000g44fx
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    God Zukko, you look like hell
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just contacted Chipotle to verify how many servings of each item are supposed to go into a burrito bowl. I was shocked to find out that myself and most other people who eat at Chipotle have consumed way more calories than they are supposed to. The nutrition facts on a burrito bowl include one spoonful of any item that you add to the nutrition calculator. Unfortunately, many if not all Chipotle employees will double things like the rice, which would add an extra 180 calories. I've also noticed that they usually add an additional half spoon of the meats they offer. Next time you go to Chipotle, ask for only one spoonful of each item or you may be consuming way more calories than you planned.
    I love Chipotle. I also consistently say, "Whoa...less please".
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I work at Chipotle.

We're supposed to give out 7 ounces of rice, 4 ounces of meat, and 3.5 ounces each of the additional items. If you want your bowl to be "correct" tell them to measure out 4 ounces of rice, etc. A spoonful is 3.5 ounces...so when we scoop those extra bits of meat the second time, you're not getting double, we're just making it 4 ounces. The plastic side cups are 4 ounces, just for a visual. When I first started, I would just scoop all the meat into a side cup, and then dump it on the bowl.

Trust me, corporate has this down to a science. At my store we actually pulled out the food scale, just to confirm.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Food comas, for me, are a part of the binge eating disorder I'm learning to handle. I wasn't judging anyone else or even myself.

I had no idea food coma's were a real thing. I thought it was a term people throw around just to describe the full feeling to sleep well from having carbs?

I apologize deeply.

Clearly there is still a lot about ED's I don't know.

Again. My sincere apologies.

I'll try to delete my post. :flowerforyou:

No worries!!! :-)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Take it home, weigh it out. I can't blame them for employees trying to make volume eaters happy. We've all been trained in this society to see more as a better deal, and hell, if it's all you can afford to eat that day, it is a better deal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone is so rude to the OP. He has a valid point. A lot of people mostly eat out, and might not be aware of the issue. I actually always thought that for fast food joints, it was pretty standard and employees had to stick to a specific serving size. I guess I was wrong, so thanks OP for the heads up.

I went to Chipotle once. It was good, but not that much better than my homemade salads for the calories, so I don't know if I will bother going again...
  • Lnature71
    Lnature71 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just contacted Chipotle to verify how many servings of each item are supposed to go into a burrito bowl. I was shocked to find out that myself and most other people who eat at Chipotle have consumed way more calories than they are supposed to. The nutrition facts on a burrito bowl include one spoonful of any item that you add to the nutrition calculator. Unfortunately, many if not all Chipotle employees will double things like the rice, which would add an extra 180 calories. I've also noticed that they usually add an additional half spoon of the meats they offer. Next time you go to Chipotle, ask for only one spoonful of each item or you may be consuming way more calories than you planned.

Thanks for the post! I find it very insightful!
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is a calorie bomb.

A yummy yummy calorie bomb that's even better when you use tortilla chips to scoop it up.

It's just one of those things that I plan for and eat half of.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    Part of the risk of going to a place like Chipotle is that measurement of food isn't going to be accurate. Next time bring your food scale.:laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I work at Chipotle.

We're supposed to give out 7 ounces of rice, 4 ounces of meat, and 3.5 ounces each of the additional items. If you want your bowl to be "correct" tell them to measure out 4 ounces of rice, etc. A spoonful is 3.5 ounces...so when we scoop those extra bits of meat the second time, you're not getting double, we're just making it 4 ounces. The plastic side cups are 4 ounces, just for a visual. When I first started, I would just scoop all the meat into a side cup, and then dump it on the bowl.

Trust me, corporate has this down to a science. At my store we actually pulled out the food scale, just to confirm.

That is really good to know. I was wondering how much or how little of the servings I was getting. I can tell my store is pretty spot on with portions, but i was curious about how they know. Thanks!!
  • maddyk91
    Options
    Also I eat there about once a week.....being a vegetarian there isn't terrible, either. :bigsmile: I am shameless about it. But I usually plan ahead of time so that I have the calories to spare, even into my 1200 cal plan!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Haha, I mean I'm trying to lose weight. Isn't that why everyone is on here?
    You'd think, in the WEIGHT LOSS forum, but no.

Many are here to brag about how much they can eat, apparently. I've never wanted to eat a burrito the size of my arm in minutes, but I guess some envy that skill?

I think Chipotle is careful with their quac servings but probably overdoes the cheap stuff-- rice and beans.
    Oh, someone's mad that we don't all share her love of VLCD.
    MrM- Did you ever notice virtually all your posts are not about the topic being discussed but are jabs at other posters? :laugh:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Definitely getting chipotle today. I enjoyed this thread ;)....great info from the employee too!
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For two years I ate the VEGETARIAN burrito at chiolte. it says VEGETARIAN on the menu. After 2 years I discovered that the pinto beans in the VEGETARIAN burrito is cooked with pork. I WAS NOT HAPPY.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you go on their website and create a chicken bowl with no cheese or sour cream, it will tell you that you are consuming 480 calories. However, this number is based on Chipotle employees putting one full serving of all your ingredients in the bowl. Unfortunately, many employees will put twice the amount of rice and 50% more meat than they are supposed to, so without you knowing, your bowl becomes a 800 calorie bowl that you recorded as a 480 calorie bowl.

So eat all the meat and just nibble on the rice - Eastcoast Jim
  • maddyk91
    Options
    For two years I ate the VEGETARIAN burrito at chiolte. it says VEGETARIAN on the menu. After 2 years I discovered that the pinto beans in the VEGETARIAN burrito is cooked with pork. I WAS NOT HAPPY.

They stopped doing that about 6 months ago--you're safe, now!! :P
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I had no idea food coma's were a real thing. I thought it was a term people throw around just to describe the full feeling to sleep well from having carbs?
    Ditto....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Take it home, weigh it out. I can't blame them for employees trying to make volume eaters happy. We've all been trained in this society to see more as a better deal, and hell, if it's all you can afford to eat that day, it is a better deal.

From a few posts above yours:
    I work at Chipotle.

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why everyone is so rude to the OP. He has a valid point. A lot of people mostly eat out, and might not be aware of the issue. I actually always thought that for fast food joints, it was pretty standard and employees had to stick to a specific serving size. I guess I was wrong, so thanks OP for the heads up.

I went to Chipotle once. It was good, but not that much better than my homemade salads for the calories, so I don't know if I will bother going again...

From a few posts above yours:
    I work at Chipotle.