Diet Recipes Only

Options
1235»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am listening to what others are saying, and I will take all of it into account, however, this topic was created for those who do want to eat healthy type food in lieu of bacon wrapped snicker candy bars. Anyone who doesn't agree could have just not came to this topic, or left it promptly. I feel like I am being attacked for creating a topic. I am in disbelief... I just want this topic deleted.

How is that unhealthy if you've met your nutritional needs for the day and it fits within your calorie goal?

The amount of calories in food should not be a marker for healthy or unhealthy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Also, low fat products tend to have less calories. I do think they have more sodium though. So I guess it is all in what YOU want to have more of in your diet. I choose to have less fat, and to do the low sodium option of other items when possible such as:nuts, beans, etc. Please, no more questioning my intentions as I created this topic with only the best of intentions. Please only post low calorie and/or low fat recipes under this topic. No one has to post or look at this topic if they do not like it... As for me, I will continue to look at all of the topics to get ideas. I just hate having to weed through all the cake and other goodies is all, which is why I created this topic. I hope that at least some people can understand where I am coming from and what I meant by HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS recipes/pictures. I look forward to seeing more recipes here... :)

1. People are trying to help you is all.

2. Other people reading this may buy into your "fat is bad" philosophy, so it goes beyond you. This is a public forum.

3. You continue to actively promote low fat as HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS recipes. That's just not the case. I will kill my calorie count 1,000 X faster with spaghetti and plain marinara than I would with eggs, cheese and a serving of bacon.

Can this topic be deleted? I am done. My low fat and/or low calorie philosophy of eating healthy foods is a whole lot better than eating bacon wrapped snickers bars as someone mentioned above... I just wanted a topic without the junk food is all... I am so sorry I ever made the topic.

Instead of getting upset, take a moment and maybe listen to what is being said. When I yo yo dieted I thought the same things you do, I believed all of that when I started back in January 2013, but luckily I listened to the people that had achieved what I was hoping to, got a better understanding of nutrition and because of that I have almost reached my goal.

Do whatever you choose to do, but there are others that may read this and they don't need to believe all the diet myths.

Listen to her. ^^^
    Her weight counter alone should be enough to think, "Hmmm... Maybe I should listen to these people."

Yes, perhaps she is correct, however, that is not what this topic was created for. I realize that you can lose weight eating nothing but hot dogs, however it is not a very healthy thing to do... Again, I just wanted a topic where there wouldn't be any junk food or other foods that are not good for you. I don't get how everyone is arguing with me and telling me I am wrong for wanting to only eat healthy foods. I really am quite surprised that I am getting all of this negativity for creating this topic... Just post recipes that are low in calories and aren't full of nothing but sugar... That is all I was asking for... All of these posts telling me I am wrong is not needed. Thank you.
    I disagree. I think trying to demonize food is not healthy and lurkers should be aware that they don't have to try to be so restrictive and that you there is no "bad" food.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    OP, I say this with all sincerity....

The quote in your profile pic says "We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." You are the dog in that picture; the rest of us are trying to be the horse.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Also, low fat products tend to have less calories. I do think they have more sodium though. So I guess it is all in what YOU want to have more of in your diet. I choose to have less fat, and to do the low sodium option of other items when possible such as:nuts, beans, etc. Please, no more questioning my intentions as I created this topic with only the best of intentions. Please only post low calorie and/or low fat recipes under this topic. No one has to post or look at this topic if they do not like it... As for me, I will continue to look at all of the topics to get ideas. I just hate having to weed through all the cake and other goodies is all, which is why I created this topic. I hope that at least some people can understand where I am coming from and what I meant by HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS recipes/pictures. I look forward to seeing more recipes here... :)

2. Other people reading this may buy into your "fat is bad" philosophy, so it goes beyond you. This is a public forum.

3. You continue to actively promote low fat as HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS recipes. That's just not the case. I will kill my calorie count 1,000 X faster with spaghetti and plain marinara than I would with eggs, cheese and a serving of bacon.

Can this topic be deleted? I am done. My low fat and/or low calorie philosophy of eating healthy foods is a whole lot better than eating bacon wrapped snickers bars as someone mentioned above... I just wanted a topic without the junk food is all... I am so sorry I ever made the topic.

Instead of getting upset, take a moment and maybe listen to what is being said. When I yo yo dieted I thought the same things you do, I believed all of that when I started back in January 2013, but luckily I listened to the people that had achieved what I was hoping to, got a better understanding of nutrition and because of that I have almost reached my goal.

Do whatever you choose to do, but there are others that may read this and they don't need to believe all the diet myths.

