1200 Calories some sort of sin??

Options

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Some people are just really judgmental, they never they probably never been in our shoe to experience the way we go through.

What about the judgmental mentality of the 1200 calories police that fails to realize that although 1200 calories may be appropriate for some people, it is not always the case for many of them? Should the people on this forum ignore those who are clearly going down a potentially dangerous path in order to achieve their health goals?

I'd say "dangerous" is pushing it. 1200 net calories is very unlikely to be dangerous, and while it's possible to be malnourished at 1200 calories it's also possible to be malnourished at 2000 calories. If it was so dangerous, you wouldn't see it commonly recommended by doctors, health organizations and the like. More likely it's just going to be unproductive for a lot of people to eat such an aggressive deficit, as it's more restrictive, they're more likely to go hungry and they're more likely to lack the willpower to stick with it and give up after a few weeks. But calling it dangerous is a stretch.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Some people are just really judgmental, they never they probably never been in our shoe to experience the way we go through.

What about the judgmental mentality of the 1200 calories police that fails to realize that although 1200 calories may be appropriate for some people, it is not always the case for many of them? Should the people on this forum ignore those who are clearly going down a potentially dangerous path in order to achieve their health goals?

I'd say "dangerous" is pushing it. 1200 net calories is very unlikely to be dangerous, and while it's possible to be malnourished at 1200 calories it's also possible to be malnourished at 2000 calories. If it was so dangerous, you wouldn't see it commonly recommended by doctors, health organizations and the like. More likely it's just going to be unproductive for a lot of people to eat such an aggressive deficit, as it's more restrictive, they're more likely to go hungry and they're more likely to lack the willpower to stick with it and give up after a few weeks. But calling it dangerous is a stretch.

While it may be a stretch or pushing it for you, it still may be dangerous for others. The main point is it all boils down to the dietary requirements of each individual and should be looked at on a case by case basis because some are netting 1200 while others are consuming 1200 as a total. A 1200 calorie total and creating a larger deficiency with exercise won’t just leave some people hungry with lack of will power. It could be very dangerous over a long period of time.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    The problem with mfp is that a lot of people on here 'think' they're an expert except they're not experts at all. Some of it is well-intention-ed but a lot of it is just arrogance and ignorance which is just the worst combination and unfortunately a common combination on these forums. Unfortunately many people on here are just big know-it-alls and they would in fact try to contradict God himself given the opportunity. I'm really sorry that you've encountered this. Try not to let it get to you and don't argue with them, here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcPfWt0l0V8
    (48 second vid that'll make you smile)

Wish you the absolute best with your weightloss journey :flowerforyou:

but, how do you really feel about MFP peeps? :laugh:

lol :laugh: I re-read that. Im sorry if that sounded a bit harsh. It's just after 3 years on here, I've noticed a pattern. And a lot of the time its the same people over and over again, they think they know best and they're not content to give their own views, they have to put down everybody else's views. You get used to reading it and 99.99% of the time I keep quiet and stay out of it. But then I read the op's post and she's trying to lose on 1200 on her doctors advice and people are telling her she should do this or that instead...who contradicts medical advice?! well that's a new level. I mean that's just not on and I'm pretty sure it breaks forum rules.

But look it, for the most part mfp peeps are the absolute salt of the earth :heart: I have met so many wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and inspiring people. I have been very lucky to have made such great friends here :heart: :heart: :heart:

:laugh: I totally get you, it's just that the 1200 cal thing is a tiger net that every one runs to get snared in, as opposed to just getting snared. It's up to *you* as the individual to question, given the advice as to the possible consequences, whether or not it's for you.

Multiple times in this thread, people have pointed out that if you're following your doctor's advice & you trust your doctor, this doesn't apply, so carry on. Really, it's appropriate for some people, not necessary for most, but if you know the how & why, you can argue your point succinctly. Instead there's just hurt feelings and had pats being passed around for poor little 1200 sad sack that everyone is just kicking around as if there aren't any puppies left :tongue:

:blushing: However, you, my friend, get bonus points for using the phrase 'look it' :blushing: I've only ever heard that phrase on the streets of NYC :heart:
  • pjstar31
    pjstar31 Posts: 26
    Options
    "seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account."

^ THIS!

I'm 6'2", over 300 pounds (considerably overweight), work a desk job 8 hours per day and MFP says I can have 2,150 calories. If MFP says you got 1200 calories as your number then you more than likely didn't put some information in correctly.

