Chipotle is Giving Us Too Much Food

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm having freebirds tonight, but (although as an Aggie, I'm ashamed to say) I like chipotle better. Both places charge extra for guac, but you get the world's smallest portion of guac at freebirds that is completely not worth the money.

Also choosing to forego cheese tonight. My burrito bowl will be a little more sad, but the duck confit sandwich on Wednesday will be worth it!!!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    This whole thread was TL;DR

Having said that, if you think any restaurant experience is the exact amount of calories as listed, then you're setting yourself up for a really disappointing reality check. Everything is estimated...everything. Even packaged foods are not 100% accurate. The main point is to get as close as you can to your goal, pay attention to what goes in your mouth, and track progress for a while and make adjustments (either calorie goals, exercise, amount of times dining out and where, etc...whatever works for you) as you go along.

Also, I know my ticker doesn't say I've lost much, but I've been here a while and I've reset my ticker for a new goal.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience after contacting Dunkin Donuts asking about how many pumps of syrup were calculated for each size drink in the nutrition, and discovered my store adds about 3x that... yikes xD No wonder it was so good!
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've had chipotle probably 15 times in the last 35 days, and I've lost 23 pounds..
    It's really the only fast food I will eat.. So I make do with it. I always feel guilty consuming a 800-1000 calories meal in one sitting.. but it's too damn delicious haha.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Eh. Chipotle is delicious and only eaten occasionally. I ways go in there knowing full well I'm leaving stuffed from eating too much and I'm a a-okay with that.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly funny that when someone logs on here and says they are having problems losing weight, the very first response (and the 80 pile-on posts behind that) is "You're eating too much" and "you're not being accurate" and "you are underestimating.".

Yet when somebody comes on and tries to give info about how a popular chain can be calorically inaccurate, they're told to man up and stop whining.

I also love how respondents on this site will talk about calories as if they were some precise measurement ..." adjust by 100 calories"..." you need to up your calories by 250..." etc.

It's all very entertaining.
    I'm sorry, did you say something. I thought you did but with no face it just sounds like mumbling. Sorry there faceless warrior.

I usually find faceless peeps with no friends to be trolls by there OP.

So...if we don't post a picture of ourselves...we are trolls???

Oh well...I have been called worse I suppose.

Please see bold. LOL

To be honest...I only accept friend requests because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I am a horrible friend. I don't give thumbs up...or likes...or way to goes.

Honestly...I never thought about judging anyone based on if they have friends or not...especially on a message board.

I don't know...maybe that is just me...seems a little strange...I think.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly funny that when someone logs on here and says they are having problems losing weight, the very first response (and the 80 pile-on posts behind that) is "You're eating too much" and "you're not being accurate" and "you are underestimating.".

Yet when somebody comes on and tries to give info about how a popular chain can be calorically inaccurate, they're told to man up and stop whining.

I also love how respondents on this site will talk about calories as if they were some precise measurement ..." adjust by 100 calories"..." you need to up your calories by 250..." etc.

It's all very entertaining.
    I'm sorry, did you say something. I thought you did but with no face it just sounds like mumbling. Sorry there faceless warrior.

I usually find faceless peeps with no friends to be trolls by there OP.

So...if we don't post a picture of ourselves...we are trolls???

Oh well...I have been called worse I suppose.

Please see bold. LOL

To be honest...I only accept friend requests because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I am a horrible friend. I don't give thumbs up...or likes...or way to goes.

Honestly...I never thought about judging anyone based on if they have friends or not...especially on a message board.

I don't know...maybe that is just me...seems a little strange...I think.

Facepalm.gif
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I think JaneiR36 is offering reading tutoring, if that helps. :tongue:

I'll do what I can but some potential students are beyond hope!
  • Wyld_Stallyns
    Wyld_Stallyns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think any restaurant just gives a certain amount of food for a set price, but it's up to the individuals to use their discretion about serving size for their weight/height. For a 6'6" bodybuilder (my bf) it's one meal. For me, I split a burrito bowl into 2 or 3 meals. No one has to warn me that a giant bowl overflowing with food is too much for one sitting.

One thing that needs to be done is for schools to have a nutrition class mandatory for students that covers proper serving size and the dangers of obesity. Not everyone is going to educate themselves and, frankly, MOST parents do not have the proper information themselves, so there's no chance for them to pass it down to their kids.

But getting 2-3 meals for $9 is not something I'm upset at Chipotle about! lol I also only go to restaurants on occasion, which is something else people need to learn. Eating out is an indulgence, not a way of life.

