Chipotle is Giving Us Too Much Food

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you go on their website and create a chicken bowl with no cheese or sour cream, it will tell you that you are consuming 480 calories. However, this number is based on Chipotle employees putting one full serving of all your ingredients in the bowl. Unfortunately, many employees will put twice the amount of rice and 50% more meat than they are supposed to, so without you knowing, your bowl becomes a 800 calorie bowl that you recorded as a 480 calorie bowl.

So eat all the meat and just nibble on the rice - Eastcoast Jim

...and from a few posts above this
    I work at Chipotle.

We're supposed to give out 7 ounces of rice, 4 ounces of meat, and 3.5 ounces each of the additional items. If you want your bowl to be "correct" tell them to measure out 4 ounces of rice, etc. A spoonful is 3.5 ounces...so when we scoop those extra bits of meat the second time, you're not getting double, we're just making it 4 ounces. The plastic side cups are 4 ounces, just for a visual. When I first started, I would just scoop all the meat into a side cup, and then dump it on the bowl.

Trust me, corporate has this down to a science. At my store we actually pulled out the food scale, just to confirm.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Finally, one last time for the cheap seats...

I work at Chipotle.

We're supposed to give out 7 ounces of rice, 4 ounces of meat, and 3.5 ounces each of the additional items. If you want your bowl to be "correct" tell them to measure out 4 ounces of rice, etc. A spoonful is 3.5 ounces...so when we scoop those extra bits of meat the second time, you're not getting double, we're just making it 4 ounces. The plastic side cups are 4 ounces, just for a visual. When I first started, I would just scoop all the meat into a side cup, and then dump it on the bowl.

Trust me, corporate has this down to a science. At my store we actually pulled out the food scale, just to confirm.

RFE (Redundant for emphasis)
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Me either. Food establishments have little to investment in your diet or personal health, their priority is profit. Your diet/intake/personal choice is your responsibility. I applaud the original poster for investigating the calories count for his own benefit but see not point beyond that except to say that when going out, it is highly likely you will not be able to trust the serving size given to you. I believe this is true for most establishments.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I hate their food. Way too much rice. Not enough meat.
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yipes! Was that really necessary? I don't think he was bashing you in any way.
  • carrie_lou
    Options
    Smart, I'm guessing you are new to the app based on your weight loss so far. Good luck and you will be amazed how much weight you lose if you really use the app.

Wow really?
    Some people reset their tickers to show smaller manageable goals.
    Ive lost over 20 pounds but my ticker shows 4.

I suggest getting your mouth shut on others tickers. Maybe grab some Chipotle to help you but I think your foot is taking up all the room.

That's not very nice! and if that is the case then why use the ticker/app? useless in my eyes and I'm sure that is what he was seeing as well, pfft. No need to be rude to others either
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who has never been to Chipotle.

I have these feels too. Never been to one.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yipes! Was that really necessary? I don't think he was bashing you in any way.

You might want to use the quote button so we know who you are responding to.
  • carrie_lou
    Options
    I agree, I would not want to be thinking that I am counting calories for a specific amount of food and find out that I am completely wrong especially on a diet. On the other hand if I were not on a diet and being thrifty with my dollar I would say Pile it on sister/brother.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I can't believe a thread about Chipotle hasn't had this posted:
    VAA1Cug.gif

The Vine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZIUHNORHg

EDIT: Spelling derpage
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This is true of practically every restaurant. You can't control how much the servers and cooks place on your plates, if they take the time to measure each of the burgers and steaks they cook for you, etc. You just have to estimate, or if you really want to stay accurate, don't eat out and prepare your own meals.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Never been to Chipotle and I don't eat out very much anymore for this reason. I want to know what is going into my meal and how much and how its prepared. it doesn't help to track the foods that a chain restaurant makes and gives set calorie amounts when their not following the portion amounts precisely. whats the point of putting on their menus the amount of calories if their just going to wing it when it comes to making your plate. for those that don't track and don't seem to mind it, then great, but for us that like tracking, I can see where it becomes annoying.
  • stardance1
    stardance1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hate their food. Way too much rice. Not enough meat.

...You know you can ask for less rice (or even no rice) right?
  • carrie_lou
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who has never been to Chipotle.

I have these feels too. Never been to one.

Never been to one either, but just happened to be with my husband in Lowe's and was looking at Consumer Reports magazine and it had the Best restaurants and it was rated at the top of a lot of the categories so I am probably going today. Started the day of gardening for the extra calories :) Might have to add a long walk later on now that I've read this
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't like to throw around the first world problems but... seriously... first world problems.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I still haven't tried Chipotle :sad:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I actually wanted to try it out for the longest time. I do love Qdoba which I have been told is pretty much the same thing and I love Qdoba!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I actually wanted to try it out for the longest time. I do love Qdoba which I have been told is pretty much the same thing and I love Qdoba!
    Never had either but there is a Qdoba nearby.
    My mission this weekend to eat there.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is useful information. I eat at Chipotle probably once a week because it's really tasty and because I know how many calories I'm getting. In my experience, the workers seem like they're giving me a spoon of everything, and if they go back with the spoon for a second go, it's usually because they're near the bottom of the container and the spoon wasn't full from the first pass.

I think if you watch them with the rice, the other ingredients probably aren't going to matter as much. I don't think I've ever gotten more than one spoonful of beans, and a little extra chicken is not going to matter as much.

Other people obviously see it differently, but to me, a bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajitas, chicken, and two kinds of salsa is a really filling dinner, especially if I'm there with a friend and don't wolf it down. Even if the calories were 25% higher than their online calculator says, it'd be a good choice.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: