Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dude dont wreck a good thing thats 2 meals in 1 for the price of one
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am literally reading this while eating a giant Chipotle burrito. Get at me.
    Lol love this
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I read, re-read, and read this post, and I'm still not seeing the issue.

Really? Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension. It's pretty straight forward. Chipoltle lists calorie counts for their food, he's simply pointing out that it's quite likely that what you're eating has more calories than what is listed.

I don't get why people want to reply in a rude or condescending way to a post like this. Some people might not be aware of this and it's a valid point. Doesn't stop me loving Chipotle or being completely happy to have them overload me with the guacomole but it's something to keep in mind.

It's just a no **** Sherlock Holmes moment is all. Eating food prepared by someone else is an excellent source of inaccuracy in logging. I thought a detail like that would be pretty hard to miss reading the forums but I suppose I guessed wrong

You have been here for a few years, OP has been here for a few months. The information was new to him and he thought he would share it with anyone who didn't already know. Seasoned veterans shouldn't be surprised when newbies are learning things for the first time, and they certainly shouldn't be nasty and treat them like idiots. These forums are incredibly lacking in civility.

Actually just about a year and half of logging. I honestly don't remember what the hell I thought MFP was when I first setup my account

My choice of words was directed towards a poster who'd asked someone else to "work on your reading comprehension". It was based on the assumption that they weren't some delicate flower. If you find the forums lacking in civility, I suppose you have a decision to make. And I can and will express surprise at anything that surprises me
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I had just strictly been on a Chipotle diet and planned on losing half a pound a week, I would actually be gaining weight. Not cool.

Are you trying to be Jared Fogle who lost all that weight eating at Subway :huh: ?!?
    More food for your money...eat 1/2 and have the other 1/2 for another meal :bigsmile:
    What are you complaining about...its a win/win deal :tongue:
    Take your food and run w/ it :laugh:
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Haha, I mean I'm trying to lose weight. Isn't that why everyone is on here?

Yes, but I'm here instead of other weight loss places/methods to lose weight WHILE enjoying delicious things like this...

burrito.jpg

Wow, that looks AMAZING!:love:
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    They are giving you more than the nutrition facts say. That is the problem. You think your burrito bowl is 480 calories, but it ends up being over 70 calories most times.

Well, I (for one!) Agree with you. It is a problem. When a restaurant claims a dish has a certain number of calories and it's in fact much higher...it leads the consumer to make assumptions about their diet.
    This is especially a problem for people like me, who only have say, 1300 calories per day allotted.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Haha, I mean I'm trying to lose weight. Isn't that why everyone is on here?

Yes, but I'm here instead of other weight loss places/methods to lose weight WHILE enjoying delicious things like this...

burrito.jpg

Wow, that looks AMAZING!:love:
    Yeah, right?!? :bigsmile: :love:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    They are giving you more than the nutrition facts say. That is the problem. You think your burrito bowl is 480 calories, but it ends up being over 70 calories most times.

Well, I (for one!) Agree with you. It is a problem. When a restaurant claims a dish has a certain number of calories and it's in fact much higher...it leads the consumer to make assumptions about their diet.
    This is especially a problem for people like me, who only have say, 1300 calories per day allotted.

It's a no win situation for restaurant chains since it comes down to the cooks. I used to work at a Taco Bell. Every item on their menu has a weight it is supposed to be. There is a digital food scale on the line at the end to check the items weight. If the employee makes the item at the correct weight, then the calorie count on the website should be fairly close to accurate. Now, where I worked the scale would only ever get used in 2 situations. One, when they were being evaluated. During evaluations employee's on the food line were expected to know the correct weight for every item on the menu and expected to be able to make it at the correct weight. Two, would be when they were learning to make new food items. Any other time you had 2 types of employees that would work on line. One would only give you about half of what you were supposed to get and the other would be overly "generous" with the portioning.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This is a "problem" at most places....they "attempt" to "pre-measure" everything out.....but the scoops are not totally accurate.....it's a fact of life lol......kinda like how, tonight I packed my protein "scoop" x2......and when I "weighed" the protein powder scoops, it was a couple grams more than the stated "36 grams" that 2 scoops should be ;)

All scoops are not created equal.....lol.....no matter how well you "pack" them......and it's the similar way in the restaurants...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

It's a no win situation for restaurant chains since it comes down to the cooks. I used to work at a Taco Bell. Every item on their menu has a weight it is supposed to be. There is a digital food scale on the line at the end to check the items weight. If the employee makes the item at the correct weight, then the calorie count on the website should be fairly close to accurate. Now, where I worked the scale would only ever get used in 2 situations. One, when they were being evaluated. During evaluations employee's on the food line were expected to know the correct weight for every item on the menu and expected to be able to make it at the correct weight. Two, would be when they were learning to make new food items. Any other time you had 2 types of employees that would work on line. One would only give you about have of what you were supposed to get and the other would be "generous" with the portioning.

