I have noticed some saying weight loss surgery is a tool.

Options

Replies

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there is a 5 yr old child that horrible dark things happened to. Things she told no one about, not even her wonderful caring family. In her stress and anxiety she found food made her feel better. Her body hid the weight quite well and no one noticed until one day they did. Then every meal she was under scrutiny and restricted. She began to eat and hoard food in secrecy. And then one day a relative who meant well said " The boys won't like you if you are fat" ....well that was just fine with her. She grew up never knowing what it felt like to run without her joints aching. Never having a choice of attractive clothing. Never feeling comfortable in her own skin, always overheated and sweating. People would say you will feel so much better when you lose the wt. Just stop eating when you are full but, what does that mean to a person who has never known normal. She would exercise and starve herself down 40 lbs every other year enduring the crippling hunger but of course that wasn't maintainable and she hadn't cured the root of the problem. Then she started cooking all her own food but still her portions were out of control. And every year added 5 more lbs. Then 2 yrs ago she met a very kind priest who was a former physician and he helped her work on the "why" of her food addiction. She quit medicating with food and began to slowly lose wt. Unfortunately she had run out of time and her health began to rapidly decline. She realized that she could die leaving a husband and young child. She started the 6 months of therapy and supervised wt loss to get approval for bariatric surgery.
    It is a wonderful feeling to be normal weight for height. To be able to tie your shoes without your vision going spotty. To rush up 3 flights of stairs and not have a wheezing attack. To run and run and run and nothing hurts. To have a brain that is filled with other thoughts instead of unrelenting food obsession. At 45 it is a very new world for me. I world I can only live in if I constantly watch my intake, exercise regularly and abstain from medicating with food. This tool helped someone who had no memory of normal find it again.

Exactly. *HUGE HUGS* to you, and congrats on your progress, and new outlook on life! No one knows the struggles of another. They don't know the cause. They don't know their past. They simply. Don't. Know. So very proud of you and your new lease on life! Keep up the good work!
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there is a 5 yr old child that horrible dark things happened to. Things she told no one about, not even her wonderful caring family. In her stress and anxiety she found food made her feel better. Her body hid the weight quite well and no one noticed until one day they did. Then every meal she was under scrutiny and restricted. She began to eat and hoard food in secrecy. And then one day a relative who meant well said " The boys won't like you if you are fat" ....well that was just fine with her. She grew up never knowing what it felt like to run without her joints aching. Never having a choice of attractive clothing. Never feeling comfortable in her own skin, always overheated and sweating. People would say you will feel so much better when you lose the wt. Just stop eating when you are full but, what does that mean to a person who has never known normal. She would exercise and starve herself down 40 lbs every other year enduring the crippling hunger but of course that wasn't maintainable and she hadn't cured the root of the problem. Then she started cooking all her own food but still her portions were out of control. And every year added 5 more lbs. Then 2 yrs ago she met a very kind priest who was a former physician and he helped her work on the "why" of her food addiction. She quit medicating with food and began to slowly lose wt. Unfortunately she had run out of time and her health began to rapidly decline. She realized that she could die leaving a husband and young child. She started the 6 months of therapy and supervised wt loss to get approval for bariatric surgery.
    It is a wonderful feeling to be normal weight for height. To be able to tie your shoes without your vision going spotty. To rush up 3 flights of stairs and not have a wheezing attack. To run and run and run and nothing hurts. To have a brain that is filled with other thoughts instead of unrelenting food obsession. At 45 it is a very new world for me. I world I can only live in if I constantly watch my intake, exercise regularly and abstain from medicating with food. This tool helped someone who had no memory of normal find it again.

Honestly, brought tears to my eyes. Good for you you have overcome so much.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

Honestly, brought tears to my eyes. Good for you you have overcome so much.

I second that.

Thank you so much for sharing that.:flowerforyou:

So easy for people to blithely say I could do xyz, anyone who cant is just lazy - if only it were that simple.
    Truth is we just dont know what shoes other people have had to walk in..
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Meh, I had 70% of my stomach surgically removed and thrown into a Mexican biodump. Hands down, best decision I ever made. I don't give a fat rat's *kitten* if y'all think I'm a lazy, easy-way-out-taking, cheater.
  • NewLifeNewHope
    Options
    I guess I don't understand that logic. I find MFP and exercise programs to be tools. I find surgery as a last ditch effort for someone who cannot get their mind and body in sync. I have nothing against it if its your choice, but for all the people that have busted their butts doing it the healthy lifestyle way I consider surgery an easy out. You thoughts?

My thought: Da fuc do you care for?

English 101??

Ah, my bad. I got you.

