Processed Sugar

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Wait, huh? This genuinely confuses me.

Do you seriously think we're all just sitting around eating sugar-laden foods for their health benfefits?

That's a serious question, because if I'm understanding you right, this whole thing is moot. I haven't read the whole thread yet. Nobody's arguing that eating "all the sugar" is good for you.

It tastes nice. If I have calories left over to have a sugary snack, I will. But only if I've met my other dietary needs.

Why don't you just go ahead and eat rat poison. You will live longer. Sugar will kill ya quick.

You don't know that rat poison will kill me.

Everything in moderation, sweetheart.

QFT
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Processed sugar is a poison. Given the choice in a survival situation, no sugar is a better survival option than eating sugar.

Digesting processed sugar leaches other vitamins and minerals from our systems. The real problem is that sugar tastes good. Therefore, when making processed food, the food industry tends to dump a lot of sugar into the mixing bowl. Try this little experiment. Get two foods: a regular one and a low fat one. Check the carbs in both. If the food industry can't use fat, they know to pour in the sugar to make the food taste good. At some point, you get too much and that is bad for you.

As long as you are eating a balanced diet and getting some exercise, your body can handle a moderate amount of sugar.

Why carry sugar in a survival situation? Well, if you think it's poison then leave it at home. Me? I'll probably light some up for a signal(and with Salt Peter makes a great smoke bomb) when the ship I signal comes to the island I can eat some sugar to swim out to the ship. So, smoke signal, tastes great, and energy source. You can stay on the island since you didn't want to use the sugar. K. . .mmmmm. . .bye.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Molasses by itself is good for you, but when it's mixed with white processed sugar, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. You don't get enough of the molasses benefits in the brown sugar.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Molasses by itself is good for you, but when it's mixed with white processed sugar, it really doesn't make a lot of difference. You don't get enough of the molasses benefits in the brown sugar.

So a tablespoon of molasses mixed with brown sugar does not give you the same amount of nutrients as a tablespoon of molasses by itself?

Do you even math, brah?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I just ate a Snicker for gainz; strength & POWER *rawr*
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I feel like we are slowly working up to this:

Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

Don't forget sugar consumption=diabetes.
    tumblr_n20wrbKX1B1sj3oxho1_400.jpg
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Back to page 1... If Flavor and Taste are not important...

Jut eat the Tastee Wheat.

3QdTxTD.gif
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's been decided. We all shall now go on the Dr. Oz Sugar & Rum diet.

45822-Keanu-Bill-and-Ted-whoa-gif-Yr7D.gif

I'm in.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Flavor can be a benefit.
    Not a nutritional one
    If you are implying that a nutritional benefit is exclusively the reason to select food I would disagree entirely.

But either way, sugar provides energy. Energy is a benefit.

What if I'm already getting energy from veggies and fruits, which also contain mineral, vitamins, antioxidants, etc. A quick rush of energy won't give me any benefit if I don't need it while I'm sitting in front of a computer working for 8 hours. Won't that turn into adipose tissue because I'm not really using that glucose in my bloodstream?

I consume gel bloks on long runs.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    There is a whole lotta crazy up in here.

Therefore, I will allow you all to see my new favorite gif.

anigif_enhanced-17421-1408496607-5.gif
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Oh my god, that's a tiara. I love this so much.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes me not kill people with my coffee spoon. So, more people get to live out their meager little lives to the fullest, just because I eat candy.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Oh my god, that's a tiara. I love this so much.
    That IS a tiara. And Dave Grohl. Two of the best things in the history of everything TOGETHER.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of the people here would have an exploded head if they saw the offerings at an ultra marathon aid station. Gummy bears, pizza, REAL DEVIL COCA-COLA.

And we all know how fat and out of shape ultra marathoners are.
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think it is important, whether some people call it addiction or bad habits, that sugar is what people will get attached to the most, and it is the first thing people will look for when emotionally unstable. So, while it is true that moderation is key, sugar is probably the one food people can't control themselves about, and will be the cause of gaining extra weight and even developing health issues if not controlled in time.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think it is important, whether some people call it addiction or bad habits, that sugar is what people will get attached to the most, and it is the first thing people will look for when emotionally unstable. So, while it is true that moderation is key, sugar is probably the one food people can't control themselves about, and will be the cause of gaining extra weight and even developing health issues if not controlled in time.

So... my steak attachment... Where does that fit in?
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of the people here would have an exploded head if they saw the offerings at an ultra marathon aid station. Gummy bears, pizza, REAL DEVIL COCA-COLA.

Considering the fact people had just ran a marathon and they needed to replenish their glucose levels for both energy and their muscles, it wouldn't surprise me... Now, keep that up at breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, late nigh snack and see what happens.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Considering the fact people had just ran a marathon and they needed to replenish their glucose levels for both energy and their muscles, it wouldn't surprise me... Now, keep that up at breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, late nigh snack and see what happens.
    What?

work-2782775-4-flat550x550075f-straw-man.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options

Yes, I reach for the ladle and bag of C&H when my depression hits me.
    xFNAs8c.gif