That being said..... I never get near 2,150 calories. I stick to as close to 1200-1400 NET calories as I can but I'm certainly not going to freak out if I end up at 1800-1900 calories.

As others have said, if your doctor says it's ok then it's ok. Listen to your body. If you're not getting light headed, have lack of energy, etc then you're fine.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Fact is, you can be malnourished even if you are overeating.
    The OP is doing this with her physicians advice. For those of you who come on this forum and tell anyone how many calories they should, or should not be eating, what are your qualifications to give any advice to people you have no knowledge of? This is a daily topic here, and most people who respond are not qualified to give advice to anyone.

and I certainly include myself in those not qualified to give anyone advice on this.
  • Branstin
    Options
    The OP is doing this with her physicians advice. For those of you who come on this forum and tell anyone how many calories they should, or should not be eating, what are your qualifications to give any advice to people you have no knowledge of? This is a daily topic here, and most people who respond are not qualified to give advice to anyone.

Who in this thread has advised the OP to not listen to her doctor?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    While it may be a stretch or pushing it for you, it still may be dangerous for others. The main point is it all boils down to the dietary requirements of each individual and should be looked at on a case by case basis because some are netting 1200 while others are consuming 1200 as a total. With a 1200 calorie total and creating a larger deficiency with exercise won’t just leave some people hungry with lack of will power. It could be very dangerous over a long period of time.
    I would be interested in outside sources that say 1200 in food intake (including with normal exercise levels, so not even 'eating back') is dangerous for anyone overfat.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that anyone gave anyone a hard time about it? I'm 5'1 and only 10lbs overweight. I recently switched from 1200 to eating a little less than 1100 a day... I still get 100g of protein a day and eat fruits and vegetables...what would be the issue? I'm not going hungry or anything.

Sigh.

What?

Don't eat under 1200 is what. (that is why the other poster "sighed" at you.) Under eating will bite you in the butt later. You need to eat at least your BMR to keep your organs and body functioning properly. :flowerforyou:
  • Branstin
    Options
    While it may be a stretch or pushing it for you, it still may be dangerous for others. The main point is it all boils down to the dietary requirements of each individual and should be looked at on a case by case basis because some are netting 1200 while others are consuming 1200 as a total. With a 1200 calorie total and creating a larger deficiency with exercise won’t just leave some people hungry with lack of will power. It could be very dangerous over a long period of time.
    I would be interested in outside sources that say 1200 in food intake (including with normal exercise levels, so not even 'eating back') is dangerous for anyone overfat.

I would be interested in outside sources that states it can't be dangerous for some individuals.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The problem with mfp is that a lot of people on here 'think' they're an expert except they're not experts at all. Some of it is well-intention-ed but a lot of it is just arrogance and ignorance which is just the worst combination and unfortunately a common combination on these forums. Unfortunately many people on here are just big know-it-alls and they would in fact try to contradict God himself given the opportunity. I'm really sorry that you've encountered this. Try not to let it get to you and don't argue with them, here's why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcPfWt0l0V8
    (48 second vid that'll make you smile)

Wish you the absolute best with your weightloss journey :flowerforyou:

but, how do you really feel about MFP peeps? :laugh:

lol :laugh: I re-read that. Im sorry if that sounded a bit harsh. It's just after 3 years on here, I've noticed a pattern. And a lot of the time its the same people over and over again, they think they know best and they're not content to give their own views, they have to put down everybody else's views. You get used to reading it and 99.99% of the time I keep quiet and stay out of it. But then I read the op's post and she's trying to lose on 1200 on her doctors advice and people are telling her she should do this or that instead...who contradicts medical advice?! well that's a new level. I mean that's just not on and I'm pretty sure it breaks forum rules.

But look it, for the most part mfp peeps are the absolute salt of the earth :heart: I have met so many wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and inspiring people. I have been very lucky to have made such great friends here :heart: :heart: :heart:

:laugh: I totally get you, it's just that the 1200 cal thing is a tiger net that every one runs to get snared in, as opposed to just getting snared. It's up to *you* as the individual to question, given the advice as to the possible consequences, whether or not it's for you.

