Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mau7upT9f21qf5oxj.gif
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    So noted. You are following your doctor's recommendation. Please, carry on.

This.

If I had a nickel for every time a person crashes a thread with "well, I'm older/physically disabled/morbidly obese/under a doctor's care/metabolically compromised."

People are usually not talking about you. They are usually talking to someone in their mid-twenties who is otherwise healthy and trying to lose a few pounds of vanity weight by starving themselves.

^ Yep this. The exceptions are the rarity but with everyone eating this few calories you run the risk of being malnourished or deficient in some nutrients. You also run the risk of losing muscle without careful management of nutrient intake and strength training.

If you have a legitimate need to eat this low of calories then most of these posts are not aimed at you or you are being lumped in with the vast majority of people that are trying to lose some vanity weight as fast as they can.
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the OP.

And for those making their "funny" comments, the OP is right, too often when someone want to ask a question, and they mention eating 1200 calories...omg! Which makes it hard for those of us eating less (for whatever reason, excluding ed) to even ask a question. because we will be rudely in many ways told, to eat more (which isn't working for us).

I think that is the point the OP has when starting this thread.
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options
    Or you can use the search function. Just saying.
    Or she can post her own question.

^5
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am on a medication that causes weight gain unless I exercise I will gain weight, and if I want to lose weight then 1200 calories is what my DR told me to eat. Have I tried eating more? Yup and no weight loss. Would I like more food and still lose? Yup.
    Has your Dr prohibited you from exercising? If not, is there a reason why you don't exercise? You could cut yourself more slack if you did.
  • missbellz
    missbellz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do 1200cal a day, it works for me. Jenny Craig put me on 1200 when I was doing that, I don't see it's an issue. Maybe if you're a 6ft, male in your 20's
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Or you can use the search function. Just saying.
    Or she can post her own question.

^5

Since the OP seems overly sensitive of her intake, I find it funny that she chose to pose a public admonishment. You white knights have a lovely evening.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why do some people come down on those of us who eat 1200 Calories a day?

More commonly people just overgeneralize about what's appropriate from their own experience. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is a sin. So is asking a question about it, or one of the many other hot-button issues on this forum. Expect to be ridiculed, made fun of and generally made to feel small for asking the question in the first place (I haven't read the rest of the posts here but I can imagine). You may even get lucky and get a personal attack. This is not the place for new people just trying to learn how to live a healthier life, it's for experts only. My advice is to do a search and see if you can figure out the answer on your own instead of expecting the majority of people here to give you a helpful response to any of your questions. (insert sarcasm font).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is a sin. So is asking a question about it, or one of the many other hot-button issues on this forum. Expect to be ridiculed, made fun of and generally made to feel small for asking the question in the first place (I haven't read the rest of the posts here but I can imagine). You may even get lucky and get a personal attack. This is not the place for new people just trying to learn how to live a healthier life, it's for experts only. My advice is to do a search and see if you can figure out the answer on your own instead of expecting the majority of people here to give you a helpful response to any of your questions. (insert sarcasm font).

tumblr_inline_molnl1Dxhh1qz4rgp.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why do some people come down on those of us who eat 1200 Calories a day?

More commonly people just overgeneralize about what's appropriate from their own experience. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Good post.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_molnl1Dxhh1qz4rgp.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • missbellz
    missbellz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand what's happened in this thread, although I'm very familiar with forums, I'm too noobish here to know what's gone on here.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Anyone's calorie intake is based on age. I am a grandmother so I do fine with 1200 calories a day. Now someone who is 21 years old, needs more.
    I am 45 and a grandmother. I tried 1200 and it was fine the first couple of months but had to bump it up to 1400 because I was getting sick from not eating enough. Age really doesn't have a whole lot to do with it. But with the OP having her Dr tell her she needs to do this then that is what she should do. And I don't knock anyone wanting to do 1200 calories. If that works for you then rock on.

Age really does have a whole lot to do with it. The age at which one became a parent (or grandparent) really doesn't. One's metabolism tends to slow with age.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I do 1200cal a day, it works for me. Jenny Craig put me on 1200 when I was doing that, I don't see it's an issue. Maybe if you're a 6ft, male in your 20's

I'm a 5'2 woman in her mid 30's - that's too low for me.

1200 "works" for everyone. (obv baring extreme outliers)

Is it appropriate for everyone - no. Different circumstances. I'd bet money you could lose eating more - but hey - if it "works" for you. :flowerforyou:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this:

15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

Extracted from Trogalicious' post for newbies: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • divinedivasceo
    divinedivasceo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's your body and you know what works for you. Plain and simple. With all the voices in the world sometimes it's easy to want to listen to this or that especially when we so want to lose the weight but when it come down to it, you have to do what is right for you. Right now, I am on 1200 and am not in any way depriving myself. I have done it before and have medical reasons for doing so and have age reasons, etc... I don't have to justify myself to anyone. It is my journey. I support your decision and want only success for you. You go girl!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    So noted. You are following your doctor's recommendation. Please, carry on.

This.

If I had a nickel for every time a person crashes a thread with "well, I'm older/physically disabled/morbidly obese/under a doctor's care/metabolically compromised."

People are usually not talking about you. They are usually talking to someone in their mid-twenties who is otherwise healthy and trying to lose a few pounds of vanity weight by starving themselves.

Or they're 19 with 9lbs to lose, a locked diary, and either don't understand the whole "net" thing...won't say if it's 1200 net or gross...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think the people who think it's too low for them often mean "I can't stick to my diet at that level because it's hard".

There is an exaggerated belief here that you can lose a lot less lean body mass from slower weight loss and that for some reason today's workout calories ought to come from today's food.

And the common opinion that not losing at a shallow deficit is doing it wrong and destined for failure and it means you're misinformed and impatient.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's your body and you know what works for you. Plain and simple. With all the voices in the world sometimes it's easy to want to listen to this or that especially when we so want to lose the weight but when it come down to it, you have to do what is right for you. Right now, I am on 1200 and am not in any way depriving myself. I have done it before and have medical reasons for doing so and have age reasons, etc... I don't have to justify myself to anyone. It is my journey. I support your decision and want only success for you. You go girl!

Um, OK....

You didn't read the thread, did you?

No one would tell you not to do it. It has been posted multiple times, within this thread, which individuals the notion of 1200 might be too low is for, and why many point it out.