I have noticed some saying weight loss surgery is a tool.

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The difference between anti WLS people and pro WLS people.... anit WLS dont care if you support it/had it. We arent going to do it and we arent going to give u flowers and tell you to do it.

Pro WLS surgery people cry in their cheerios over the pity of their lives, anti WLS people know their lives have been pitiful at times and move on with it.

Bottom line, you like it then do it. Good for you but dont expect the world to agree. Dont advertise you had it and you wont have to hear opposing views on it that may get you butt hurt.

I dont advertise I didnt have it......

For instance my sister had it done and she has NO IDEA how much I hate it, becasue she never asked me how I felt about it. Point is, when asked for opinions in the internet dont be surprised if you get some you may not like.

Go ahead and call me mean and whatever. I am the best friend you could ever have. Ask me if you look fat in those jeans and you do, geuss what my answer is YES. Will u LIKE it? NO. Will you walk around looking like an over stuffed sausage? NO

Appreciate the differences in people. Some will agree and some wont. Bash all u want I am old and u will not sway me on my opinion of this, then again I would consider why my opinion matters to you and bothers you so much? Perhaps the problem is you not me?

Why are the support or had surgery people so angry? Maybe some anger classes will help after surgery?

You were saying?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The difference between anti WLS people and pro WLS people.... anit WLS dont care if you support it/had it. We arent going to do it and we arent going to give u flowers and tell you to do it.

Pro WLS surgery people cry in their cheerios over the pity of their lives, anti WLS people know their lives have been pitiful at times and move on with it.

Bottom line, you like it then do it. Good for you but dont expect the world to agree. Dont advertise you had it and you wont have to hear opposing views on it that may get you butt hurt.

For instance my sister had it done and she has NO IDEA how much I hate it, becasue she never asked me how I felt about it. Point is, when asked for opinions in the internet dont be surprised if you get some you may not like.

Go ahead and call me mean and whatever. I am the best friend you could ever have. Ask me if you look fat in those jeans and you do, geuss what my answer is YES. Will u LIKE it? NO. Will you walk around looking like an over stuffed sausage? NO

Appreciate the differences in people. Some will agree and some wont. Bash all u want I am old and u will not sway me on my opinion of this, then again I would consider why my opinion matters to you and bothers you so much? Perhaps the problem is you not me?

It was when I stopped crying in my cheerios as you put it... and when I stopped caring what other people thought that I actually decided it was time to get the surgery. It's really quite freeing when you don't CARE how people will react to your personal health decision. I'm not losing weight to get accolades from people, I'm doing it for myself.. so frankly, I don't care what people think of my surgery. I don't care if you never change your mind. I have no desire to change your mind because your opinion on the topic has zero meaning to me.
  • vanishingirl
    Options
    I had surgery because I know that statistically, it is my best chance at keeping the weight off long term.

As for people thinking I am lazy, taking the easy way out, copping out, cheating, or whatever...I really don't care. I see it as their way of feeling morally superior for their chosen method of weight loss. They're so blindly ignorant about something they clearly know very little about, and it's obvious that their minds are made up, so it's not worth my time to argue about.

As someone else said, it's very similar to someone who chose to have a vaginal birth without medication feeling superior to someone who had an epidural or a c-section. There are a lot of people out there who have have had very successful WLS, but they keep it quiet because they're afraid of being judged & I haven't seen any legitimate reasons here why anyone else should care if someone chooses to have surgery or not. No anger here, as I've always been well aware of the ignorance people have on this subject. Unfortunately, it's not going away anytime soon.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I guess I'm pro weight loss surgery if you need it. But I'm not crying in my Cheerios. I just have empathy for people's struggles regardless of whether or not they had weight loss surgery. I'm not a Dr. so I'm not planning on telling anyone whether or not or have WLS. I just don't think it's my right to judge people who do it.
    You say you are old. You don't look it. You do look like you have worked really hard and you look fabulous for it. With sincerity I am impressed. I know that took hard work and dedication.
    You are right no one's life is perfect but we don't all react to trauma or difficulty the same way.

And for those complaining about tax dollars, long term diabetes care would cost far more than weight loss surgery. I really have a hard time understanding why people care so much what other people are doing with their lives? If it doesn't hurt you let it go.
  • Valencia123456
    Valencia123456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I know that sometimes you can be too heavy to move, added weight means added pressure to joints( knees, back, ankles, spine). That's not counting if they've already been damaged form the years of heavy weight/ age/ atrophy from not being used, etc. Soooo.... sometimes it is necessary to get a large amount off, BEFORE you can start getting to the point of movement,. Most successful programs do this while simultaneously working on the mind to overcome the obstacles there. Is it easier? No...just different. You don't know their story, or all the things they've been through. It's THEIR journey just like your journey is YOURS! Focus on your own strengths and successes, compare your self to the self of yesterday and try to see if you stronger or weaker than the person in the mirror. God bless all!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Than you have the right attitude.

