How bad does a tattoo hurt?

Options
123457»

Replies

• BadassSavageVix
    BadassSavageVix Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The pain of getting the tattoo is certainly outweighed by the end result. I've got a few tattoos now and none of them really hurt me. It does frustrate me a little bit when my legs twitch (if I'm having a tattoo on my leg/foot). The most recent addition I had on my foot was a little bit painful. It wasn't too bad at the beginning but started to get a bit unbearable near the end.

OMG! That was the worst part for me, too! The twitching! I felt horrible for my tattooist! Every few minutes, my leg would twitch involuntarily! I kept apologizing, and felt horrible! He told me it was no problem, a lot of people do it when they have their legs/feet worked on. That never even crossed my mind!

My artist is used to me twitching now and it's not a problem for him. He usually forgets though until the first twitch and then remembers how often it happens.
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You've had quite a few responses, but still :)

My wrist ones didn't really hurt at all, apart from when the needle was dragged up the wrist. My thigh one was a breeze, but my two rib ones were uncomfortable. My first rib piece was a solid black, 4 hour job, and it was painful. My second rib piece just just under the breast, and whilst painful, it was relatively quick compared to the other one.

So really, it is down to your own pain threshold. Some areas supposedly hurt more than others (bony areas like ankle, ribs, feet). I've heard a lot of people say that their upper back/shoulder tattoos didn't hurt, but I couldn't comment on that!
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    The pain varies from person to person. I wouldn't necessarily call it "pain" though, more like annoying discomfort. For me, I've noticed that fatty areas and bony areas are the most sensitive. Happy inking!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My cousin loves tattoos. She doesn't feel anything.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    personally I think if you're worried about the pain you probably shouldn't get one in the first place

that being said, my shoulder tattoo didn't hurt except on the really detailed shading that was hitting a nerve, I actually fell asleep and my forearm was painful but I don't really have much padding there and it was a solid black design so was pretty deep.

My step son, about 9 at the time, was there when I got it done and he's like "does it hurt?!" and I'm like "**** yeah it hurts, don't ever get one" lol I think I scared him :laugh: :laugh:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It can depend on the placement. My tramp stamp was the worst pain I've ever voluntarily sat through. Though the top of my foot wasn't too bad at all, and actually kinda turned me on. :blushing:
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    no they don't next question
  • FrozenSongBird
    FrozenSongBird Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    None of mine hurt ... not even the one on my chest.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    all depends on the person and the location of the tattoo. Really no way of knowing until you are doing it cause everyone is different. I'd say go in expecting the worst then when it isnt you will be pleasantly surprised lol
    I have 6 and the worst was the top of the foot for me!
  • hoffmanchristina
    hoffmanchristina Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The worst, most painful place to get a tattoo is eyeliner. I've had my eyes lined 3 times because the color faded. The first time I was 16 and it was a thin off black. The second time, I was 21 and had it thickened and darkened. The last time was just a few years ago. If you have pain pills ( Motrin 600 or higher, Tylenol 3,...) take a dose about an hour before you go and have someone else drive. For my eyes, I had to take allergy pills. And my eyes weren't done in 1 sitting because of the swelling and watery eyes. The first time, was a rough draft. I went back a month later to have them evened up. Make sure the artist is reputable.
  • annemariejv
    Options
    I'm getting my first one in two days on my foot! apparently those ones hurt..but I hope I take it like a champ! I've heard that the shoulders don't hurt that much because of the multiple muscle tissues that lie under the surface. The more direct bone and cartilage connective tissue under the surface the worse it gets, or so I hear..
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    Idk I like the pain
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    I fell a sleep on the two I've ha so far.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    I fell a sleep on the two I've ha so far.

My arm one made me laugh and then I did start getting sleepy too