to find fault.

Lol yeah, this.