Can't finish my 97 cal lunch?!?! Too full!

Options
Okay, so I can honestly tell you that I've never in my life had this problem before. My lunch today is a salad with romaine lettuce, green onions, about 1 cup of zucchini, and some vinegar dressing and hot chili sauce.

I'm full! I had grapefruit for breakfast and have had about 3 glasses of water throughout the day so far, nothing out of the ordinary. MFP is telling me I have 1,061 calories left for the day... there's no way I'm coming close to that!

I know they recommend 1200 calories to lose weight steadily and with health in mind, but is this really a bad thing? I'm feeling satisfied, well, and getting good nutrition from fresh vegetables and fruits and am seriously cutting down on any types of breads/starches and animal foods.

My food was like this yesterday too, and ended the day with about 600 calories left to consume. I was too full to eat, and I even allowed myself to have a small serving of ice cream at 150 calories!

I don't feel like I should force down the food just to reach a certain number... am I okay in this thinking? I feel great. I lost 5 pounds from yesterday to today. (I am drinking a detox tea, as well, and realize some of this is water weight).

So am I right to go full steam ahead with basically a vegan diet and not worry as much about the true number because it is healthy eating and I'm not experiencing any ill effects?

There's my long-winded post. It's in my family genes. :laugh: :tongue:

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't see any potential problems
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You didn't lose 5 lbs in one day. Why bother with detox tea? Wouldn't you rather have lasting weight loss.
    I would say if you are just starting the tea, it might be making you feel full. Maybe cut down the dose. I really would stick to make sure you are hitting 1200. It's too hard to maintain that low of an intake.
    Ultimately, your gonna end up eating more anyone, but try to get in some nuts and beans, cause you need at least some nutrient dense food.
    I can understand not being hungry, but I will warn you, you just can't maintain this for very long
  • juliannebehnke
    Options
    I'm making a bean dish of some form tonight... trying to formulate a recipe yet with what I have on hand... but I do know the importance of protein and nutrients, too. :)
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    This may be fine for one or two days, but in the long-term, you're going to need to fuel your body with more calories and protein. It's likely that you'll hit a wall within the next few weeks and crash and burn if you don't eat in a sustainable way. The often quoted bare minimum is 1200, and many lose weight healthily eating more then that. You need fat an protein.
    I don't feel like I should force down the food just to reach a certain number... am I okay in this thinking? I feel great. I lost 5 pounds from yesterday to today. (I am drinking a detox tea, as well, and realize some of this is water weight).

It's unlikely that you've actually lost 5 pound. Like you said, It is most likely water weight. You'll see the scale numbers stay constant soon and then a very low calorie diet will probably seem less appealing. You don't need to detox anything. Your liver and kidneys and lungs, if functioning, detox for you.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I am thoroughly confused by this post. First of all, you lost 5 lbs in one day, that is all water weight. Don't get discouraged if you gain that back. Weight loss is not linear, it will go up and down, but hopefully more down with a calorie deficit. Secondly, if you are trying to lose 90 lbs, you must have been eating much more than 1200 calories before? 1200 should be the bare minimum, and to me and most people on here, is still way too low. I started on the 1200 plan and I was ridiculously hungry all the time and didn't lose weight. I upped my calories to 1400-1600 and started losing like crazy. I was also much happier. Calculate your BMR, eat more than that, and calculate your TDEE and eat less than it (TDEE less 20% is a healthy weight loss goal).

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Throw out the detox tea. Eat more calorie dense foods. Instead of trying to eat thousands of calories of lettuce add in things like avocado, nuts, get some protein in there - maybe some beans if you don't want to eat animal products. 97 calories is a small snack, not a meal. Your body is going to eventually rebel if you refuse to fuel it.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I lost 12lbs on 1200 calories before hitting a plateau for months and being depressed/hungry all the time. I suggest researching BMR and TDEE. Check out my diary if you want some ideas for how I hit my calorie numbers every day. I eat 2000 on days of exercise, 1650 on rest days.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh: :noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I can honestly tell you that I've never in my life had this problem before. My lunch today is a salad with romaine lettuce, green onions, about 1 cup of zucchini, and some vinegar dressing and hot chili sauce.

I'm full! I had grapefruit for breakfast and have had about 3 glasses of water throughout the day so far, nothing out of the ordinary. MFP is telling me I have 1,061 calories left for the day... there's no way I'm coming close to that!

I know they recommend 1200 calories to lose weight steadily and with health in mind, but is this really a bad thing? I'm feeling satisfied, well, and getting good nutrition from fresh vegetables and fruits and am seriously cutting down on any types of breads/starches and animal foods.

My food was like this yesterday too, and ended the day with about 600 calories left to consume. I was too full to eat, and I even allowed myself to have a small serving of ice cream at 150 calories!

So am I right to go full steam ahead with basically a vegan diet and not worry as much about the true number because it is healthy eating and I'm not experiencing any ill effects?

There's my long-winded post. It's in my family genes. :laugh: :tongue:

A: throw out the detox tea. It's just a laxative and a diuretic. Not a good start.
    B: 1200 calories isn't "best" for most people. We'd need to know more about you to know if it is.
    C: Please don't go into this trying to eat the least possible, which is how it reads. Go about this in a truly healthy manner. If you're vegan be sure to be eating proteins (and fats!)
    Good luck.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I seriously have to ask, and this is a blanket question, not just aimed at the OP:

How the hell do people become obese, then say "I can't eat 1200 calories today, I'm too full!"

Seriously, it boggles my mind! Clearly these people ate way over 2000 calories every day to get that big, why can they not eat anything now!?
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Put some olive oil+balsomic viniger on your salad to increase the calories. You may feel fine for a couple days, but eating so little will catch up to you. And 5 pounds in 1 day...comeon thats at least 4.7 pounds of water haha.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I seriously have to ask, and this is a blanket question, not just aimed at the OP:

How the hell do people become obese, then say "I can't eat 1200 calories today, I'm too full!"

Seriously, it boggles my mind! Clearly these people ate way over 2000 calories every day to get that big, why can they not eat anything now!?

THIS x 100000%. /thread
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    You've got an 11 year old son.
    You want to be able to keep up with him right?
    You're gonna have to eat waaaaaaaaaaaay more than 250 calories to do that.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Well, this post certainly has it all.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    Eating that little is not sustainable. If you want lasting, long term weight loss, eat more. Calorie dense foods such as flapjacks etc.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Eat some ice cream.

There's always room for ice cream.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    EAT.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

lmfao.

and lol @ this
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm going to recommend you go take a look at this thread and then think about what sort of weight loss result you want:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1379930-hair-loss-after-weight-loss
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Is this real life? No no... for real guys, where's the hidden camera?!