Processed Sugar

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    This thread is a good example of context being both important and lacking.

If you can present evidence that sugar has harmful effects within a nutrient sufficient diet where energy intake is appropriate for the individual and his/her goals, then I'm all ears. And my first question will be "how much sugar is harmful" and "to whom".

When sugar either causes total calories to be in excess or it displaces needed nutrients in the diet then this is also problematic. But it DOESNT ALWAYS DO THIS as that depends on CONTEXT.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Logic....It has no place here.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Wait, huh? This genuinely confuses me.

Do you seriously think we're all just sitting around eating sugar-laden foods for their health benfefits?

That's a serious question, because if I'm understanding you right, this whole thing is moot. I haven't read the whole thread yet. Nobody's arguing that eating "all the sugar" is good for you.

It tastes nice. If I have calories left over to have a sugary snack, I will. But only if I've met my other dietary needs.

Why don't you just go ahead and eat rat poison. You will live longer. Sugar will kill ya quick.

You don't know that rat poison will kill me.

Everything in moderation, sweetheart.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat regular white granulated sugar and will continue to do so. I don't eat many sweets or drink sodas. I refuse to use sweeteners because they help in water retention which really doesn't make it much better than the sugar. I was looking into using brown sugar, but unless it says raw brown sugar, it is processed as white sugar and has molasses added to make it brown. So still, not a lot of benefit. Moderation is the best way to go and I am a firm believer that cutting things out completely that you love, usually is a big factor in quitting my weight loss journey.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Wait, huh? This genuinely confuses me.

Do you seriously think we're all just sitting around eating sugar-laden foods for their health benfefits?

That's a serious question, because if I'm understanding you right, this whole thing is moot. I haven't read the whole thread yet. Nobody's arguing that eating "all the sugar" is good for you.

It tastes nice. If I have calories left over to have a sugary snack, I will. But only if I've met my other dietary needs.

Why don't you just go ahead and eat rat poison. You will live longer. Sugar will kill ya quick.

You don't know that rat poison will kill me.

Everything in moderation, sweetheart.

Its PROCESSED rat poison. Dude, you're screwed.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just glanced over quickly, but one thing I don't think was mentioned was addictive qualities. Why would someone eat something with no nutritional benefit other than calories (energy)....what about addiction? Smoking, alcohol, and drugs are also addictive. Small amounts won't hurt you, with alcohol (specifically wine), it could can even be beneficial in moderate amounts....the moment you become addicted, it's hard to stop. I would argue that diet sweeteners, although they lack calories (which can be seen as a benefit) can ALSO be addicting...and are probably worse for your body...although they are also processed.

Addiction is just another excuse for self control!! People blame everything else, but themselves!!

Smoking, alcohol and drugs are totally different story!!
  • octaleppo
    Options
    Hi everyone

I was wondering what if I ate sugar without crossing my calories goal ??
    Nothing. You'll be fine as long as you're still getting your necessary nutrients and hitting your calorie goals.

that's great ... thanks alot .
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Plantation Unsulphered Blackstrap Molasses:

1 tbsp = 42 calories

%20 calcium
    %20 iron
    %17 potassium

That is a heck of a lot of nutrition in 42 calories. I use it for baking, I eat it off the spoon, yes I have to be careful because I will crave it, but not as bad as I'd crave something like cookies or cake.

I don't eat white sugar, but I sure as heck see no reason not to eat this type of sugar.

Wow....can I use it like brown sugar in recipes?
  • DBoone85
    Options

1 tbsp = 42 calories

%20 calcium
    %20 iron
    %17 potassium

That is a heck of a lot of nutrition in 42 calories. I use it for baking, I eat it off the spoon, yes I have to be careful because I will crave it, but not as bad as I'd crave something like cookies or cake.

I don't eat white sugar, but I sure as heck see no reason not to eat this type of sugar.

No. It is expressly forbidden by the cooking gods.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Shipwrecked sailors who ate and drank nothing but sugar and rum for nine days surely went through some of this trauma; the tales they had to tell created a big public relations problem for the sugar pushers. This incident occurred when a vessel carrying a cargo of sugar was shipwrecked in 1793. The five surviving sailors were finally rescued after being marooned for nine days. They were in a wasted condition due to starvation, having consumed nothing but sugar and rum. The eminent French physiologist F. Magendie was inspired by that incident to conduct a series of experiments with animals, the results of which he published in 1816. In the experiments, he fed dogs a diet of sugar or olive oil and water. All the dogs wasted and died. ...

For those who want to read more about this see:
    http://www.whale.to/a/dufty.html
  • ValGogo
    Options
    And like human caused climate change, for that matter.

Pinko! :wink: :wink:
  • srslybritt
    Options

1 tbsp = 42 calories

%20 calcium
    %20 iron
    %17 potassium

They will smite you from the heavens above.
  • ValGogo
    Options

1 tbsp = 42 calories

%20 calcium
    %20 iron
    %17 potassium

What can I cook with it? I've always wanted to try molasses but it seems yucky.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar to irritate you.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

1 tbsp = 42 calories

%20 calcium
    %20 iron
    %17 potassium

Pretty much any baked goods you like. It goes well in gingerbread and I made a nice date & walnut loaf cake with it in last week.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's been decided. We all shall now go on the Dr. Oz Sugar & Rum diet.

45822-Keanu-Bill-and-Ted-whoa-gif-Yr7D.gif
  • DBoone85
    Options

1 tbsp = 42 calories

%20 calcium
    %20 iron
    %17 potassium

Sugar. White, processed sugar.

~This has been a public service announcement from the Dominican Republic Sugar Growers Association.~
  • srslybritt
    Options
    I use molasses in my red sauces (barbecue, sloppy joe, etc) instead of white or brown sugar. It comes out soooo smooth and it tastes freaking amazing.

I approve of using molasses.
  • DBoone85
    Options
    Shipwrecked sailors who ate and drank nothing but sugar and rum for nine days surely went through some of this trauma; the tales they had to tell created a big public relations problem for the sugar pushers. This incident occurred when a vessel carrying a cargo of sugar was shipwrecked in 1793. The five surviving sailors were finally rescued after being marooned for nine days. They were in a wasted condition due to starvation, having consumed nothing but sugar and rum. The eminent French physiologist F. Magendie was inspired by that incident to conduct a series of experiments with animals, the results of which he published in 1816. In the experiments, he fed dogs a diet of sugar or olive oil and water. All the dogs wasted and died. ...

For those who want to read more about this see:
    http://www.whale.to/a/dufty.html

Why in God's name would ANYONE possibly want to read more about this? What I just read caused me to have a seizure and pass out.
  • srslybritt
    Options
    I eat sugar to irritate you.

I knew it! :angry:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Definitely not yucky. Improves baked beans. Great in homemade multigrain bread. Lovely used to sweeten a balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing. Required for good homemade ginger bread or ginger snaps. Good in a dark sweet barbecue sauce. Google "molasses recipes" for more.