Listen to her. ^^^
    Her weight counter alone should be enough to think, "Hmmm... Maybe I should listen to these people."

Yes, perhaps she is correct, however, that is not what this topic was created for. I realize that you can lose weight eating nothing but hot dogs, however it is not a very healthy thing to do... Again, I just wanted a topic where there wouldn't be any junk food or other foods that are not good for you. I don't get how everyone is arguing with me and telling me I am wrong for wanting to only eat healthy foods. I really am quite surprised that I am getting all of this negativity for creating this topic... Just post recipes that are low in calories and aren't full of nothing but sugar... That is all I was asking for... All of these posts telling me I am wrong is not needed. Thank you.

Here's the problem... In order to gain the "low cal/low fat" title, they usually add things to foods and it's usually in the form of extra carbs/sugar.

Also, no one is attacking you... These people are giving you sound advice, based on experience. It's not their opinion, it's fact proven by experience.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Listen to her. ^^^

No one said to eat a diet of nothing but hot dogs and sugar. No one is arguing with you. Explanations are being given, food is not good or bad, it's strictly food. Low fat doesn't make it healthy that went out in the 80s trust me I did the low fat craze back then. Low calorie doesn't make it healthy.

The Shrimp Po boy picture I posted earlier had protein, fat, carbs, fiber and was absolutely delicious. It isn't unhealthy, is it something I eat every day no, but it is something I can fit into my day and enjoy.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a lot of pictures and recipes of foods/meals that are not diet recipes so I am creating this topic for people like me who are trying to lose a great deal of weight. Pictures would be great! :)

I figured I may get a reply such as this when writing it, but I just wanted to keep it as a general "diet". What I really meant was, I don't want to see recipes or pictures of cake, bacon, and/or other foods that are not considered weight loss food items. Basically, I am eating healthy foods which would obviously exclude most fast foods, fried foods (except in olive oil), sugary deserts, junk food, processed foods, pop, candy, non lean meats, full fat dairy products, etc. Anything considered healthy is fine, even if it is full fat items, as they can easily be changed for people like me who choose not to eat them right now.

I googled to see if there was a such thing as deep fried bacon cake after this... couldn't find it. Deep fried bacon exists though, and like everything else in moderation is delicious.

I'm not entirely here to troll though, so here are some healthy recipies I enjoy.
    http://365-and-still-alive.tumblr.com/post/93114980561/black-bean-corn-and-turkey-chili-nutrition
    http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/

The majority of my foods though don't come with a recipe, it's me using lean meat, spiced/marinated in a way I feel like for that day, with whatever veggies I have in the house cooked with whatever spices etc. For example, dinner tonight? Honey mustard marinated pork chop with sides of rice and zucchini and red pepper grilled with a bit of olive oil and vegetable seasoning mix.
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Okay, I read the whole thread... can someone please post the recipe for the bacon wrapped Snickers? How do you cook the bacon without ruining the structural integrity of the Snickers bar? Should I roll the bar in batter first then wrap the bacon? HELP!!
  • Cheeseburger85
    Options
    Also, I haven't made this one yet but found it on here previously - sorry I can't remember who posted it to give credit.

Protein Banana Bread
    -265g very ripe bananas- mashed well
    2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I have/used cinnamon graham cracker, worked well)
    2 egg whites
    3 whole eggs (I used the 3 egg equivalent of egg beaters)
    1/2c skim milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2c oats (it calls for rolled, but all I have is quick oats, still worked)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp of baking powder

Preheat oven to 325. Whisk the eggs & milk in with the mashed bananas until combined well. Mix dry ingredients and whisk in with the banana mixture. Pour mixture (it'll be pretty runny) into sprayed loaf pan and bake 35-45 mins (until knife put in middle comes out clean).
    It doesn't rise a ton like regular bread, it's pretty dense when it's all said & done. I didn't add any, but it would be good to sprinkle some walnuts or chocolate chips on top too!

Info: 8 servings
    Cals- 101
    Carbs- 13
    Fat- 1
    Protein- 11
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Okay, I read the whole thread... can someone please post the recipe for the bacon wrapped Snickers? How do you cook the bacon without ruining the structural integrity of the Snickers bar? Should I roll the bar in batter first then wrap the bacon? HELP!!

http://dessert.betterrecipes.com/death-by-snickers.html
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The majority of my foods though don't come with a recipe, it's me using lean meat, spiced/marinated in a way I feel like for that day, with whatever veggies I have in the house cooked with whatever spices etc. For example, dinner tonight? Honey mustard marinated pork chop with sides of rice and zucchini and red pepper grilled with a bit of olive oil and vegetable seasoning mix.