:laugh:

Just thinking back to my some of my "side of rice" orders with like twenty rice grains floating around the bottom of the container. And yet I choked down the food and begrudgingly logged it as "120 calories". Geeeeez Mr. Teenager, give a girl some FOOD!! :sad:
  • Fat2_Fit
    Fat2_Fit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sweet more for my money. This is why I try to make everything myself.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Do none of you people have Freebirds? :huh:

Absolutely. Got it right here.

1396082355856170.jpg
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    I don't know if this is relevant, but I hear ya on portion sizes varying! Honestly, the employees SHOULD just stick to what their company/trainers taught them to put into each meal. There are guidelines for a reason.

I work at a chinese restaurant in a mall near my house, and I am always irritated by these loud, fatass customers who yell at me to add extra of everything when I'm putting their bowls together, even though the regular portions are QUITE large already, /and/ they are not paying any extra for that extra sesame chicken, ect.

so, it's actually greedy customers that get portions doubled up past what they should be, past what you are supposed to be paying for/and logging in as calories.

loud...fatass...greedy customers...

You must make a killing in tips!

Wow nice judgement.
    I'm actually a very, very sweet and bubbly person with every customer; people come back and are like "Heeey, I remember you, hi! :D"

but then there are the rude, loud, greedy people I'm talking about.
    I was once SWORN at by this very overweight woman who had demanded double meat, and when I quietly and politely explained it would be 2 dollars extra, she screamed at me to just "give me the god damn food and shut up"
    I'm not exaggerating.
    these are the joys of customer service, no matter how sweet I try to be. :/
    so thanks for judging me by what I say on a message board and would NEVER actually say at WORK.
    thanks.

Sugar, you opened yourself RIGHT on up to it, I hate to say it. Using the term "fatass" on a website where there are a quite a few people who are overweight/trying to lose weight- yeah, not gonna go over so well. What does it matter what size the person was who cussed you out? The woman cussed you out. I worked in retail for over 14 years. I couldn't tell you HOW many people cussed me, threw **** at me, *literally* threatened me with bodily harm, and you know what I did? I was a counter manager for two different cosmetic counters. I didn't care what size they were, what color they were, what sex they were, or otherwise-- it mattered not to me, I just wanted rid of them. Thinking about what you're *saying* seriously, might help. Saying the word "fatass" on a "Weight Loss Help" board- yeah, never a good idea.
  • Miss_1999
    Options
    I feel dumber after reading this thread

I'm pretty certain my IQ has gone down a few points as well.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

It's a no win situation for restaurant chains since it comes down to the cooks. I used to work at a Taco Bell. Every item on their menu has a weight it is supposed to be. There is a digital food scale on the line at the end to check the items weight. If the employee makes the item at the correct weight, then the calorie count on the website should be fairly close to accurate. Now, where I worked the scale would only ever get used in 2 situations. One, when they were being evaluated. During evaluations employee's on the food line were expected to know the correct weight for every item on the menu and expected to be able to make it at the correct weight. Two, would be when they were learning to make new food items. Any other time you had 2 types of employees that would work on line. One would only give you about half of what you were supposed to get and the other would be overly "generous" with the portioning.

And, as long as you hit 50% each way, everybody can be happy.
  • MJDiAmore
    Options

2) Let's not forget that if you're being health-conscious, you're probably not getting sour cream/excessive guac/etc on your burrito. So everything in the darn thing is actually quite healthy. Solid grains/lower GI carbs from brown rice, great fiber from your bean choice, an utterly STELLAR protein:fat ratio for any food, let alone fast food (roughly 5:2, which beats even an aggressive Macro balance of 50C:25F:25P), and a few USDA servings of veggies depending on your preferences.

What is inherently unhealthy about "sour cream/excessive guac"?

Also, what is inherently more healthy about "brown rice" compared to "white rice"?

Sour Cream - 60% Saturated (unhealthy) Fat - In a Chipotle serving you're looking at least 30-33% of your DV for the heart-unhealthy type of fat... and if there's anything that I've noticed Chipotle tends to overdeliver on it's the sour cream. Note that a serving on Chipotle's site is 2 oz. (and we've been informed that the spoons are a 3.5).

