Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Mental health is important.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What if I'm already getting energy from veggies and fruits, which also contain mineral, vitamins, antioxidants, etc. A quick rush of energy won't give me any benefit if I don't need it while I'm sitting in front of a computer working for 8 hours. Won't that turn into adipose tissue because I'm not really using that glucose in my bloodstream?

Not if you're not in a calorie surplus.
    Really?

Really!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why competitors use energy gels during races. Or jelly babies.

It is a mystery.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    nutritional benefits - very few.

Nothing good or bad about sugar. It serves a purpose but when it comes to nutrition - pretty much neutral.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    90c3b766d45c83398d663a9346264881175bf97694031ac9d1650cb2f3bec867.jpg
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    To the original poster, can you define nutritional benefit?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I am very curious to see what people have to say about the nutritional benefits we get from eating/drinking foods high in processed sugar.

Besides the endless posts from people debating whether sugar is bad or not, I have not seen one person explaining what are the benefits of including foods loaded with processed sugar in our meals. Anyone?

Since you like heavy lifting, here:
    http://scholar.google.com
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Processed sugar is a standard of the American (and many other countries') diet. The question should be what is the benefit of NOT having it in your food since you have to make a concerted effort to avoid it. Aside from one of many ways to create a caloric deficit, there isn't one.

Life would be boring if we only did what was most efficient.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Processed sugar is a poison. Given the choice in a survival situation, no sugar is a better survival option than eating sugar.

Agreed - I'm a firm believer that processed sugar isn't the best for you.

But I'm also fairly confident that in the 18th century, those sailors weren't eating Haribo or other "processed" sugar that we see today. More likely, it was as unrefined (aside from being actual sugar cane) as it could possible be gotten.

9 days on a desert island drinking rum...well rum is a diuretic, yes it contains a helluva lot of sugar, but in the 18th century rum was also around 57%abv. Dehydration was likely a huge factor, not caused by sugar, rather by a lack of actual water and lots of alchol consumption, no?

Anyway - sorry - total hi-jacking. As you were. :wink:
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What has mental health got to do with processed sugar?
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    90c3b766d45c83398d663a9346264881175bf97694031ac9d1650cb2f3bec867.jpg
    :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    Options

For some people, the unnecessary avoidance of food could be considered mentally disordered.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Nothing good or bad about sugar. It serves a purpose but when it comes to nutrition - pretty much neutral.

Energy

I have a hard time peeling an orange when on my bicycle.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I am very curious to see what people have to say about the nutritional benefits we get from eating/drinking foods high in processed sugar.

Besides the endless posts from people debating whether sugar is bad or not, I have not seen one person explaining what are the benefits of including foods loaded with processed sugar in our meals. Anyone?
    sugar has calories. Calories provide the body with energy so we need calories. End of thread

There are surely more nutritionally beneficial sources of calories than simple sugar?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Carbohydrate is a macro nutrient. Keyword: nutrient. Sugar is a carbohydrate.

In some contexts, this can be a nutritional benefit.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What if I'm already getting energy from veggies and fruits, which also contain mineral, vitamins, antioxidants, etc. A quick rush of energy won't give me any benefit if I don't need it while I'm sitting in front of a computer working for 8 hours. Won't that turn into adipose tissue because I'm not really using that glucose in my bloodstream?

Not if you're not in a calorie surplus.
    Really?
    If you're in a deficit, what is there to store?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why competitors use energy gels during races. Or jelly babies.

It is a mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

One's diet is part of ones 'lifestyle'. Being balanced and happy, which includes the social or even preference factor of eating say ice-cream, is important - therefore beneficial.
  • SideSteel
    Options

sugar has calories. Calories provide the body with energy so we need calories. End of thread

There are surely more nutritionally beneficial sources of calories than simple sugar?

That depends on how you define nutritionally beneficial, and additionally whether or not a different food has more benefit is not the point of the argument.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Energy

I have a hard time peeling an orange when on my bicycle.

Is energy a nutritional benefit?