Step one - go to your local spice shop (or check out Penzeys online) and order a boatload of new and interesting (salt free/sugar free/MSG free/gluten free/etc free) herb and spice blends. We love curries, chilis, bouquet garni, herbs de provance, balti, english rub, taco/fajita seasoning, zatar, etc...

Step two - select your protein - tofu, fish, shrimp, steak, chicken, bison, ostrich, scallops, etc.

Step three - select your veggies - what's in season and available?

Step four (optional) - select a starch - rice, pasta, potatoes

Step five (the fun step) - start combining one or more items from each step. weigh them. log them. cook them (grill, sautee, roast, steam). eat them.

A bajillion recipes - endless combinations by following Merisa's patented 5 steps to healthy cooking! It's like your very own mongolian bbq. :D

Please don't be butthurt OP. You're new here. What it sounded like was you were being critical or couldn't understand the recipes or photos that others were posting. I agree - I think the ice cream threads and the big chocolate cake photos are annoying. But if you already know what you're doing with replacing ingredients that fit your needs, and you're already aware of other websites where you can find good recipes, then maybe you could share with us some of your favorites, and we'd be happy to respond.

I don't think the majority of folks here are suggesting that we all just stuff our faces with saturated and trans fat or loads of sugar. But eating nothing but ground turkey (my personal worst nightmare) or fat free cheese is also not thought to be sustainable or contributing to a healthy lifestyle overall.
  • Cheeseburger85
    Options

http://dessert.betterrecipes.com/death-by-snickers.html

Holy mackinaw!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    In a way I can understand the restriction, I'm doing it myself while I learn portion control. When I feel like I can fit in the good stuff again I will, but I know that to have a long term good relationship with food you have to keep yourself open to all types.
  • jstewa40
    jstewa40 Posts: 27
    Options
    Originally, I thought I could just post the topic's name, but then it made me make a post in order to do it. I was in a hurry so I put what I did without giving it much thought first... I never fathomed that I would get all of the negative responses that I have. I thought that we were all here to support and motivate each other, or at the very least just be helpful by posting recipes/foods that are healthy and/or helpful to significant weight loss. I understand that different people have different feeling as to what entails being healthy. However, that is not the point. The point is that this particular topic was made for those people who DO choose to eat low calorie AND/OR low fat meals. If you don't agree, don't come to this topic. Thank you and have a nice evening. :)
  • jstewa40
    jstewa40 Posts: 27
    Options
    I think the OP is just looking for folks to contribute some food ideas that are on the healthier side (lower in cals, fats or carbs, whatever works for them) and recipes to go along with it. We don't need to nitpick the "diet" aspect of the question too much, I think:)

+1 for this. I still eat (mostly) whatever I want, but I am always looking for new, healthy recipes to add to the mix and keep things interesting. :)

Yes, exactly... to both of you... That is exactly why I created this topic.... :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    In response to your OP (sorry, no picture):
    One of my favorite "lower-calorie" versions of a traditional recipe is eggplant (aubergines) parmesan, because I love eggplant and I don't much care for fried/breaded foods, anyway (I thought I hated seafood as a child because I was probably 10 or 12 before I was offered anything other than fish sticks or breaded shrimp and oysters). (I do make an exception for deep-fried twinkies ;-)

Slice the eggplant (I like to do them lengthwise, from blossom to stem, in planks, but you can do them in cross-section coins if you prefer -- and it depends a bit on the size of your eggplant and the size of your pan). If you like, salt them and let them sit for 5 or 10 minutes -- it draws out some of the liquid, and some people feel it makes them less bitter. If you salted them, pat them dry after the 5 or 10 minutes.

Now grill or broil the eggplant. I usually coat them with a little olive oil first, but it's not absolutely necessary, although you'll probably want to put them on a nonstick surface (e.g., easy-release aluminum foil) if you don't.

Now put the eggplant in the bottom of your baking pan. (I like to use an earthenware shallow casserole dish, but glass or metal will also work fine.) Cover with your favorite tomato or marinara sauce (if you make your own, you can control the fat, salt, and or sugar, if any of those concern you, as well as controlling the accent flavors, like garlic, onions, basil and other herbs, hot pepper, etc. for your own preference. But if there's a commercially prepared brand you really like, go for it.)

Top with cheese. I usually use a little mozzarella or provolone, as well as parmesan, obviously, but go with what you like, and use an amount that works for you. I really like eggplant and tomatoes, so a moderate amount of real cheese is generally enough for me in this dish.

