How do you handle tantrums?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Honesty may hurt, but I will not withhold it simply because you don't like what I have to say. The OP illustrates the point that NOBODY here (this includes parents) is an expert on raising children.

My point may have stung (ok, it definitely stung... a lot if someone didn't know themselves very well), yet it is absolutely valid.

Valid points can be made without condescension and contempt. If you want to effectively communicate your position to people, then you would be well served to apply a little emotional intelligence and tact.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It's okay, I don't get mad at my dog for not knowing calculus.

:flowerforyou:
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's okay, I don't get mad at my dog for not knowing calculus.

:flowerforyou:

^^^ Word. If I knew how to do giffs I would post a fancy lady snapping her fingers and swaying her head side to side.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    The restaurant ended up spending thousands of dollars to satisfy the family and the whining pubic.

Litigation nation. Where will we go from here?

No, it never ended up in court, as far as I know. The restaurant paid out before it would come to that. Would it have been successful in court? If before a judge, surely not because there is no sound legal reasoning for the restaurant to pay anything. If before a jury of a bunch of parents.... well, that has nothing to do with the law or reasoning, as evidenced by how it ended in the jury of public opinion.

I suppose they coughed up the cash out of fear of ultimately going out of business or fear of future litigation. Oh well. As far as the jury of public opinion goes, I'm a woman who has no children and never wanted them. I realize I'm very much in the minority and majority rules.

But it seems like *parents* are just as fed up with *other* *peoples'* brats just as much as childless folk are, which I find sort of amusing.

The whole: It's-other-peoples'-kids-who-don't-act-right-not-mine-oh-except-once-when-he/she-was-hanging-around-with-the-wrong-crowd-he/she-is-a-bit-of-a-follower-you-see-but-we-put-a-stop-to-that. I suppose I'll never have that illuminating and sentimental experience but I'll continue to carry on :cry:

That is an interesting observation. I'll add my observation that parents who claim that theirs are well behaved are generally the ones who have the most problems. It is classic "deny the problem" results. If they believe there is no problem, they don't address. If they do not address the problem, then it continues. They continue to tout how great their kids behave, while the opposite continues to be true with increasing distance between perception and reality.

For someone who says that they avoid children, don't like them, and call them brats. You know an incredible amount about parenting and feel necessary to judge any and all parents.

Says the "expert" who was so far at the end of her rope that she felt she had to go to an MFP forum to ask for help...

I'll take your personal attack and raise you a report.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    The restaurant ended up spending thousands of dollars to satisfy the family and the whining pubic.

No, it never ended up in court, as far as I know. The restaurant paid out before it would come to that. Would it have been successful in court? If before a judge, surely not because there is no sound legal reasoning for the restaurant to pay anything. If before a jury of a bunch of parents.... well, that has nothing to do with the law or reasoning, as evidenced by how it ended in the jury of public opinion.

I suppose they coughed up the cash out of fear of ultimately going out of business or fear of future litigation. Oh well. As far as the jury of public opinion goes, I'm a woman who has no children and never wanted them. I realize I'm very much in the minority and majority rules.

But it seems like *parents* are just as fed up with *other* *peoples'* brats just as much as childless folk are, which I find sort of amusing.

The whole: It's-other-peoples'-kids-who-don't-act-right-not-mine-oh-except-once-when-he/she-was-hanging-around-with-the-wrong-crowd-he/she-is-a-bit-of-a-follower-you-see-but-we-put-a-stop-to-that. I suppose I'll never have that illuminating and sentimental experience but I'll continue to carry on :cry:

That is an interesting observation. I'll add my observation that parents who claim that theirs are well behaved are generally the ones who have the most problems. It is classic "deny the problem" results. If they believe there is no problem, they don't address. If they do not address the problem, then it continues. They continue to tout how great their kids behave, while the opposite continues to be true with increasing distance between perception and reality.

For someone who says that they avoid children, don't like them, and call them brats. You know an incredible amount about parenting and feel necessary to judge any and all parents.

Says the "expert" who was so far at the end of her rope that she felt she had to go to an MFP forum to ask for help...

Nice personal attack. I'm not the reporting type, but you're really playing the odds that no one reading this is in an 8 page thread.

This is no more of a personal attack than what the OP (and others) have been saying to me; and quite frankly, if you do not want my comments on this, post on a "mommy" board. If you want responses from anybody and everybody, then post on MFP's Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games board.

So, me saying that you are incredibly judgemental for not having children is... an attack?

