Sugar is the new "Devil"

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I'm opposed to making humanity more vicious rather than more civilized by rewarding people with power for wealth accumulation. I see no reason why a Bush should have more decision making power in policies that affect my life than I do just because many great-great-grandaddy Bush's ago the family made a killing in the slave trade. I'd rather take my chances on direct democracy for anything that absolutely has to be decided on to maintain society together.

Thank you for the civil and intelligent discussion, though, hope you have a nice day! :flowerforyou:

well let's be fair (i am no fan of the Bush family)
    But there are wealthy on both sides of the political spectrum.
    Clinton's are doing just fine
    Gore is doing just fine
    Obama is worth millons
    Nancy Pelosi is worth a TON
    Harry Reid, ditto

So let's just say politicians......not just direct it at one family.

I see no reason why 535 ppl have the ability to determine and make choices for my life in general....outside of what is in the constitution.

Yep, been a great discussion
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I'm opposed to making humanity more vicious rather than more civilized by rewarding people with power for wealth accumulation. I see no reason why a Bush should have more decision making power in policies that affect my life than I do just because many great-great-grandaddy Bush's ago the family made a killing in the slave trade. I'd rather take my chances on direct democracy for anything that absolutely has to be decided on to maintain society together.

Thank you for the civil and intelligent discussion, though, hope you have a nice day! :flowerforyou:

Gore is doing just fine
    Obama is worth millons
    Harry Reid, ditto

I see no reason why 535 ppl have the ability to determine and make choices for my life in general....outside of what is in the constitution.

We could just strive for a dictatorship.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the tax.

But one day I would like to see soda or sweet sugary drinks be more price wise than water. But that's more me wanting to see the price of bottled water go down because it's redic. I hardly ever drink it - but live in a town that has some horrible water so if I'm somewhere that dosn't have a filter I'll go buy a bottle. I find my self wanting water sometimes but getting soda because in the end it's cheaper.

That is just crazy!!!! I'm so lucky here in South Africa because the water on tap is pretty good by most standards. I rarely have to buy bottled water.

Now that's really one for the books - WHY IS WATER MORE EXPENSIVE THAN SODA? Does not make sense.

Seems odd. I will say that the tap water is perfectly good where I live, and yet people commonly buy bottled water, so clearly price isn't the only factor. I even buy bottled myself for convenience when out and about, but I don't understand people using it rather than tap in their homes.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    And I hate the idea of "sin" taxes....

Me too. Because there's no such thing as "sin." I don't think the government should be using that term anyway. It's a subtle violation of separation of church and state.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Gore is doing just fine
    Obama is worth millons
    Harry Reid, ditto

We could just strive for a dictatorship.
    Seems we are heading that way....sadly
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

But one day I would like to see soda or sweet sugary drinks be more price wise than water. But that's more me wanting to see the price of bottled water go down because it's redic. I hardly ever drink it - but live in a town that has some horrible water so if I'm somewhere that dosn't have a filter I'll go buy a bottle. I find my self wanting water sometimes but getting soda because in the end it's cheaper.

That is just crazy!!!! I'm so lucky here in South Africa because the water on tap is pretty good by most standards. I rarely have to buy bottled water.

Now that's really one for the books - WHY IS WATER MORE EXPENSIVE THAN SODA? Does not make sense.

Seems odd. I will say that the tap water is perfectly good where I live, and yet people commonly buy bottled water, so clearly price isn't the only factor. I even buy bottled myself for convenience when out and about, but I don't understand people using it rather than tap in their homes.

Perfectly good in that it's drinkable? If that's the case then how does it actually taste? There are plenty of places where I live where the city water is drinkable but it tastes horrible. I have well water and if I drink the tap water at my mom's house I can taste the chlorine in it so while here water is perfectly fine it's not palatable.
  • DaveMurphy6
    DaveMurphy6 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not really "new"..Sugar,White Flour, and Salt have always been known as the "Three White Deaths" Reduce or get rid of these and you will be a long way on the journey to health
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Sugary drinks are not a necessity, similar to alcohol and tobacco. They are luxury items. Candy is also a luxury item. I could see a day where more things are taxed as such. It's not going to stop anyone because it's pennies on the dollar. It's a non-issue.

Every individual economic burden that the government has inflicted upon us began humbly as “pennies on the dollar”. The federal income tax didn’t start out at 30-40% (the top rate was 7%), or else there would have been an immediate Bastille Day type of revolt in DC. You start small and then ratchet it up little by little, so people don’t realize what is happening until it is too late
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It's off topic, but did come up in discussion regarding payment plans and doctors, labs, etc.

You can also bargain with some of these service providers. After all, they are in business. Businesses exist to make a profit.

Some of these businesses will allow you a major discount paying in full up front. Some will make payment plans and reduce it gradually if you pay on time. Some will charge zero interest if you pay it off within a certain time frame.

Ask. What is the worst that can happen?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't think the government should be using that term anyway. It's a subtle violation of separation of church and state.

"Sin tax" is just a colloquialism. The actual taxes aren't called that. They have more specific names.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Perfectly good in that it's drinkable? If that's the case then how does it actually taste? There are plenty of places where I live where the city water is drinkable but it tastes horrible. I have well water and if I drink the tap water at my mom's house I can taste the chlorine in it so while here water is perfectly fine it's not palatable.

Tastes just as good as bottled water. Like water.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Not really "new"..Sugar,White Flour, and Salt have always been known as the "Three White Deaths" Reduce or get rid of these and you will be a long way on the journey to health

Eh, three doesn't really work. You need 4, so you can have the Four White Horsemen of the Apocalypse: sugar, white flour, salt, and, hmm, what? Potatoes would probably be the popular choice within the "white foods kill!" movement, but how about good old white cauliflower? It seems kind of evil and even if not I understand it's a wonderful mimic so could probably pass well enough!
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    For my reference:

Bottled water in South Africa 1.358 cents/ml
    Soda 1.664 cents/ml
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Don't forget carbs ... they are in the devils bed together.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there's an argument to be made that neither butter nor flour are necessities either.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. I remember a few years back, when they wanted to raise taxes on beer in Germany. It almost started a revolution.
    In 2014 out of the 28 states in the EU Germany has the second lowest beer tax. The only country with a lower tax on beer is Bulgaria....

Maybe beer is a necessity in Germany... At least I don't think the government has any plans to try raising taxes on that any time soon...
  • CarynMacD
    CarynMacD Posts: 230
    Options
    Hahaha. I remember a few years back, when they wanted to raise taxes on beer in Germany. It almost started a revolution.
    In 2014 out of the 28 states in the EU Germany has the second lowest beer tax. The only country with a lower tax on beer is Bulgaria....

Maybe beer is a necessity in Germany... At least I don't think the government has any plans to try raising taxes on that any time soon...

I'm moving to Bulgaria! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I would be fine with a tax on anything that is supposedly 'bad' for you as long as I could earn a tax relief by exercising or eating healthily most of the time. This way I could 'earn' the bad bad bad stuff much like I already do now: I have done all my exercises and met my macros? Great, than it's ok to have a piece of devil chocolate cake ;-)