I finish it in the oven at around 350 to 375 degrees F (I think that's around 175 to 190 degrees C) for 20 minutes or so, until the cheese is melted and the mozzarella or provolone starts to get a little brown in spots. You could probably finish it under the broiler in less time, but my broiler doesn't have a glass door, so it's a pain to keep pulling it out to check on it.

In response to the thread in general: I know a lot of people sincerely believe they are being helpful with their responses, but I can understand how you felt you were being attacked. I think a lot of people are responding to the sense in your post that you ONLY want to eat healthy or diet foods, and that tends to trigger an onslaught of "that's the wrong way to do it" posts. I wouldn't want to try to eat that way for any length of time myself, but if you do, go ahead. If it's not workable for you, I'm sure you'll find out soon enough.

Today I've had chocolate, and I'm going to have pasta with a fat-based garlic sauce for dinner. Yesterday I had peanut butter at breakfast, mayonnaise on my sandwich at lunch, 2% (not skim) milk, a cherry Pop Tart with cherry frozen yogurt in the afternoon, butter on my corn at dinner, and a full cup of ice cream after dinner. But I don't see the harm to having some lower calorie (and yes, lower fat) recipes in my toolbox. People keep telling you to make the bacon and ice cream and cake "fit into your day." I don't know how they think you can do that without adjusting some of the other things you eat. Yes, I had the peanut butter, but it was on a single slice of wheat toast. Yes, I managed to fit in the mayo on my sandwich, but I didn't have potato chips on the side. Yes, I had the Pop Tart, frozen yogurt, and ice cream, but dinner was a feast of fresh summer veggies and fruit -- no fat other than the butter on the corn (about a teaspoon) and the tiny amount naturally occurring in the corn. As for the people who keep saying that low-fat foods are bad because they add salt and sugar to make them taste good (and why do I think that these are the same people who would have told you that salt and sugar aren't bad if you were asking for low-sodium or sugar-free recipes?), the OP is asking for recipes, not recommendations of low-fat prepared foods from the grocer's shelf. I don't think my eggplant parmesan has extra salt and sugar--it probably has less, as I often make my own sauce.

It's unfortunate, but there are a lot of true believers on here who think that there is only one right way to do this, and a lot of perfectly reasonable posts requesting one kind of help don't get the kind of response that the OP is looking for.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Also, I haven't made this one yet but found it on here previously - sorry I can't remember who posted it to give credit.

Protein Banana Bread
    -265g very ripe bananas- mashed well
    2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I have/used cinnamon graham cracker, worked well)
    2 egg whites
    3 whole eggs (I used the 3 egg equivalent of egg beaters)
    1/2c skim milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2c oats (it calls for rolled, but all I have is quick oats, still worked)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp of baking powder

Preheat oven to 325. Whisk the eggs & milk in with the mashed bananas until combined well. Mix dry ingredients and whisk in with the banana mixture. Pour mixture (it'll be pretty runny) into sprayed loaf pan and bake 35-45 mins (until knife put in middle comes out clean).
    It doesn't rise a ton like regular bread, it's pretty dense when it's all said & done. I didn't add any, but it would be good to sprinkle some walnuts or chocolate chips on top too!

Info: 8 servings
    Cals- 101
    Carbs- 13
    Fat- 1
    Protein- 11

I have some PP to get rid of, I'm totally going to try this tomorrow and report back! I have both chocolate and vanilla PP - any requests for one of the specific flavours? If not (or if no response) I'm leaning towards chocolate myself.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is just looking for folks to contribute some food ideas that are on the healthier side (lower in cals, fats or carbs, whatever works for them) and recipes to go along with it. We don't need to nitpick the "diet" aspect of the question too much, I think:)

+1 for this. I still eat (mostly) whatever I want, but I am always looking for new, healthy recipes to add to the mix and keep things interesting. :)

Yes, exactly... to both of you... That is exactly why I created this topic.... :)

I'd suggest you create a new topic then titled "Share nutritious/well-balanced meal ideas and recipes!" because something can be healthy and still be higher in fat or higher in carb (hello, fruit?) or higher in calories (cherries, grapes, dried fruit, bananas, nuts, oil, certain dairy products, etc). In which case, if a recipe calls for full-fat greek yogurt, you could try substituting 0% or 2% instead. Or use less oil. Or more veggies than cheese, etc.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    rachelrb85 wrote: »
    Oh and I also lost 25 lbs eating food like this. All in moderation. No recipes available for these.
    pizzaslice.jpg
    History-of-Ice-Cream-1.jpg
    donuts-main.png

Takes some pizza for the go.