Normally I reserve proper English for legit questions not steeped in condescension and a clear desire to look down on others for doing things the way you did, as if there is some manner of greatness or nobility in your chosen method/what you perceive as greater suffering. The truth is doing things what you think is the hard way and 'suffering' for you cause while someone else does it what you see as the 'easier' way doesn't make you a better person, it doesn't make you great or noble or place you above them. But shaming those who choose a different path is, much like someone who is paleo shaming someone who prefers to do 80/10/10, petty and reeks of bitterness. The fact you even care, that this question ever floated around in your head let alone was deemed worthy of being shared, exposes you as a small person. This same smallness, by the way, is shown again when you act as if 'Da' and 'Fuc' or the lack of 'What' at the front of my question keep you from understanding me, so instead you snidely demand 'English 101'.

Is there anything I could further clarify for you? Diagrams perhaps, as reading phonetically is clearly beyond you?
    +1
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Everything that aids you with losing weight is a tool, wither I approve of it for myself or not.

Crash diets are a tool, and my mother makes great use of them. She maintains a stable weight all year then when she travels to visit my grandparents for two months every year she gains at least 15 pounds. Comes back, crash diets for 2-3 weeks then maintains the same weight again till next year. She looks AMAZING! When I crash diet, I tend to rebound with weight gain so it's a useless tool for me.

Weight surgery is a tool. It fits certain people's goals and mindset, and it works for some. I had a fair bit of surgeries and I would rather chew on cardboard for the rest of my life than have one more. It may not work for me, but for others it's a valuable tool.

Meal replacement shakes are a tool. I consider them to be a waste of money, but for some others who really dislike preparing meals they're worth every cent because they have their best success with them.

For me, the old fashioned diet/exercise combo is quite easy. I did not have to make drastic changes in my diet and I enjoy walking. I feel it's easy, sometimes way too easy, to lose weight. Does that mean I'm a cheater who is taking the easy way out when I could be making a real effort with a real test of willpower on a crash diet, depriving myself with meal replacements or suffering through surgery?

It's really a matter of perspective and what fits every person best, and sometimes "the hard way out" is a silly choice to make when there is a more effective choice that guarantees your success better.
  • Lnature71
    Lnature71 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Each person is unique! Each person needs to do what is best for them. I personally prefer to loss weight with diet and exercise because I know that is what is best for me. I have friends that had WLS and that is what was best for them. They did not rush into the surgery by no means. They had to have a year of counseling and proof of trying to lose on their own.
    There is no way that I will sit back and judge others for making different choices than I make. As I said in the beginning we are all unique and have different strengths and weaknesses!
  • jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why are the support or had surgery people so angry? Maybe some anger classes will help after surgery?
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    My beef with OP is for posting this in the "Success Stories" portion of the forum. People come to this part of the site to be motivated and inspired. All you have done is torn down a percentage of this group. Maybe this should have been posted at a different part of the site. I didn't read through all of the posts because I'm sure it's just defending one side or the other and nobody's minds have been changed. My point is, move this post somewhere else. Maybe "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" since you need help understanding that this is the best route for some (not you of course, that has been established).
  • Lnature71
    Lnature71 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My beef with OP is for posting this in the "Success Stories" portion of the forum. People come to this part of the site to be motivated and inspired. All you have done is torn down a percentage of this group. Maybe this should have been posted at a different part of the site. I didn't read through all of the posts because I'm sure it's just defending one side or the other and nobody's minds have been changed. My point is, move this post somewhere else. Maybe "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" since you need help understanding that this is the best route for some (not you of course, that has been established).

I agree.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Why are the support or had surgery people so angry? Maybe some anger classes will help after surgery?

Well, I guess one could also ask why you are so angry that you made a passive aggressive thread saying " if it's your choice it is fine by me" whilst egging on WLS bashing.

Anyway I don't see all the angry posts coming from people who had WLS at all, sounds like more you trying to rile it up again OP.

I am supportive of WLS for some people in some circumstances.
    I am not one of those people myself - but I can understand that not everyone is me.
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am a little annoyed by this post. I had gastric bypass in February. I have been overweight since a small child, lost weight twice with the help of MFP and keep gaining it back. I talked to my doctor and he said WLS is a great tool for those who struggle with keeping it off. By no means is this easy. Its different, it makes it easier to eat less, but you still have lots of work to do. I have make sure I get enough protein with every meal. I have to make sure I get enough fluids in each day. I still work hard. I work out five days a week. If the tool is available and someone is motivated to use it in the right way they should not be judged. I am conivinced that there is a genetic component to peoples size. Is it all genetics..no. I made poor choices but I also know if I don't eat like a bird I gain weight.

Since February I have lot 86 pounds. Its been a tough journey but I don't regeret. For once I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I dont regret it at all. I am off all my meds and feel great for my kid. And no, tax payers did not pay for my RNY. I am paying for it.
  • angelabennett62
    angelabennett62 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whatever way you choose to help yourself get the weight off is great! There is no easy way, if you choose surgery, do it by calorie deficit and exercise..whatever! Its a mental thing, its undoing all the things that got you to the point you are at. Some of this started in childhood, genetics, behavior, mindsets...who knows...the bottom line is that we are all on a journey in this life to be the best that we can be, to succeed and hopefully help others along the way. Remember everything is seedtime and harvest, what you put out , you will get back. Let's be nice! :)
  • angelabennett62
    angelabennett62 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :)
  • larsen626
    larsen626 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Tell that to someone who is 350 pounds or more, that can barely get out of their chair let alone walk 15 minutes and there numbers are all way too high?