Edited because you aren't worth a third strike.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Honesty may hurt, but I will not withhold it simply because you don't like what I have to say. The OP illustrates the point that NOBODY here (this includes parents) is an expert on raising children.

My point may have stung (ok, it definitely stung... a lot if someone didn't know themselves very well), yet it is absolutely valid.

Dude, you're giving parenting advice and your profile talks about hoping to find a girlfriend.

Honesty hurts.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

Dude, you're giving parenting advice and your profile talks about hoping to find a girlfriend.

Honesty hurts.

HA
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Valid points can be made without condescension and contempt. If you want to effectively communicate your position to people, then you would be well served to apply a little emotional intelligence and tact.

I tried that, by the way, and you would notice that if you go back through to my earlier posts on this thread. In fact, I even applauded the OP earlier on. Then the OP was consumed with group-think and started questioning my knowledge level (which I was up front about from my first post). So I questioned hers. I do not feel like I've said anything wrong. I realize that nobody cares, and I don't really care whether others care or not.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Honesty hurts.

Being childfree is a qualification for any girlfriend, and I'm up front about that from the beginning. I've turned down women who had or wanted kids in the past and will continue to do so.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Honesty hurts.

Being childfree is a qualification for any girlfriend, and I'm up front about that from the beginning. I've turned down women who had or wanted kids in the past and will continue to do so.

I'm sure you're a catch
  • Mikkimeow
    Options

I tried that, by the way, and you would notice that if you go back through to my earlier posts on this thread. In fact, I even applauded the OP earlier on. Then the OP was consumed with group-think and started questioning my knowledge level (which I was up front about from my first post). So I questioned hers. I do not feel like I've said anything wrong. I realize that nobody cares, and I don't really care whether others care or not.

Group think implies that I have sided with others on this forum. I am simply interested in why you feel the need to call children brats, call out every "good" "bad" parent out there, and coined yourself a veritable scrooge of advice. There is giving honest, genuine thoughts on a forum, and then there is airing out your obvious frustrations with the opposite sex and their offspring. Parenting is done a thousand ways, and those "brats" you have spoken of may be very well great kids when they aren't in the presence of some crotchety grump that needs to grumble over people actually raising tiny human beings.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Nice personal attack. I'm not the reporting type, but you're really playing the odds that no one reading this is in an 8 page thread.

This is no more of a personal attack than what the OP (and others) have been saying to me; and quite frankly, if you do not want my comments on this, post on a "mommy" board. If you want responses from anybody and everybody, then post on MFP's Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games board.

So, me saying that you are incredibly judgemental for not having children is... an attack?

Saying I'm not an expert because I do not have children is no more of a personal attack than me saying you are not an expert because you do not know everything about how to handle children.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options

Saying I'm not an expert because I do not have children is no more of a personal attack than me saying you are not an expert because you do not know everything about how to handle children.

I haven't once claimed to be an expert in parenting. In fact, I've given people opportunity to throw out some sound advice. Your "advice" is crudely disguised mockery of parenting. If you knew what raising a toddler was like, you would not be fighting this. Just let it happen... accept your ignorance of this subject...
    inconceivable.jpg
  • PRMinx
    Options

Of course she challenged your knowledge. You're arm-chair quarterbacking. If someone was giving me advice about something I knew they had no first-hand experience with, I would challenge them as well. I'm sure you would do the same.

There are ways to be a moderately productive part of this discussion if you don't have kids. But, quite honestly, if you don't have kids and you haven't experienced raising a child, then you really can't say with authority what is right and what is wrong. I don't have children and I'm keenly aware that I cannot give any kind of relevant advice on tantrum best practices.

But that's all beside the point. I did see the post where you re-evaluated your position on ignoring the tantrum. The truth is, however, that your tone took it to a level it didn't need to go and, unfortunately for you, no one is going to listen to anything you have to say now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Group think implies that I have sided with others on this forum. I am simply interested in why you feel the need to call children brats, call out every "good" "bad" parent out there, and coined yourself a veritable scrooge of advice. There is giving honest, genuine thoughts on a forum, and then there is airing out your obvious frustrations with the opposite sex and their offspring. Parenting is done a thousand ways, and those "brats" you have spoken of may be very well great kids when they aren't in the presence of some crotchety grump that needs to grumble over people actually raising tiny human beings.

And guess what, good for you that you don't want children. The gene pool stays a little more pure this generation.

First, I applauded you for asking for advice and acknowledging you needed help. Then you started to take on the ideas from others that "kids will be kids."

