1200 Calories some sort of sin??

Options
Why do some people come down on those of us who eat 1200 Calories a day? I am eating that amount not by choice but because I am on a medication that causes weight gain unless I exercise I will gain weight, and if I want to lose weight then 1200 calories is what my DR told me to eat. Have I tried eating more? Yup and no weight loss. Would I like more food and still lose? Yup. So when someone comes on saying they can't lose weight eating more calories maybe their is a reason and they just aren't saying. Just think we should all be helpful and not so judgmental of one another. Just saying.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Or you can use the search function. Just saying.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    So noted. You are following your doctor's recommendation. Please, carry on.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    K
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Anyone's calorie intake is based on age. I am a grandmother so I do fine with 1200 calories a day. Now someone who is 21 years old, needs more.
  • mwcontois
    mwcontois Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 1200 cal diet until I get to a level of weight that my knees can handle more impact and more strenuous exercise. Some people may have an issue with that diet plan as it may cause metabolic rate changes that are hard to reverse. But other than that, who cares? I don't. And you shouldn't care either. You need to do what works for you and ignore comments from others that may be coming from insensitivity or just plain ignorance. Find those here that are supportive, not condescending and belittling. You will find those people wherever you go in life. Ignore them and stay positive. Keep working and doing what you're doing.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating 1200 calories. You can get very good nutrition at that level. Fresh fruit, lowfat yogurt, vegetables, chicken breast, whole wheat bread, bison meat, eggs, string cheese at 80 calories a stick, salsa, lite salad dressings, reasonable portions of starches... It's what I'm doing. I have hypothyroidism and am middle aged, and I am still working on my weight loss. If I didn't work out, eating 1200, I wouldn't lose either, I would maintain! Sometimes you may need nutritional supplements but that's okay. You can get high quality ones at reasonable prices, especially using coupons, specials, and discounts. Sometimes people think they know everything but they don't live in your body, to heck with unenlightened opinions.
  • sweetnsassy4evr
    sweetnsassy4evr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My dietician gave me a calorie goal and told me not to go under 1200 calories and to try not to go over the goal. There are some days it's difficult to stay under the goal and others where I have to eat something late at night just to get to 1200 calories. Everyone is different, every situation is different, every day can be different. You do you and don't worry what others think! You are doing this for you ... not them!!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you are under a doctor's care and trust him/her then that is who you should be listening to in the first place - those who are overseeing your health. However, it is important to look at the reasons people object to some people who eat 1200 calories before judging them. It works both ways.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people out there.

There is a lot of variation along the axes of height, age, weight, gender, health, medication, and activity level.

The subset of people who can healthily lose weight when taking in 1200 calories a day total is small but it is by no means nonexistent.

The subset of people who are trying to lose weight taking in 1200 calories a day total is a much larger population than the latter.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's not a sin. It may or may not be appropriate for someone, based on details such as their individual statistics, health history, personality, etc.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've found people in forums just like to stir stuff up. Ignore them if its working for you. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Here's my last post on the 1200 topic:

Folks: play with the calculators. Become a 30 year old of varying heights, and weights, then vary your age. Then consider menopause at each age. Then consider hypothyroidism. No, it's not impossible for people to lose weight, but... the challenges DO vary.

My sister is a great example. She's short. She's 60+ and she's over weight. Her BMR is about 1100. Her TDEE is about 1400. That's a tiny weight loss window. Then factor in menopause and hypothyroidism (half a thyroid even). Her window between loss and maintenance may be about 100 calories. Her margin of error is pretty small.

Consider me and my other sister. Same basic height. If we both walk 30 minutes she burns about half the calories I do. Because she's older. And has a slower metabolism, and less LBM...

If my friend who's my age and height but weighs about 100LBS more and I go for a 30 minute run, logic says she'll burn more, because she weighs more, but there may be other factors at play.

My point: we're all different. To jump in and say a priori: "I'm losing at 2300" means nothing.
    Everyone needs to decide how to best fuel their body and create a deficit. And for each of us, it's going to be different.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Anyone's calorie intake is based on age. I am a grandmother so I do fine with 1200 calories a day. Now someone who is 21 years old, needs more.
    It's based on age, gender, starting weight and LBM etc.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and a grandmother. I tried 1200 and it was fine the first couple of months but had to bump it up to 1400 because I was getting sick from not eating enough. Age really doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. But with the OP having her Dr tell her she needs to do this then that is what she should do. And I don't knock anyone wanting to do 1200 calories. If that works for you then rock on.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Here's when I say something about it:

The people who are on the borderline between a healthy weight and underweight who say they do cardio out the wazoo WILL be advised to eat a lot more and lift stuff, without exception. Bottom line - at that point unless they are under average height by a fair margin, they don't need to lose anything at all and it's a body composition issue so the answer is not 1200 calories as a general rule (noted: some people are advised that 1200 is a maintenance level for whatever physical, physiological or medical reason and I respect that -- I'm talking about the people trying to diet when they're already at the low end of healthy weight or already underweight).

Other than that, so long as you're eating in a balanced way and are fueling your body properly, go for it! Especially if you're under medical supervision.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Or you can use the search function. Just saying.
    Or she can post her own question.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've found people in forums just like to stir stuff up. Ignore them if its working for you. :)

Funny, that's exactly what I thought the OP was doing.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Funny, that's exactly what I thought the OP was doing.

:laugh: I see what you did there
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...ok. I would suggest not letting complete strangers on the internet upset you. and you do realise that the worlds a big ol place and we are not all going to agree.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you, I am flexible with my calories I usually eat between 1200-1400 calories, Im 58, hypothyroid and lose weight just fine.