(but, to the guy who started this topic, it is undoubtedly a helpful warning for some!)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to Whole Foods where everything is weighed.

You never mentioned you were independently wealthy. That changes things considerably.

(Also, I hope you have learned the difference between the "quote" and "reply" link in the dozen pages I have not yet read. If not, please try the "quote" link and see just how awesome it is for others to follow the conversation.)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    They need a location near me! Only in Toronto and Vancouver :sad:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Haha, I mean I'm trying to lose weight. Isn't that why everyone is on here?
    You'd think, in the WEIGHT LOSS forum, but no.

Many are here to brag about how much they can eat, apparently. I've never wanted to eat a burrito the size of my arm in minutes, but I guess some envy that skill?

I think Chipotle is careful with their quac servings but probably overdoes the cheap stuff-- rice and beans.

I'm sure this has already been addressed, but...

...you *do* know what "General Diet" means, right? Those aren't just extra words to pad the category title.

During the times I'm losing weight, I still eat an amount of calories that would probably draw your ire. Sorry about that. Perhaps you believe I should stop using MFP because of that?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    This is why you shouldn't eat it everyday. If it's extra calories only once in a while, it shouldn't affect anything. It doesn't for me. But I usually ask for 'only a little' of the rice and beans but count it as the full serving and such. I think this topic is a pretty moot point really.

Great. TIL that I'm doing it wrong.

Also, why would you intentionally "mislog" a partial serving as a whole serving? In what way does that result in an accurate food log (on which you can rely to make reasonable decisions about any necessary adjustments)?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I can't eat a whole burrito bowl anyway - if I'm getting Chipotle it is both lunch AND dinner. AND I get my white flour tortilla on the side to help scoop up the deliciousness. Chipotle is high in calories, and high in delicious flavor. I accept it the way it is.

Are you serious?

One time my husband wanted something else and I wanted Chipotle, so we went to Chipotle first got my burrito and by the time we drove over the the drive thru he wanted his thing from he looks over at me and goes "do you want anything here?" ....i had already killed that burrito.

giphy-4.gif

I mean, I didn't get overweight from eating halves of things at restaurants? I can't be the only one?

Haha I understand. It's just that I've eaten a whole burrito bowl maybe once, and that was when I hadn't eaten anything all day. If I eat a whole bowl I go into food coma city haha.

I eat entire burrito bowls after I do my weekend long runs because I have a "food rapture" that requires 3lbs of food to satisfy, or else seven trumpets will sound

I ate a whole burrito bowl for dinner tonight. Because.

And I was actually upset that the lady was so skimpy with the steak.

I sense that this thread may not align with my priorities. :indifferent:

I just returned from a steak bowl with fajita veggies white rice no beans two scoops of green cheese sour cream guacamole (yes, I know it is) and a bag of chips. I carefully watched and approved of the measured portions given so no further adjustment to my diary was warranted.

1355 calories, 37/46/16% (C/F/P), so not bad (albeit the bag of chips really pushes it away from ideal). Pro-tip: when working with fewer calories, the kid-sized mini-bag of chips is a solid choice.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    if you're getting a double portion of meat at chipotle, wait for them to put the first scoop on so you know how much a double portion should actually be

Agreed. Solid this^. They know me well enough that they often ask before the first scoop, "are you getting double meat today?" I never say "yes" but I "change" my mind sometimes. I'll also sometime ask for double meat when the first scoop is just a little too light (to me) rather than asking them for more just as a way to get more food without asking them to break corporate rules...and then I'll log it as 1/2-1 extra portion of steak depending on how much they ultimately give me.

TL;Dr - Chipotle ordering is serious business.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Yipes! Was that really necessary? I don't think he was bashing you in any way.

Probably not...

...but you know what *is* necessary? Using the quote link so others will know to whom you are referring.

(Also, I see that everyone else has already given up on this thread so I have a half dozen posts in a row now as I catch up. Most people who realize this would stop replying...but I'm not most people, so a full page of all jof all the time is likely.)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    and that is why I love Chipotle
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think the nastiness likely stems from the title of the thread.

There is a pervasive attitude on MFP amongst a good chunk of the regular posters that more foodz=more life. There is a real LOVE of food here, to an extent that's equal parts hilarious and extremely telling as to why so many people here struggle with weight.

I think if the title of this thread had been "Be careful, Chipotle's calorie counts on their website might be off" and he hadn't mentioned anything about "too much food" as a negative, we wouldn't have this nonsense. Because truly that dude said nothing else that would explain some of the more vehement responses.