Eating right and exercising is a tool... Weight loss surgery is also a tool... WLS isn't going to keep the weight off, it only helps someone get to a point where they can do a better job of managing the weight. They will still have to use the other tools as well if they want to keep it off.

Amen I started at a whopping 400 lbs at 5 2 I have a lot of tools wls is one
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have watched quite a few documentaries on it and hell if it looks easy. Looks like a giant pain in the nutcracker. And they regain more so than people that LOSE weight the old fashioned way. It"s a very expensive, non magic pill for which doctor"s collect quite a bit of money to perform. I don"t think it"s right that health insurance covers it either. Think the public would be better served with classes, therapy and a weight loss and fitness program. And cheaper too.
  • meonfp
    meonfp Posts: 8
    Options
    Well Said and Never Be Ashamed!!

Coming from someone else who has recently has WLS, most people in my life are very supportive of my decision. Unless someone is walking in your shoes, they have no idea what you are going through.

I myself have tried to loose weight ever since I had my son 18 years ago. After gaining 40 lbs with my pregnancy, the weight only continued to go up. I have asthma, have had endometriosis, have had to have 2 partial hysterectomies, knee problems, ankle problems, 2 foot surgeries, major depression with suicidal thoughts on more than a few occasions, a hiatal hernia, and bladder problems. I have never had diabetes or high blood pressure but with a constant daily struggle with my many health issues loosing weight was a constant battle. I have tried to loose the weight time and time again only to loose just a few lbs. And then as the cycle goes, gain it back and then some.

I've joined weight watchers more times than I can count. I finally found a locally owned gym that watched what I ate, weighed me every week, and personally motivated me on a daily basis. I went to aerobics class at the gym 3-4 times a week and joined a Sunday run-walk training class. I even learned how to run. I would run on my lunch breaks at work and joined a swim fitness class at the local college two nights a week. I did all of this at the same time for 6 months. With everything I did and as hard as I tried, I still only lost 33 lbs and only one pant size.

Weight loss surgery for me was the best decision I have ever made. It was an easy decision for me considering my many attempts. The journey to get to the operating table is not an easy one either. I had to go to two WL classes every week for 3 months where they taught me how to read labels, understand what I needed to do, how to make better choices and how to understand how my body works. Now that the surgery is over I now have to watch what I eat and take multi-vitamins and calcium supplements daily for the rest of my life. Sure I could choose to eventually eat fatty foods, but why would I? I have finally started to gain my life back and feel so much better. I am only 2 months out and have lost 50lbs. I track everyday every piece of food that I eat, I walk, I go to the gym, and I have signed back up and have been going to my Sunday class now for 4 weeks.

I have also signed up to go back to school for the first time in 20 years and feel great. I can go up a set of steps now without feeling like I'm dying. Sure I'm not at 100% of where I want to be, but I am well on my way. And sure, there are probably people out there who elect to have the surgery just to get skinny, but I'm sure most people who have had the surgery will agree that their decision to have WLS was not about getting skinny, it was about gaining the most important thing back. THEIR LIFE.

Congrats to all who have been brave enough to go through what we have been through to reclaim our lives! And THANKS to all those who support us!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have watched quite a few documentaries on it and hell if it looks easy. Looks like a giant pain in the nutcracker. And they regain more so than people that LOSE weight the old fashioned way. It"s a very expensive, non magic pill for which doctor"s collect quite a bit of money to perform. I don"t think it"s right that health insurance covers it either. Think the public would be better served with classes, therapy and a weight loss and fitness program. And cheaper too.

This is incorrect. WLS patients CAN regain weight. Most will regain a portion of the weight they lost, some will regain most or all of it, but statistically speaking they keep off MORE weight over the long term than those who lost it by diet and exercise alone. If it was not more successful for the morbidly obese than diet and exercise alone then insurance wouldn't cover it. Insurance covers it because it's a financial benefit for them to do so.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

This is incorrect. WLS patients CAN regain weight. Most will regain a portion of the weight they lost, some will regain most or all of it, but statistically speaking they keep off MORE weight over the long term than those who lost it by diet and exercise alone. If it was not more successful for the morbidly obese than diet and exercise alone then insurance wouldn't cover it. Insurance covers it because it's a financial benefit for them to do so.

Missjulesdid is actually correct. One more tidbit a few may not be aware of. WLS can actually be a life saver for obese people who suffer from uncontrollable diabetes. Some people with type 2 diabetes actually go into remission after a gastric bypass, independent of weight loss. Now imagine how much that saves for insurance companies.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!