Guac - High Fat as well - often 1/3+ of your total DV (16g per serving, though as it is avocado based it is likely that a higher ratio of healthy fats is present)

Brown Rice vs. White Rice - https://www.google.com/#q=brown+rice+vs+white+rice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice Read the nutritional breakdowns for yourself. General talking points include less refinement = better whole grains. Significantly improved GI profile from the better ratio of total carbs:fiber carbs. White rice processing removes the bran oil which may help lower LDL cholesterol. The refinement process also strips several vitamins and minerals, most notably magnesium, manganese, and selenium. Another huge benefit of Chipotle brown rice vs white is that you reduce your sodium intake by 420 mg (~25% DV) when you make the switch!!

Wait, what???

:huh:

So then, what is inherently unhealthy about saturated fat?

As for the rice...sorry, but I don't find your evidence compelling. Here's some comparably-sourced information from the other side:

http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-details/2013/06/health-is-brown-rice-really-better-than-white-rice-myth.html
    http://ancestral-nutrition.com/why-white-rice-is-healthier-than-brown-rice/
    http://butterbeliever.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-healthy/

Clearly, certain myths (such as "saturated fat is bad" and "brown rice is healthy and white rice is unhealthy" are remarkably resilient.

Your evidence is orders of magnitude even less compelling. The first of those 3 links provides no scientific argument or valid scientific methodology for its "myth-busting conclusions" whatsoever. A statement such as "Many nutrition experts demonize white rice, potatoes, pasta, white bread, etc. because it's an easy rule to remember and grasp, but these foods are really only a problem if you overeat them, which usually happens when you slather them in salty, fatty, sugary sauces—also making them a vehicle for salt, sugar, and fat." is completely disingenuous. Because some people add other foods/toppings that are bad for you isn't even a valid argument for a comparison of 2 separate classes of foods.

"Usually the more unprocessed a food, the better, because it contains more nutrients, but in this case the unprocessed component of the brown-rice grain contains both nutrients (good things for us to consume) and some antinutrients (maybe not a good thing for us to consume), which are what the plant uses as a defense system against pests." might be even worse, because they give no supporting evidence to the supposed antinutrient contents of the brown rice. It is even specifically qualified as "maybe not a good thing" because they genuinely don't know, whereas we widely accept that processing is bad for our food.

As for saturated fat, there has been precisely 1 study that I have found through extensive research (because you can't just take 1 site on the Internet's word, 98% of nutritional advice sites are quack) that touts butter (not all saturated fat mind you) as a benefit in your diet (in moderation of course). Yet one of your links is suddenly proclaiming it a superfood?!? Surely that draws some skepticism from you? There is also the known link between Saturated fat and Cholesterol, of which the LDL Pattern B variety has a basically unquestioned negative effect.

I will say there is some interesting evidence I have found as to the links between Sat. Fat & Heart Disease in Europe, and going back to white rice sites love to tout the use of white rice in often 3rd world Asian nations as proof that it's not bad for you. Problem is the USA isn't a 3rd world country and we're not engaging in the same lifestyle as the people of the Asia-Pacific, who may often be toiling in fields or doing other various strenuous labor activities compared to our vastly higher ratio of desk job. There is still something to be said for environment and activity rates in our metabolisms.

For me personally, I have had my cardiologist specifically recommend I stay away from Sat. Fat due to its increase in heart disease risk. Again, I'm going to trust a licensed medical doctor over a website publishing early studies and making loud generalizations meant to influence. My doctor giving me advice isn't propaganda. Might that advice eventually become outdated? Perhaps, but surely one should trust the professional with the actual scientific background, who pieces together multiple sources of evidence. You can see the dissent even within the AHA here: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20140320/dietary-fats-q-a?page=2
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read through this whole thread. While looks entertaining, I'll just skip here to the end (as of now) and say my small piece.

Chipotle can put as much food into that little bowl/burrito/salad as they want. Hey, the more the merrier. However, I'm the one CHOOSING how much to put in my mouth. At the end of the day no matter how much they load that little tray up with, it's up to me what I do with it. Chipotle can't be gained for my weight gain or anyone else's.

Carry on, everyone! :smile:
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should read the thread or at least a page or the first post because the issue is not personal responsibility over how much you eat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    read the thread before posting a comment? Crazy talk.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    read the thread before posting a comment? Crazy talk.

Not me. I just assume that when I jump into a thread on page 15 without reading, that whatever insight I have to share has not already been offered...and discussed...and debated...and that the conversation has not evolved any at all in those previous 15 pages.