Second, I call misbehaving children brats. If it helps you feel better, my mom called me a brat when I misbehaved as a child.

Third, I'm not "calling out" parents for either being "good" or "bad." I'm suggesting a course of action based on an impartial analysis of the situation described. I'm 100% honest about where I'm coming from (full disclosure).

Fourth, I have no problem with the "opposite sex." I will be just as upset with men as I am with women if their kids destroy my shopping, dinner, whatever... Anybody that knows me well is aware that I not only have no problems with women, but that I go out of my way to support feminist causes. This thread has nothing to do with the "opposite sex."

Fifth, In the event where I cannot help being around children, I ignore them as much as possible. I don't feel like I'm "grumpy" as much as that I'm just there... if your kids are screaming, it isn't because I'm trying to buy groceries or do laundry or whatever (or at least it shouldn't be).
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Do you even know where kids come from?
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have a 1 1/2 toddler that loves to go wherever mommy goes. The problem is that she also wants to do exactly what she wants while we are out in public. Case and point being this weekend. I needed to go grocery shopping, and made sure my little one had a nap and a big snack before heading out. We get to the store, and everything is going great. About 15 minutes in, my daughter sees the rack that holds all the shiny plastic toys and starts screaming, "BUBBLES, MOMMA, BUBBLES!" I explained to her that we had bubbles at home, but obviously she did not understand that. Once we started pushing past that spot, she completely lost it. She started crying and trying to grab things to throw out of the cart. Even though I had a full cart, I was being given death stares by everyone in the store. I took what I had and checked out as fast as I could. I am a single mom, so going to do things like grocery shopping has to be done with my little one by my side.

My question is, what do you do when your child loses their cool? Simply leave? Wait it out? I am not inclined to just give her whatever she is crying for and expect her not to do it every single time she wants something. Is there something I am missing here? Also, there was no possible way of not walking by the toy isle, it was seated directly next to the baby/toddler section, those sneaky ...

BEAT. HER. AS$.

It does a body good.
  • Mikkimeow
    Options

And guess what, good for you that you don't want children. The gene pool stays a little more pure this generation.

First, I applauded you for asking for advice and acknowledging you needed help. Then you started to take on the ideas from others that "kids will be kids."

Second, I call misbehaving children brats. If it helps you feel better, my mom called me a brat when I misbehaved as a child.

Third, I'm not "calling out" parents for either being "good" or "bad." I'm suggesting a course of action based on an impartial analysis of the situation described. I'm 100% honest about where I'm coming from (full disclosure).

Fourth, I have no problem with the "opposite sex." I will be just as upset with men as I am with women if their kids destroy my shopping, dinner, whatever... Anybody that knows me well is aware that I not only have no problems with women, but that I go out of my way to support feminist causes. This thread has nothing to do with the "opposite sex."

Fifth, In the event where I cannot help being around children, I ignore them as much as possible. I don't feel like I'm "grumpy" as much as that I'm just there... if your kids are screaming, it isn't because I'm trying to buy groceries or do laundry or whatever (or at least it shouldn't be).

All I keep imagining is this supposed swarm of "brats" that you are surrounded by. You poor thing.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Honesty hurts.

Just out of curiosity...if you hate children so much, why come into a thread about children and then continue to post?
  • Mikkimeow
    Options
    I have a 1 1/2 toddler that loves to go wherever mommy goes. The problem is that she also wants to do exactly what she wants while we are out in public. Case and point being this weekend. I needed to go grocery shopping, and made sure my little one had a nap and a big snack before heading out. We get to the store, and everything is going great. About 15 minutes in, my daughter sees the rack that holds all the shiny plastic toys and starts screaming, "BUBBLES, MOMMA, BUBBLES!" I explained to her that we had bubbles at home, but obviously she did not understand that. Once we started pushing past that spot, she completely lost it. She started crying and trying to grab things to throw out of the cart. Even though I had a full cart, I was being given death stares by everyone in the store. I took what I had and checked out as fast as I could. I am a single mom, so going to do things like grocery shopping has to be done with my little one by my side.

My question is, what do you do when your child loses their cool? Simply leave? Wait it out? I am not inclined to just give her whatever she is crying for and expect her not to do it every single time she wants something. Is there something I am missing here? Also, there was no possible way of not walking by the toy isle, it was seated directly next to the baby/toddler section, those sneaky ...

BEAT. HER. AS$.

It does a body good.

I'll beat your a*s ;)