Margarine vs Butter?

Options

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Butter, I've always had it marg is just wrong.

Fat isn't bad for you in moderation.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Definitely butter! I also switched to whole milk and it did not get in the way of weight loss. As close to nature as possible :)
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I use butter. Margarine is hydrogenated fat which our body doesn't know how to process (we don't have the right enzymes to break it down) so it stays in the system for longer and can contribute to build up of fatty deposits.

I used to use marg but in my recent research for a lesson I was teaching (newly qualified science teacher) i found out all this scary stuff about the molecular structure that literally shocked me seeing as they sell this stuff as a "healthy" alternative.

This.

I once did an Open University chemistry summer school, and one of the experiments was to break margarine down into its constituents. Wow - I swear, no student there would ever eat margarine again! It's essentially a gloop of plastic, made to look edible. I'm no 'clean' eater by any measure, but I wouldn't touch margarine again with a bargepole. Butter all the way for me!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    347-91761.png
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I also switched to whole milk and it did not get in the way of weight loss. As close to nature as possible :)

There's a dairy near my parents' home that produces non-homogenized, low-temp-pasteurized, Jersey milk. They sell it in glass half-gallon bottles. You have to shake the milk up before pouring a glass, to mix the cream back in that's risen to the top. Wonderful stuff!
  • joyfylgrl
    Options
    I'm way more concerned about the overly processed fake stuff in margarine than any of the fat that's in butter.

This!!!!

Although, I love me some olive oil as well as butter! Toast with EVOO on in the morning???? AMAZING!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Butter.

Bacon is a seasoning, btw, not a meat. Just so you know.

AND SEASONINGS HAVE NO CALORIES!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Butter in the first round by TKO!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Butter, without a doubt. We go through 4 pounds about every 2 weeks and we are still losing weight.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    For the past year or so, I exclusively buy/use Amish roll butter.
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    For cooking I use unsalted stick butter and for spreads I use smart balance. I think food tastes better when cooked in butter...less dry.
  • parker313_99
    parker313_99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold butter. I love the way it tastes.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,031 Member
    Options
    For cooking I use unsalted stick butter and for spreads I use smart balance. I think food tastes better when cooked in butter...less dry.

Just picking up on this point - since I was one of few posters who said they use margarine.
    I use it for spreading on sandwiches and crumpets and suchlike.

I dont cook with it. I dont cook anything in butter either - other than very small amount of non stick cooking spray, I dont cook with any oils.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil. Occasionally, I use butter for baking, but that's not very often.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Butter on things for taste, but coconut oil for cooking.
  • Aero1dynamic
    Aero1dynamic Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil. For everything.
  • Gawanne
    Gawanne Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Butter. What does margarine taste like? Wasn't it dreamt up in WW11 if memory serves me correctly because butter was rationed and scarce? I remember my mother mixing all sorts of stuff in our rationed butter to make it go further. No wonder we went mad when butter was plentiful again.
  • highcarbveganzombie
    highcarbveganzombie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Butter! I buy unsalted (my father lives with me and he has some blood pressure issues) and it tastes amazing. :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Almost plastic vs. Cream....I'll take the real food every time.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use this because 100% butter is really hard out of the fridge:

13227057_130426043337.jpg