Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    i like i cant believe its not butter
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I was raised on butter - my dad was very anti-margarine (my mom grew up with it because it was cheaper - back when you had to mix in the color to make it the color of real butter - she thought it was fun when she was a kid but it just kind of freaked me out that it didn't come the color of butter - but she grew up in the 40s and 50s) and so anything other than real butter just tastes really bad to me. I go with good old fashioned Land O Lakes (not a fan of the European butters - they are usually cultured butters and I just am not into that).
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    There's a dairy near my parents' home that produces non-homogenized, low-temp-pasteurized, Jersey milk. They sell it in glass half-gallon bottles. You have to shake the milk up before pouring a glass, to mix the cream back in that's risen to the top. Wonderful stuff!
    [/quote]

We had that when I was a kid -The bottles with the cream on the top - didn't really like the end of the milk after the cream was gone They would give away the skim milk for free ( bring your own container) after they skimmed the cream - I'm still able to get raw, unpasteurized milk with all the cream - Eastcoast Jim
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I use real butter. It tastes better, it's less processed. It's not like I'm eating it by the spoonful or anything so I don't worry much about the fat.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Margarine spread is 1/4 the cost of butter, tastes nice, my favorite non-hydrogenated brands frequently go on sale. (Blue bonnet, Parkay, imperial) I like that they spread nicely, and don't brown when making a grilled cheese.

I even use a spray butter for some things.

I wouldn't use a trans fat containing hard stick butter, because I try to not consume any transfats.

I use any spread or oil very sparingly.

I vote margarine for families and individuals on a tight budget.
  • jmbond06
    jmbond06 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use Brummel and Brown yogurt spread. It's all we ever ate growing up so I still buy it. I'm sure real butter would be much better for me though.