Multiple times in this thread, people have pointed out that if you're following your doctor's advice & you trust your doctor, this doesn't apply, so carry on. Really, it's appropriate for some people, not necessary for most, but if you know the how & why, you can argue your point succinctly. Instead there's just hurt feelings and had pats being passed around for poor little 1200 sad sack that everyone is just kicking around as if there aren't any puppies left :tongue:

:blushing: However, you, my friend, get bonus points for using the phrase 'look it' :blushing: I've only ever heard that phrase on the streets of NYC :heart:

hmm I suppose for me, the crux of it is, did the op ask the forum for opinions on her doctors orders to go to a 1200 cal diet? If she did, fair enough carry on forum carry on but if not...:huh: well I think liberties have been taken. ..and apologies are due. Our op has been upset by some unsolicited advice.

Ha do they say 'look it' in NYC, well I'm impressed, that is definitely an Irishism :wink: :flowerforyou:

Also *hides all the puppies* :laugh: (just in case)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I would be interested in outside sources that states it can't be dangerous for some individuals.
    I've started collecting some in my profile. If you have ones that support that it can be dangerous, I'd like to include those, too.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories some sort of sin??

Yes, a sin for which you must pay by reading the MFP "Hello Healthy" blog in perpetuity.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    [
    So then if you're not qualified, certified, licensed to give out advice, why are you here on the forum?

Right everybody who isn't qualified, certified or licensed to give out advice, out you go, off you go now, get out of here.

tumbleweed-o.gif
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Just about everything "can" be dangerous. A baby can choke on a lego. You can stab yourself with a pencil. You can die from drinking too much water. You're not going to find studies that say 1200 calories can never be dangerous for any individual, ever, under any circumstances - but that's a silly thing to expect in the first place.

Assuming proper nutrition and for an overfat individual, what is this mysterious danger you keep talking about? And I'll go ahead and say that I don't think 1200 calorie diets are the best idea for the vast, vast majority of people, but that's more due to restrictiveness, satiety issues, and a greater risk of non-adherence over time, not some unnamed danger.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    You really don't think much of people who disagree with your beliefs on low calorie diets. I would love to know how much you eat a day as your profile is locked down.
    I like the people just fine. I don't like the spread of misinformation and treating people who choose a different method than you as misinformed.

What you choose to eat is up to you. No one's trying to talk you into anything. My intake is irrelevant but my profile pic is pretty indicative of an average day for me during weight loss (1300ish).

I've posted and posted and posted studies and evidence and usually anything I post is brushed off. Almost no one posts studies that support their side. They seem to believe it because some people with pretty tickers and pics believe it. Someone did post two studies in the argument yesterday but they were about protein intake, not calories.

Walking along... Your profile says that you're 49 years old. We over-40 types don't need as many calories as younger people. And from your name, I'm guessing that you aren't into strength or resistance training (an assumption, of course, I could be wrong)
    Like so many others have said, CONTEXT means much.

SO MANY of the "under 1200 calorie" threads are from young people trying to shed a few vanity pounds while killing themselves in the gym.
    Not only is the that not enough food to fuel them, they start running the risk of injuries because they're pushing themselves to run without adequate fuel.

Some may go overboard, but most of us identify with those young people and don't want them to make the mistakes we made.
  • Branstin
    Options

I've started collecting some in my profile. If you have ones that support that it can be dangerous, I'd like to include those, too.

You will never find any legit sources that will ever claim eating a 1200 or less calorie diet is good for everyone any more than I could find legit sources that claim a 1200 or less calorie diet is bad for everyone. People are different and their dietary needs will be different as well. This is the reason the one size fits all will never apply. Nonetheless, I don't think it is wrong for people to question those eating 1200 calories outside of a doctor's care because a lot of time it is a bogus number generated by MFP based on the way the OP enters his or her information. In these cases, shouldn’t the OP be informed that it is possible for him/her to eat more and still lose weight and allow to him or her to make the final decision? Is there something wrong with this gesture?

Since you are collecting links, here is one for you:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think people hate on the 1200 calorie thing because most of the posts on are from girls with profiles who say they're 18, who are actually 15, who think they're fat, who are actually only 105lbs, and who want to lose 3 more lbs to they can fit into a slightly smaller bikini for Chad's awesome pool party is next week.

/thread.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I think people hate on the 1200 calorie thing because most of the posts on are from girls with profiles who say they're 18, who are actually 15, who think they're fat, who are actually only 105lbs, and who want to lose 3 more lbs to they can fit into a slightly smaller bikini for Chad's awesome pool party is next week.

exactly!