My opinion should have no impact on your life. Nor should it upset you.'

Lets be friends. Anyone who is ok with my bad attitude is awesome.

Truth. When you truly don't care, you don't get upset.... you just DON'T FREAKING CARE. It's a wonderful feeling and something I wish I had learned earlier in my life. I spent far too much of my precious time fretting over what others would think of me instead of living my life to the fullest.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I guess I'm pro weight loss surgery if you need it. But I'm not crying in my Cheerios. I just have empathy for people's struggles regardless of whether or not they had weight loss surgery. I'm not a Dr. so I'm not planning on telling anyone whether or not or have WLS. I just don't think it's my right to judge people who do it.
    You say you are old. You don't look it. You do look like you have worked really hard and you look fabulous for it. With sincerity I am impressed. I know that took hard work and dedication.
    You are right no one's life is perfect but we don't all react to trauma or difficulty the same way.

And for those complaining about tax dollars, long term diabetes care would cost far more than weight loss surgery. I really have a hard time understanding why people care so much what other people are doing with their lives? If it doesn't hurt you let it go.

thats the point, we dont care

we have our opinions, go about our lives and let others do theirs

but when asked our opinions on the interwebs we express them.

Everyone judges, IRL a good judge keeps their opinions to themselves, the internet the gloves are off though..... just how it is

Point taken. There just seems to be a lot of anger about it and I don't understand it.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is a tool that I don't want....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Until I walk a mile in the shoes of someone who's done it or seriously considered it I can't really know. But do I, personally, think it's an "easy way out"? Nope. But again, I've never been obese. I've never spent years trying to become healthy. I've never failed. I've never been told by the doctors that I have to improve my health "or else". I've never been told I have diabetes, or heart disease or or or or. So I can't really know the experiences of someone in that situation.

I only know my situation, really.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I suppose for me, it depends on why the surgery is happening and what type of surgery you're referring to.

People who have gastric bypass surgeries to lose weight are still busting their butts to do it; they still have to control what they eat, learn new healthy habits etc, but for some it's an option to help them begin what is likely to be a long journey.

There are also lots of people who require weight loss surgeries because of the health risks of being the size they are outweigh the benefits of I suppose what you would refer to as a "natural weight loss".

I think it's a tool; it's just not a tool for you. It doesn't fit your situation or what you deem necessary.

But if someone is provided that tool by a weight loss center, specifically by someone with a medical degree, I certainly wouldn't judge them for using that option to begin a better, healthier life, nor would I shame them for it the way your post seems to.

You can have an opinion, but to say that it's an "easy way out" or "lazy" or that they haven't had to "bust their butts" like you have is just being cruel. I guarantee you the people who have these surgeries don't come to the decision lightly; they aren't looking for a quick fix nor do they have the impression that it's going to take them from 300lbs to 130 in no time flat. They're just using the tools that are available to them to begin a healthier life; what would you rather they did, had a heart attack attempting to perform the type of exercise that "busting your butt" might entail before their body is physically able to do so?
    Understand, but what keeps them from eating 1900 calories and starting an exercise program? If they are large, they got that way from eating unhealthy and to much and no exercise (most of them). Since they have to follow a strict program with surgery why can't they start that without the surgery? Many on here do and are successful.

Um…. Many people who get WLS cannot even walk, let alone exercise.
  • dulceproductions
    dulceproductions Posts: 19 Member
    Options

It was when I stopped crying in my cheerios as you put it... and when I stopped caring what other people thought that I actually decided it was time to get the surgery. It's really quite freeing when you don't CARE how people will react to your personal health decision. I'm not losing weight to get accolades from people, I'm doing it for myself.. so frankly, I don't care what people think of my surgery. I don't care if you never change your mind. I have no desire to change your mind because your opinion on the topic has zero meaning to me.

^^^^^^ This!
  • dulceproductions
    dulceproductions Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My beef with OP is for posting this in the "Success Stories" portion of the forum. People come to this part of the site to be motivated and inspired. All you have done is torn down a percentage of this group. Maybe this should have been posted at a different part of the site. I didn't read through all of the posts because I'm sure it's just defending one side or the other and nobody's minds have been changed. My point is, move this post somewhere else. Maybe "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" since you need help understanding that this is the best route for some (not you of course, that has been established).

I agree.

I second that.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I also consider it the easy way out. The lazy way to lose weight.

Unless a person is physically unable to move and is virtually bed ridden then there is no excuse.

Is it easy .. no probably not. But things worth doing .. are worth fighting for.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!